Thread: Man (Kanaya Manglani, 67) died after stumble on broken Manhattan sidewalk: lawsuit

Man (Kanaya Manglani, 67) died after stumble on broken Manhattan sidewalk: lawsuit

A stroll down a Manhattan sidewalk proved fatal for a married father of three after he tripped on a raised and broken tree bed, according to a lawsuit.

Kanaya Manglani, 67, stumbled over the cobblestone tree bed between 1503 and 1509 Second Avenue in July 2018, and hit his head on a bus as he fell, family lawyer Salvatore Aspromonte said.

Manglani suffered ?severe, protracted personal injuries? which resulted in his death eight months later on Feb. 4, his family alleges in a Manhattan Supreme Court lawsuit filed against the city.

The city had a duty to keep the sidewalk in good repair, the family charges in court papers seeking unspecified damages.

The city recently announced it would take responsibility for sidewalks damaged by trees, ending a practice of slapping home owners with fines for the damage.

?Losing a family member is tragic. We?ll review the details of the case,? Law Department spokesman Nicholas Paolucci said.

I thought I had it bad when I tripped on a sunken manhole cover in Manhattan. Had to have surgery to remove a dead nerve in my foot. Spent months in therapy and several weeks unable to walk because I can't handle crutches. Glad it wasn't as bad as this man.

He hit his head but died 8 months later?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by up2trouble View Post
    I thought I had it bad when I tripped on a sunken manhole cover in Manhattan. Had to have surgery to remove a dead nerve in my foot. Spent months in therapy and several weeks unable to walk because I can't handle crutches. Glad it wasn't as bad as this man.
    Maybe we should open a "I was injured in Manhattan" thread, I wonder how many people could contribute to this. Back in March 2015, on the 2nd (!!) day of our 12-day-visit, I tripped into one of those really big potholes. I couldn't go to a hospital because we hadn't been smart enough to negotiate travel health insurance - this was our 2nd big trip, we are smarter nowadays - and the foot didn't swell, I could still put my weight on it and it wasn't broken. I still have no clue what it was because towards the end of the trip the foot got better and as soon as we were back home there was only a little twitching left, so I didn't go and see a doc. I suppose it was a pulled ligament. Walking an average 6.2 miles through NYC each day was no fun, I tell ya. I enjoyed the city, but I will have to go back to wander around the city with a healthy foot.

Thread Information