Thread: Lermond Stowers-Jones - 20 November 2018 - waiting for ME results

Lermond Stowers-Jones - 20 November 2018 - waiting for ME results

1818985 Denton Stowers-Jones Lermont 1/10/2001 17 11/20/2018 F Black M
    Police Department: Texas Parks and WildLife Police Svc #: 18-0308871
    Deceased Address: 1518 Broadway , Denton, Texas 76201 Time Of Death 1:12 PM
    Occurred Location: 3800 Old Alton Road , Denton, Texas 76210
    Place Of Death: Adjacent to a pedestrian bridge that is over Hickory Creek Prosector: Susan Roe, M.D.
    Place Of Death Address: 3800 Old Alton Road , Denton, Texas Manner Of Death: PENDING
    Cause Of Death: PENDING
    EDR #: 2413741

https://www.facebook.com/lermond.stowersjones?ref=br_rs

Manner Of Death: ACCIDENT
    Cause Of Death: DROWNING (CREEK)

Wonder what happened...?

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

https://www.dentonrc.com/news/nothin...ab1626d84.html

Law enforcement authorities have not ruled out anything in their investigation into the death of Denton High School senior Lermont Stowers-Jones, the Denton Record-Chronicle has learned.

Investigators with the Denton County Sheriff’s Office have been assigned to look into the circumstances of Stowers-Jones’ death. A source inside the sheriff’s office said this response is routine when a person in good health dies unexpectedly in a public area and does not necessarily mean authorities have discovered clues that lead them to believe his death resulted from foul play.

But it does underscore that authorities in Denton County are working to answer questions surrounding the teen’s death, which has captured the Denton community’s attention.
    It was first reported just after 11 a.m. Nov. 19 that Stowers-Jones jumped into Hickory Creek from Old Alton Bridge. Rescuers found him submerged about 6 feet below the surface on Nov. 20.

The initial report from rescue authorities saying Stowers-Jones jumped from the bridge raised red flags with his family and people who knew him growing up. Although Stowers-Jones knew how to swim, his parents said this past weekend they never knew their son to be the type to go exploring outdoors or jump from an old bridge. And Lermon Jones, his father, said he dropped Stowers-Jones off at the Denton County Courts Building on McKinney Street about the same time the first 911 call was made on Nov. 19.

The family’s consternation was amplified when it was reported at least one person fled the scene when Stowers-Jones did not resurface after allegedly jumping.

A state game warden said they interviewed one witness at the scene who said they knew Stowers-Jones from school.

A family member said Stowers-Jones’ parents are aware authorities are investigating their son’s death.
    Law enforcement authorities in Denton County, including the sheriff’s office and state game wardens, have questioned other people as part of the investigation, but the source said they did not want to say anything definitive about the direction of the inquiry until it is complete to avoid muddling the public’s understanding of the case.

Authorities and family members alike are awaiting the results of the Tarrant County Medical Examiner’s office autopsy results.

A spokeswoman for the medical examiner’s office said the coroner is waiting for a toxicology report to conclude its autopsy report. It could take as long as two months before the coroner makes a conclusion.

So if they know he jumped in willingly, what's the confusion?

I am guessing they were trying to figure out if he did it intentionally to end his life, or he jumped for fun and ended up drowning? The ME did rule accident, so....

yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    I am guessing they were trying to figure out if he did it intentionally to end his life, or he jumped for fun and ended up drowning? The ME did rule accident, so....
    Ohh. I gotcha. The toxicology would help with that too. I probably should've figured that out myself, but sometimes I'm dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumaki15 View Post
    Ohh. I gotcha. The toxicology would help with that too. I probably should've figured that out myself, but sometimes I'm dumb.
    Yeah, we know

Just kidding.

Yeah, we know

Just kidding.

Why you gotta come at me like, I thought we were friends?

Why you gotta come at me like, I thought we were friends?
    Aw, Ju, you know I have nothing but love for ya!

Aw, Ju, you know I have nothing but love for ya!
    Yeah yeah....

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    Get a room already.

And I have no idea why he would jump in willinglly, but then again I can't remember if it was cold or not that day. It's a nice area, old ass bridge, scenic, but I have no idea why someone would jump in the water.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by kevansvault View Post
    Get a room already.

And I have no idea why he would jump in willinglly, but then again I can't remember if it was cold or not that day. It's a nice area, old ass bridge, scenic, but I have no idea why someone would jump in the water.
    He's like, 16

Quote Originally Posted by kevansvault View Post
    Get a room already.

He's like, 16
    I'm literally more than twice that.

I'm literally more than twice that.
    Why'd you get rid of your Senior picture avatar? We all think it's adorable that you're a teenager.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Why'd you get rid of your Senior picture avatar? We all think it's adorable that you're a teenager.
    Senior picture avatar?

Senior picture avatar?
    Your old pic that made you look like you were barely old enough to be in High school.

Is today really your birthday? If so, happy birthday! (although you're barely more than twice the age Nic said you were. )

Happy 17th birthday Juju!!

Okay, I am done teasing. As you can see I have nothing better to do...ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Your old pic that made you look like you were barely old enough to be in High school.

