Thread: Police: 11 people killed in shooting at Virginia Beach municipal center; suspect dead

Police: 11 people killed in shooting at Virginia Beach municipal center; suspect dead

https://abc7ny.com/police-11-people-...-dead/5325179/

VIRGINIA BEACH, VA -- A shooter wounded "multiple" people at a municipal center in Virginia Beach on Friday, according to police, who said they had taken a suspect into custody and believed the person was acting alone.

Police tweeted that there were "multiple injuries," but did not elaborate on the exact number or extent. They announced a news conference Friday evening.

At least one victim was taken to the Sentara Princess Anne Hospital and another was brought to Virginia Beach General Hospital, Sentara spokesman Dale Gauding told The Virginian-Pilot .

Christina Pullen, a spokeswoman for the FBI in Norfolk, said the bureau is responding to assist Virginia Beach police. She did not have specifics on how many people were hurt.

A police spokesman told The Virginian-Pilot that the shooter opened fire in Building 2 of the municipal center, which is adjacent to City Hall. The building houses the city's public works, public utilities and planning departments, according to City Councilwoman Barbara Henley, who arrived at City Hall building about 4 p.m. Friday when she saw a crowd of people standing outside.

"Somebody told me there had been a shooting and they were told to leave. Afterward, I heard a loud male voice say, 'Get down!' so I did," Henley told The Associated Press.

"When the person said to get down, then everybody dispersed pretty quickly," she said.

"I'm just sick," she said. "All these people that I work with all the time. They are such really fine people, and I just hope they're all safe."

https://wtkr.com/2019/05/31/virginia...g-on-lockdown/

Here is more

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. - A shooting at the Virginia Beach Municipal Center left 11 people dead and 6 injured, according to MPO Tonya Pierce. The shooting suspect is also dead, but is not one of the 11.

The incident happened at Building 2 in the 2400 block of Courthouse Drive.

Police said they have no information on the condition of the injured victims. One of the injured was a Virginia Beach Police officer who was saved by his vest.

Dale Gauding of Sentara confirmed that five patients were taken to Sentara Virginia Beach General Hospital and one patient was flown from Sentara Princess Anne Hospital to the Level I Trauma Center at Sentara Norfolk General Hospital.

At this time police believe there was only one shooter, a longtime current employee of the city. Police say the suspect opened fire on multiple floors.

The Norfolk FBI is assisting Virginia Beach Police with its investigation.

The courthouse was on lockdown while police responded. Police ask that residents avoid the municipal center area.

Families with loved ones working in the municipal buildings are being asked to go to Princess Anne Middle School.

In a press conference, Police Chief Jim Cervera commended first responders for their actions. "When this violent act occurred, police and fire-rescue responded and did the professional thing that they do, because that's what they do," he said.

Cervera also said that citizens can "rest easy" tonight after the suspect was taken down.

"This day will not define Virginia Beach, our response will define Virginia Beach," Councilman Aaron Rouse said. "We will come together, we will show the strength of our city."

Governor Ralph Northam said on Twitter that he and his team are monitoring the situation, and asked that people stay away from the area and follow all instructions from law enforcement.

Northam also said that he is en route to Virginia Beach, and that the shooting marks a tragic day for Virginia Beach and the entire Commonwealth.

https://www.13newsnow.com/article/ne...b-43509ba6f338

Police say 11 people have been killed and six others injured in a mass shooting at a municipal building in Virginia Beach. The suspected shooter is dead.
    Author: Staff
    Published: 4:32 PM EDT May 31, 2019
    Updated: 7:15 PM EDT May 31, 2019
    VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. — Virginia Beach Police say 11 people are dead following a shooting at the Virginia Beach Municipal Center. The suspected shooter is also dead following a shootout with police.

Virginia Beach Police Chief Jim Cervera said the suspect was a current, longtime employee of Virginia Beach Public Works who opened fire and shot "indiscriminately" at workers inside an operations building in the Virginia Beach Municipal Center on Friday afternoon.

Chief Cervera said there were 11 victims killed total, in addition to the suspected gunman who was killed by police in a shootout.

Six people were hurt, including a Virginia Beach police officer.

A spokesman for Sentara Healthcare said five patients have been taken to Sentara Virginia Beach General Hospital and one patient was taken to Sentara Princess Anne Hospital, but was taken by Nightengale to Sentara Norfolk General Hospital to the Level I Trauma Center.

