Thread: Brian McCluney & Justin Walker missing from Port Canavaral since 8/16/19 after taking their boat out for a test run

Brian McCluney & Justin Walker missing from Port Canavaral since 8/16/19 after taking their boat out for a test run

A family member said it was supposed to be a quick fishing trip from Port Canaveral on Friday, but the two men who were testing the boat before trying to sell it are still missing.

The Coast Guard has stretched its search into Volusia County for Brian McCluney and Justin Walker. The boat that is being searched for is a 23-foot Robalo center console, white hull with a black T top.

Coast Guard Sector Jacksonville Command Center, the Navy and the Brevard County Sheriff's Office are looking for the missing boaters. (Coast Guard Southeast)

The men's targeted fishing location was about 30 to 35 miles out.

Search crews suspended their air search overnight and continued Sunday morning, however, they have been searching by boat and radar throughout the night.

Chief Petty Officer Luke Clayton of the Coast Guard said search crews have covered an estimated 4,800 miles, from the south to north, from Port Canaveral to the north of Jacksonville.

Kevin McCluney says his younger brother Brian McCluney and friend Walker, both firefighters from different departments, were on a quick fishing trip to make sure the boat was in working order before selling it.

"Hit the water at 11 o'clock at Port Canaveral. It was supposed to be a quick fishing trip," Kevin McCluney told Spectrum News 13.

COAST GUARD SEARCH: USCG is involved in a search for 2 unaccounted for boaters who left Port Canaveral on Friday and failed to return. JAX firefighter Brian McCluney and Fairfax, VA firefighter Justin Walker were last seen as they launched their 22 foot Robalo from the boat ramp. pic.twitter.com/1iGCDswhNo
    ? Port Canaveral (@PortCanaveral) August 17, 2019

According to Kevin McCluney, they were supposed to be back by 6 p.m. Friday but never came home. He found out the boat had issues before and this was the first time it was back in the water.

"They bought a new battery for it, they had an electrical problem probably. There is a radio on the boat, they didn't use it," he said.

Brian McCluney is a U.S. Navy combat veteran with survival training.

"He knows what he's doing, he's been fishing in these waters since we were children," Kevin McCluney said. "He knows the water, he knows this spot. He knows what to do for sure."

Coast Guard Sector Jacksonville Command Center, the Navy and the Brevard County Sheriff's Office were out Saturday looking for the missing boaters.
    This is all over the news where I live. The weather hasn't been good at all in this area during this time. The family seems optimistic, but I am less so at this point.

https://www.wftv.com/news/local/us-c...-say/976927397

The U.S. Coast Guard is continuing to search by air and sea along the Florida coastline for two Florida fishermen last seen launching a boat from Cape Canaveral Friday morning.

Officials said Brian McCluney and Justin Walker, both firefighters by trade, were last seen departing the 300 Christopher Columbus boat ramp Friday in a 24-foot center console boat heading toward the 8A reef.

Family members said they alerted the Coast Guard after the men didn't return home as expected Friday evening. The Coast Guard, Navy, Brevard County Sheriff's Office, Florida Wildlife Commission and dozens of volunteers have been searching for the pair ever since.

The Coast Guard tweeted Monday morning that so far crews have searched an estimated 24,000 miles since Friday and are continuing to search from Port Canaveral up to Jacksonville.

"Days are long and nights are longer," said Stephanie McCluney, the wife of one of the boaters.

The Coast Guard tweeted over the weekend that they'd received leads about debris found near St. Augustine and a boat near Jacksonville, but that both were false alarms.

"There's been no debris field found anywhere, which they're confident that's a great thing," Stephanie said.

She said they hope the boat is stuck in the water somewhere and just hasn't been found yet.

Kevin McCluney, the brother of missing boater Brian McCluney, said if anyone is resourceful enough to survive it would be these two men.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say the test run failed.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

I hope they had food and water with them.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

https://www.wesh.com/article/firefig...veral/28728887

The wife of one of two firefighters lost at sea says a tackle bag that belonged to her husband was found Monday 50 miles off the coast of St. Augustine.

Authorities said they have searched thousands square miles of ocean for the two firefighters who disappeared after setting out from Port Canaveral on a fishing trip.

Brian McCluney and Justin Walker were last seen leaving the 300 Christopher Columbus Boat Ramp on Friday around 11 a.m.

Officials said the pair were believed to have gone offshore around 30 miles and were expected to return around 6 p.m.

