Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FDNY EMT Yadira Arroyo (44) was killed when a suspect stole an ambulance and ran over her

FDNY EMT Yadira Arroyo (44) was killed when a suspect stole an ambulance and ran over her

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2017/03/...spect-charged/

A suspect is now facing charges after authorities say an emergency medical technician was struck and killed by her own ambulance that they say he had just stolen in the Bronx.

Surrounded by mourning FDNY EMTs, 25-year-old Jose Gonzales was walked out of the 43rd police precinct Friday morning in handcuffs, charged with murder, grand larceny and operating a motor vehicle impaired by drugs.

Yadira Arroyo, 44, and her partner were responding to an emergency call Thursday night on White Plains Road at Watson Avenue in the Soundview section when police said their ambulance was overtaken by Gonzales, who was hanging on the back bumper.

?So, they stopped the ambulance, they got out to see what was happening,? Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro said. ?This person, in turn, went around the other side of the ambulance and got into the driver?s side.?

That?s when authorities said he put the ambulance in reverse, hitting Arroyo. Her partner still trying to fight him off.

?They were acting very bravely,? Nigro said. ?They certainly wanted to continue on their way to the call. This person had no business being in the ambulance.?

Gonzales then crashed the ambulance into several parked cars, police said. Soon after, the ambulance got stuck with its wheels spinning on snow and ice.

Cell phone video of the chaotic scene showed Arroyo in the street, her partner distraught, CBS2?s Magdalena Doris reported.

?Her body was lifeless, pretty much,? one witness said.

Arroyo?s partner ran to her screaming, unable to help.

?That was the most sad part for me because her partner was there just bawling,? the witness said.

In the midst of the chaotic scene, K-9 MTA Officer Daniel McDade ran over to help.

?Fast action by an MTA police officer and a civilian. They were able to subdue the individual before he could injure anyone else or do any further damage,? Nigro said.

?I want to thank those good Samaritans who helped apprehend the perpetrator,? Mayor Bill de Blasio said. ?A lot of heroism was on display amidst a great tragedy.?

#FDNY mourns the loss of FDNY EMT Yadira Arroyo, Station 26, who was killed in the line of duty tonight while serving our city. pic.twitter.com/b3KrzGabYE

? FDNY (@FDNY) March 17, 2017

The images of the scene were captured by witness Justin Lopez and are ones he won?t soon forget.

?It?s sad that a person who helps people actually got their life taken away form somebody,? he said.

Gonzales has been arrested 10 times before for misdemeanors, Doris reported. He is set to face a judge on Friday.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    This is heartbreaking ~ I cannot fathom what her family, colleagues and those who witnessed her death are going through.

RIP Yadira
    Quote Originally Posted by Gawna View Post
    Roses are red, violets are blue, seriously where is the fucking ring I gave Julie and ask her mom about the flowers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    In all fairness, we have no idea how big this dude's cock was.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    This guy had like 31 arrests, so some people are freaking out already over him being on the streets in the first place. Especially with all the Kalief Browder stuff in the news right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

This case makes me super sad.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...416503403.html

'New Yorkers Take Care of Their Own': Family of Killed EMT Yadira Arroyo Receives Over $100K Donations

The eldest son of a fire department medic run over and killed by a stolen ambulance urged her colleagues and loved ones Saturday to be humbled rather than sad in her memory.

"Seeing everyone she affected, I know she didn't die in vain," Jose Montes, the eldest of slain Fire Department emergency medical technician Yadira Arroyo's five sons, told the family members and colleagues gathered at the Bronx stationhouse where the Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers Foundation announced it was giving $100,000 to the sons.

"I know my mother wouldn't have wanted people to be sad today. She would rather everyone — if you could take something from this, just let it humble you," said Montes, 24. "Just learn from this. Learn to hold your family closer every day, because life is short."

Meanwhile, fire department announced funeral arrangements for Arroyo, a 14-year veteran of its emergency medical services. Her wake will be from 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. and from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Thursday and Friday at the Joseph A. Lucchese Funeral Home. Her funeral is scheduled for 11 a.m. March 25 at St. Nicholas of Tolentine Roman Catholic Church. Both are in the Bronx.

Arroyo, 44, and another EMT were responding to a routine medical call Thursday when 25-year-old Jose Gonzalez hopped on the back of the ambulance, then darted into the driver's seat and ran Arroyo down after a man on the street flagged the vehicle down to say Gonzalez had stolen his backpack, authorities said.

Gonzalez has been charged with murder. He told reporters Friday he was innocent, while his lawyer said he's mentally ill and didn't act intentionally.

Arroyo was a dedicated EMT who responded to calls even during asthma attacks and was a mother figure to her co-workers, colleagues have said.