There is no immediate word on the extent of the victims' injuries.

At a news conference, Virginia Beach Mayor Bobby Dyer described it as "the most devastating day in the history of Virginia Beach."
    Mass Shooter was a City Employee

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48481814

Eleven people were killed and six others injured in a mass shooting at a government building in the US state of Virginia, police said.

Police said the suspect, a long-term and current Virginia Beach city employee, fired "indiscriminately" in a public utilities building.

The gunman, whose identity was not released, was killed when police responded to the incident.

Reports of the shooting started shortly after 16:00 (20:00 GMT) on Friday.

Police Chief James Cervera said the gunman returned fire on police officers but was killed in the exchange.

A police officer was among the six wounded after a bullet struck his vest, Chief Cervera told reporters.

Police said they believed the gunman had acted alone, but the motive for the shooting was not immediately clear.

"This is the most devastating day in the history of Virginia Beach," the mayor, Robert Dyer, told reporters at a press conference.

The area around the building, which contains a range of city government buildings, was put into lockdown and employees were evacuated.

"We just heard people yelling and screaming at people to get down," Megan Banton, an administrative assistant in the building, told local television news station WAVY.

Another employee told the AP news agency she and others heard shooting, but didn't think the gunfire was close.

"I just thank god they were able to alert us in time, because if it had been 10 minutes more we would have all been outside," Sheila Cook said.

Virginia governor Ralph Northam described the incident as a "tragic day" for the city and the state.

"My heart breaks for the victims of this devastating shooting, their families, and all who loved them," he said on Twitter. "I am on my way to Virginia Beach now and will be there within the hour."

The FBI was at the scene helping local authorities investigate the shooting, US media reported.

According to US tracking website Gun Violence Archive the incident is the 150th mass shooting incident in the US this year.

https://wtkr.com/2019/05/31/virginia...g-on-lockdown/

Now Headline has been changed to say 12 people reported dead in the mass shooting.

This is devastating. These workplace shootings happen so often now; I don't think they'll ever stop. RIP to the deceased. Great reporting, Kambing!

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-48483618

. Officials in the US city of Virginia Beach have named the 12 people killed by a gunman who went on a rampage in a municipal building on Friday.

City manager Dave Hansen said the victims - 11 local authority workers and one contractor - "leave a void we will never be able to fill".

The gunman shot indiscriminately before dying in a gun battle with police.

He has been identified as DeWayne Craddock and described by police as a disgruntled city employee.

What is known about the victims?
    The municipal workers killed were Laquita Brown; Tara Gallagher; Mary Louise Gayle; Alexander Gusev; Katherine Nixon; Richard Nettleton; Christopher Kelly Rapp; Ryan Keith Cox; Joshua Hardy; Michelle Langer and Robert Williams.

The contractor was identified as Herbert Snelling.

They were named during a news briefing on Saturday by Mr Hansen, who added: "Today we all grieve."

At least four people are known to have been wounded, including a police officer whose life was saved by his bulletproof vest.
    What about the gunman?
    Police said DeWayne Craddock, 40, had been employed as an engineer with the city's public utilities department for 15 years.

According to AP news agency he had served in the military and was described by neighbours as quiet and "rarely smiling".

Virginia Beach Police Chief James Cervera declined to comment on a motive for the shooting.

CNN says DeWayne Craddock is listed on department press releases as a point of contact for information on local road projects.

How did the shooting unfold?
    The attack began shortly after 16:00 (20:00 GMT), at Virginia Beach Municipal Center. The area was put into lockdown by police and employees were evacuated.

I wonder what his motive was.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Last edited by up2trouble; 06-01-2019 at 05:16 PM.

https://nypost.com/2019/06/01/new-de...ayne-craddock/

Here is more

Like many veteran civil engineers, DeWayne Antonio Craddock was a methodical man — no less so as he stalked the three floors of his Virginia Beach workplace, at the city Municipal Center, gunning down each co-worker he saw, one by one.

“As he came upon someone, that’s when he took action,” Virginia Beach Police Chief James Cervera said at a Saturday press conference.

He came prepared, officials said, carrying a security pass to reach deep into the building, and multiple ammo clips to extend the firepower of his two .45-caliber handguns, at least one of which was equipped with a sound suppressor.

Craddock would kill 12 people, all but one a co-worker, injure four others, and then die in a police shootout in this year’s worst mass shooting.

