Thread: Olivia Gant (7) died from undetermined causes, and her mother has been arrested and is suspected of Munchausen syndrome by proxy

Olivia Gant (7) died from undetermined causes, and her mother has been arrested and is suspected of Munchausen syndrome by proxy

A Colorado mother said her daughter had a terminal illness. She's now accused of her murder.

A Colorado mother who sought donations to cover medical treatments for her daughter and promoted the girl's "bucket list" of dreams to fulfill before she died has been indicted on a murder charge in the 7-year-old's death. The 2017 death of Olivia Gant was previously believed to be from a terminal disease.

In a grand jury indictment revealed Monday, Kelly Renee Turner, 41, also known as Kelly Gant, was charged with 13 criminal counts that also included child abuse, theft and charitable fraud.

The indictment alleges Turner caused Olivia Gant's death, not the multiple illnesses that the mother claimed the girl had, and that prompted publicized ride-alongs with police and fire crews. CBS Denver reports that in 2017, the Make-A-Wish Foundation and DaVita Inc., a dialysis company in Denver, helped Olivia live out her fantasy of dressing up as "Bat Princess" to battle Ursula and Captain Hook to save the Disney princesses Bella and Ariel.

Turner was arrested Friday at a Denver-area hotel and held without bond, the Douglas County Sheriff's Office said. It is not clear if she has an attorney who could speak on her behalf.

Olivia's actual cause of death was not immediately clear. It was originally attributed to intestinal failure, according to the indictment issued Thursday and first reported Monday by

Her body was exhumed last year, and an autopsy found no physical evidence of that illness or other conditions that Turner claimed the girl suffered, including seizure disorder and a buildup of fluid in cavities deep within the brain. Olivia's death is now listed as undetermined.

Investigators say Olivia had been using a feeding tube and was admitted in July 2017 to Children's Hospital Colorado, where doctors said her nutrition was deficient.

One doctor told investigators that Turner wanted to withdraw all medical care and artificial feeding for her daughter because her quality of life was so bad. He said Turner insisted that he sign a "do not resuscitate" order for her daughter.

Doctors had said Olivia wouldn't be able to survive on IV nutrition, and Turner was given the option of taking her home on hospice care, according to the indictment. Olivia died a few weeks later.

Several doctors who were interviewed said Olivia did not have a terminal condition. The girl started getting treatment at the hospital in 2013 after moving from Texas, where Turner's husband stayed behind.

The investigation into Olivia's death began after doctors at the hospital became suspicious last year after Turner brought in her older daughter because of "bone pain," according to the indictment.

During an interview, investigators said Turner spontaneously brought up Munchausen syndrome by proxy, a psychological disorder in which a parent or caregiver seeks attention from the illness of their children or dependents and sometimes cause them injuries that require medical attention.

"That has never been my case, like at all, whatsoever," she said in the interview.

During the investigation, authorities separated Turner from her older daughter to see if the girl would still report the same symptoms. The daughter has not had any additional medical problems or complaints of pain since October 2018, the indictment said.

It's not immediately clear how old the girl is or whom she lives with now.

The daughters were ensured by Medicaid, and Turner is accused of fraudulently obtaining about $539,000 worth of care from the government-funded program.

Make-A-Wish Colorado responded to CBS Denver's request for comment, saying: "We are deeply disturbed by the allegations in this case and intend to follow it closely in the hope of learning exactly what happened. Our procedures for granting a wish require a referral from the child's medical team, and we rely on their assessment. As we seek to learn more about the circumstances that led to Olivia's death, we fondly remember her spirit and hope that granting her wish brought some joy to her tragic life."

Children's Hospital Colorado issued a statement saying it declined to comment to avoid compromising the case.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/olivia-...ccused-murder/
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

I wish I believed in hell just for people like her.

I'm not particularly litigious, but I do think the hospitals share some responsibility here. How was she getting surgeries that she didn't need? Shouldn't they have been looking after Olivia's best interests? If a mother insists on giving a child medication the doctor thinks is bad for her, don't they have an obligation to report it as suspected abuse/neglect?
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

This is so much like the Gypsy situation.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    This reminds me of Gypsy. Gypsy would've died if her Mom hadn't. I still don't think that she should've coerced that man into killing her mom.

I don't understand parents who do this. I hate seeing my child sick. I hate having to take him to the hospital. These parents need to never be allowed around children and the elderly.

Quote Originally Posted by Queena View Post
    This reminds me of Gypsy. Gypsy would've died if her Mom hadn't. I still don't think that she should've coerced that man into killing her mom.

