Thread: Munggi Ji Elledge (28) missing from Colombia, MO since 10/9/19

Munggi Ji Elledge (28) missing from Colombia, MO since 10/9/19

https://krcgtv.com/news/local/husban...-disappearance

The husband of a missing Columbia woman spoke publicly for the first time Tuesday, as police said there still were no updates on her whereabouts.

Joe Elledge hasn't seen his wife Mungqi Ji Elledge in a week.

"I think she's just confused and maybe scared," Elledge said. "I don't know if she felt alone but I just really want her to come back and it does worry me."

Missing person posters could be found in the complex where she lives with her husband and infant daughter. It's also where she was last seen at.

Police stated Elledge was last seen at her home in the 2600 block of Eastwood Drive on Tuesday, Oct. 8, at approximately 11:30 p.m. Her husband told police when he woke up the following morning, she was gone. He reported her missing at approximately 5:45 p.m. that day.

Elledge's response to the delay in reporting Mungqi missing was his belief she might have had errands to run.

"I don't know where she could have gone," Elledge said. "I know she was supposed to meet somebody in the morning. I didn't know who else she was going to meet or what else she was going to do. It was really weird that she didn't take her phone or anything else like that."

Joe said the couple had recently been going through a tough time.

"We were kind of growing distant in the past few months," Elledge said. "I know she was talking to someone else on the side."

But Joe Elledge said his wife is a doting mother who loves her infant daughter Anna.

"She's been a great mom like the best mom ever," Elledge said. "Sometimes when I take care of Anna by myself it's hard, it's really kind of stressful and exhausting. Anna needs her mom."

Elledge believes Anna will see her mother again, saying he will also do what needs to do to mend their relationship.

"I think she'll come back I just don't know. I don't know where she's been I hope she's safe," Elledge said. "I can try and be a better husband. I don't know if I didn't talk enough to her and give her enough hugs or what but I'll give her 10 times as much as I did before."

Investigators were seen leaving Elledge's apartment Monday and looking at a couple of cars in the buildings' parking lot.

Her parents arrived in Columbia Monday night -- their reason being their daughter's disappearance.

Mengqi was described as a Chinese female with brown eyes and black shoulder-length hair that she typically wears in a bun. Police said she is approximately 5 feet 1 inch to 5 feet 3 inches tall and weighs approximately 105 pounds. She has both ears pierced but typically does not wear earrings.

Police are still asking anyone who sees or hears from her or anyone with any information regarding her disappearance to immediately dial 911 to contact the nearest law enforcement agency or call the Columbia Police Department at (573) 874-7652.
    https://www.facebook.com/mengqi.ji.5

https://www.kansascity.com/news/loca...236738238.html

The husband of a missing Missouri woman allegedly took a “long drive through unfamiliar remote areas” of the state before he reported her disappearance to police, according to court documents filed with his arrest last week.

Police serving a search warrant on the couple’s Columbia, Missouri, apartment Friday allegedly found Joseph Duane Elledge, 24, attempting to leave town with his mother and child.

Those details came in court documents identifying Joseph Elledge as the subject of an investigation into the disappearance of his wife, 28-year-old Mengqi Ji Elledge, who has been missing for three weeks.

Columbia police announced Friday that they had opened a criminal investigation into her disappearance, saying they suspected foul play. Police declined to release further details, saying they wanted to protect the integrity of the investigation.

The same day, police arrested Joseph Elledge on a charges of felony child abuse filed in Boone County Circuit Court. He is accused of causing bruising on a child that was in his care. The child abuse allegation had been an issue between Elledge and his wife before she disappeared, according to the charging documents.

Jospeh Elledge was being held Monday in the Boone County jail on a $500,000 bond.

According to the KOMU local television station in Columbia, Joseph Elledge appeared in court Monday and pleaded not guilty.

https://www.oxygen.com/crime-news/jo...e-goes-missing

A senior engineering student at the University of Missouri has been charged with child abuse — just as police investigating the disappearance of his wife say they now suspect she was killed.

Joseph Elledge was charged Monday with abuse or neglect of a child, with detectives alleging he spanked his 1-year-old daughter hard enough to cause bruising earlier this year. The charge comes just after police announced Friday they now suspect foul play in the disappearance of Mengqi Ji Elledge, a 28-year-old woman who came from China to the United States for school, according to The Associated Press.

