Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Serenity Dennard (9) missing in subzero temps

Pennington County Sheriff Kevin Thom says multiple dog teams picked up a cadaver scent in the area surrounding the Black Hills Children's Home during the search for Serenity Dennard.

Since the end of March, about 40 dog teams, each trained to pick up the scent of a deceased human, searched through the area surrounding the Children's Home in Rockerville.

"They can tell you it's cadaver scent, I mean these are dogs that are certified and trained from a number of different states. Dogs that we used for other recoveries in South Dakota so they're known dog teams to us and very credible," says Thom.

Knowing there is a cadaver in the area means search teams can focus their search, but the scent doesn't mean they found Serenity just yet. For the dogs the scent of any deceased human is the same so there is a possibility that the dogs aren't alerting on the missing nine-year-old.

"Obviously that would complicate it if we found a body that we didn't know was out there. That would complicate the issue, but we would still continue searching for Serenity as well," he says.

If it is Serenity, there is still the issue of finding her. A scent can be carried by the wind and other weather factors affect how well a dog team can do on any given day.

The search area, which encompasses a mile and a half radius around the Children's Home, is marked as teams continue to work.

As each section is searched routes taken by searchers are mapped out with red lines, but the rough terrain and varying weather conditions make it difficult to move faster.

"People think you should be able to just walk in and find her if she is in the woods and it's not quite that simple," says Thom. "The terrain is very rough, she's a small child, she could be in a very small area so it just takes a very systematic process and the other question is, again, if she is in the woods, how far did she go?"

Thom also says that the timeline of when Serenity was last seen is a tight window. The two people who saw her were in the parking lot of the home when she ran toward South Rockerville Road. Three to five minutes after reporting this to staff at the Children's Home they drove back down South Rockerville Road but did not see her again.
    https://www.kotatv.com/content/news/...GbcPi8ilwgWmog
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Since it was snowy, wouldn't it technically be a yeti?
    Only if she somehow managed to somehow find her way to the Himalayas.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumaki15 View Post
    Only if she somehow managed to somehow find her way to the Himalayas.
    #KnowYourCryptozoology

Better add something useful now that I'm bumping her thread

https://www.argusleader.com/story/ne...rd/3646356002/

Cadaver dogs detect scent in search for Serenity Dennard
    MAKENZIE L HUBER | SIOUX FALLS ARGUS LEADER
    Updated 4:48 a.m. AEST May 3, 2019

Search continues for missing girl in Black Hills
    Serenity Dennard, 9, has been missing since Feb. 3.
    MICHAEL KLINSKI, MKLINSKI@ARGUSLEADER.COM

During searches for Serenity Dennard over the past three months, K-9 units picked up a cadaver scent within a mile of the Black Hills Children's Home, where Dennard went missing nearly three months ago. Authorities are still searching the area for Dennard.

Dogs trained to recognize the difference between life scent and cadaver scent have picked up the latter on searches in the area since her disappearance, said Pennington County Sheriff Kevin Thom. Even though Thom is confident in the dogs' skill, it doesn't guarantee that it's Dennard's body.

"We wouldn't know if that's a scent from Serenity or from some unknown cadaver," Thom said. "There's no guarantee on any of this. K-9's aren't infallible and grid searches aren't infallible."

Dennard ran away from the Children's Home on Feb. 3 and has not been seen since. The sheriff's office has led multiple searches for Dennard. The search turned into a recovery effort a few days after her disappearance. The sheriff's office said Dennard would likely not have survived several nights outside in sub-zero temperatures.

The cadaver scent can travel over one or two miles, Thom said. Its strength it can easily be impacted by factors such as wind, temperature and weather. That means teams are still searching a wide area of terrain for Dennard.

"Right now we've been doing smaller and targeted searches," Thom said. "Some people think we should be out there with 200 or so people looking for her. Logistically that gets problematic. It's easier to work with K-9 teams and then do a more systematic search."

Teams are tracking miles of searched terrain around the Children's Home with GPS units to make sure all areas are covered. Almost 85 agencies have been involved in the search, five aircrafts have been used and almost 55 K-9 teams have searched for her, said Helene Duhamel, spokesperson for the sheriff's office

Authorities continue to search for Dennard and investigate her case, Thom said. More than six search warrants have been served, 375 interviews or contacts established and 115 leads followed, Duhamel said.

Dennard was last seen on South Rockerville Road near the Black Hills Children?s Home at around 11 a.m., Sunday, Feb. 3.

Authorities ask for anyone with information contact the Pennington County Sheriff's Office at (605)-394-6115.

I'm just going to hope that the woodcutting couple the staff members spoke to were good people, & after the conversation they realised she was running from the home, so they headed in the same direction they saw her go, picked her up & helped her.

I know it's unlikely, but at this stage it's probably the only chance of a good outcome

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    #KnowYourCryptozoology
    Better add something useful now that I'm bumping her thread

https://www.argusleader.com/story/ne...rd/3646356002/
    I'm just going to hope that the woodcutting couple the staff members spoke to were good people, & after the conversation they realised she was running from the home, so they headed in the same direction they saw her go, picked her up & helped her.

I know it's unlikely, but at this stage it's probably the only chance of a good outcome
    This. It's also possible tho unlikely that she coordinated with someone from her birth family and they "rescued" her. Rumor has it that there was some contact there and some thought that peeps wanted her out of the home.

Now that's all rumors and gossip and wishful thinking, but all of the other possibilities are grim.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Where they don't have maps.......such as..
    Wait.....there?s brownies in the forest?
    Quote Originally Posted by blighted star
    I was about to be annoyed that this thread was still active, but I see now it's morphed into offers of sex for chilli confectionary, so carry on guys :)

Quote Originally Posted by SuchAClassicGirl View Post
    Only if her name was Gretal.

Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    This. It's also possible tho unlikely that she coordinated with someone from her birth family and they "rescued" her. Rumor has it that there was some contact there and some thought that peeps wanted her out of the home.

Now that's all rumors and gossip and wishful thinking, but all of the other possibilities are grim.

I really hope her birth family smuggled her away then

Quote Originally Posted by SuchAClassicGirl View Post
    Which kind of brownies? The eating kind, or the myth kind, or the Girl Guide kind?

Thread Information