Thread: Zhang Zixin (9) was abducted and drowned by 2 adults that took also drowned themselves

Zhang Zixin (9) was abducted and drowned by 2 adults that took also drowned themselves

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/12/asia/...hnk/index.html

Search crews on Friday raced to find a missing 9-year-old Chinese girl in caves and waters along the East China Sea, as the deepening mystery of her weeklong disappearance continued to grip the nation.

In live videos streamed by state-run media outlet Beijing News, crews on speedboats were seen to be deploying sonar equipment as they tried to detect signs of Zhang Zixin in waters near Xiangshan county in the eastern Chinese province of Zhejiang. Drones may be used as well, according to the search teams.
    Zhang, a bespectacled second-grader with a long pony tail, was last seen in security camera footage from around 7:30 p.m. Sunday, when she appeared on a road not far from the current search area, along with a middle-aged couple who had been renting rooms at her house in rural Chun'an county, some 150 kilometers (93 miles) away.

When another surveillance camera in the area caught the two adults almost three hours later, the girl was nowhere to be seen. The man and woman, both hailing from the southern province of Guangdong, drowned themselves in a nearby lake later that night, local police said in a statement released Wednesday.

The girl's government services card was found in a pavilion along the Xiangshan coast on Wednesday night, according to the authorities, who announced a 10 kilometer (6.2 miles) radius search zone.

In an interview Wednesday with the mass-circulating Dushi Kuaibao newspaper, a Zhejiang-based state-run publication, the girl's father, Zhang Jun said the tenants had tricked his elderly farmer parents, who were Zixin's primary caretakers, into letting them take the girl away while he was working in a northern Chinese city hundreds of miles away.

Zhang Jun recalled how the male tenant -- who he identified as Liang Denghua -- and the woman -- who was only identified by her surname Xie in police statements -- claimed on July 3 to want to make Zixin a flower girl at a wedding in Shanghai. Despite his objections, Zhang said Liang and Xie led the girl away the next morning.

For three days, Zhang Jun said he was able to stay in touch with Liang via WeChat, China's most popular social media platform. Liang promised to bring the girl home by the end of July 6 and sent frequent updates, according to the father, who said everything seemed "normal" initially.

In footage Liang sent to Zhang Jun, who later shared with the Beijing News, Zixin can be seen visiting tourist sites with the two adults and watching videos on a phone on a train. The girl appeared relaxed, answering Liang's questions with a smile. Her voice in audio messages also sounded relaxed.

The problem: None of the locations was anywhere near Shanghai.

Zhang Jun said he became increasingly suspicious and finally took an overnight train home last Saturday. He said he spoke to Zixin for the last time midday Sunday. The father said his daughter sounded calm and told him she was in northern Xiangshan.

By Sunday night, things had started to look more ominous. Liang had refused the father's offer to drive to their location to pick Zixin up, but agreed to have him pay for a taxi to drive them back to Zixin's home, according to Zhang Jun, who added that Liang switched off his phone shortly afterwards.

Zhang Jun reported his daughter missing to the police on Monday morning, and posted Zixin and Liang's information online the next day. After police confirmed the death of the two adults, Zixin's fate has become a nationwide fixation.

State media outlets have been providing breathless coverage on the story, with journalists descending on the hometowns of Zhang, Liang and Xie to uncover details ranging from Zhang Jun's broken marriage, Liang's mental state to Xie's past debts.

As internet users scrutinize social media platforms, speculations and conspiracy theories also abound across Chinese cyberspace, with some commentators wondering aloud if Liang and Xie were members of a cult -- based on certain images and seemingly odd content posted by Liang.

Many online posts have also pointed to another coincidence: Zhang Jun and his long-estranged wife formally filed for divorce on Monday, when Zixin was already missing.

