This is an old case, it happened in 2002 & most people have probably seen it on an episode of "Fatal Attractions". I stumbled on it again because ABC Australia ran an article today on "Australia's top 10 deadliest animals" (1 & 2 turned out to be horses & cows).

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-...erous/10534786

One of the categories was "Snakes (& lizards)" - which made me ask "who the fuck gets killed by lizards unless they're attacked by komodo dragons"? So of course I went on a "killed by lizards" search to find out, which was when I remembered Ronald Huff.

Anyway, then I discovered that I'd somehow missed the sketch his friend/neighbor did of the lizard death scene

That sketch alone was worthy of a thread

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/593293...bite-infected/

DEATH BY LIZARD Ronald Huff who was eaten by his pet monitor lizards ?was killed by the 6ft creatures when a BITE became infected?

Ronald Huff, 42, had his face, hands and stomach organs devoured by seven 6ft-long Nile monitor lizards he let roam free in his flat, in one of the most bizarre incidents of its kind.

By Corey Charlton
29th March 2018, 4:28 pm
Updated: 29th March 2018, 4:28 pm

A MAN eaten by his pet monitor lizards was also KILLED by the creatures because he succumbed to a blood infection caused by their bites, it is claimed.

Ronald Huff, 42, had his face, hands and stomach organs devoured by seven 6ft-long Nile monitor lizards he let roam free in his flat.

Ronald Huff, 42, cuddles one of his pet monitor lizards, which then ate him

The huge reptiles - flesh-eating, venomous and endemic to Africa - were found by cops covered in their owner's blood and were hissing aggressively at the officers.

To date Ronald's 2002 death remains one of the most terrifying and bizarre instances of a human being eaten by their pets.

Neighbour Jeff Wildonger, now aged 38, told The Sun Online: "If he didn't have those lizards there he'd be alive today, there's no doubt."

Ronald's body was found by cops propped up against the front door of the apartment with the enormous lizards feasting on his corpse.

It later emerged the lizards had been allowed to roam freely throughout his home

Jeff added: "He was bitten a week or so - or two weeks - before he died. He came down with a staph infection, and I'm guessing his temperature was through the roof.

"He kept his apartment at like 80 degrees, so the closest place he could have cooled down was against that door where he expired."

Jeff said he had spent some time inside Ronald's apartment, which was filled with free-roaming reptiles.

"He raised Madagascar hissing cockroaches, big cockroaches, two or three inches long. He would feed them to the lizards.

The former soldier's face was eaten by seven of the 6ft-long monsters

Ronald's pal Jeff Wildonger drew this sketch of the scene the night after he saw the half-eaten corpse of his neighbour

"He would just throw them on the ground and the lizards would chase after them. He'd also throw raw chicken on the ground. It was like going to the zoo."

Jeff also described seeing Ronald's body inside the apartment after cops failed to cover him up when they secured the scene.

He said: "You were able to stand 15ft from the door so the corpse was in sight. It was horrific.

"The blood had just all turned black, it looked like fake blood. His cheeks had been eaten off and his molars were where his ears should be.

"They had eaten his face, eaten his hands, they actually had eaten into his abdomen and eaten some of the internal organs."

Unfortunately, Jeff's claims that the lizards indirectly killed Ronald can never be proved as his post-mortem was ruled inconclusive.

Ronald's former boss Mike also claimed the huge creatures had attacked Ronald in the past

Nile monitor lizards feast on small creatures, such as mice and rats, in the wild. Those in captivity are usually fed raw chicken.

Although they have become popular in the US as an exotic pet, they are considered dangerous due to their sharp teeth and the bacteria in their mouths.

This bacteria is not necessarily fatal to humans - but it can affect blood pressure and acts as a knockout punch on smaller creatures.

The then-SPCA director John Caldwell said the creatures were later placed in zoos or euthanized as one was acting aggressively, "going toward you, mouth open".

HOW BLOOD INFECTIONS CAN BE FATAL
Sepsis, or blood poisoning, is always triggered by an infection.Most often the culprit is an infection we all recognise - pneumonia, urinary infections (UTIs), skin infections including cellulitis and infections in the stomach, appendicitis for example.Typically, when a person suffers a minor cut, the area surround the wound will become red, swollen and warm to touch.This is evidence the body's immune system has kicked into action, releasing white blood cells to the site of the injury to kill off the bacteria causing the infection.The white blood cells and platelets form blood clots in the tissues around the cut.Blood vessels swell to allow more blood to flow, and they become leaky, allowing infection-fighting cells to get out of the blood and into the tissues where they are needed.When sepsis happens, this system goes into overdrive and can eventually lead to organ failure.

Obviously this isn't an Australian case so my quest to find out why lizard deaths were included in a list of Australia's top 10 deadliest animals continues ...

Also, this clip from the Fatal Attractions episodet has a few interviews with people who knew him