They were boating toward a fishing spot known as 8A reef. McCluney works for the Jacksonville Fire and Rescue Department, and Justin Walker is a master technician for the Fairfax County Fire and Rescue Department in Virginia. The Jacksonville Fire Department said 50 of its firefighters are assisting on 11 boats.
    The Coast Guard said an aircraft reported seeing a boat matching the one the pair was in around 50 miles east of Jacksonville on Sunday.

According to officials, a search plane spotted a cooler and life jackets. Multiple crews have been dispatched to search that area.

The Coast Guard said when they arrived to the search area, the debris found was not related to the boaters.

Following the discovery of McCluney's tackle bag by a Good Samaritan, the Coast Guard said it will be focusing on the area where that bag was found.

The men were on a boat that belonged to McCluney's late father, who passed away last month.

Anyone with information is asked to contact the United States Coast Guard Sector Jacksonville Command Center at 904-714-7558.

The ocean is a dick.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumaki15 View Post
    The ocean is a dick.
    I was wondering why it took you so long to comment on this.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wife-flori...ry?id=65053913

Around 11 a.m. Monday, an off-shore angular fishing bag was found by a civilian searcher about 50 nautical miles east of St. Augustine, officials said. Family has confirmed that the bag belonged to McCluney.

Search efforts will be increased Tuesday in the area where the bag was found. Officials are asking anyone with a boat that can go out 30 to 50 miles off shore to assist in the search.

Meanwhile, the wife of one of the missing men is speaking out about the circumstances surrounding the men's situation.

Stephanie McCluney, wife of Brian McCluney, expressed her concerns – and her resolve -- to ABC's local affiliate station in Jacksonville, Florida, WJXX.

"It was supposed to be a fairly short day on the water," she said. "I gave them until 6 p.m. maybe because the fishing was great. But 6 o'clock, I didn't hear and I still could see that he didn't read my messages – they hadn't even been delivered yet … at 8 p.m. we called the Coast Guard."

One of the main reasons McCluney and Walker were taking the fishing boat out for the day was to honor Brian McCluney's recently-departed father.

"[Brian] wanted to get those lines wet one more time. You know, one big final hurrah for his dad and it was just supposed to be one great day in his honor … he was excited to get out there on the water," said Stephanie McCluney.

Instead, the day ended with a massive search party being launched for the two missing men.

About 50 firefighters from the Jacksonville Fire and Rescue Department joined the Coast Guard in searching for the lost firefighters, combing the waters between Daytona Beach and Vilano in 11 boats over the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I was wondering why it took you so long to comment on this.
    You can never be too careful. It's always listening.

https://www.news4jax.com/news/what-w...missing-at-sea

While the conditions outside have been favorable, the ocean’s currents present a continuing challenge for searchers, Vlaun said. He said that’s especially true of the Gulf Stream, where water moves faster, and eddy currents, which can make things less predictable.

Though he acknowledged that time is of the essence, Vlaun did not say how long the search would carry on. "This is what we do, we like to think we are the best at it," he said. "We are going to continue to throw everything we have at this until we reach a point where we know we can’t be successful."

Below is a list of what we know and don't know so far about the search:
    Search effort covers 90,286 square miles

In the hours that have ticked by since the firefighters were reported missing, the Coast Guard, partners from other agencies and volunteers have covered more than 90,286 square miles in a massive search effort that spans from Brevard County, Florida up to the Carolinas. Aircraft are also searching from St. Augustine up to Savannah, Georgia. In addition, private aircraft -- including a Cessna carrying Walker's wife -- have been patrolling the skies for any sign of the firefighters.
    Tackle bag helps rescuers pinpoint search

The most notable development in the days-long search has been the discovery Monday of a tackle bag belonging to McCluney. Authorities said the equipment bag was found roughly 50 miles off the shore of St. Augustine, and McCluney's wife is confident the bag is her husband's. Vlaun said the discovery led searchers to focus on that immediate area. The lid to a Styrofoam cooler was found nearby, he said, but there is no link at this point between the lid and the missing boaters.
    Ongoing effort remains a 'rescue operation'

Speaking Tuesday, Vlaun said the search for McCluney and Walker remains a "rescue operation," not a recovery mission. But with each day that passes without more clues, the window to find the firefighters closes even more. The captain said the decision to call of a search would be made if it became clear there was no hope of having success, but he noted that it's his call to make. "I would say the next 24 hours are absolutely critical," he said. "We are in a race against time."
    Doctor says firefighters' health a concern

