Thread: Cargo ship tipped off the coast of Georgia

Cargo ship tipped off the coast of Georgia

https://myfox8.com/2019/09/08/20-res...st-of-georgia/

ST. SIMONS ISLAND, Ga. -- The U.S. Coast Guard is working to find four crew members of the Golden Ray, a more than 71-ton cargo vessel, that tipped on its side in the Port of Brunswick, WTOC reports.

Twenty members of the 24 person crew have been rescued so far.

The team is made up of 23 crew members and one pilot.

The Golden Ray is still in the St. Simons Sound, listing heavily on its side.

Authorities are working to stabilize the ship and continue to search for the four missing crew members.

The coast guard is limiting all vessel traffic in the Port of Brunswick.

The Golden Rey, a vehicle carrier, was in the process of leaving Brunswick and going to Baltimore, according to a maritime map.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/coast-gua...zed-cargo-ship
    The Coast Guard has so far freed three of the four crew members stuck in a capsized South Korea-owned cargo ship off the Georgia coast, officials said at a Monday afternoon news conference. Efforts to save the fourth are continuing.

Earlier Monday, rescuers made contact with the four crew members stuck inside the South Korea-owned cargo ship that overturned and caught fire near a major port in Georgia over the weekend, the U.S. Coast Guard said.

The Golden Ray, a 656-foot vehicle carrier, listed "heavily" and then rolled over on its side early Sunday in St. Simons Sound near Brunswick, Ga., according to the Coast Guard.

Rescuers drilled a three inch hole overnight through the ship's hull and made contact with the four crew members, who had been listed as missing.

Coast Guard rescuers were able to find the four South Korean crew members by rappelling down the side and drilling the hole, according to the U.S. Coast Guard, which added that the rescue team communicated with the trapped sailors through the hole they drilled and also gave them food and water through the hole.

U.S. Coast Guard Capt. John Reed told reporters on Monday afternoon that the three saved crew members were in one area of the massive vessel and the fourth, who is currently being rescued, is stuck behind glass, enclosed in an engineering control room. Reed added that the three were able to get access to fresh air, food and water through the hole, but rescue crews were unable to reach the fourth crew member.

Reed said rescuers will find a way to get the fourth person safely extracted from that room where he has no access to fresh air, water and food.

"We will continue to press forward," Reed told reporters.

Reed said when rescue teams heard "tap backs" from the three crew members stuck inside the cargo ship throughout the night it "really motivated the team" to continue with their rescue efforts.

"Knowing that the people were alive made all the difference," said Reed.

He said the four crew members had been "subject to tough conditions over day and a half." He added that the three saved crew members were transported to an area hospital to be checked out.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

They've all been rescued! Hallelujah!

I live near Saint Simons Island so I've been following this story closely. I'm glad all the crew members were rescued. We've been worried about them since Day 1.
    Unfortunately, now we have to worry about the oil spilling from the cargo ship and the cargo ship itself. A big part of the town's economy is based on the port. I don't think any cargo ships are allowed to come and go from the port (don't take my word for it. I'm not 100% sure). The cargo ship is outside of the channel so maybe they will be allowed, but for right now, assuming no cargo ships can come and go, that'll have a huge impact on our city's economy. I hope this situation will be resolved soon and we can go back to our normal lives.

https://thebrunswicknews.com/news/lo...c93f8223e.html
    That operation wrapped up when the fourth member was extricated at 5:50 p.m. Monday. Rescuing the last crew member aboard the Golden Ray represents some challenges, Reed said, as he was trapped behind a glass partition in an engineering room. Rescuers had not been able to get water, food or fresh air to him as they did for the three who rescued, Reed said at the 3:30 p.m. press conference.

Despite his ordeal, the fourth and final crewman was in fairly good condition, Coast Guard Brunswick Commander Justin Irwin said.

"He pretty much walked out on his own," Irwin said.

All four are expected to be released from the hospital tomorrow, Irwin said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

Thread Information