Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Cayley Mandadi (19) was allegedly sexually assaulted and killed by her boyfriend Mark Howeton (22)

  1. #1
    Don't drink sanitizer! raisedbywolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Rep Power

    Cayley Mandadi (19) was allegedly sexually assaulted and killed by her boyfriend Mark Howeton (22)

    This is from 2017. The trial is currently happening.

    After nearly four months, authorities in Texas filed charges Wednesday against the boyfriend of Cayley Mandadi, a 19-year-old Trinity University cheerleader who died last fall following a vicious assault.

    Long considered the sole suspect in her death, 22-year-old Mark Howerton now faces first-degree murder and first-degree sexual assault charges for allegedly murdering Mandadi. He was released after posting his $225,000 bond.

    For the first time Wednesday, prosecutors offered up specific details about the homicide, revealing what investigators have uncovered about the last days of Mandadi?s life ? and her allegedly destructive relationship with the accused, which they say was contentious from day one.

    Here are five things to know about the case:

    1. The Couple Had Only Been Dating for One Month

    Authorities say Howerton and Mandadi had only been dating for about four weeks ? and they allege the relationship was doomed from the start.

    In affidavits obtained by the San Antonio Express-News, one of Mandadi?s friends allegedly told investigators she had previously seen bruises on the teen?s legs, which Mandadi had allegedly said were caused by Howerton. Another time, the same friend alleged Howerton pulled a gun out of his car?s glove compartment and threatened to shoot people.

    Multiple friends described hearing of an incident where Howerton allegedly slammed Mandadi?s head against a car window, the paper reports. One said Mandadi was scared of Howerton, who allegedly destroyed her dorm room on Sept. 24, 2017, causing significant damage.

    2. Suspect?s Story of Consensual Rough Sex Didn?t Add Up: Police

    Howerton allegedly told police he and Mandadi had attended the Mala Luna music festival in San Antonio during the days before he brought her ? unresponsive and nude from the waist down ? to a Luling, Texas, hospital. The suspect allegedly told police they were drinking and taking ecstasy the entire weekend.

    ? Want to keep up with the latest crime coverage? Click here to get breaking crime news, ongoing trial coverage and details of intriguing unsolved cases in the True Crime Newsletter.

    On Oct. 29, Howerton told police he and Mandadi ran into her ex-boyfriend, sparking an argument that continued into his car, which was parked away from the festival grounds. Howerton allegedly told police Mandadi had agreed to an impromptu trip to Houston and that en route, they stopped to have ?consensual rough make up sex.?

    Mandadi didn?t get dressed, allegedly telling her boyfriend she was not feeling well. She fell asleep in the front seat, Howerton allegedly said, and later, stopped breathing. He briefly attempted CPR, abandoning those efforts before driving to the emergency room.

    Authorities searched Howerton?s car and became suspicious of his account. Inside, they allegedly found a pair of leggings, underwear, and shoes belonging to Mandadi, leading investigators to believe that she had not packed for the trip. But Howerton told them he had promised to buy her everything she would need once they arrived.

    3. Mandadi Was Taken Off Life Support On Halloween

    Doctors immediately noticed bruising around Mandadi?s neck and thighs, which Howerton allegedly explained away as coming from the rough sex they?d had.

    In affidavits, Mandadi's friends described previous violent incidents.

    One said she had previously seen bruises on Mandadi's legs and Mandadi said they were caused by Howerton, according to the affidavit. The same friend said she accompanied Mandadi to retrieve her cellphone from Howerton. She said Howerton became aggressive, pulled a gun out of his glove box and threatened to shoot people, documents show.

    Multiple friends described hearing of an incident where Howerton slammed Mandadi's head against a car window. One said Mandadi was scared of Howerton, according to the affidavits.

    In the early morning hours of Sept. 24, 2017, about a month before Mandadi was pronounced dead in Kyle, Texas, Trinity University police found Howerton, 22, alone in her destroyed dorm room.

    According to documents, Mandadi's suitemate called police after hearing "loud noises" and yelling between a man and woman.

    Mandadi's suitemates said a man was heard saying he could "smash" someone's face, documents show.

    Responding officers found Howerton alone in the room at 1:22 a.m. He denied any argument and said he had been in his girlfriend's dorm since 11 p.m. while she was at a party, according to an affidavit.

    He reportedly invited authorities into the room, which was described in documents as being in "disarray."

    Decorations were broken on the floor, a glass sliding door was cracked and Mandadi's bedding was wet with soda that had been poured on it, according to documents.

    When Mandadi returned to her room she appeared "distraught" over the damage, documents show.

    "She also stated that the room had not been in this condition when she had left earlier," the document reads. "Ms. Mandadi state that she was now very scared that Mr. Howerton would return."

    Friends of Mandadi told investigators they believed Howerton was using and dealing anabolic steroids and "roid rage" was his excuse for destroying her room. They also stated that Howerton threatened to throw Mandadi off the balcony that night.

    Damages were estimated to be $1,337 for the door and $132 for the bed. Howerton was charged with criminal mischief for this incident. On Nov. 2, 2017, Trinity University eventually issued a criminal trespass warning that barred Howerton from entering campus for a year.

  2. #2
    Don't drink sanitizer! raisedbywolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Rep Power

    Mark Howerton, who is facing life in prison in the death of his girlfriend, 19-year-old Cayley Mandadi, sent Mandadi a lengthy message on Oct. 16, 2017, apologizing for yelling and shoving her the night before during an argument at her dorm room.

    “I’m sorry for yelling at you and shoving you around,” Howerton wrote, according to text messages extracted from his phone. “Even though we both understand why I did, I know in my heart I should have taken different approach.”

    The testimony Monday comes in the fifth day of the high-profile trial that has attracted national media attention. Mandadi, of League City, was a sophomore and a cheerleader at Trinity. She had been dating Howerton for about six months.

    Prosecutors accuse Howerton, 24, of killing her in a jealous rage after she tried to break up with him at the Mala Luna Music Festival in San Antonio on Oct. 29, 2017.

  3. #3
    Don't drink sanitizer! raisedbywolves's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Rep Power

    After reviewing with prosecutors and defense attorneys the second of two notes from the jury indicting that the panel was deadlocked Thursday afternoon, Senior District Judge Raymond Angelini announced his decision.

    Addressing the jury, Judge Angelini said: “With this note ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I’m declaring a mistrial, the case for this time being over.”

    The jury spent 9 hours reviewing over 22 hours of testimony in the trial, which began early last week.

    They deliberated for 2 hours Wednesday and another 7 hours on Thursday.

    The judge read the jury’s final note, which said, in part, “All jurors have expressed their strong position, inability to change their position, with the evidence provided. These decisions have been unwavering since the beginning of deliberations.”

    Though the panel declined to discuss the case with the media, the foreman told KSAT that the vote was 8-4 in favor of a guilty verdict.

    Howerton was facing murder, sexual assault and kidnapping charges in the death of Cayley Mandadi, 19, a Trinity University cheerleader, in October 2017 during a trip to Houston.

    He told investigators that the couple stopped to have consensual rough sex when Mandadi stopped breathing.

    Medical experts testified that the teen died as the result of blunt force trauma to the head.

    According to testimony during the trial, the couple had been dating but Mandadi was planning to end the relationship.

    Witnesses testified that Howerton was controlling and possessive.

    The indictment against Howerton will remain in place and the case will go back into the system to be re-tried at a later date.

    Howerton faced a maximum punishment of life in prison.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts