Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Karishma Dhanak (20) was found burnt to death on a hiking trail

Re: Karishma Dhanak (20) was found burnt to death on a hiking trail

it cant be the ex, they're just hassling him cuz he has a record
    <br />Kitty loves MDS.

He does look kind of creepy and a little fruity, but that's just me. I feel sorry for the mother and daughter. The mother was beaten and is going to be scarred for the rest of her life, while also having to deal with the loss of her daughter and husband. So sad.

RIP Karishma &amp; father.

This article is on the front page of OCRegister.com:

Iftekhar Murtaza and Shayona Dhanak

Love story and tragedy
    Acquaintances of Murtaza, Dhanak describe affair reminiscent of 'Romeo and Juliet.'

By TONY SAAVEDRA, KIMBERLY EDDS and GWENDOLYN DRISCOLL
    The Orange County Register
    Iftekhar Murtaza fancied himself a bit of the rebel, a gym rat with red and black tribal tattoos on buff shoulders.

In photos posted online, he struck a &quot;gangsta&quot; pose ?€“ muscles rippling outside a sleeveless T-shirt.

But those who know him considered Murtaza more of a &quot;wanksta,&quot; a harmless wannabe gangster who used punctuation marks to make smiley faces online.

Now some are not sure what to believe.

Murtaza ?€“ who had never been to court as an adult for anything more serious than a speeding ticket ?€“ appeared before an Arizona judge Thursday as a &quot;person of interest&quot; in the slaying of his on-again-off-again girlfriend's father and sister in Orange County. His former girlfriend's mother also was beaten and left outside the family's Anaheim Hills home.

The homicide victims ?€“ Jayprakesh and Karishma Dhanak ?€“ were beaten with baseball bats, stabbed and set ablaze on a hiking trail in Irvine, two minutes from the UCI dorm where Murtaza's ex-girlfriend, Shayona, lived, police and court records say.

Although authorities were not describing the 22-year-old as a suspect Thursday, they also weren't letting him out of jail. Murtaza was carrying a plane ticket to Bangladesh when federal marshals arrested him last weekend at a Phoenix airport.

(I heard on the radio that it was a one-way ticket.)

A portrait emerged Thursday from close friends, school records and Murtaza's Friendster page of a man whose deep feelings belied his bad boy facade.
    Hours after the murders, Murtaza planned to pick up longtime friend and another close friend from Westwood and drive to the Santa Ana hospital where Shayona Dhanak's mother lay unconscious. He and Dhanak had broken up a few weeks before ?€“ as they had many times in their three-year relationship ?€“ but Murtaza didn't think twice about rushing to her, AV said.

&quot;He wanted to be with Shayona, for her,&quot; said AV, a psychology major at UCLA. &quot;He just loved her so much.&quot; But the trip was called off. Police weren't letting anyone into the hospital room. Shayona Dhanak was under police protection.

On his Web page, Murtaza described himself as &quot;someone who knows how to have fun but takes life seriously when it's needed.&quot;

At 6-foot-1, 171 pounds, Murtaza, a Leo, urged readers on his site to let the kid inside them &quot;come out and play.&quot;

A former student of John F. Kennedy High in Granada Hills and Albert Einstein Continuation School in North Hills, Murtaza took a few junior college classes ending in 2005. He was a smart guy, friends said, who managed to make a good living without a formal education, paying for a glitzy Hollywood Hills apartment and a Range Rover. But his lack of enthusiasm for education concerned his girlfriend's parents.

Over the years, Murtaza shared the highs and lows of his love life in dozens of e-mails to Richa Singh, a Tucson woman he met about five years ago in Los Angeles.

His once-joyful missives turned heartsick as he became convinced that the Dhanak familiy was sabotaging his relationship with Shayona, 18.

&quot;He felt kind of hopeless with the whole situation,&quot; said Singh, 23. &quot;He told me he wanted to talk to the family and reassure them. He felt the whole family was ganged up on him.&quot;

Religion was part of the problem, court records said. The Dhanaks are Hindu, Murtaza is Muslim. Pressured by her family, Shayona broke off the relationship over and over again ?€“ but always managed to find her way back to Murtaza ?€“ and he would always take her back, AV said.
    &quot;Oh, my God, she is so mad at me,&quot; Singh remembers Murtaza e-mailing her during one of his spats with Shayona. But he never threatened any violence, friends said.

