Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Kelsey Berreth (29) missing from Woodland Park, CO since 11/22/18

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/nurse-miss...opstories.html

A nurse from Twin Falls, Idaho, is expected to plead guilty to at least one charge in connection to the case of missing Colorado mother and flight instructor Kelsey Berreth, ABC News has learned.

Krystal Lee, 32, is scheduled to appear in a Colorado courtroom this week to enter a plea deal with prosecutors, according to two of Lee's relatives who spoke anonymously because the deal hasn't been publicly announced. Family members said Lee has been cooperating with investigators, who have been looking into allegations Lee may have disposed of evidence.

It's not yet clear what charge or charges Lee is expected to plead guilty to, or whether she'd face jail time. Attempts to reach Lee's attorney have been unsuccessful.

https://www.kmov.com/news/nurse-who-...d9cc17c43.html

Nurse who pleaded guilty in missing Colorado mom case feared for her life, friend says

Stein, of Twin Falls, Idaho, told CBS News correspondent Nikki Battiste that Lee had confided in her about her role in covering up Berreth's death.

Lee has known Frazee for 15 years, and the two previously dated. But Stein says it was only recently that Lee discovered Frazee had been engaged to another woman (Berreth), and that the pair had a child together.

When asked if she thought Frazee is a murderer, Stein replied, "Yes. I do. I think he's a very dangerous person."

Battiste asked, "Has Krystal ever said that she's been fearful of him at any point?"

"Yes."

"What did she say?"

"She did tell me that she has never seen that kind of evil in anybody," said Stein.

Berreth, a 29-year-old pilot, vanished on Thanksgiving Day in Colorado, and was last seen in a surveillance video shopping with the one-year-old daughter she and Frazee shared. Investigators say three days later, Berreth's cell phone pinged nearly 600 miles away in Gooding, Idaho, about an hour from Lee's home. Two text messages were sent: one to Berreth's employer, saying she would be away for a week, and another to Frazee.

On Friday, in a court plea, Lee admitted she dumped Berreth's cell phone just two days after Berreth's death. "I had no right or authority to move the victim's cell phone," she said.

Lee also claimed she knew Frazee had already killed Berreth.

Stein believes Lee has "very, very good reasoning for whatever it is she may or may not have done."

"What was the reasoning?" asked Battiste.

"I can't really comment completely, but fear, and legitimate fear."

"That if she didn't comply with Patrick, he might kill her?"

"Yes, that's what I believe," Stein replied.

She says Lee and Frazee, a blacksmith, met after high school at a ranch and bonded over horses. She would not comment on whether the two had a sexual relationship.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/motive-mis...ry?id=61113633

Missing Colorado mom Kelsey Berreth’s parents —- who are suing Patrick Frazee for the wrongful death of their daughter —- allege in new court documents that Frazee murdered his fianc?e because she refused to give him full custody of their one-year-old daughter Kaylee.

“Upon information and belief, Frazee had motive to kill Kelsey in that he wanted full custody of [Kaylee Berreth] and/or Kelsey to leave [Kaylee Berreth] with him and Kelsey would not agree,” the parents' attorney, Angela Jones, wrote in an amended civil complaint filed Friday in federal court on behalf of plaintiffs Cheryl and Darrell Berreth.
    On December 2, the plaintiffs claim, Cheryl Berreth called Frazee and asked him if everything was “okay”.

Frazee allegedly told Cheryl that he and Kelsey had broken up on Thanksgiving Day and agreed to split custody of their daughter. That same day, Kelsey left Kaylee with Frazee while she “figured out what she was going to do”," according to the phone call documented in the amended complaint.

According to the documents, Frazee told Cheryl Berreth that he met Kelsey on Thanksgiving at a Cracker Barrel restaurant in Colorado Springs.

“We are fully cooperating with the authorities on their investigation at this time,” Cracker Barrel spokeswoman Breeanna Straessle told ABC News late Friday night.

Kelsey also allegedly asked Frazee "for her things back, so he gave Kelsey her keys and her gun," according to the complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    How the fuck do these people think these plans are actually going to work? Ad what the fuck is the thought process?

"Well, I want full custody. Hmm. Should I try the legal way? Nah, that never works. Should I not be a selfish prick and not share custody? No, I'm way better than having to share anything. I got it! I'll commit the worst crime imaginable, obviously no one is going to suspect anything unseemly happened to the mother of my child, and then the court will HAVE to give me sole custody. Sure, they may figure it out that I am who committed the crime and could destroy alot of others peoples lives in the process, but fuck it. I deserve that kid who I love so much that I am going to take away their mother and essentially make it an orphan."

Fuuuuuck.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/20/us/co...zee/index.html

The suspect allegedly killed Berreth by wrapping a sweater around her head and bashing her with the bat. He later burned her body in a water trough, according to testimony at a preliminary hearing in Cripple Creek, west of Colorado Springs.
    He asked Kenney to come and clean up the blood in the victim's home after the attack, and she brought with her a box of latex gloves, a white suit, booties, bleach, two trash bags and a hair net. Frazee even asked her to look for a tooth near a vent, Slater said.
    "You don't know how hard it is to have Thanksgiving dinner after killing her," Kenney recalled Frazee telling her, according to Slater.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/colorado-...g-moms-remains

Colorado police plan to search a landfill for the remains of a woman whose fiance is charged with murdering the mother of his 1-year-old child.

