Thread: Andrew "AJ" Freund (5) found Dead in Illinois

Andrew "AJ" Freund (5) found Dead in Illinois

https://www.10news.com/news/national...-boy-aj-freund

A week after two Illinois parents reported their 5-year-old son as missing, Crystal Lake Police and the FBI are expected to hold a news conference at 1 p.m. ET to discuss the case.

Soon after beginning their investigation, police said it was likely the boy, Andrew "AJ" Freund, was neither abducted nor walked away from the family's home in Crystal Lake, outside of Chicago. Instead, the investigation has focused on the home itself.

The search for AJ began last Thursday morning when the boy's father, Andrew Freund Sr., calmly called police and reported him as missing.

"We have a missing child," he said, according to a 911 call released by the Crystal Lake Police Department on Tuesday. "Woke up this morning and he wasn't ... he wasn't."

Freund told a 911 dispatcher that he put AJ to bed in his pajamas last Wednesday night but could not find him in the morning before school.

"I had a doctor appointment this morning and when I got back from the doctor's appointment and I checked in on him to say good morning and he wasn't there," the father told the dispatcher Thursday.

He said he searched all around the house and canvassed the neighborhood but couldn't find him.

The resulting search has included 15 police agencies, drones, and rescue canine units. Sonar teams that searched Crystal Lake found nothing, and the canine teams "only picked up Andrew's 'scent' within the residence, indicating that Andrew had not walked away on foot," the police said.

"(T)here is no indication that would lead police to believe that an abduction had taken place," the department said in a statement.

Crystal Lake Police said JoAnn Cunningham, the boy's mother, "continues to be uncooperative with police."

Child welfare investigations
    Police on Tuesday released 63 pages of reports detailing several police calls to Andrew's home in recent years. In December, for instance, an officer described unlivable conditions in the home with "dog feces and urine" scattered there.

The officer during the visit also reported a suspicious bruise on one of the children, but a child welfare worker was unable to make a determination of abuse, the report said. Someone at the house said it may have been caused by a dog.

Months earlier, a local resident called police to check on the children because the home had been without power for weeks, according to the reports. An officer wrote the two children appeared "healthy and happy" and that child welfare authorities said the lack of electricity did not warrant their investigation.

The Illinois Department of Children and Family Services has "been involved with the family" since AJ's birth, department spokesman Jassen Strokosch told CNN. AJ "was brought into care with us" soon after he was born, when "neglect was indicated on part of the mom," Strokosch said. From 2013 to 2015, the infant was in the care of someone else, he said.

The department was called in twice in 2018 on allegations of neglect in March and of abuse and neglect in December, Strokosch said. The allegations were determined to be unfounded in both instances, he said.

A younger sibling who had been in the home until this week is now living with another family, Strokosch said.

Parents spoke to the media
    The boy's father, Andrew Freund Sr., spoke to TV cameras saying they were extremely worried about their son.

"AJ, please come home," his father said. "We love you very much. You're not in any trouble. We're just worried to death. Please, please come home."

George Kililis, an attorney for Cunningham, told CNN affiliate WLS the boy's mother "doesn't know what happened to AJ, and had nothing to do with the disappearance of AJ. Ms. Cunningham is worried sick. She is devastated."

https://abc7chicago.com/watch-live-c...found/5267883/

Now a Press Conference from the FBI is coming up.

CRYSTAL LAKE, Ill. (WLS) -- The body of missing 5-year-old Crystal Lake boy Andrew "AJ" Freund was found Wednesday, McHenry County Board President Jack D. Franks told the ABC7 I-Team.

A law enforcement official said the body was found in Woodstock. Authorities were seen searching a rural area off Dean Street and 176th Street in Woodstock.

Crystal Lake police and the FBI are expected to give an update at 1 p.m., but the press conference had not begun as of 1:30 p.m.

WATCH LIVE: Investigators set up tent near where body of AJ Freund was found in Woodstock

WATCH: Evidence collected from Crystal Lake home of missing boy

Police have spoken with neighbors in the area to check if they had seen anything suspicious.

"It's still kind of really unbelievable," said neighbor Patrick DeFrancisco. "When it happens to a child, it kind of hits home and it gets you right at the heart."

Police were seen removing items from boy's home in Crystal Lake. The items included a small mattress and a shovel and were brought to the Crystal Lake police station.

Meanwhile, sources told ABC7 the boy's mother was inside police station for several hours. Joann Cunningham's attorney was seen leaving the police station and had no comment. The McHenry County state's attorney was also seen leaving the police station and said new information would be released Wednesday.