Is today really your birthday? If so, happy birthday! (although you're barely more than twice the age Nic said you were. )
    Someones got jokes! lol and yes, today is my birthday. Being told happy birthday on a thread about a missing person might be my favorite one ever

Happy 17th birthday Juju!!

Okay, I am done teasing. As you can see I have nothing better to do...ha ha.

Missed this article when it was first published

https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/...ances-11992063

'I Want Answers': In Denton, a Virtual Event Celebrates the Life of Late Teen
    SIMONE CARTER MARCH 5, 2021 4:00AM

Lermont Stowers-Jones' body was found in a Denton County creek in 2018. Courtesy Katie Reese

Before his mysterious death, 17-year-old Lermont Stowers-Jones was a talented musician who was active in his church. A good son and good friend, he was looking forward to starting college.

But in November 2018, the Black teen’s lifeless body was discovered in Denton County’s Hickory Creek.

Authorities quickly ruled his death an accidental drowning. Yet his family believes that something far more sinister could be at work: The teen had received numerous threats in the weeks leading up to his death.

More than two years later, Lermon Jones still doesn't know what happened to his son. Many others suspect foul play, and supporters nationwide have pitched in so the family can fund an independent investigation.

On Sunday, a virtual remembrance and fundraising event, “Below the Surface,” will celebrate Lermont’s life and feature local musicians and an online art auction.

“This has been the hardest thing I have ever went through in my life, and I’m still going through it,” Jones told the Observer. “No parent should ever have to go through this. None.”

Lermont’s death came before last summer’s Black Lives Matter protests, which surged nationwide after Minneapolis police killed George Floyd. Now, the Denton teen’s family hopes renewed attention will pressure authorities to reopen his case, which Jones believes was riddled with inconsistencies.

When Jones drove up the day his son’s body was found, he said the scene hadn’t been roped off and hikers were allowed to roam free. Officers didn’t seem concerned that several teenagers had fled the scene after Lermont supposedly jumped into the creek from Old Alton Bridge. No one with the sheriff’s department ever tried to interview the family.

The autopsy report also claimed Lermont had been found in white boxer shorts, according to Living Blue in Texas. His mother, though, repeatedly argued he didn’t own any.

The Denton County Sheriff’s Department did not return the Observer’s requests for comment.

Lermont was a light in the world with a bright future ahead, said Angela James, a family advocate and Jones’ cousin. The teen wore his heart on his sleeve; he was trusting and a bit naive, which James believes may have ultimately led to his death.

“The events leading up to the loss of his life is not a coincidence, and that was threats, that was fights, that was people following him,” she said. “That had something to do with it, definitely.”

More people need to hear his story, James added.

“We know George Floyd is a common name,” James said. “I want the world to know Lermont Stowers-Jones and to understand that, you know, justice and the police, they have to be fair and they have to be accountable.”

“I want answers. I want to know what happened to my son." – Lermon Jones

Few publications wrote about Lermont’s death, and those that did consistently criminalized him, said local activist and community advocate Jessica Luther Rummel. The Denton Record-Chronicle mentioned that the autopsy reported trace amounts of marijuana in Lermont’s system, which Rummel said wasn't not germane to his case and cast Lermont as a criminal.

The local press failed Lermont when it “regurgitated” press releases from the authorities instead of questioning gross discrepancies, Luther Rummel said.

“Just kind of these typical ways of dismissing the death of a Black body, you know?” she said.

If Lermont had been white, and the teen witnesses had been Black, the entire town would have been "on fire," Luther Rummel said.

Old Alton Bridge, where Lermont’s body was found, carries its own mythos. Nicknamed “Goatman’s Bridge” by Denton natives, legend says the Ku Klux Klan lynched a successful Black goat farmer there in the 1930s. Local high schoolers often trek there at night, the adventurous among them telling ghost stories and attempting to summon Goatman’s spirit.

Lermont’s discovery at that spot makes his death all the more suspect, Luther Rummel said, and authorities never conducted a thorough investigation. But it wasn’t just a failure of the sheriff’s department: In the weeks leading up to Lermont’s death, he’d endured daily racial harassment and death threats, all of which had been reported to Denton police and Denton High School.

One student had even been expelled for threatening to bring a gun to school to shoot Lermont, Luther Rummel added.

“There are so many levels of failure here,” Luther Rummel said. “So when we talk about disappointment, what we’re talking about are these systemic natures of racism: The way that Black lives just aren’t prioritized in our communities. And Mont’s death is a prime example of it.”

Jones said the ordeal has taken a toll on the family; his other children’s grades have dropped dramatically. After Lermont's death, Jones began noticing the sheriff’s department would park their vehicles across the street from his home, which he took as a threat. Since then, the family has had to move and install security systems and cameras because they’re so afraid, he said.

Authorities have fought the family every step of the way, Jones said. After multiple requests and two years passing, they still haven’t returned Lermont’s cell phone and clothing to the family.

Jones said he’s looking forward to Sunday’s event and hopes it will help to revive Lermont’s case and bring the family closure.

“I want answers. I want to know what happened to my son,” Jones said. “I don’t know. I have no clue.”

To learn more about Lermont’s case and to watch the virtual event, visit www.justiceformont.com.

Thread Information