Thread: Bride, bishop shot at wedding after Pastor Luis Garcia (64) killed a week earlier

Bride, bishop shot at wedding after Pastor Luis Garcia (64) killed a week earlier

https://www.nbc12.com/2019/10/13/bri...cels-services/

PELHAM, N.H. (AP) ? Services were canceled Sunday at the New Hampshire church where a gunman shot the clergyman and bride during a wedding.

Authorities say the presiding bishop of the New England Pentecostal church in Pelham, Stanley Choate, 75, was shot in the chest with a handgun Saturday. The bride, 60-year-old Claire McMullen, was shot in the arm.

The groom, 60-year-old Mark Castiglione, was injured when he was struck in the head by an object.

All are recovering from their injuries.

Authorities say parishioners tackled the suspected shooter and held him until police arrived.

The suspect, Dale Holloway, 37, is facing counts of causing bodily injury by means of a deadly weapon. He's due in court Tuesday. It's unclear if he has an attorney.

"We solicit your prayers at this time for the family," the church wrote in a Saturday evening Facebook post. "The family would plead with everyone to refrain from any acts of violence. That is not what the bishop would want."

Police are investigating but have not yet suggested a motive.

After the wedding, a funeral was scheduled to be held at the church for Luis Garcia, 60, a minister at the church who was shot and killed earlier this month. Brandon Castiglione, 24, has been charged in the killing. He waived arraignment and is currently being held without bail. A phone number or lawyer information for him could not be found.

It was not clear if there is any relationship between Brandon Castiglione and the groom, who share the same last name, or if the shootings are connected.

How many shootings are there at this church?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Suspected church shooter is stepson of minister allegedly slain by groom’s son

https://nypost.com/2019/10/13/suspec...rooms-stepson/

The accused gunman in Saturday’s New Hampshire wedding shooting was the stepson of a slain preacher who was allegedly killed by the groom’s son, it was revealed Sunday.

Dan Holloway, 37, allegedly opened fire at New England Pentecostal Ministries in Pelham Saturday, hitting presiding bishop Stanley Choate, 75, in the chest and bride Claire McMullen, 60, in the arm, authorities said.

Holloway’s stepdad, 60-year-old Luis Garcia, was a minister at the house of worship before he was shot dead Oct. 1, state prosecutor Ben Agati said Sunday.

The groom, Mark Castiglione, suffered minor injuries after getting hit in the head with an object during Saturday’s shooting.

His son, Brandon Castiglione, 24, had been charged with killing Garcia — whose funeral had been scheduled to take place following the wedding ceremony, Agati said.

Castiglione’s father Angelo described seeing a “figure in black” run up to the bishop and fire before turning his sights on the couple.

“Just ‘boom, boom’ and then [the suspect] turned around and aimed at my son and his future wife,” Angelo told WMUR-TV.

The 87-year-old said he ran to stop the shooter, but his other son Gary Castiglione, who was also the best man, had already gotten to him.

Gary “grabbed the guy and they were wrestling… and he rolled him down the stairs and rolled him right in front of me here. And then my son was on top of him, had the gun out of the guy’s hand,” he said.

Other parishioners joined in, holding the suspect down until police arrived, authorities said.

Holloway is facing charges of attempted murder, causing bodily injury by means of a deadly weapon, second-degree assault, simple assault and being a felon in possession of a firearm. He’s due in court on Tuesday.

Services at the church were canceled on Sunday.

“We solicit your prayers at this time for the family,” the church wrote in a Saturday-evening Facebook post. “The family would plead with everyone to refrain from any acts of violence. That is not what the bishop would want.”

https://lawandcrime.com/crime/murder...at-sentencing/

A judge says that a New Hampshire murderer will have his first chance at freedom at age 64 – the age that the victim, 60-year-old Pastor Luis Garcia, would have been at sentencing.

The defendant, Brandon Castiglione, 29, expressed sympathy at the hearing on Friday.

“I first want to express my sympathy and deep condolences for the loss of Luis Garcia,” he said. “The last four years have been a tough time, not only for this family, but everybody that was involved in this situation.”

Jurors convicted Castiglione of second-degree murder as charged on May 15, 2023.

Representing himself in court, he asked for a “fair and right” sentence. Judge David Ruoff settled on 42 years to life. Garcia would have turned 64 this past Aug. 22.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Sounds 'fair and right' to me given so many are given much lesser sentences for murder.

Thread Information