Crystal Lake police said that they will be holding a news conference at 1 p.m.. Crystal Lake police and the FBI have been investigating Freund's disappearance since his family said he was last seen last Wednesday night.

On Tuesday, Crystal Lake police said officers have been called to the home 17 times since the child was born five years ago. The Crystal Lake Police Department released reports detailing what they call "unacceptable" living conditions along with alleged drug abuse and concerns the Department of Children and Family Services had for the children's welfare.

DCFS last had contact with the family in December of last year.

Police also released the family's first 911 call that sent local, state and federal authorities on a massive search for AJ Freund.

911 Dispatcher: "And when was the last time you'd seen him?"
    Andrew Freund Sr.: "Last night. Uh, probably about 9:30, when he went to bed."
    911 Dispatcher: "Do you know where he might have went?"
    Andrew Freund Sr.: "No. Um, we've canvassed the neighborhood. I went to the local park. Um, local gas station down here where we sometimes take him to buy treats."

"I spoke with the assistant principal over at the school and where the park is and they haven't seen him or any other child," Freund added. "I have no idea where he would be."

Anyone with information about the child's location is asked to contact the Crystal Lake Police Department at 815-356-3620. In addition, anyone with a cell phone can send an anonymous tip to the Crystal Lake Police Department by texting the word CLPDTIP along with the tip information to 847411 (tip411).

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2019/04...rew-freund-sr/

An Update

CHICAGO (CBS) — At a bond hearing on murder charges Thursday morning, prosecutors said A.J. Freund’s parents killed and buried the 5-year-old boy three days before they reported him missing. According to prosecutors, Andrew Freund Sr. and JoAnn Cunningham forced their son to stand in a cold shower for an extended period of time, and repeatedly beat him.

A.J.’s body was found Wednesday morning, wrapped in plastic, and buried in a shallow grave near Woodstock, about 7 miles from his family’s home in Crystal Lake.

His parents, 36-year-old JoAnn Cunningham and 60-year-old Andrew Freund Sr., have been charged with his murder. They had told police they put him to bed on the night of April 17, and found him gone the next morning, but according to court documents, they killed him on April 15.

Both parents appeared separately in court for bond hearings, represented by public defenders. Cunningham, who is seven months pregnant, was dressed in an orange jail jumpsuit and appeared to be fighting back tears as the judge read the charges against her. Freund Sr. appeared calm as he faced the judge minutes later.

According to court documents, both parents forced A.J. to stay in a cold shower “for an extended period of time” and struck him repeatedly on his body on April 15, and then A.J.’s father buried the boy’s body later that day.

Cunningham also faces aggravated battery charges for allegedly beating A.J. on March 4, causing “great bodily harm.”

An official cause of death has not yet been determined, but A.J.’s autopsy was scheduled for Thursday.

A judge set both parents’ bond at $5 million, meaning they would have to pay 10 percent of that amount and a $28 sheriff’s fee to be released from custody. If they post bail, they would be placed on electronic monitoring, would be prohibited from having any contact with each other or anyone under age 17, must surrender any firearms, and would have to submit to random drug tests.

Cunningham has been charged with five counts of murder, four counts of aggravated battery, two counts of aggravated domestic battery, and one count of failure to report a missing child or child death.

Freund Sr. has been charged with five counts of murder, two counts of aggravated battery, one count of aggravated domestic battery, two counts of concealing a homicide, and one count of failure to report a missing child or child death.

George Kililis, an attorney who had been representing Cunningham during the investigation, said he will no longer represent her in any way moving forward.

Crystal Lake police said A.J.’s parents provided information Wednesday morning that led to the discovery of his body wrapped in plastic in a shallow grave on private property near Woodstock, about seven miles from their home.

“To A.J.’s family, it is my hope that you may have some solace knowing that A.J. is no longer suffering, and his killers have been brought to justice,” Crystal Lake Police Chief James Black said Wednesday. “To A.J., we know you’re at peace playing in heaven’s playground, and are happy you no longer have to suffer.”

Following several days of searching, investigators removed several pieces of evidence from the home Wednesday morning, including a shovel and a mattress. Animal control officers also removed the family’s dog from the home.

The family has a lengthy history with the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services, after A.J. was born with opiates in his system in 2013. DCFS placed A.J. in foster care in 2013 when he was about a month old, but returned him to his parents about 18 months later. Two later complaints to DCFS about abuse and neglect were deemed unfounded.

