Thread: Grieving UK mom wants US diplomat's wife Anne Sacoolas to face justice for son's (Harry Dunn, 19) death

Grieving UK mom wants US diplomat's wife Anne Sacoolas to face justice for son's (Harry Dunn, 19) death

https://nypost.com/2019/10/07/grievi...iplomats-wife/

The heartbroken mother of a British teen killed in a car crash with the wife of an American diplomat issued an emotional plea Monday for the driver to return to the United Kingdom and face justice.

'We're all broken,' Charlotte Charles told Sky News, her voice choked with grief. 'We're just utterly shocked and appalled that somebody is allowed to get on a plane and go home and avoid our justice system.'

Anne Sacoolas, the wife of US diplomat Jonathan Sacoolas, was driving on the wrong side of a Northamptonshire road in August when she allegedly struck and killed Charles' son, 19-year-old motorcyclist Harry Dunn, head-on, officials have said.

Sacoolas, 42, initially cooperated with local authorities, but eventually invoked diplomatic immunity and left the UK with her husband and their children ' reportedly at the suggestion of lawyers and US Embassy officials.

'All we need to do is meet her,' said Charles on Monday. 'All we need to do is ask her to come back. It's not much to ask. She's left a family in complete ruin.

'We're not coping,' she added. 'We're literally just getting through hour to hour every day, going with the flow of what we need to do. ' We just have to keep going to try to get some closure.'

Meanwhile on Monday, UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson urged Sacoolas to return to Britain and face justice ' and said that he would directly lobby President Trump if she refused.

Charles offered an emotional appeal to Sacoolas, mother to mother.

'She's got to be suffering as well. She's a mom,' said Charles. 'Without knowing who this person is properly, we can't ' start our grieving process.'

Last edited by up2trouble; 07-26-2021 at 11:55 PM.

Her husband is the diplomat, how does that give her immunity?

Quote Originally Posted by terps1990 View Post
    Her husband is the diplomat, how does that give her immunity?
    Immunity extends to family members if it is a top diplomat. However, their home country can waive it.

This case has been pissing me off for the past few days. Thanks for posting it!

I feel so bad for Harry's Mom!

I am glad she faces charges.
    There has been a lot of bad feeling about this over here.
    However, I don't think she will ever be brought back to face charges.
    I'm calling it now: as much as I'd like to see her in an English court, it just wont happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    I am glad she faces charges.
    There has been a lot of bad feeling about this over here.
    However, I don't think she will ever be brought back to face charges.
    I'm calling it now: as much as I'd like to see her in an English court, it just wont happen.
    I agree on all points. Trump won't let her be extradited.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I agree on all points. Trump won't let her be extradited.
    Yeah. Its sadly not going to happen.
    He tried to get Harry Dunn's parents to meet face to face with Anne Sacoolas when they met with him in the US. They had already said they were not willing to do that unless she would agree to come back to the UK and cooperate with the authorities.
    Way to try and steamroller them.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/09/uk/an...gbr/index.html

US woman who killed teen biker Harry Dunn wouldn't face prosecution in America, lawyer claims
    So I can hop on a plane, drive on the wrong side of the road, kill a US citizen & not face charges? Yeah right. I really believe that. She killed him, on UK soil, then left the country, has tried to claim diplomatic immunity & refused to come back, thus denying Harry's family justice. Community service and a fine does not cut it in my book.
    Last edited by Gemini; 03-09-2021 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Typo

So I can hop on a plane, drive on the wrong side of the road, kill a US citizen & not face charges? Yeah right. I really believe that. She killed him, on UK soil, then left the country, has tried to claim diplomatic immunity & refused to come back, thus denying Harry's family justice. Community service and a fine does not cut it in my book.
    Totally agree on everything you said. It's BS!

Parts of the US have very lenient laws re. drivers hitting pedestrians and bikers. Frequently, you need to be drunk or not a prominent person to be held culpable.

In this case, the max the driver will face is a possible fine and a couple months in jail (unlikely) He might also be impeached, but that's really unlikely.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    Parts of the US have very lenient laws re. drivers hitting pedestrians and bikers. Frequently, you need to be drunk or not a prominent person to be held culpable.

In this case, the max the driver will face is a possible fine and a couple months in jail (unlikely) He might also be impeached, but that's really unlikely.
    Really? That is very surprising.
    What I would argue is that as the crime was committed on UK soil, I see no reason for her not to come back & face charges. We are not a nation who have ridiculously harsh sentencing laws.

Really? That is very surprising.
    What I would argue is that as the crime was committed on UK soil, I see no reason for her not to come back & face charges. We are not a nation who have ridiculously harsh sentencing laws.
    The person on the road is assumed to be at fault. Now if the driver swerves onto a sidewalk... But I don't disagree that a decent person would have faced the music.
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    The person on the road is assumed to be at fault. Now if the driver swerves onto a sidewalk... But I don't disagree that a decent person would have faced the music.
    Thanks for explaining that Puzzld. So even if the driver is driving on the wrong side of the road? See over here, that would be classed as driving without due care and attention and/or dangerous driving.

Yeah I think the ill feeling over here comes from her quick exit from the country & then attempting to claim diplomatic immunity.

Thanks for explaining that Puzzld. So even if the driver is driving on the wrong side of the road? See over here, that would be classed as driving without due care and attention and/or dangerous driving.

Yeah I think the ill feeling over here comes from her quick exit from the country & then attempting to claim diplomatic immunity.
    Yeah. Even if the driver is on the wrong side of the road. If they can give some sort of plausible excuse, i.e. swerved to miss an animal or a pothole or... This article goes into a lot of details about South Dakota laws. Many other states are less "pro" driver, but I think most places here would be more likely to favor the driver than is the case in England. https://www.sdnewswatch.org/stories/...in-collisions/

Especially, sadly, if the person had some high office or connections.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/10/20/uk/uk...gbr/index.html

US citizen Anne Sacoolas pleads guilty to causing Harry Dunn’s death

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    It's about time.

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    It's about time.
    Unfortunately it doesn't really do much in real terms. The family will have the closure that she finally admitted it, but she can't be forced back over here for any punishment phase.

Thread Information