Thread: Detroit TV meteorologist Jessica Starr (35) committed suicide by hanging herself after problems recovering from SMILE eye surgery

Detroit TV meteorologist Jessica Starr (35) committed suicide by hanging herself after problems recovering from SMILE eye surgery

Last edited by raisedbywolves; 11-16-2022 at 07:51 PM.

Seems odd for a suicide motive

Yeah, I need more info. Was there tremendous scarring? Blindness? Double vision?...that affected her job?

Senior Member Alison Worthington's Avatar
    Some interesting info on the risks and long-term side effects here:

https://www.webmd.com/eye-health/new...-and-the-risks

Yeah, I want more info too. I had LASIK over 16 years ago and it was life changing for me. It is surgery though, and I think it's become so common place that people forget that and forget that there are potential side effects. I also wonder if the LASIK issues were just one contributing factor.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Yeah, I want more info too. I had LASIK over 16 years ago and it was life changing for me. It is surgery though, and I think it's become so common place that people forget that and forget that there are potential side effects. I also wonder if the LASIK issues were just one contributing factor.
    I think she had some other stuff going on besides the lasik complications.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Damn maybe it was because of the surgery. It sounds like she went through hell and didn’t see any other option out.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

I can totally get what she was going through. I'm a professional artist/designer who luckily has excellent vision, and if my sight were screwed up to the extent that it affected my work even a little, I'd probably be inconsolable and dive into a deep depression. Being artistic has been a big part of my identity since I was little and experiencing creativity in a more limited way would crush me. Not exactly the same thing with this person, but I can completely understand her perspective.

I doubt she killed herself solely because of surgical complications but her husband is going to say that she did so he can sue tf out of whoever operated on her.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaHag42 View Post
    I doubt she killed herself solely because of surgical complications but her husband is going to say that she did so he can sue tf out of whoever operated on her.

I agree that just surgical complications alone didn't cause her to kill herself. Welcome to MDS!

Quote Originally Posted by SeaHag42 View Post
    Are you going to shit up a bunch of unrelated threads here with your ranting about people filing civil suits ?

Physicians hates lawsuits ;)

Thread Information