The couple’s 3-year-old son was removed from the home after A.J. went missing, and has been placed with another family under a DCFS safety plan. Cunningham had gone to court to regain custody of A.J.’s younger brother before she was charged.

Police also visited the home 10 times over the past five years, often noting the poor condition of the home. According to police reports, officers found the family living without power seven months ago, and then in December found the house was filled with dog feces, urine, and clutter; and with broken flooring and windows.

Explore the timeline of his disappearance and follow developments in the case here.

This one hit pretty close to home for me having a four year old son myself and this basically being in my backyard. I cried at the end of the news conference and than hugged my son hard and close for the rest of the day.

This poor child endured so much pain and torture during his short 5 years. DCFS failed this child so hard. Almost as hard as his parents failed him.

I feel for the Crystal Lake officers, as they attempted in the past to save this child, I couldnt imagine what it must have felt like to find him the way he was...

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    I don't understand, I. Just. Don't.

He was five. F I V E

At five you trust your parents, because they're the ones who are supposed to be there, no matter what, to do everything from kiss your boo boo's to check for the boogeyman under the bed or in the closet. This kid couldn't. AJ didn't get that choice.

Like so many others here, I'm a dad. No matter what, it's the most important role I'll ever have. No matter what I do that pays the bills, once they were born, I realized that it was no longer about "me".

Unfortunately, there isn't one of these parents on here that we read about, like AJ's, who never learned that hugely important fucking lesson.

And I hope they get everything they deserve in prison.

It's Parenting 101. Simple shit, but if you don't grasp the lesson, you are bound to fuck things up significantly as the children age.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Some of my cousins actually helped in the search for this kid. Seeing the interviews with the parents on the news talking about him being missing was disgusting.
    Gooble goble gooble goble one of us one of us. t(-_-)t

https://patch.com/illinois/crystalla...nninghams-baby

An Update on the AJ Freund Murder.

CRYSTAL LAKE, IL — A 36-year-old Crystal Lake woman accused of killing her son is due to have her fourth child any day, but what will happen to the baby isn't clear. JoAnn Cunningham, who is at least eight-months pregnant, is in custody at the McHenry County Jail on $5 million bail after she and Andrew Freund Sr., 60, were accused of murdering their 5-year-old son, AJ Freund, on April 15.

Cunningham was seven-months pregnant when she was arrested and has been receiving maternal care while housed in administrative segregation at the jail, Sandra Rogers, a spokeswoman for the McHenry County Sheriff's Office, told Patch in an email response last month. She has been receiving medical care while at the jail and, if need be, "will be transported to the hospital," Rogers said.

"After the baby is delivered, DCFS will determine what is to be done," Rogers wrote in an email.

DCFS does not start to determine the placement of an unborn child until that child is born, Jassen Strokosch, director of communication for the Illinois Department of Children and Family Services, also told Patch in an email. Where that child is placed will not be public information.

In a situation where a baby is born and his or her birth parents are both in custody, DCFS typically takes protective custody of that child, Strokosch said. Within 48 hours of that time, a judge will decide who will take temporary custody of the newborn.

"From there, the long-term plan related to the newborn is determined through a number of decision made in the courts," according to Strockosch. "There are a number of variables that make it difficult to say exactly how and at what pace it will proceed."

Some of those factors include the family's structure, age of the child or special needs of the child, he said.

"Where a child is placed is always made in the best interest of each individual child," Strockosh said.

The baby will be Cunningham's fourth child. Her oldest child was placed with a relative when he was 12 years old.

Court Records Show History Of Neglect, Drugs For Freund's Parents
    AJ, her second child, spent the first months of his life in foster care after he was born with opioids in his system. The Youth Service Bureau of Illinois was assigned to provide services to Cunningham and Freund Sr. while AJ remained in foster care with a relative for the next 18 months. He was returned to his parent's care in June 2015.

'Maybe Mommy Didn't Mean to Hurt Me': DCFS Reports Released
    AJ Freund was killed on April 15 and his body was found about a week later in a shallow grave near Woodstock, Illinois, authorities have said.

Meanwhile, custodial rights to Cunningham's third child, AJ's younger brother, are yet to be determined. The boy has been "doing wonderfully," Jeanne A. Barrett, the court-appointed guardian, said in a hearing Thursday. She would not share anymore information on the boy's current living situation, according to the Northwest Herald.