&quot;Most Hindu families will give in after a while if they see the person really loves them,&quot; AV said. &quot;He understood that with time that would happen. Everything with Shayona happened with time.&quot;

Shayona last split with Murtaza about a month ago, friends said, but no one expected it to last long.

&quot;I could see the pain in his eyes,&quot; AV said. &quot;But he was still smiling. He knew they would get back together.&quot;

Singh said Murtaza met Shayona at a party about three years ago and was instantly enamored.

&quot;I met this girl. She is awesome,&quot; Murtaza e-mailed Singh.

But Dhanak knew her family would not approve of the tattooed Muslim man, AV said ?€“ and resisted his advances ?€“ for a while. He gave her a ring ?€“ rented a helicopter ?€“ and worshiped the ground she walked on. He overheard phone calls Dhanak had with her mother, disapproving of the relationship, but still he told friends he wanted to marry Dhanak ?€“ and that he planned to talk to her parents about it.

That's why friends they have a hard time seeing him as a killer, especially one capable of the ferocity shown in the Dhanak attack.

&quot;He never said anything bad about her family,&quot; AV said. &quot;He respected them. For him, it was all about love.&quot;

Indeed, Murtaza challenged people on his Web site to become his friends.

&quot;Anyone who wants to meet me, I wanna meet you, and anyone who I wanna meet, you should definitely want to meet me, too.&quot;

Contact the writer: Register staff writers Denisse Salazar, Sonya Smith and Sarah Tully contributed to this report.

Related: Family defends man held in double murder

Iftekhar Murtaza, whose former girlfriend's father and sister were murdered, was arrested in Phoenix Tuesday.

TRIBUTE: Photos of the Dhanaks sit amid withered floral bouquets near a bike path in Irvine.

INVESTIGATION CONTINUES: Wednesday morning, nine days after the burned bodies of Karishma Dhanak, 20, and Jayprakash Dhanak, 56, were found next to an Irvine bike path, the ruins of their Anaheim Hills home is fenced off as a crime scene.

REMEMBERING: As news of a suspect being arrested in the killings of Karishma Dhanak, 20, and Jayprakash Dhanak, 56, came out Wednesday morning, a photo of Karishma is placed outside their fire-destroyed home in Anaheim Hills.

[quote author=angela link=topic=7658.msg391598#msg391598 date=1180724318]

At 6-foot-1, 171 pounds, Murtaza, a Leo, urged readers on his site to let the kid inside them &quot;come out and play.&quot;

[/quote]

Thank god for that piece of info.

[quote author=moosella link=topic=7658.msg391602#msg391602 date=1180724526]
    Thank god for that piece of info.
    [/quote]

LOL.&nbsp; I thought the same thing.&nbsp; Watch out people, I'm a Leo too!&nbsp; :|

never ever trust a leo with a baseball bat!&nbsp; all joking aside, thanks for that news article, it really cleared up some questions i had.&nbsp; what a bastard.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar

[quote author=MAVEN link=topic=7658.msg391618#msg391618 date=1180725408]
    never ever trust a leo with a baseball bat!&nbsp; all joking aside, thanks for that news article, it really cleared up some questions i had.&nbsp; what a bastard.
    [/quote]Considering how biased, bullshit or just outright hateful some articles have been lately,
    this was well written and informative in comparison!
    Hell, it actually was pretty good, thanks Ang.

I can't believe the way people can bicker over this religion bullshit.
    Indian Muslims and Indian Hindus can't even get along!The great divide is who's imaginary friend is better.
    Yea, that's worth fighting over.
    If they're fighting like that, what hope do any of us have? :eatabullet:

On another note....... (holy shit she was beautiful!)
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

[quote author=jesserz44 link=topic=7658.msg388820#msg388820 date=1180631871]
    Careful Ron, she's a biter. :lol:&nbsp;
    [/quote]

&nbsp; &nbsp;

The one way ticket seems to be the only evidence they have against him.

He better have some alibis...

