Thread: Madison County deputy charged with murder in slaying of UGA student (Benjamin Lloyd Cloer, 26)

Madison County deputy charged with murder in slaying of UGA student (Benjamin Lloyd Cloer, 26)

https://www.facebook.com/asimpleenigma

https://www.onlineathens.com/news/20...of-uga-student

A University of Georgia graduate student was shot to death late Sunday in a killing that led to a murder charge against an off-duty Madison County sheriff?s deputy.

Athens-Clarke police said Benjamin Lloyd Cloer, 26, was shot ?multiple times? and died after he was transported to a local hospital.

Winford ?Trey? T. Adams III, 32, of Comer was charged with murder. Authorities said Adams had worked as a deputy in Madison County for more than year after about three years as an officer for the Statesboro Police Department.

The shooting occurred at the front of Cloer?s rental home on the 6000 block of Old Jefferson Road. Police responded to the scene at 6:48 p.m. after police said several people called 911, including Adams.

Police said Adams remained at the scene after the shooting.

?Lloyd was a great, gentle person. A great violin player and he was working for his masters in artificial intelligence,? Eric Krasle, an Athens attorney who was also Cloer?s landlord, said Monday.

After he was shot, Cloer went to his neighbor?s home where a Clarke County sheriff?s deputy lived, but neither he nor his wife and children were at home, Krasle said.

Police did not comment on a motive for the killing, but described it as a ?domestic incident.?

Krasle said he was not told why the confrontation occurred. Cloer had a roommate, but that roommate was not home during the shooting, Krasle said.

Cloer?s parents live in Gwinnett County and his mother, Deborah Houston Cloer, wrote on her Facebook page about the passing of her son.

?He was so kind. He never had a bad word to say about anyone. I was looking forward to him graduating soon from UGA with his master?s in A.I. I was looking forward to his accomplishments. Very much, I was looking forward to his children and my grandchildren.

?I promised to love you forever and all the way to Heaven,? she wrote.

Madison County Sheriff?s Chief Deputy Jeff Vaughn said Adams came to the department with ?high recommendations? from Statesboro police when he moved to this area to be closer to family.

?We have never had to discipline him as a deputy sheriff,? Vaughn said, adding there was never a complaint filed against him for use of force.

?The sheriff (Michael Moore) met with him at the scene last night and told him that effective immediately he was suspended,? Vaughn said.

After police charged him with murder, Moore then fired him as an officer.

?Our thoughts and prayers are with the victim?s family,? Vaughn said.

Police spokesman Geoff Gilland said Monday afternoon that the incident report on the shooting has not yet cleared records for release.

I quoted the stats from Wayne Ford's reports for my project. Some days ago I found the shootings stats of UGA and some cases were just rediculous, because one of the students managed to shoot self in leg on campus.

It was a project on the chootings and related crimes in Athens and I had to do my homework on Criminal Justice. More information on the daily crime stats by https://www.police.uga.edu/crime-stats/daily-log

https://apnews.com/c71b2d7f4bb65c87b6d87dc805451727
    Ex-deputy indicted in fatal shooting of Georgia grad student
    February 14, 2020
    ATHENS, Ga. (AP) ? A since-fired sheriff?s deputy who police in Georgia said killed a graduate student he believed was having an affair with his wife was indicted on seven felony charges.

Athens-Clarke County police said Winford ?Trey? Terrell Adams, 32, fatally shot University of Georgia graduate student Benjamin Lloyd Cloer, 26, during a domestic dispute in November 2019. Adams, who worked for the Madison County Sheriff?s Office, was off-duty at the time of the shooting and was later fired.

A grand jury indicted Adams on Feb. 4 on charges of malice murder, felony murder, first-degree home invasion, two counts of aggravated assault and two firearm possession charges, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported Thursday.

ADVERTISEMENT

In the 911 call Adams made after the shooting, which was obtained by news outlets, he said he shot a man because his wife was cheating on him.

?My wife was cheating on me, and I couldn?t take it,? Adams is heard saying on the recording. ?I didn?t shoot her, I shot the guy. I couldn?t stop myself.?

He was being held in the Athens-Clarke County Jail without bond, the newspaper reported. His next court appearance was scheduled for March 10. It?s unclear whether he had a lawyer to comment on his behalf.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

Thread Information