Zhang's now ex-wife, who only wanted to be identified by her surname Zeng, told the Beijing News on Thursday that she and Zhang Jun had been living different provinces and the couple had planned on the filing date in advance. Zeng said she hadn't seen her daughter for three years and wasn't aware of her missing until Wednesday, two days after the divorce.

CNN's repeated phone calls to Zhang Jun went unanswered Friday and has been unable to locate Zeng.

By midday Friday, however, hopes of finding Zixin -- alive or dead -- had faded as the search operation was called off amid rainy weather and choppy sea.

https://www.thestar.com.my/news/regi...rsuicide-pact/

Chinese police say abducted girl, 9, drowned in murder-suicide pact

A nine-year-old girl at the centre of an abduction case which gripped China is believed to have drowned in what police are calling a murder-suicide.

Mainland authorities debunked child trafficking and cult conspiracy theories that have swirled around the disappearance and subsequent death of Zhang Zixin, who was abducted on July 4 from her grandparents’ house by a mysterious pair who were renting a flat from the family.

Zixin’s body was recovered on Saturday from the sea near Xiangshan county in Ningbo, in the eastern province of Zhejiang after days of searching involving more than 500 police officers. Police said there were no signs of injuries and her death appeared consistent with drowning.

The child was abducted from her family home on the outskirts of the provincial capital Hangzhou by the tenants, who claimed they were taking her to a wedding as a flower girl. The 43-year-old man, surnamed Liang, and his 45-year-old girlfriend, surnamed Xie, took their own lives, according to police, and their bodies were recovered from Dongqian Lake in Ningbo on July 8.

More than 500 police officers were involved in the search for Zhang Zixin, the missing nine-year-old girl whose body was found on Saturday, in waters at a beauty spot in Ningbo, in the eastern province of Zhejiang. Photo: Sohu

The couple had no prior connection with Zixin’s family.

In a statement on Sunday evening, Zhejiang’s provincial public security department ruled out any cult activities by the couple, and also excluded any possibility that Zixin had fallen into the water by accident, citing evidence from surveillance cameras, eye witnesses, and the road conditions at the scenic spot where she disappeared.

A report on Sunday in the Zhejiang-based newspaper Peace Times, run by the local police authority, said the child could not have slipped into the water because the couple did not seek help and no longer had her belongings when they were found. Police speculated that they had disposed of them, along with her daily necessities, following her death.

An eye witness told police he saw Liang heading to the beauty spot with the child on his back on the evening of July 7, and guessed that she was tired, possibly sleeping, at that time, according to the newspaper.

Police said surveillance footage confirmed that the couple left the area without Zixin, caught a taxi and, about an hour later, arrived at Dongqian Lake, where they drank alcohol before taking their own lives.

Speculation over the couple’s motivation for taking the girl has been circulating for a week on the internet in China. Some people believed they were planning to sell Zixin while others theorised they had been influenced by a cult which induced them to kill her as a flower girl for their own wedding in the underworld.

But police said the evidence indicated the couple planned to take Zixin in some kind of murder-suicide pact, ruling out a child trafficking crime as they had used their real names and were not in contact with any child buyers after the abduction, according to the Peace Times article.

Liang and Xie had lived together since 2005, without registering their marriage. The police statement said they had been committing fraud for years and had found it more difficult recently to make ends meet, with just 31.7 yuan (US$4.60) in their bank account at the time of their deaths.

The Peace Times article also reported that the couple had shown strong suicidal intentions over the past six months. Between April and Zixin’s abduction at the beginning of July, they had travelled to 48 cities across the country, giving away or dumping their suitcases and clothes until they had few belongings left.

This story is so odd. They didn't know this girl, but kidnapped her, just to drown her and themselves?

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    This story is so odd. They didn't know this girl, but kidnapped her, just to drown her and themselves?
    Yeah, I find this story fascinating but confusing. I think there has to be more to it than they are letting on to.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Yeah, I find this story fascinating but confusing. I think there has to be more to it than they are letting on to.
    I feel like there has to be....

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

Thread Information