The Stephen Siller Tunnel to Towers Foundation, named for a firefighter killed in the Sept. 11 terror attacks, honors first responders and military members.

The donation is to be put in a trust for Arroyo's sons. The youngest is 7.

"Me and my brothers, we're all going to stick together," Montes said. "We're going to be here for each other and support each other in every single way."

As a way of honoring her 14-year service to the FDNY, Answer the Call will donate $25,000 to the fallen EMT's family. The nonprofit organization provides financial assistance and a support network for families of first responders killed in the line of duty.

"The tragic death of EMT Yadira Arroyo is anothe grim reminder of the dangers that first responders face every day to keep us safe," Answer the Call Board Chairman Stephen Dannhauser said in a statement. "New Yorkers take care of their own and we pledge to never forget EMT Arroyo, her sacrifice or her family."

FIVE SONS.

http://abc7ny.com/news/how-was-emt-m...rests/1809808/

How was EMT murder suspect free despite lengthy criminal history?

The suspected carjacker charged in the death of a 44-year-old EMT in the Bronx after allegedly running her over with her own ambulance is being held without bail, but many are questioning how Jose Gonzalez, Jr. -- who was no stranger to police -- was free in the first place.

"I'm innocent," Gonzalez said previously. "I didn't do nothing."

The 25-year-old already had a lengthy police record before he was charged with running down FDNY EMT Yadira Arroyo last Thursday.

"It's hard, the fact that I am trying to get him to become a working person and try to straighten himself out," dad Jose Gonzalez, Sr., said.

Gonzalez, Jr., has 31 prior arrests, including criminal mischief, assault, marijuana sale and possession, turnstile jumping and public lewdness, and Eyewitness News has learned he has six prior interactions with police as an emotionally-disturbed person.

Most recently, he was arrested on February 25 for allegedly resisting arrest and kicking out a window in a police van. Prior to that, he was arrested last June for assault and harassment and reportedly released without bail in both cases.

Betsey Nevins-Saunders is assistant clinical professor of law and attorney-in-charge at Hoftra's Criminal Justice Clinic.

"What the law is, it requires the court to set any conditions or restrictions that it must, in order to ensure the persons return to court," she said.

The law, she said, does allow the court to look at other factors in considering bail.

"The potential sentence they may be facing, so in that way, the court can consider priors and therefore potentially be thinking about danger," she said. "And it's always on the mind of the judge."

Gonzalez, Jr., is now being held without bail after being charged with two counts of murder in Arroyo's death.

"If anything, we used to always think something was going to happen to him because of the way he carries himself," Jose Gonzalez, Sr., said. "I never expected him to do something like this at all."

Alice Fontiere, the suspect's attorney, said at his arraignment that Gonzalez, Jr., is severely mentally ill.

"In a murder case, that is a case where you are going to be thinking about a mental health defense," Nevins-Saunders said. "Whether it's an insanity route or a diminished capacity route."

So far, there has only be a request for Gonzalez, Jr., to receive medical attention.

Arroyo was a 14-year veteran of the force and a mother of five. She was assigned to Station 26 in the Bronx.

Her wake will be held on Thursday and Friday in the Bronx. Her funeral is scheduled for Saturday, also in the Bronx.

From the article RBW posted:
    Most recently, he was arrested on February 25 for allegedly resisting arrest and kicking out a window in a police van. Prior to that, he was arrested last June for assault and harassment and reportedly released without bail in both case
    Yeah I can see why people are pissed off that this guy wasn't in jail. Less than a month ago he resisted arrest and kicked out the window of a cop car, and was released without bail?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

This is so sad, makes me so angry this guy was even out of jail to commit this heinous act. Our justice system needs fixed!

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    This pisses me off. You hold people on marijuana charges and for sleeping in the park, but THIS asswipe is walking free? She didn't need to die. I completely understand the outrage. So sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. Poor Brennen Tammons.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    ....or exchanging Puke's wang for spicy nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    I know, right? What the fuck, puke? Willing to take in Boston, an Irish dude and like, 17 dogs but not Ron? poor Ron.

The video's pretty disturbing I saw it on liveleak and I think its her you can hear screaming in the background.
    Gooble goble gooble goble one of us one of us.

Quote Originally Posted by puke View Post
    The video's pretty disturbing I saw it on liveleak and I think its her you can hear screaming in the background.
    I refuse to watch it. Massive trigger for me. I can't believe anyone would do that to another human being on purpose.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    I know, right? What the fuck, puke? Willing to take in Boston, an Irish dude and like, 17 dogs but not Ron? poor Ron.