Mengqi (who is listed as M.E. in the probable cause statement obtained by The Associated Press) had allegedly wanted to contact police over the bruising he gave their daughter last February, but gave Joseph another chance after he promised he would never do it again. However, she sent photos of the bruises to someone else, the statement claims.

Police were able to see the images of the girl's bruises after searching Mengqi's iPad. Joseph admitted to causing the bruises to police on Friday, saying the child wouldn't stop crying, the document alleges.

Joseph, 23, is jailed on a $500,000 cash bond and no attorney is listed for him in online court records. His daughter is currently in the care of a relative.

https://www.scmp.com/news/world/unit...edges-one-year

A judge will hear arguments on Monday in a dispute involving the one-year-old daughter of a Chinese woman who has been missing for more than three weeks, with the woman’s parents and the mother of her jailed US husband seeking guardianship.

A lawyer for Ke Ren and Xiaolin Ji, who are the parents of 28-year-old Mengqi Ji Elledge, said a written statement that they have a “close relationship with their granddaughter, despite the distance between them, and it is in the minor child’s best interest that they have physical custody of her”, instead of their son-in-law’s mother, Jean Elledge.

The statement said they “believe that this is what their daughter would have wanted”.

Police said previously that the child was in the care of a relative.

Mengqi Ji Elledge’s husband, Joseph Elledge, is jailed in Columbia, Missouri, on a US$500,000 bond on a child abuse charge. Joseph Elledge, a University of Missouri student, has not been charged in the disappearance of his wife, a graduate of the school, although police announced last month that the investigation has led detectives to suspect foul play.

The probable cause statement filed in support of the abuse charge says he waited about 36 hours before reporting her missing. During that time, he took a long drive through unfamiliar remote areas of central Missouri.

In the probable cause statement, detectives were advised that Joseph Elledge abused the toddler by striking her on the buttocks hard enough to cause severe bruising in February.

The girl’s mother, who is identified only as M.E. in the document, had wanted to contact police but gave Elledge another chance after he promised he would never do it again.

She sent another person a picture of the bruising, however, and officers examining the mother’s iPad located pictures and videos of the bruising.

The affidavit said Joseph Elledge told officers that he did bruise the girl months earlier, saying initially that he did not know how it happened. He later told officers the girl was crying and would not stop. The bruising may have been caused by pinching the girl to distract her or by holding her too hard, Elledge told police.

Columbia police spokesman Steven Sapp said previously that police learned the couple had been having problems when Joseph Elledge divulged that during an on-camera interview with KRCG-TV. In the interview, Elledge described his wife as a doting mother but said “we were growing kind of distant in the past few months”.

Police said in a news release that she was reported missing on October 9, while charging documents say Joseph Elledge reported her missing on October 10. The statement said Jean Elledge did not return their calls until October 11, claiming her phone app had been off for two days.
    UK gambling trap warning for Chinese students far from home

The statement noted that at the time of Joseph Elledge’s arrest on October 25, he was attempting to leave Columbia with his child and his mother, Jean Elledge.

“Jean Elledge continues to withhold information from Mengqi’s parents and failed to inform them of the pending case for guardianship of their granddaughter,” the statement said, adding that “they are confused by Jean Elledge’s actions”.

Police said Mengqi Ji Elledge’s family has flown to Columbia so they can be present as the investigation unfolds.

Mengqi Elledge was awarded a master’s degree in mechanical and aerospace engineering from the University of Missouri in December 2014. She previously attended the East China University of Science and Technology in Shanghai.

https://abc17news.com/news/crime/201...disappearance/

A Boone County grand jury indicted Joseph Elledge Friday morning on one count of abuse or neglect of a child and two counts of first-degree endangering the welfare of a child.

In the indictment, Joseph Elledge is accused of one count of abuse and one count of endangerment for, "knowingly causing a child less than 18-year-old, to suffer physical injury as a result of abuse by grabbing or striking the child," between Jan. 1 and Feb. 12.
    Image of Mengqi Ji Elledge, wife of Joseph Elledge, posted to the National Institute of Justice list of missing persons on Oct. 14, 2019.

