Thread: Baby Hope's unknown mother indicted through DNA profile

Baby Hope's unknown mother indicted through DNA profile

https://patch.com/illinois/wheaton/i...pe-case-report

WHEATON, IL ? Nearly three years to the day since the remains of the infant known as Baby Hope were found inside a backpack in unincorporated Wheaton, the DuPage County Sheriff's Office has announced an indictment. A woman, referred to as "Jane Doe," was indicted Thursday using only a DNA profile.

The felony indictment for failing to report the death or disappearance of a child comes after the DuPage County Sheriff's Office has spent three years working to identify the infant and piece together what happened before her body was found in a driveway on Plamodon Road on Aug. 15, 2016. In August 2017, police announced that it had been determined that Baby Hope took "at least one breath" before she died.

Newborn Baby Hope Took 'At Least One Breath' Before She Died: Cops

After Baby Hope was discovered, police used DNA phenotyping to generate images of what the infant's parents might look like. The research found that the infant's parents were "of Latino ancestry."

Initially, police expressed concern over the well-being of Baby Hope's mother, saying they believed she could also be in danger.

"This has been an extremely tragic case, but we have never stopped working to find closure for Baby Hope," DuPage County Sheriff James Mendrick said in a statement.

DuPage County State's Attorney Robert Berlin said the DuPage County Sheriff's Office's "commitment to bringing justice to Baby Hope is inspiring. I have no doubt that because of their efforts we will get answers to all of our questions and justice will be served in Baby Hope's honor."

This most recent development in the Baby Hope case provides a shred of hope for a community that has been searching for answers since 2016. Despite not knowing her identity, the community lovingly gave the baby a name and in 2017 planted a tree in her memory.

If its definitely her DNA, why won't they name her?
    Poor baby 💜 I hope someone finally pays for her death.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Rivers View Post
    If its definitely her DNA, why won't they name her?
    Poor baby 💜 I hope someone finally pays for her death.
    They don't know who she is. It's like when they are trying to identify UID bodies. They have her DNA profile, and can maybe eventually match it to someone (using the DNA databases and genealogy) but right now they just have the profile. They are indicting to preserve the case and evidence in it.

Different Baby Hope. The one by my house they still don't have any leads.
    Gooble goble gooble goble one of us one of us. t(-_-)t

Thread Information