The search of the landfill in Fountain is scheduled to begin Tuesday. The Woodland Park Police cautioned in a written statement that it could take weeks or even months to complete their search for Kelsey Berreth's remains and other evidence.

It was not clear on Friday what led police to search the site, which is about 40 miles from Berreth's home.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/police-end...ry?id=62479085

Investigators from Woodland Park, Colorado, have ended their months-long search of a landfill for the body of missing mom Kelsey Berreth, police said.

No remains and no evidence relating to Berreth's death were found at the Midway Landfill, where police had been scouring for clues since Feb. 25, said Woodland Park police chief Miles DeYoung in a news release.

"This is not the outcome that we hoped for," the chief said Wednesday, "but we knew going into this search that there was a chance we would not locate Kelsey or evidence related to her disappearance."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/14/us/co...ent/index.html

A potential tooth fragment will be tested for DNA evidence in the case of a Colorado man accused of beating to death the mother of his child with a baseball bat, a prosecutor said Friday.

Patrick Frazee, 32, faces murder and other charges in connection with the disappearance of his fianc?e, Kelsey Berreth. She went missing last Thanksgiving Day near Woodland Park, a city between Denver and Colorado Springs. Authorities have said they believe Frazee killed the 29-year-old but her body has not been found.

A state court judge ruled Friday that the "possible tooth fragment," which was "located in the search of the defendant's property," will undergo a consumptive DNA test, prosecutor Jennifer Viehman told reporters outside the court house in Cripple Creek.

Consumptive testing relates to evidence that would be consumed or destroyed in the testing process, Viehman said.

The judge agreed with the prosecution that the testing can move forward according to the policies of the Colorado Bureau of Investigation lab without changes that had been proposed by defense attorneys. An expert for the defense will observe the testing.

Defense lawyers declined comment after the hearing.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/patrick...erreth-begins/

Jury selection is set to begin today in the murder trial of the man accused of killing Colorado mother Kelsey Berreth. The 29-year-old woman was last seen in a grocery store with her baby on Thanksgiving Day last year. Her body was never found. Berreth's fianc?, Patrick Frazee, is charged with her murder.

At the center of this trial is Krystal Lee, a nurse who was allegedly having an affair with Frazee. She claims she cleaned up the murder crime scene because she wanted to please Frazee – and because she feared him.

As prosecutors prepare their star witness for the trial against Frazee, legal experts say it may not be a slam-dunk case.

"This case really does live or die on Krystal Lee," University of Colorado law professor Aya Gruber told correspondent Nikki Battiste. "There's no body and there's no murder weapon."

Lee, an Idaho nurse, was allegedly Frazee's secret girlfriend. She told authorities Frazee tried to get her to kill Berreth three different times – once with a poisoned Starbucks drink.

Lee said, in the end, it was Frazee who murdered the mother of his child at Berreth's home on Thanksgiving Day by beating her with a baseball bat. But male DNA found at the crime scene does not match Frazee.

Battiste asked Gruber, "How would you describe the physical evidence in this case so far?"

"I would describe the physical evidence that I know of to be pretty weak," Gruber replied.

At trial, Frazee's defense may point the finger at Lee, suggesting she's fabricated parts of her story before. "They will absolutely paint Krystal Lee as a liar," Gruber said, "and in fact there is evidence that initially she did lie to investigators. She said that she had no idea who Patrick Frazee or Kelsey Berreth were."

After Berreth's disappearance, investigators say her cellphone pinged 800 miles from her home in Woodland Park, Colorado, near Gooding, Idaho. That's where investigators found Lee, who eventually admitted to destroying Berreth's phone, and also getting rid of Berreth's keys and a gun, all to help Frazee cover his tracks.

In an interview for "48 Hours," Laura Stutzman, who lives in Lee's Idaho community and has known her since she was a teenager, asked, "Why? Krystal had it all. She had it all. There's no sentence imposed by a judge that can actually be more harsh than what her community will put on Krystal."

In exchange for her testimony, Lee agreed to plead guilty to evidence tampering. She faces a maximum of three years in prison, but if her story falls apart, her deal is off the table.

Frazee has entered a not guilty plea, and faces life in prison if convicted.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/patrick-f...kelsey-berreth

The mistress of Patrick Frazee — the Colorado man accused of murdering his fianc?e, Kelsey Berreth, with a baseball bat and burning her body last year — testified Wednesday that the woman's last words before she was bludgeoned to death were "please stop."

Krystal Kenney, a nurse from Idaho who is the key witness in Frazee's murder trial, said at the courthouse in Teller County that the 33-year-old man, of Florissant, manipulated her, and explained how she ultimately helped clean up the mess made after Berreth died last Thanksgiving.

https://www.9news.com/article/news/i...8-8c1f999792d7

A man who has known the suspect accused in the murder of Woodland Park mom Kelsey Berreth said it was difficult to take the witness stand during his trial.