I don't understand parents who do this. I hate seeing my child sick. I hate having to take him to the hospital. These parents need to never be allowed around children and the elderly.
    I agree with this, but last year I attended a child's birthday party that made me think a thread of Munchhausen runs through almost every mother today. Most of them sat around the table one-upping each other over their child's special needs. "Raven is allergic to tree nuts, dogs, and grass. The drs think she might be on the spectrum, too." Colt is allergic to nuts, grass, all animals, PLUS citrus and gluten. He was just diagnosed with the rarest learning disability the doctors have ever seen." I've never seen such a small group of children with so many eating, learning, and behavioral disorders. It was bizarre. Like all old people, I blame social media.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    I agree with this, but last year I attended a child's birthday party that made me think a thread of Munchhausen runs through almost every mother today. Most of them sat around the table one-upping each other over their child's special needs. "Raven is allergic to tree nuts, dogs, and grass. The drs think she might be on the spectrum, too." Colt is allergic to nuts, grass, all animals, PLUS citrus and gluten. He was just diagnosed with the rarest learning disability the doctors have ever seen." I've never seen such a small group of children with so many eating, learning, and behavioral disorders. It was bizarre. Like all old people, I blame social media.
    You're right. Social media is to blame. I'm in a few autism groups, and the things that people post. I can't imagine how their children feel. I always think back to how the Lanza's coddled Adam Lanza. I really see how that happened. Parents who have kids with autism use it as an excuse for everything. I remember once they were talking about how their child called a friend the N word. I was horrified. They had to learn it somewhere. I pointed out that my child would never ever use a racist slur because we don't use them and we and most importantly he is never around anyone who uses that kind of language. They said that I was a perfect parent. Or the kid who go to the store and tear it up. Then they post and laugh about it. Sorry for ranting, but the autism community is my BEC.

Quote Originally Posted by Queena View Post
    You're right. Social media is to blame. I'm in a few autism groups, and the things that people post. I can't imagine how their children feel. I always think back to how the Lanza's coddled Adam Lanza. I really see how that happened. Parents who have kids with autism use it as an excuse for everything. I remember once they were talking about how their child called a friend the N word. I was horrified. They had to learn it somewhere. I pointed out that my child would never ever use a racist slur because we don't use them and we and most importantly he is never around anyone who uses that kind of language. They said that I was a perfect parent. Or the kid who go to the store and tear it up. Then they post and laugh about it. Sorry for ranting, but the autism community is my BEC.
    Mine is Mommy V/Bloggers. The comments make me want to

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/09/us/co...ath/index.html

Colorado mother sentenced to prison for 16 years for 2017 death of 'Make-A-Wish' daughter
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 11-25-2022 at 04:15 PM.

I still wonder how she she made her sick and killed her.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I still wonder how she she made her sick and killed her.
    I think the answer to that lies here (quoted from original article):

Investigators say Olivia had been using a feeding tube and was admitted in July 2017 to Children's Hospital Colorado, where doctors said her nutrition was deficient.

One doctor told investigators that Turner wanted to withdraw all medical care and artificial feeding for her daughter because her quality of life was so bad. He said Turner insisted that he sign a "do not resuscitate" order for her daughter.

Doctors had said Olivia wouldn't be able to survive on IV nutrition, and Turner was given the option of taking her home on hospice care, according to the indictment. Olivia died a few weeks later.
    She copped a plea to child abuse negligently causing death, so I'm guessing she withdrew food/water. It took my sister nine days to die that way, but she was much older and in poor health for many years.

This sickens me. The doctors told investigators (after the fact) there was no indication of any of the illnesses Turner was alleging. The autopsy also showed no signs of a terminal illness. Doctors are mandatory reporters. Why would any doctor, faced with all the negative test results and, well.... SCIENCE, sign a DNR and allow her to go home on hospice care?! WTF. What am I missing here??? This boggles my mind.

These doctors absolutely allowed this woman to murder her daughter, but not before milking Medicaid for over half a million dollars of tests and procedures that diagnosed absolutely NOTHING. And let's talk about a prosecutor who ignores all of that and lets this piece of human scum plead to child abuse and doesn't at least insist that the sentences run consecutively. Turner will be on the street trying to kill her other daughter in ten years or less.

I hope the doctors who take an oath to "do no harm" and the DA who is sworn to ensure justice, are real proud of themselves when they think of Olivia Gant.

Man, where is KevansVault when you need him?

Coming back to vent some more.

I know RBW posted this before, but if you haven't done it yet, I urge you to take a look at the video of that adorable child just months before she was murdered. She's running around looking happy and healthy with a magic wand. Even the official interviewed mentioned it. Less than six months later, she's dead. Here's the video:

https://denver.cbslocal.com/2019/11/...a-wish-murder/

This timeline of events in the years before Olivia?s death is based on the criminal indictment against Turner, Olivia?s medical records and Turner?s blog:

August 2011: Kelly Turner begins blogging about Olivia and her middle daughter?s alleged medical needs. Many of the diagnoses she lists will later be revealed to be false.

