Thread: Matthew "Waffles" Bahna (27) committed suicide by jumping off the Adventura Hotel at Universal

Matthew "Waffles" Bahna (27) committed suicide by jumping off the Adventura Hotel at Universal

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...7wa-story.html

At 27, Matthew Bahna had just lost his job and he was upset about the direction his life had taken.

After turning in his uniform at Cold Stone Creamery in Celebration on Aug. 11, he took a Lyft to Universal?s Adventura Hotel and went up to the 17th floor rooftop bar at about 10 p.m. He consumed six drinks over more than two hours at the bar, which has a panoramic view and is surrounded by an 8-foot glass wall.

Just after 12:30 a.m., Bahna used a couch to scale the glass. After three attempts, he was able to pull himself over the glass and jumped to his death, according to a report from an Orlando police detective who reviewed security camera footage of the incident.
    His TY:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBT...EYymqR9kkR2Neg

FB:https://www.facebook.com/matt.bahna

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2019...l_at_Universal
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 11-17-2022 at 01:58 PM.

The father is clearly looking for money. The hotel employees are not trained mental health professionals or law enforcement officers and didn't know if Mr. Waffles was dangerous or not; I don't blame them for not intervening. It's not the hotel's fault that Mr. Waffles had depression or that Mr. Bahna didn't really know what his son was going through.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaHag42 View Post
    The father is clearly looking for money. The hotel employees are not trained mental health professionals or law enforcement officers and didn't know if Mr. Waffles was dangerous or not; I don't blame them for not intervening. It's not the hotel's fault that Mr. Waffles had depression or that Mr. Bahna didn't really know what his son was going through.
    The father wants tighter security, not money.

Wow. You certainly have a very negative view of anyone who has mental health issues. Also, not everyone is looking for money or to clean up after they/their family are victims of crime. While I think that Matthew probably would have found another way to try to do it if he couldn't have jumped off this hotel, what's wrong with trying to make sure someone can't jump, or even fall, of this hotel roof?

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Wow. You certainly have a very negative view of anyone who has mental health issues. Also, not everyone is looking for money or to clean up after they/their family are victims of crime. While I think that Matthew probably would have found another way to try to do it if he couldn't have jumped off this hotel, what's wrong with trying to make sure someone can't jump, or even fall, of this hotel roof?
    Your assumption is baseless and incorrect as I have dealt with depression since childhood and my husband has 5 psychiatric disorders stemming from his service in Iraq, that's why I defended Shannon DeFranco when someone stated that she probably killed herself from "not enough vacations in Maui." The lawsuit isn't REALLY about safety; his dad is going trying to find the hotel at fault to score a payday--It happens all of the time--They can't have their loved one back so they want someone to pay for their pain. Mr. Waffles had to scale a large partition to jump--Nobody is just going to just up and fall off of that building. Not only that, you can't "suicide proof" an establishment--People can kill themselves with anything at anytime should they decide to.

Your assumption is baseless and incorrect as I have dealt with depression since childhood and my husband has 5 psychiatric disorders stemming from his service in Iraq, that's why I defended Shannon DeFranco when someone stated that she probably killed herself from "not enough vacations in Maui." The lawsuit isn't REALLY about safety; his dad is going trying to find the hotel at fault to score a payday--It happens all of the time--They can't have their loved one back so they want someone to pay for their pain. Mr. Waffles had to scale a large partition to jump--Nobody is just going to just up and fall off of that building. Not only that, you can't "suicide proof" an establishment--People can kill themselves with anything at anytime should they decide to.
    If this is the case, you might want to work on your empathy because you come across as judgemental, mean and condescending about mental health issues. Also, I don't see where it even says this guy is suing...it just says he wants them to add more security. You're just jumping to conclusions that he is suing, and getting on some anti lawsuit soapbox. Don't project your issues onto other people just because you THINK they might do something.

Gtfo with your anecdotal story that is probably a total crock of crap and your obnoxious claim that the dad is out for money and not trying to prevent any future suicides from the location in question.

https://insidethemagic.net/2020/09/f...sal-hotel-tm1/

Father Sues Universal After Son Jumps From Aventura Hotel
    IN UNIVERSAL ORLANDO

Posted on September 23, 2020 by TJ Muscaro12

A father is suing Universal Orlando Resort, Loews Corp., and several other organizations after his son committed suicide in 2019 by jumping from the roof-top bar, Bar 17 Bistro at Universal’s Aventura Hotel.

According to the Orlando Sentinel, Alfred Bahna believes his 27-year-old son Matthew’s demise to be a wrongful death, accusing the Universal Orlando hotel’s employees of excessively serving his son alcohol while he was in an open-air rooftop bar that lacked sufficient barriers. Bahna filed the suit last week for more than $30,000 in Orange Circuit Court.

Bahna claims in the lawsuit that his son was “intoxicated to the extent that his normal faculties and judgment were substantially and significantly impaired,” claiming his son — who was 5’3″ — drank six tall drinks in only 90 minutes.

The lawsuit also claims that Matthew remained at the bar close to midnight and began acting suspiciously, scaling the perimeter walls and no bar employees were monitoring him.

After three attempts, Matthew was able to pull himself over the glass wall and jump to his death.