It's unclear if the firefighters are still with McCluney's boat, a 24-foot center console, which would be the best-case scenario. Even if they are, they could face health issues including sun exposure, dehydration and malnutrition, UF Health Jacksonville's Dr. Andrew Schmidt said. But more concerning is if they're in the water, which would be more dire. "Anybody exposed to water under 94 degrees after a certain amount of time will experience hypothermia," Schmidt said.
    Fate of firefighters' boat a question mark

Authorities do not know what happened to the firefighters' boat. When the search began, McCluney's wife, Stephanie, expressed a personal belief that a mechanical mishap was to blame, saying: "I really am confident it's mechanical failure." Vlaun said the Coast Guard has not ruled out any possibilities, so they're exploring "multiple scenarios." Complicating matters is that the boat was not equipped with an EPIRB, which would help rescuers find them.
    I don't understand not having an EPIRB. We have one, and we aren't even going out into the open ocean. We talked about jetskiing to the Bahamas with friends a few years ago, and there was no freaking way I would have considered it without everyone having some type of location device.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/search-fir...ry?id=65120894

The search for two firefighters who went missing during a fishing trip off the coast of Florida last week was suspended on Thursday night, officials announced.

Jacksonville, Florida, firefighter Brian McCluney and Fairfax, Virginia, firefighter Justin Walker never returned after launching off the coast of Port Canaveral, near the Kennedy Space Center, on Friday, according to U.S. Coast Guard officials.

Search and rescue teams continued to look for the pair on Thursday, but U.S. Coast Guard Capt. Mark Vlaun told reporters at a news conference that the search would conclude at sundown and not extend into an eighth day.

Because of the strength of the Gulf Stream, the search area currently exceeds 105,000 square miles -- from Florida to several hundred miles off the coast of New England, Vlaun said, adding that officials are no longer able to look for the men with a "probability of success."

"I'm no longer able to pinpoint a specific location," Vlaun said.

Searchers were not able to find any additional evidence after a fishing bag that belonged to McCluney was found by a civilian about 50 nautical miles east of St. Augustine, Florida, about 100 miles north from where the pair set off, Vlaun said.

The 24-foot boat they left on also has not been found.
    /https://www.facebook.com/groups/Brin...nAndBrianHome/

https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-us-s...ighters-at-sea

https://clear-give.com/egive3/index....1&refresh=true
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 08-23-2019 at 09:49 AM.

I hate to Debbie downer this thread but I don’t think they will be found alive. You can only survive 3 days without water, and unless they packed a bunch (which is unlikely) they are goners.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Sorry to double, but if the wife was right and they had mechanical problems wouldn’t they not be able to get far? Or would the current drag them out further?

It seems like the searchers have covered a vast area, I just don’t know why they haven’t been found yet.

It reminds me of this story. They left from just a little further south of Port Canavaral. I don't think there's much hope to find them alive...I pretty much thought that by the time they went national with the story. The weather was really bad in that area around the time they went missing, and the current is really strong right now.

http://mydeathspace.com/vb/showthrea...ghlight=austin

It reminds me of this story. They left from just a little further south of Port Canavaral. I don't think there's much hope to find them alive...I pretty much thought that by the time they went national with the story. The weather was really bad in that area around the time they went missing, and the current is really strong right now.

http://mydeathspace.com/vb/showthrea...ghlight=austin
    The cases do seem similar.

The family isn’t giving up hope: https://www.firehouse.com/careers-ed...giving-up-hope

I just discovered some bouys have cameras on them. You can see shots of the ocean in real time.

https://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/buoycams.shtml

I think this is another fb group different from the one rbw posted:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3031...epa=SEARCH_BOX
    Last edited by Angiebla; 08-25-2019 at 01:46 PM.

Wow, I didn't know there were buoys in the ocean with cameras on them. Very interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    The cases do seem similar.
    That's because it's the oceans M.O.

I still can’t believe there has been no debris found. At least with the teenagers they found the boat.

The tropical storm is heading that way, if they are alive, not for long.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I still can’t believe there has been no debris found. At least with the teenagers they found the boat.

The tropical storm is heading that way, if they are alive, not for long.
    I had the same thought about the storm.

With the teenagers it took like a year for the boat to be found, so it's possible the firefighter's boat will be found in the future, even if they aren't.

I had the same thought about the storm.

With the teenagers it took like a year for the boat to be found, so it's possible the firefighter's boat will be found in the future, even if they aren't.
    I didn’t realize it took a year to find their boat.

These guys are gone, hopefully their bodies can be returned to their families, but I doubt it.

Thread Information