But first, the former National Guardsman, described as a tense, terse, solitary man of routine, made a final trip to the men’s room.

“He was in there brushing his teeth, which he always did after he ate,” fellow engineer Joseph Scott said of running into Craddock five minutes before Friday’s 4 p.m. shooting.

“I said, ‘Hey, how you doing?’ ” Scott, who was about to leave for the day, recalled asking his coworker as they stood side-by-side in the men’s room.

“He said he was doing OK. I asked, ‘Any plans for the weekend?’ And he said, ‘No.’ ”

“Well, have a good day,” Scott told him.

“And he said the same to me.”

Just why Craddock opened fire at the city’s Department of Public Utilities Building 2, part of a sprawling municipal complex, where he held a mid-level engineering job for 15 years, remained a mystery a day after the massacre.

He had not been fired, as some early reports had claimed; he left no explanatory note or online manifesto. In fact, he apparently shunned social media.

He had no criminal record, other than a few traffic violations — and both the firearms he used Friday were legally obtained, officials said.

It’s no wonder that City Manager Dave Hansen called the deadly rampage “a senseless, incomprehensible act of violence.”

Craddock’s department director, Bob Montague, told The Washington Post, “There is no answer to explain an event like this.”

Still, an early picture is emerging of Craddock, who graduated in 1996 from Denbigh HS in Newport News, Va., then joined the Army National Guard, training at Fort Sill, Okla.

He served until 2002 and was assigned to a Norfolk, Va.-based battalion as a cannon-crew member. He next studied civil engineering at Old Dominion University, earning a bachelor’s degree.

After a few shorter-term, private-sector engineering jobs, he started at the Virginia Beach *Department of Public Utilities.

By day, Craddock worked at the department, in a campus of about 30 brick Colonial-style buildings in the rural Princess Anne area.

The campus is also just about 100 to 150 yards from police headquarters.

Craddock and his co-workers labored to keep 35 million gallons a day of clean water flowing to residents and to make sure an equal quantity of sewage and wastewater flowed through the city’s 400 sewer pumping stations to two sewage-treatment plants.

Craddock was regularly listed on city press releases about infrastructure projects and was once quoted in a newspaper article about one of the municipality’s pumping stations.

“The way it works is Norfolk, where the water-treatment facility is located, tells us how much to pump and we pump it to them,” he explained during a tour for the Virginia Beach Chamber of Commerce board in 2015, the Lake Gaston Gazette *reported.

An online r?sum? that appears to be Craddock’s listed him as a project manager for Virginia Beach public schools in 2012.

As for hobbies, he was also listed as a runner in a 5K race in Norfolk and as a guest speaker at a North Virginia Beach Civic League in 2016.

He was a member of his neighborhood-association board and spent a good deal of time at the gym, neighbors told reporters.

But mostly he was a loner, preferring to wave and keep walking when he crossed paths with neighbors.

Motive still a mystery in Virginia Beach shooting
    Several neighbors believed that he had once been married, but that his wife had left him some years ago.

“I would speak to him, and he would speak back, but conversation-wise, I never had a conversation with him,” said one neighbor, Angela Scarborough.

He would keep cameras trained on the two nice cars he kept parked out front of his condo, one of them a Mustang, neighbor Cassetty Howerin, 23, told ABC News.

She never saw a guest come to visit.

“He never really cracked a smile,” she said of Craddock, whom she described as “jacked” from his many hours at the gym.

Significantly, within at least the last three years, he began quietly, but legally, amassing firearms, two of which were recovered at Craddock’s condo.

One of those weapons was a legally obtained .45-caliber pistol, officials said. Authorities were still checking out the fourth weapon.

The shooting was the worst in the US since November 2018, when Ian David Long murdered 12 people at a country western bar and grill in Thousand Oaks, Calif., and then killed himself.

I thought I read elsewhere he was fired. It's unusual he resigned then shot the place up.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

https://patch.com/virginia/across-va...hooting-report

VIRGINIA BEACH, VA -- Two delegates want a probe into the May 31 mass shooting in Virginia Beach as Virginia state lawmakers prepare to consider new gun laws at a special session, according to a report.

WTOP reports that Virginia Beach delegates Cheryl Turpin and Kelly Convirs-Fowler (both D) sent letters to the Virginia Beach City Council, asking them to begin an investigation into the shooting, which claimed the lives of 12 people and launched another nationwide debate on gun control. The gunman died in a confrontation with police.