“The defendants knew or should have known that the open-air design of the rooftop deck of the Bar 17 Bistro was unsafe and had inadequate barrier protection,” the lawsuit states, alleging it was “foreseeable” that it was possible for drunk patrons to climb on a sink or furniture to scale a barrier wall that lacked “protective measures, such as anti-climb roller bars.”

“We want Universal to put up safeguards, whether it be a net, more security, spikes on top of the wall, whatever it is,” Alfred Bahna told the Sentinel last year. “They have plenty of money to do it right.”

Universal, Loews, and the Bahna family attorney were all unavailable for comment, according to the Orlando Sentinel’s report.

If you are ever in a crisis, know that help is available. Please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255), or contact the Crisis Text Line by texting TALK to 741741.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Clearly the father simply wants Universal to implement safeguards, as 30K is not 'looking for money' like the angry SeaHag above insinuated.

Uh-oh. Wonder if Seahag will be back to say "I told you so!"?

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    Clearly the father simply wants Universal to implement safeguards, as 30K is not 'looking for money' like the angry SeaHag above insinuated.
    Exactly. This is a lawsuit to prove a point and make them take safety precautions. a 30k lawsuit isn't even worth filing as far as money goes.

People sometimes try to blame others when their loved ones kill themselves.

The father wants enhanced security measures. The place had an 8ft glass wall, 8ft is enough.

He's suing for more than $30,000. It could be a million.

If someone wants to really kill themselves, nothing is going to stop them.

The alcohol might've been drunk for courage needed to kill himself.

Quote Originally Posted by AmIAnnoying View Post
    Gtfo with your anecdotal story that is probably a total crock of crap and your obnoxious claim that the dad is out for money and not trying to prevent any future suicides from the location in question.
    I dunno, I quite liked Sea Hag's use of the term Mr Waffles, I thought it added a certain respectful formality to what she was saying.

Some people do want to score a pay day when a love one dies, or to aportion blame. I can't say either way in this case as I haven't read enough about it, but it will be one to keep an eye on.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    I can see the over serving aspect of it as that's pretty excessive to have six cocktails within an hour and a half. That's a drink every 15 minutes continuously, but that would apply to anything. If he had driven after that and killed somebody, they could hold the bar responsible in some cases if they could prove it. What I don't get is did nobody notice that this dude was trying to climb over the wall? It said that he attempted it three times until he succeeded in scaling it. You would think they'd have bouncers or management or something that would tell him to knock it off and throw him out.

As for preventing his suicide, I don't think it's realistic to pin that on them. If he was going to do it, he was going to do it one way or another. Yes to suing to make them acquire better safety measures (like.... I dunno... PEOPLE TO TELL IDIOTS TO STOP CLIMBING THE GLASS WALL). However it sounds like his Father is blaming the bar for his son's suicide as well and I'm not on board with that.

I don't think he's doing it to get a payday out of it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by S281Saleen160 View Post
    People sometimes try to blame others when their loved ones kill themselves.

The father wants enhanced security measures. The place had an 8ft glass wall, 8ft is enough.
    The lawsuit specifically states "inadequate barriers." Given that a 4 to 6 ft fence is adequate to protect the public from an attractive nuisance like a swimming pool, I think the average person would agree with you that an 8 ft glass wall is sufficient to (1) keep people from accidentally falling off the rooftop (which is the primary purpose of the glass wall to begin with); and (2) to keep someone from intentionally throwing something or someone off the rooftop - including themselves. Eight feet, that's ceiling height in an average house. I mean look at it, it's like a living room with glass walls:

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I can see the over serving aspect of it as that's pretty excessive to have six cocktails within an hour and a half. <snip> What I don't get is did nobody notice that this dude was trying to climb over the wall? It said that he attempted it three times until he succeeded in scaling it. You would think they'd have bouncers or management or something that would tell him to knock it off and throw him out.
    Agree the bar might be liable for over-serving him.

As for the "safety" aspect of it. My ex used to own a bar, things can go down quickly when alcohol is involved. It says he made three attempts, but it could have been three attempts in less than a minute. How long does it take to try/fail, try again/fail again, and finally succeed on a third and final try? About as long as it took to read this paragraph. As far as anyone stepping in to stop him, there are a multitude of scenarios that could effect the outcome. Was he alone? Was there anyone with him to even alert bar personnel, or was he off in a corner somewhere by himself? Did he stay in one place or move around the bar? Was the place crowded? Was there loud music? Was it dark? All of these variables could impede recognition of the situation and delay reaction.
    Last edited by KimTisha; 12-21-2021 at 08:53 AM.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

I mean, if someone jumps from a parking garage, does the family usually sue the owner because of lack of adequate barriers? I have never seen that (it could've have happened before, who knows).

I think if people start suing owners of places where people suicide....I mean, where does it stop?

Now, if it had been an accident, that is different.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Yeah, the pictures show that the glass wall is more than adequate. My band used to play a rooftop bar near Disney who's walls were only about 5.5 feet and people still managed to not go over them.

I think KT nailed it with this being more psychological for the Father. Although, adding alarms to the glass walls somehow couldn't hurt seeing as though nobody noticed this guy doing it.
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

I think if people start suing owners of places where people suicide....I mean, where does it stop?

Now, if it had been an accident, that is different.
    Absolutely.
    Last edited by KimTisha; 12-21-2021 at 08:54 AM.

Thread Information