2012: Olivia is seen for the first time at Children?s Hospital Colorado for feeding difficulties. Turner reports a history of seizures and other health problems.

July 2014: A neurologist determines Olivia doesn?t have seizures and should stop taking medication for it. She continues to take the anti-seizure drug until shortly before her death. [How was she getting the prescriptions?]

September 2014: Olivia has her third hospitalization for constipation.

November 2014: Olivia undergoes an ileostomy, which creates a hole in the abdomen so waste can drain directly from the small intestine to a bag. Her constipation improves, but Turner reports she won?t eat, and a feeding tube is put in through her nose.

January 2015: A more permanent feeding tube is inserted through Olivia?s abdomen, replacing the temporary tube in her nose. A different type of tube will be placed surgically shortly afterward.

June 2015: Olivia has another surgery to place a tube to feed her through her veins, a process called total parenteral nutrition, or TPN. She undergoes feeding therapy at the hospital and improves her ability to eat normal foods.

July 2015: Turner first posts online that Olivia has a terminal illness. Her medical records show no such disease.

2016: Olivia receives escalating doses of painkillers. [Again, how was she getting the prescriptions?]Turner falsely reports Olivia?s sister had had lymphoma when they lived in Texas.

February 2017: Olivia has a ?Bat Princess? Make-a-Wish party. She later does a ride-along with Denver police and participates in other events covered by local media, including The Post.

March 1, 2017: Olivia undergoes her final surgery, a procedure implanting a tube in her bladder, which drains through her abdomen.

March 24, 2017: Turner requests that Olivia not be resuscitated if her heart stops or given naloxone if her breathing stops because of the large doses of opioids she is receiving.

March 27-28, 2017: Olivia?s care team raises concern that the amount of stool in Olivia?s ostomy bag and the amount recorded in her chart don?t add up. This is important, because the amount of stool is a clue to how well Olivia?s intestines are functioning. A monitor is assigned to the room, and the amount of stool improves significantly. Doctors aren?t sure if she improved on her own, the medicine they gave helped, or if the monitor prevented tampering.

March 29, 2017: Turner requests that Olivia be placed in hospice.

July 11, 2017: A doctor refuses to renew an order not to resuscitate Olivia if her heart stops or give her naloxone if she overdoses on prescribed opioids, precipitating a series of ethics meetings. The hospital?s child protection team finds ?no reason to alert the Department of Human Services to potential medical child abuse,? according to medical records. A different doctor later signs the order. Right here is where the hospital became complicit in this child's murder. WTF kind of "child protection team" is this?

Aug. 1, 2017: Olivia is transferred to hospice, where she receives pain medication, juice and popsicles.

Aug. 20, 2017: Olivia dies.

October 2018: A new primary care doctor discovers Turner lied about Olivia?s sister having been treated for lymphoma after Turner brought the girl in for bone pain. A report about potential child abuse is filed with the state and an investigation begins.

Oct. 18, 2019: Turner is indicted on charges of first-degree murder, child abuse and defrauding Medicaid and private donors.
    Geezus, there was never an investigation into little Olivia's death until Turner turned her attention to Olivia's older sister.

Ok I know a kid that has constipation, and those glycerin suppositories never dont work. Hes also on Miralax to help. How could the constipation get so bad that they couldnt do an enema on her?

When the mom said she wasnt eating, did the doctor ASK THE GIRL without the mom in the room why she wasnt eating? Wouldnt that be a psych issue?

She went through a lot of procedures but im glad she was on the opiods so she wasnt in pain and discomfort. Couldnt they at least give her Pediasure in hospice? Damn.

Im mad on the internet now. Noone talked to this little girl to see what was going on. Doctors are well versed in Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Ok I know a kid that has constipation, and those glycerin suppositories never dont work. Hes also on Miralax to help. How could the constipation get so bad that they couldnt do an enema on her?

When the mom said she wasnt eating, did the doctor ASK THE GIRL without the mom in the room why she wasnt eating? Wouldnt that be a psych issue?

She went through a lot of procedures but im glad she was on the opiods so she wasnt in pain and discomfort. Couldnt they at least give her Pediasure in hospice? Damn.

Im mad on the internet now. Noone talked to this little girl to see what was going on. Doctors are well versed in Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy.
    Exactly.
    Exactly.
    Exactly.
    Exactly.

This case outrages me. And I am JUST as angry at the doctors and the hospital and the "child welfare team," as I am at her mother. At least Mom had the excuse of a mental illness, everyone else just outright didn't do their jobs. This child was failed by every system set up to make sure something like this didn't happen.

Thread Information