Thread: Petara Cordero (26), girlfriend of Cleveland Browns' Chris Smith, was struck and killed by a driver under the influence of alcohol

Petara Cordero (26), girlfriend of Cleveland Browns' Chris Smith, was struck and killed by a driver under the influence of alcohol

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2019...nce_of_alcohol

https://heavy.com/sports/2019/09/petara-cordero/

Petara Cordero was the girlfriend of Cleveland Browns' defensive end Chris Smith. Cordero tragically passed away at the age of 26 on September 11, 2019, two weeks after giving birth to the couple's first child. Cordero, a native of Charlotte, North Carolina, had turned 26 in July 2019.

Cordero is survived by her parents as well as five siblings. Cordero was killed in a car accident in Ohio. Cleveland.com reports that Smith had been telling teammates how excited he was that his girlfriend and daughter were flying up for the weekend.

According to Smith and Cordero's baby registry, the couple's baby daughter was due on August 17. Instagram posts from both Cordero and Smith indicate that their baby, named Haven Harris Smith, was born on or around August 27. On March 23, Cordero posted a video showing the couple's gender-reveal ceremony.

Cordero was killed on the morning of September 11 at around 2:00 a.m. when Smith's 2019 Lamborghini blew a tire and crashed into a median wall, the Cleveland Police Department said. The crash happened along the West 140th Street exit along Interstate 90. As Cordero and Smith got out of the car, a woman in a Mazda hit the passenger's side of Smith's car, hitting Cordero. She was rushed to Fairview Hospital where she was pronounced dead.

Fox Cleveland reports that the woman driving the Mazda told police that she had been drinking. Police have said that Smith was not impaired nor as he been charged with any crime in relation to the crash. Cleveland.com reports that the woman's blood alcohol has been measured at 0.08 percent.

In a statement on the Browns website, Jimmy and Dee Haslam, owners of the team said, "Words cannot describe the sorrow we feel for Chris following the loss of his girlfriend, Petara. Our entire organization mourns with Chris, his family and the Cordero family. We will do everything possible to offer them our support, comfort and any resources in this most difficult time."

How horribly sad. It sounds like their life was just beginning with a lot of good things coming their way.
    RIP Petara

side ramble:
    I am guessing that he pulled over to the left and that left the passenger side closest to the traffic? If so why oh why did she not climb over and exit on the drivers side? I only say this after having a blow out on the freeway and making people climb over rather than exiting on the side of traffic.

Quote Originally Posted by Deviant Toaster View Post
    How horribly sad. It sounds like their life was just beginning with a lot of good things coming their way.
    RIP Petara

side ramble:
    I am guessing that he pulled over to the left and that left the passenger side closest to the traffic? If so why oh why did she not climb over and exit on the drivers side? I only say this after having a blow out on the freeway and making people climb over rather than exiting on the side of traffic.
    I wish people were taught more how to deal with emergencies on the road. Everyone is so fixated on the blow out, or accident, and so many people get killed this way by exiting into traffic or not paying attention while they are dealing with the incident.

Definitely scary! I think people (like you said) get fixated on other things and safety is an after thought. Wouldn't it be great if we were as invincible as we think we are as children? Such a sad outcome.

Thread Information