The other count of first-degree child endangerment, the indictment says, is because Joseph Elledge, "created a substantial risk to the life and body and health of the child, ... by separating them from Mengqi Ji."

"I'm not aware of any cases where someone's been charged with a crime such as endangering the welfare of a child in the first degree by separating a mother from a child," said Knight. "I'm just not aware of that ever occurring."

Joseph Elledge is the husband of Mengqi Ji Elledge, a Columbia woman who has been missing since early October, and the prime suspect in her disappearance, according to Boone County Prosecuting Attorney Dan Knight. Authorities believe Mengqi Ji Elledge is dead, and Knight has called her disappearance a murder.

The search for Mengqi Ji's body at the Lamine River in Cooper County entered its 10th day Friday. The search involves multiple agencies including the Columbia Police Department, the Missouri State Highway Patrol and the Army Corps of Engineers.

Joseph Elledge had already been charged with two felonies, child abuse or neglect and endangering the welfare of a child, to which he pleaded not guilty in late November.

Joseph Elledge's lawyer has said he is not the only potential suspect in his wife's disappearance.

https://abc17news.com/news/2020/02/1...olumbia-woman/

Prosecutors have filed a murder charge against the husband of a missing Columbia woman.

Online court records show Boone County Prosecuting Attorney Dan Knight filed the first-degree murder charge Wednesday against Joseph Elledge. The date of the alleged incident is Oct. 8, according to online court records, the last day anyone saw or spoke with Elledge's wife, Mengqi Ji Elledge.

Knight said during a November court hearing that Joseph Elledge was the "prime suspect in the murder of Mengqi Elledge" but he had not filed charges directly related to a homicide. During the hearing, Knight tried to submit into evidence recordings of Joseph and Mengqi Ji Elledge in which Knight claimed Joseph Elledge made "threatening" statements to his wife.

Authorities have extensively searched a section of the Lamine River in Cooper County looking for her body.

According to a probable cause statement filed in the murder case, Joseph Elledge told Columbia police that he took a drive to varied locations including Ashland, Jefferson City and Rocheport after his wife went missing. The statement says Joseph Elledge had contact with his mother and a friend after his wife went missing but he did not mention she was missing.

The statement says Joseph Elledge also spoke with his mother-in-law on Oct. 10 and told her Mengqi Ji Elledge was missing. He last saw her the night of Oct. 8 and reported her missing on Oct 10.

Other evidence in the statement includes that Mengqi Ji Elledge did not show up for a meeting to buy baby food on Oct. 9. Police also say in the statement that Joseph Elledge deflected conversations about his missing wife, choosing instead to play video games.

The statement also says cellphone data showed that Joseph Elledge drove to the Boonville area on Oct. 9 and that the phone was in the area of the Lamine River for about 45 minutes. Police also allege Joseph Elledge lied about the route he took on one of the trips, "which took him to an area that included a secluded river access point after dark."

Police searched the couple's apartment and found written statements that closely matched what Joseph Elledge told investigators in interviews, according to the probable cause statement. Police also allege they found a document in the apartment with tips for interviews, including "a reminder to refer to Mengqi in the present tense when speaking about her."

Ten days before the search, Joseph Elledge had referred to his wife in the past tense, according to the probable cause statement.

Police obtained recordings of conversations between the couple in which they talked about divorce in the summer of 2019, according to the statement. "In those conversations Joseph is openly hostile and at times threatening to Mengqi," police wrote in the statement.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...woman-70436621

A levee will be built on a river in Missouri where police have previously searched for the body of a missing Chinese woman.

Columbia police announced Wednesday that a levee will be extended into the Lamine River near Boonville to help in the search for the body of Mengqi Ji Elledge, who was reported missing on Oct. 10. Her husband, Joseph Lamine, is charged with first-degree murder in her death.

Divers have searched the river before without success.

Columbia Assistant Police Chief Jeremiah Hunter said the levee will give searchers access to a key part of the river where cadaver dogs detected human decomposition, KRCG reported.

The levee project will begin once the police force has received all the necessary approvals, which could be as early as next week, Columbia Police Chief Geoff Jones said.

Thread Information