Gov. Ralph Northam called a special session for July 9 to consider new gun laws in the aftermath of the tragedy.

Turpin and Fowler want the investigation to focus on the "policies, procedures, and events" leading up to the shooting, according to WTOP. In particular, the letter notes that first responders had difficulty getting into the building due to the electronic locks, and there were communication failures.

Read more:
    Virginia Beach Shooting: 12 Dead, Plus Gunman; More Injured
    Gun Control Focus Of VA Legislature Special Session: Northam

The mass shooting is believed to be the worst in the United States so far this year and the worst in Virginia Beach history. Before, Virginia Beach's worst mass shooting happened in 1994, when four people were shot and killed at the Witchduck Inn, according to The Virginian-Pilot.

Police Chief Jim Cervera said the shooter opened fire on workers shortly after 4 p.m. in Building 2, which is next to City Hall and houses the city's public works, planning, public utilities and other departments on 2425 Nimmo Parkway. Officers entered and returned fire, killing the suspect. Cervera said a police officer was among those shot, but was saved by his bulletproof vest, he said.

The gunman reportedly worked for the city's public works department, had access to the building and came in Friday with a weapon, according to Cervera. This weapon was a 0.45 caliber handgun with a suppressor on it, and it had an extended magazine.

"This is a horrific day for the Commonwealth of Virginia," Gov. Ralph Northam said in a statement shortly after the shooting. "My deepest condolences and prayers go to the families of those who left home this morning, and will not return tonight, as well as those who have been injured in this tragedy. This is unspeakable, senseless violence. I commend local and state law enforcement, first responders, medical teams, and all others who acted swiftly to respond to this situation. My thoughts continue to be with the victims and their families."

Northam said he will ask lawmakers to adopt:

Universal background checks for gun buyers
    Ban high-capacity magazines, suppressors, bump stocks and assault weapons
    Limit gun purchases to one per month per person
    Safe storage requirements to limit child access to guns
    Require gun owners to report stolen guns within 24 hours
    Allow local officials to limit weapons in government buildings
    An extreme risk law allowing law enforcement to temporarily remove guns from a person at a heightened risk of violent behavior
    Additional reporting by Patch editors Deb Belt, Feroze Dhanoa, Emily Leayman, Skip Wood, and Elizabeth Janney, as well as the Associated Press

https://www.wavy.com/news/local-news...n-report-says/

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — Nearly two years after a city employee committed mass murder in city building, investigators have closed their investigation without answering the question: why did it all happen?

In a nearly 50-page report released Wednesday, the Virginia Beach Police Department concluded that “despite exhaustive investigative work and in spite of unsubstantiated rumors and accusations, it appears we may never why [the shooter] committed this heinous act.”

It was on May 31, 2019 that public utilities engineer Dwayne Craddock, 40, shot and killed 12 people and seriously hurt four others at Building 2 at the city’s Municipal Center before being killed himself in a gun battle with police.

Since then, the VBPD detectives conducted more than 1,000 contacts and interviews with individuals, analyzed over 10 terabytes of digital evidence and examined 504 pieces of physical evidence with help from the FBI.

No motive
    Still, police don’t have much additional insight into why Craddock may have done what he did. The final summary recaps much of what was revealed nearly a year ago in VBPD’s interim report.

The report — which only names Craddock once, keeping with a pledge made by then-police chief Jim Cervera the night of the shooting — explains that Craddock was described as a “quiet, introverted, and a polite young man.”

“The evidence is clear that the suspect was a very private person who shared little personal information or feelings with coworkers,” the conclusion of the report reads.

Craddock worked nine years with the city and sent a resignation letter to his supervisor the morning of the shooting that simply stated he was resigning due to “personal reasons.”

Less than a year leading up to the shooting, Craddock received an employee evaluation that indicated “he did not meet the expectations of his job requirements.” As a result, he didn’t receive a merit pay raise that year.

As first revealed by the city’s independent investigation team, following that evaluation, Craddock wrote to his supervisor that “he was being placed at a different level of scrutiny than his peers.”

The report said the concern was specifically addressed by his supervisor in 2018 and Craddock was told that he had been making improvements and was given encouragement.

Closer to the shooting, Craddock again had to have interactions with management after a procurement issue arose. Current Police Chief Paul Neudigate said he could not just say Craddock was motivated to kill on account of what happened at work.

