Thread: Sydney Entrepreneur, Jonathan Pfahl (37), Drowned After Falling From The Symphony Of The Seas Cruise Ship

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sydney Entrepreneur, Jonathan Pfahl (37), Drowned After Falling From The Symphony Of The Seas Cruise Ship

https://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...794ea9a6266f00

Australian man dead after falling overboard from cruise ship

A Sydney man holidaying with his family to celebrate his wife?s birthday has drowned after he fell overboard from a cruise ship.

Lauren McMah and Vanessa Brown
    news.com.auAUGUST 16, 201911:23AM

An Australian man who died after he fell overboard on a Royal Caribbean cruise ship has been identified as Sydney entrepreneur Jonathan Pfahl.

Mr Pfahl, 37, drowned after falling from the Symphony of the Seas as the ship made its way from St Kitts to St Thomas in the Caribbean early Wednesday morning.

The ship launched a rescue boat and Mr Pfahl?s body was recovered after a full-scale search.

Royal Caribbean's new cruise ship Symphony of the Seas. Picture: SBW-PhotoSource:Supplied

A friend close to London-based Mr Pfahl, who grew up in Sydney, confirmed he was holidaying with his wife and two young children at the time.

?It was his wife?s birthday family holiday,? the friend said.

?All we know is he went overboard early [in the[ morning and the body has not been released off the ship in Miami yet. Hopefully [it will be released] Saturday.

Royal Caribbean said they were deeply saddened by the incident.

?We are deeply saddened by the tragic incident that occurred on the Symphony of the Seas en route to St Thomas,? a spokesperson told news.com.au in a statement.

?Our hearts go out to the family and loved ones for their loss, and our care team is providing support and assistance during this difficult time.?

Jon Pfahl was on a seven-day cruise through the Caribbean when he died.Source:Supplied

The businessman with Sir Bob Geldof at an event for his company, Rockstar Group.Source:Supplied

It is unclear how he fell overboard.

Mr Pfahl, who attended Sydney?s Knox Grammar School and the University of Sydney, founded the British-based company Rockstar Group, which mentors entrepreneurs and invests in businesses.

Jon has been described as a "family man" who was a great father.Source:Facebook

?He was a businessman who helped so many start ups around the world,? friend and co-founder of AmeriCamp Lee McAteer told news.com.au

?He helped businesses get off the ground by helping to provide loans to help get the business started. I was introduced to him in Liverpool (in the UK) and we hit it off straight away.?

Mr Pfahl, a former student of Sydney?s Knox Grammar School and the University of Sydney, founded the company Rockstar Group.Source:Supplied

Mr McAteer said he was due to meet with Mr Pfahl shortly after he arrived home from the cruise to attend a football game back in London.

?He was incredibly ambitious, a mentor to so many people who loved his family. He had his own band. He was incredibly charismatic who inspired everyone around him.

?I have huge respect for JP, (he) always had incredible ideas and I loved hanging out with him. I am truly shocked and saddened.

It is understood Jon was on the cruise ship to celebrate his wife Lisa's birthdaySource:Facebook

?The world has lost a brilliant, innovative and caring family man who was an inspiration to everyone around him.?

Mr Pfahl moved to London in 2005 to pursue his career in finance. In an interview with UK website Australian Times, the businessman said his first investment was ?into a three-month mentoring program with a multi-millionaire property investor?. In the 2015 interview, Mr Pfahl said spoke of his Australian wife, and while he loves to visit Sydney, ?London is home

Another friend, Karen Gould, said Mr Pfahl - who was nicknamed JP - was a ? mentor?, a ?great rock star? and ?loved life?.

?I am devastated by the news,? Ms Gould, who was also on holiday when she found out about Mr Pfahl?s passing, told news.com.au.

?He was a loyal friend who believed in me when I had lost faith in myself. I went on to become his friend and worked for him.

?He was a great entrepreneur who inspired many other young entrepreneurs with his inspiration and motivation. He was a loving father and husband and he did live life like a rock star. He was known as JP the legend.?

Friends said he was often nicknamed JP the rock starSource:Facebook

In a statement to news.com.au, the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade said it ?stands ready to provide assistance, in accordance with the Consular Services Charter, should it be requested.

?Owing to our privacy obligations we will not provide further comment.?

The US Coast Guard said it wouldn?t investigate the incident as the ship was registered to the Bahamas, the man was not a US citizen and the death happened in international waters, the Miami Herald reported.

The ship was on a seven-day cruise through the eastern Caribbean and was due to return to Miami, Florida on Saturday. The man?s body will remain on the ship until it returns to Miami.

Last year, 23 people went overboard on cruise ships and only four bodies were found, according to the Herald.

I assume his last name would be pronounced "fall"? How unfortunate.

As I've said many times, fuck cruise ships. Fuck 'em hard.

I think I'll start linking this in all our cruise ship threads

https://www.cruiseshipdeaths.com/

Thread Information