Thread: Matthew "Waffles" Bahna (27) committed suicide by jumping off the Adventura Hotel at Universal

Matthew "Waffles" Bahna (27) committed suicide by jumping off the Adventura Hotel at Universal

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...7wa-story.html

At 27, Matthew Bahna had just lost his job and he was upset about the direction his life had taken.

After turning in his uniform at Cold Stone Creamery in Celebration on Aug. 11, he took a Lyft to Universal?s Adventura Hotel and went up to the 17th floor rooftop bar at about 10 p.m. He consumed six drinks over more than two hours at the bar, which has a panoramic view and is surrounded by an 8-foot glass wall.

Just after 12:30 a.m., Bahna used a couch to scale the glass. After three attempts, he was able to pull himself over the glass and jumped to his death, according to a report from an Orlando police detective who reviewed security camera footage of the incident.

Now his father, Alfred Bahna, wants to know why his 5-foot-6 son was able to climb over the barrier and why no employees at the bar intervened to prevent his suicide. He hopes that speaking out about what happened will prompt the hotel to make security enhancements and prevent another tragedy.
    Those who knew Matthew Bahna, known as Waffles because of his affinity for the food, said they were shocked by his suicide.

?He?s the kind of person you could never be upset around unless you really hated fun,? said his roommate Max Eiss, 26. ?He really had a way of lifting everyone?s spirits. He was such a unique and lovable individual who made everyone laugh.?

Bahna never told anyone about losing his job. A few days after his death, his father found a note in his glove box saying life was hard and he was feeling depressed. ?He was very outgoing, but not with his problems,? his father said. Said Eiss: ?He kept a smile on his face because he didn?t want to hurt or make us worried.?
    His TY:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBT...EYymqR9kkR2Neg

FB:https://www.facebook.com/matt.bahna

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2019...l_at_Universal
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 11-14-2019 at 10:00 AM.

How very sad. It looks like he was their only child too.

https://www.osceolamemgds.com/obitua...na/#!/Obituary

Matthew "Waffles" James Bahna, 27, of Kissimmee, passed away on Monday, August 12, 2019.
    Matt was born on June 7, 1992 a son to Alfred and Kerry (Ryan) Bahna in Brooklyn, NY. Matthew worked as a Musician and enjoyed taking photographs. Matthew is survived by his loving parents Alfred and Kerry Bahna.
    Visitation will be held Friday, August 16, 2019, 1:30 pm - 4:00 pm at Osceola Memory Gardens, Kissimmee, FL.

Funeral services will be held on Friday, August 16, 2019, 3:00 pm at the Osceola Memory Gardens Funeral Home, Kissimmee, FL.

Cremation will take place at a later date.

The father is clearly looking for money. The hotel employees are not trained mental health professionals or law enforcement officers and didn't know if Mr. Waffles was dangerous or not; I don't blame them for not intervening. It's not the hotel's fault that Mr. Waffles had depression or that Mr. Bahna didn't really know what his son was going through.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaHag42 View Post
    The father is clearly looking for money. The hotel employees are not trained mental health professionals or law enforcement officers and didn't know if Mr. Waffles was dangerous or not; I don't blame them for not intervening. It's not the hotel's fault that Mr. Waffles had depression or that Mr. Bahna didn't really know what his son was going through.
    The father wants tighter security, not money.

Wow. You certainly have a very negative view of anyone who has mental health issues. Also, not everyone is looking for money or to clean up after they/their family are victims of crime. While I think that Matthew probably would have found another way to try to do it if he couldn't have jumped off this hotel, what's wrong with trying to make sure someone can't jump, or even fall, of this hotel roof?

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Wow. You certainly have a very negative view of anyone who has mental health issues. Also, not everyone is looking for money or to clean up after they/their family are victims of crime. While I think that Matthew probably would have found another way to try to do it if he couldn't have jumped off this hotel, what's wrong with trying to make sure someone can't jump, or even fall, of this hotel roof?
    Your assumption is baseless and incorrect as I have dealt with depression since childhood and my husband has 5 psychiatric disorders stemming from his service in Iraq, that's why I defended Shannon DeFranco when someone stated that she probably killed herself from "not enough vacations in Maui." The lawsuit isn't REALLY about safety; his dad is going trying to find the hotel at fault to score a payday--It happens all of the time--They can't have their loved one back so they want someone to pay for their pain. Mr. Waffles had to scale a large partition to jump--Nobody is just going to just up and fall off of that building. Not only that, you can't "suicide proof" an establishment--People can kill themselves with anything at anytime should they decide to.

Your assumption is baseless and incorrect as I have dealt with depression since childhood and my husband has 5 psychiatric disorders stemming from his service in Iraq, that's why I defended Shannon DeFranco when someone stated that she probably killed herself from "not enough vacations in Maui." The lawsuit isn't REALLY about safety; his dad is going trying to find the hotel at fault to score a payday--It happens all of the time--They can't have their loved one back so they want someone to pay for their pain. Mr. Waffles had to scale a large partition to jump--Nobody is just going to just up and fall off of that building. Not only that, you can't "suicide proof" an establishment--People can kill themselves with anything at anytime should they decide to.
    If this is the case, you might want to work on your empathy because you come across as judgemental, mean and condescending about mental health issues. Also, I don't see where it even says this guy is suing...it just says he wants them to add more security. You're just jumping to conclusions that he is suing, and getting on some anti lawsuit soapbox. Don't project your issues onto other people just because you THINK they might do something.

Gtfo with your anecdotal story that is probably a total crock of crap and your obnoxious claim that the dad is out for money and not trying to prevent any future suicides from the location in question.

Thread Information