Hearing On Parental Rights For AJ's Brother Postponed
    Andrew Freund and Cunningham are next expected in court June 24 for a hearing regarding the parental rights of the younger brother. They are due in court on the criminal charges June 18.

https://www.nwherald.com/2019/06/03/...of-aj/a8172q3/

A Harvard woman has spearheaded the organization of two silent protests aimed at keeping the story of slain 5-year-old Crystal Lake boy AJ Freund in at the forefront of the community's mind.

The first demonstration will take place from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. outside the Woodstock Department of Child and Family Services building, 113 Newell St., Woodstock. The second demonstration is planned to begin at 8 a.m. and last until 11 a.m. on June 18 outside the McHenry County Courthouse, 2200 N. Seminary Ave., Woodstock.

AJ's parents, JoAnn Cunningham and Andrew Freund Sr. also have court appearances scheduled for that morning. They both remained at the County Jail Monday afternoon on first-degree murder charges tied to the boy's death.

The "peaceful protests" are a way for the events' creator, Tracy Kolzman, and other residents to apply pressure to officials who have power to change DCFS investigative procedures. Thy demonstrations will also act as a plead to the judicial system to hold AJ's parents, accountable for their son's alleged murder, she said.

"The point of it is to just keep it in the public eye," Kolzman said.

Last week, DCFS investigator and McHenry County Board Member Carlos Acosta spoke personally about a Dec. 18 situation in which he was called to question AJ and his mother about a bruise on the boy's hip. After repeatedly telling police Acosta, and an ER doctor that he got the bruise when his dog jumped on him, AJ eventually told the doctor in private that his mother might have hit him with a belt.

Acosta and his supervisor, whose name has not been released, deemed the report of possible environmental neglect unsubstantiated and closed the case. DCFS was not contacted again in reference to AJ until Freund reported his son missing on April 18.

Although Kolzman doesn't entirely blame DCFS for "overlooking" what she called possible evidence of abuse, she wants more details about how the agency conducts its investigations, she said.

"I guess I want them to admit and be accountable and he didn't do that," Kolzman said.

https://www.dailyherald.com/news/201...y-test-results

This is going to get more insane for the younger siblings of AJ Freund. One there is a report of an unborn child connected to JoAnn Cunningham at play and the fate on where the other kids are going to be at.

Court proceedings to terminate the parental rights to the younger brother of slain 5-year old AJ Freund of Crystal Lake have been postponed while authorities await the results of a paternity test.

Neither the boy's mother, JoAnn Cunningham, 36, nor father, Andrew Freund, 60, appeared in court Thursday for a brief hearing on the matter.

The Crystal Lake couple are being held in the McHenry County jail on $5 million bail while awaiting trial on murder charges in AJ's killing.

Testimony in court Thursday indicated paternity testing is pending to determine if Andrew Freund truly is the younger boy's father.

"He's doing wonderfully," court-appointed guardian Jeanne A. Barrett said of the boy Thursday.

She declined to elaborate or provide details about his living situation.

"A huge concern in this case is his privacy," she said.

State authorities were ordered by June 23 to produce the paternity results and other reports regarding the younger brother. A court date on those matters was set for June 24.

Authorities are seeking to terminate Freund and Cunningham's parental rights to the younger child. Cunningham was seeking to regain custody of the boy before she and Andrew Freund were arrested in AJ's slaying.

AJ was reporting missing by his parents April 18, but police later said the boy had been killed three days earlier, wrapped in plastic and buried in a shallow grave in a field near Woodstock. His remains were recovered April 24.

The parents each face multiple charges of first-degree murder, aggravated battery, domestic battery and failure to report a missing child or child death. Andrew Freund faces an additional charge of concealment of a death. The next court date for each on the criminal charges is June 18.

https://wgntv.com/2019/06/24/dcfs-in...laints-report/

WOODSTOCK, Ill. — The DCFS investigator, who handled the A.J. Frend case, has a history of workplace complaints.

The parents of AJ Frend are charged with the 5-year-old boy's murder. The case brought attention to DCFS for missing possible warning signs.

According to the Chicago Tribune, 53-year-old Carlos Acosta was assigned to investigate AJ's family after AJ suffered a large bruise on his hip.

In January, Acosta determined that an abuse allegation was unfounded and returned the boy to his home.

The Tribune reports that around the same time, Acosta failed to follow a court order when a judge ordered him to refer another case to support services. He was suspended one day for that.

Acosta is currently serving on the McHenry County Board.

Neither he, nor DCFS, has commented.

https://abc7chicago.com/andrew-freun...on-aj/5403436/

WOODSTOCK, Ill. (WLS) -- Andrew Freund Sr. has been deemed mentally fit to stand trial for the death of his 5-year-old son, A.J. Freund, The Daily Herald reports.