I don't think it's her. The article says she was lifeless and in the video she isn't moving. It's a poor witness screaming. This is fucked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    gangsta rap does not help the youth
    Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    DONT MAKE ME FUCK YOUR BITCH THAT PUSSY POPPIN

Quote Originally Posted by Caraslzybonz View Post
    This is so sad, makes me so angry this guy was even out of jail to commit this heinous act. Our justice system needs fixed!
    The American justice system is fucked. But if there's anything you don't like about America, you're supposed to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    http://abc7ny.com/news/how-was-emt-m...rests/1809808/

How was EMT murder suspect free despite lengthy criminal history?

The suspected carjacker charged in the death of a 44-year-old EMT in the Bronx after allegedly running her over with her own ambulance is being held without bail, but many are questioning how Jose Gonzalez, Jr. -- who was no stranger to police -- was free in the first place.

"I'm innocent," Gonzalez said previously. "I didn't do nothing."
    Wow. WOW! Literally a Dindu Nuffin.
    Last edited by Ron_NYC; 03-20-2017 at 11:08 PM.

Seriously. Guess he doesn't realize the "didn't do nothing" phrase really translates to "I did something."

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

Just watched the video. The guy recording (or his friend with him) said it best about the cockwaffle: "fuck that motherfucker."

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    Seriously. Guess he doesn't realize the "didn't do nothing" phrase really translates to "I did something."
    That old gag?

Quote Originally Posted by daisylane View Post
    I don't think it's her. The article says she was lifeless and in the video she isn't moving. It's a poor witness screaming. This is fucked.
    I think it was her partner. I feel horrible for her as well. At the end of the video I saw, she ran over to where they had him on the ground and started kicking him. They tried holding her back so she started stomping on him.

Get 'em, girl.

RIP Yadira
    Getting arrested for coke in Vegas is like being found eating a chocolate bar in the willy wonka factory.

Quote Originally Posted by strmmrgrrl View Post
    I think it was her partner. I feel horrible for her as well. At the end of the video I saw, she ran over to where they had him on the ground and started kicking him. They tried holding her back so she started stomping on him.

Get 'em, girl.

RIP Yadira
    Pretty sure those kicks were responsible for the shape he was in in court.

How come cops can always bring in guys like this without indicent, but people get shot for tinted windows? Asking for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by strmmrgrrl View Post

Get 'em, girl.

RIP Yadira
    She'll never be the same. I'm against police brutality, but in this case I'm all for EMT brutality.
    Oh well, back to gum.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.3000873

The emotions were more raw on Thursday night, when an anguished Williams unleashed a primal scream before trying to slam her boot into the accused killer?s face.

?How could you do that to my f-----g partner?? howled the enraged Williams after the schizophrenic suspect was taken down by three passersby after Arroyo was run down.

Williams, 31, was pulled away after attempting three kicks at the suspect, although it was unclear if any found their mark.
    Oh, they found their mark alright . . .

Getting arrested for coke in Vegas is like being found eating a chocolate bar in the willy wonka factory.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    She'll never be the same. I'm against police brutality, but in this case I'm all for EMT brutality.
    Word. And she got him good, too.

Yeah I think it's the partner, which is even more heartbreaking. You must be so bonded in that job, the shit you'd see together, this is just so fucking sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
    gangsta rap does not help the youth
    Quote Originally Posted by bermstalker View Post
    DONT MAKE ME FUCK YOUR BITCH THAT PUSSY POPPIN

[QUOTE=Ron_NYC;3726218]Pretty sure those kicks were responsible for the shape he was in in court.

How come cops can always bring in guys like this without indicent, but people get shot for tinted windows? Asking for a friend.

Good question.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.3913115

The career criminal accused of killing an FDNY Emergency Medical Technician with her own ambulance could be spared prison, because a court appointed psychologist says he's unfit for trial.

The Bronx District Attorney now has 10 days to either accept the doctor's finding that Gonzalez is mentally unfit for trial or challenge the decision, a DA spokeswoman told the Daily News.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.3932923

The Bronx district attorney on Friday rejected a court psychologist's finding that the man accused of killing FDNY Emergency Medical Technician Yadira Arroyo is mentally unfit for trial.

A court psychiatrist at an April 3 hearing said that Gonzalez — an alleged gang member with a lengthy rap sheet and a history of drug abuse and mental illness — was unfit to stand trial.

But the Bronx DA decided to challenge those findings and argued in court Friday that Gonzalez could be held accountable for his actions.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.4010384

The career criminal accused of killing an FDNY emergency medical technician with her own ambulance is mentally fit to stand trial, a psychiatrist for the Bronx district attorney has decided.

The judge overseeing the case will rule on Gonzalez's fitness on June 22, a spokeswoman for the Bronx DA said Friday.
    No further updates that I can find, but yay for this DA fighting for this case!

Thread Information