“Just don’t wanna … picture somebody that you’ve known that long and have trusted … you just don’t wanna think that they could do something like this,” said Joseph Moore, who ran cattle with Patrick Frazee at multiple leased ranches in Teller and Park counties.

Frazee is now standing trial for first-degree murder, solicitation to commit first-degree murder, and tampering with a deceased human body.

Moore said he knew Frazee since he was in middle school, when he rode horses and participated in the 4-H Club with his kids. Over the years, Frazee became his farrier and the two would drive together to take care of their cattle at various ranches in the land surrounding his home in Florissant.

Frazee’s one-time fiancee and the mother of his child, Kelsey Berreth, was reported missing on Dec. 2, 2018. In the days afterward, Moore said he remembered driving with Frazee to one of his leased ranches and discussing the national media attention surrounding her disappearance.

“He’s like ‘I don’t even understand why, why there’s such a big deal over this,’” Moore recounted, adding that he said he thought it was because the media tended to focus on missing beautiful, white women. “And he’s like ‘man, if I had known it was going to blow up this big, I never would have …’”

Moore said he never asked his friend to finish his sentence or say what he meant. Frazee was arrested for Berreth’s murder on Dec. 21, 2018.

Moore, who testified for the prosecution, said this wasn’t the first time Frazee had made comments that he found disturbing. In April 2016, Moore said he was loading bulls into a truck with Frazee when he asked her how his relationship was going with Berreth, with whom he had a young child.

“‘He said ‘I figured out a way to kill her,’” Moore said. “And I went ‘don’t even talk about s*** like that. Get that s*** out of your head.

“And he just kinda grinned and went ‘no body, no crime, right?’ And I said ‘Patrick, get that out of your head.’”

https://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...kill-witnesses

Ex-inmate says Frazee asked him to kill witnesses, including Kenney

An inmate who was in the same jail as Patrick Frazee testified Friday that the accused murderer of Kelsey Berreth asked him to kill multiple witnesses in the case, including Krystal Kenney, the woman accused of helping him carry out Berreth's killing.

On Friday, prosecutors also showed 17 different letters that a witness, who's a former inmate, said he exchanged with Frazee, who was in the same jail. The man is on probabtion now. In their passed notes, Frazee asked the man to kill witnesses — Kenney, Michelle Stein (Kenney’s friend in Idaho), John Moore (Frazee's friend who previously testified), Wendi Clark (Moore’s significant other) and lead Colorado Bureau of Investigation agent Gregg Slater — and described where they live now and what they look like. In a testimony, Slater confirmed the descriptions of each person and their places of residences were all accurate.

In one letter, Frazee allegedly wrote he’d “really like to see Kenney with a bullet in her head.”

Friday was already expected to be a big day in court, as closing arguments were possible. The prosecution rested its case shortly after lunch, and Frazee's attorneys did not call any witnesses.

Fourth Judicial District Judge Scott Sells decided to push closing arguments to Monday. But before court broke for the weekend, Sells ruled that the jury could also consider second-degree murder or manslaughter in the case if they decided to not convict Frazee of first-degree murder. Second-degree murder carries a prison sentence of eight to 24 years and manslaughter carries two to six years.

GUILTY!

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...anc-e-n1084856

Patrick Frazee was found guilty of first-degree murder in the death of his fianc?e, Kelsey Berreth, who was last seen near her Colorado home with their daughter last Thanksgiving.

The jury of six men and six women deliberated for less than four hours before reaching a verdict.

Frazee, 33, was found guilty on all charges: two counts of murder, three counts of solicitation to commit murder and tampering with a deceased human body. He had denied killing Berreth, 29, and pleaded not guilty. The jury trial began Nov. 1.

In closing arguments, prosecutors argued that Frazee had been planning Berreth's death for months, while the defense called evidence presented during trial "circumstantial" and "made up."

Berreth was last seen publicly on Thanksgiving Day. Surveillance video shows her shopping with Kaylee, the couple's 1-year-old daughter, at a Safeway grocery store in her hometown of Woodland Park on Nov. 22, 2018.

Frazee, who did not live with Berreth, has said he last saw her that day and last heard from her on Nov. 25, but she was not reported missing until Dec. 2 by her mother. Berreth's body has not been found.

Berreth's mother, Cheryl Berreth, spoke to the court prior to sentencing to request Frazee get the maximum sentence and the removal of his parental rights, as the family intends to Kaylee.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...anc-e-n1084856

A judge sentenced Frazee to life without parole for first-degree murder plus an additional 156 years.

Beth Reid, one of the prosecutors on the case, said after the verdict that she never witnessed Frazee express anything other than the emotionless state he exhibited in court.

"I think based on my observations of Patrick Frazee over the last year, that there’s a potential that Patrick Frazee indicates and is consistent with a sociopath," Reid said. "And that’s a person who has basically an inability to feel empathy with other people."

Thread Information