Freund was found mentally competent by a psychological examiner, the Herald reports.

Andrew Freund Sr. was charged with five counts of first-degree murder, two counts of aggravated battery, one count of aggravated domestic battery, two counts of concealment of a homicidal death, and one count of failure to report a missing or child death. A.J.'s mother, Joann Cunningham, was charged with five counts of first-degree murder, four counts of aggravated battery, two counts of aggravated domestic battery, and one count of failure to report a missing or child death.

WATCH: AJ Freund's body found 6 days after he was reported missing

The parents of 5-year-old Crystal Lake boy Andrew "AJ" Freund, whose body was found Wednesday, were charged in his murder.

A.J. Freund was found in a shallow grave, wrapped in plastic six days after he was reported missing last April, police said.

Last May, Joann Cunningham gave birth to a baby girl in jail. The baby is being held in protective custody.

SEE INSIDE: Photos from AJ Freund's home show filthy conditions

SEE INSIDE: Photos show dilapidated and filthy conditions inside the Crystal Lake home in 2013, before and around the birth of AJ Freund.

These potato-brained "parents" can fuck-off and die asap

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Another example of how worthless CPS is. Why are they getting paid to not do their jobs?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

I hear you, Boston. While catching up on this thread, I was reminded of my experience being a foster Mom. I adopted one of my sons from foster care. He was the Bio Mom's first baby. Like a lot of parents who's children come into care, she was really unprepared emotionally, financially, well in all ways. I dont think she was ever physical with him. I do know he was very under weight 7 lbs at 8 weeks old and lived between two pieces of card board under a bridge for his first two months. He ended up being ours. Almost one year to the day later, she has another baby with the same man that let her and my son live under a bridge thinking it was a good idea. This time she hid her baby with different people so DCFS couldn't find her. She was without a "steady parent" for the first five years before a women who got her accidentally when a drug addict friend decided to quit caring for her, finally stepped up and took legal guardianship of her. She has suffered but now has a chance. A year and a half later comes baby number three that she had with a professional violent felon. This little one has had a horrible life. When the father got out of prison he would beat both his Mom and him. Were talking baby, toddler age. Apparently he was a foster child due to his father beating him. Guess who has custody of this little guy. Right, the grandfather who is a known child beater in the same county he lost his own kids too. My sons Mom has had another child with this Man. Baby #4. I pray they are ok. She has gone off radar. I suppose to keep from being found and losing another child and maybe even preventing more physical abuse to her and her new child. Reading this made me think of how in this case just like my sons siblings case, it was the middle child that seemed to get the absolute shaft. It was the middle child whose death has spared the younger ones. After realizing the first two were never in a livable situation with these parents, DCSF gives the third to a known child abuser. Only now when DCSF is called about this boy from their neighbors they claim the allegations were unfounded. The system is completely screwed up. I think about my sons siblings all the time. I wish there was something I could do. I reached out to them about getting the boys together to play and get to know one another their reply was "they are not family, they have different fathers, we want to get on with our life." The way I experienced DCSF is poor Mom's definately loose parental rights. That is regardless of whether they abuse their kids or not. I've seen drug addicted parents pee negative three lousy weeks in a row after years of addiction and get their kids back immediately with no further visits even if they are suppose to. With my sons brother we saw an ex-felon convicted of child abuse get custody of an innocent little grand child, really he already hurt his own children. I dont care if it was 20 years ago.. I go out now and fear I will hear another story about this boy. I'm always fearful something will happen to him. I'm just a Mom who gives 100%. I'm not always perfect. My and my husband felt like we won the lottery when we were able to adopt him. We were so lucky. I never thought my son was lucky he has us which we hear all the time from people until just now when I see how the order of your birth or a glitch in your development, or the wrong DCSF worker can absolutely change the trajectory of your life.

https://abc7chicago.com/aj-freund-mu...gham/13771244/

The bench trial for two former DCFS caseworkers charged in connection with the murder of a 5-year-old boy in McHenry County continued on Tuesday.

A.J. Freund's tortured life was cut short more than four years ago, when his mother, JoAnn Cunningham, beat him to death and his father, Andrew Freund, tried to cover it up.

McHenry County prosecutors maintain Department of Children and Family Services case workers should have stepped in months earlier and could've saved his life.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Finally holding CPS accountable for this kind of bullshit.
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    I just can't follow these Kambing posts. We need a TLDR on them for my brain to process.

Thread Information