“We don’t deal in ‘likely’ and I think that is the problem,” Neudigate said. “We need specific facts and circumstances that guide us towards what is in this individual’s mind. It’s hard for police, it’s hard for anybody to tell you what is in your mind and what spurred your actions.”

Neudigate, who was working in Cincinnati at the time of the tragedy, said he can say with confidence no stone was left unturned to find a concrete “why” behind the shooting.

No manifesto was ever found, and Craddock acted alone.

The only place left to look is on an electronic tablet belonging to Craddock. It’s password protected and remains inaccessible after VBPD, Virginia State Police and the FBI were all unable to gain access.

“Is that the smoking gun, is it on that tablet?” Neudigate asked. “Five years down the road if they develop technology that could get us into that tablet, we are definitely going to resubmit the tablet and get in there because we are as curious as the community is about what is on there.”

Family speaks out
    In a cover letter addressing Jason Nixon, the husband of shooting victim Kate Nixon, City Manager Patrick Duhaney said “while this report details the events of that day, unfortunately, no evidence was found that shed light on the shooter’s motivations.”

Duhaney acknowledged that for Nixon and families of the other victims “this is one of the most difficult findings to accept.” He says “investigators deliberately and methodically processed evidence, conducted interviews, ran tests, and tested theories” in the case.

“I think the report is garbage,” Nixon told 10 On Your Side. “It is the same thing that was back with the PowerPoint presentation. It’s exactly the same PowerPoint presentation.”

Nixon — who has been an outspoken critic of the city following the shooting — said the department should be ashamed that they haven’t found a motive.

Nixon says his wife, Kate, saw a different side of the shooter.

“She talked about him… that he was a psycho. That he had issues. That she didn’t like to be around him,” Nixon said.

Since Kate’s death, Nixon has been active in Richmond successfully lobbying the General Assembly on issues like under the Freedom of Information Act opening criminal investigative files relating to criminal investigations that are not ongoing. That would eventually include the May 31, 2019 mass shooting investigation.

“They should not have that power to tell me what I can see and what I can’t see. They gave me a summary of this,” Nixon said holding up the 36-page report summary Wednesday.

“I want to sit down and see the full report,” he said.

The bill about opening investigative files now awaits Gov. Ralph Northam’s signature.

In the meantime, Nixon says he wants back the possessions he lost to the investigation.

“I want my wife’s belongings back. I want her iPad back, I want my personal property back, they have had it for two years,” he said.

On March 31, Nixon says he will sit down with Virginia Beach Police to ask questions about the investigative summary. He also pointed out there will be a few rules.

“I asked if I could bring an attorney and they said no. I asked who can I bring and they said two family members. I asked if this meeting is going to be recorded, and they said no,” he said.

The report summary released Wednesday also concludes there is no evidence from anyone interviewed that gave an indication the shooter was about to go on a rampage.

“Here is what we want. We want accountability. I want to make sure the Human Resources Department will be held accountable for actions or lack of actions of direct supervisors and that they will be held accountable,” Nixon said.

Nixon says other families feel the same way.

‘You question whether what you are doing is the best thing’: VB public utilities department still healing from mass shooting
    On a personal note, with only memories of a family united, now Nixon — almost two years later — lives in a void that sometimes consumes him.

We asked a simple question: how are you?

“I feel real empty. I feel like there is a void in my life, and I don’t know how to [fill] it,” he said.

Moving Forward
    Duhaney, who also was not living in the city or leading it at the time of the shooting, said he has prioritized helping the healing process.

“Employers nowadays gotta be as vigilant as possible to ensure that if toxic environments identified that we take the right steps to root them out and correct it,” Duhaney said, acknowledging from what he has seen, no widespread toxic environment existed when the shooting occurred.

Still, he has recommended following through with recommendations from independent investigators.

Duhaney is hoping City Council agrees to hire six new employees to help centralize Human Resources in the city.

The Hillard Heintz report stated that the city’s current HR structure requires HR liaisons in certain departments to report to the manager of that department, creating perceived conflicts at times.

Moving forward, each city department would have its own HR coordinator reporting to the main HR department.

There is also funding included to continue counseling services for those most affected.

“I’m committed to putting the tools in place to help us become a better employer,” Duhaney said.

I knew he wasn't white because he wasn't taken out to McDonalds or Burger King after while wearing a bullet-proof vest....

Thread Information