When it comes to murder cases they seem to always look at the victim's partner... in this case it's the victim's sister's partner......

crazy.. well the mom will&nbsp; know if he was involved.. unless he had other people do this , but it just seems odd to want to hurt the family you're trying to get you to except you.

humans...&nbsp; when it comes to love and religion anything can happen.
    [quote author=Olivia link=topic=7606.msg1221694#msg1221694 date=1237710360]<br /> She is in the death queue.<br />[/quote]<br />You got me all wrong.

RON:Can you guys all agree on one imaginary friend to worship so us sane people can deal with real issues?&nbsp; Praying
    Just a thought. kthxbai.&nbsp;

Ron, there IS one to worship - the FSM. RAmen.
    All but Death, can be Adjusted—<br />Dynasties repaired—<br />Systems—settled in their Sockets—<br />Citadels—dissolved—<br /><br />Wastes of Lives—resown with Colors<br />By Succeeding Springs—<br />Death—unto itself—Exception—<br />Is exempt from Change—<br />*Dickinson*

[quote author=vaga link=topic=7658.msg391767#msg391767 date=1180731452]
    The one way ticket seems to be the only evidence they have against him.

He better have some alibis...

When it comes to murder cases they seem to always look at the victim's partner... in this case it's the victim's sister's partner......

crazy.. well the mom will&nbsp; know if he was involved.. unless he had other people do this , but it just seems odd to want to hurt the family you're trying to get you to except you.

humans...&nbsp; when it comes to love and religion anything can happen.
    [/quote]
    Or it could have gotten to the point of &quot;fuck that bitch and her crazy family too! I'm tired of all their shit!
    I can't be what she wants me to be, or what they want me to be! So now they burn!!!&quot;&nbsp; :|

(Hey, don't look at me, I'm trying to get into an alleged killer's head here)

There was a time, when if a person was found dead, and homicide was suspected....the family members were the LAST people you looked at.
    But back in those days a simple point at someone with dark skin and an exclamation of &quot;I think it was him&quot; was enough for a conviction.
    Now, if a child turns up dead, the parents get looked at. A woman dead? Look at the boyfriend/husband...etc., etc.

[quote author=ASH link=topic=7658.msg391771#msg391771 date=1180731570]
    RON:Can you guys all agree on one imaginary friend to worship so us sane people can deal with real issues?&nbsp; Praying
    Just a thought. kthxbai.&nbsp;

Ron, there IS one to worship - the FSM. RAmen.
    [/quote] Huh?

A partial quote:

[quote author=angela link=topic=7658.msg391598#msg391598 date=1180724318]
    This article is on the front page of OCRegister.com:

A portrait emerged Thursday from close friends, school records and Murtaza's Friendster page of a man whose deep feelings belied his bad boy facade.
    Hours after the murders, Murtaza planned to pick up longtime friendand another close friend from Westwood and drive to the Santa Ana hospital where Shayona Dhanak's mother lay unconscious. He and Dhanak had broken up a few weeks before ?€“ as they had many times in their three-year relationship ?€“ but Murtaza didn't think twice about rushing to her, V said.

[/quote]

For what it's worth, this friend has a public myspace.&nbsp; http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...friendID=26994

Didn't see anything about this case on there, but maybe someone else could do a little more digging.&nbsp;

RIP Karishma and father.&nbsp; I hope they find out who did this to you so justice can be served.

A one way ticket out of the country is pretty incriminating.&nbsp; He must be involved...somehow.&nbsp; Maybe he paid someone to do it.

By the way-his mugshot is terrifying.&nbsp; He looks nothing like he does in the picture with his ex.

[quote author=Ron_NYC link=topic=7658.msg391630#msg391630 date=1180726131]
    Considering how biased, bullshit or just outright hateful some articles have been lately,
    this was well written and informative in comparison!
    Hell, it actually was pretty good, thanks Ang.

I can't believe the way people can bicker over this religion bullshit.
    Indian Muslims and Indian Hindus can't even get along!The great divide is who's imaginary friend is better.
    Yea, that's worth fighting over.
    If they're fighting like that, what hope do any of us have? :eatabullet:

On another note....... (holy shit she was beautiful!)

[/quote]

Ron I am confused... That's Shayona in the pic, the sister who actually dated him.&nbsp; She wasn't killed.&nbsp; She was away at school.&nbsp; Her older sister Karishma is the one who was murdered along with the dad.&nbsp; The article says that Shayona was at the hospital and the boys tried to see her and she was in protective custody there... I'm guessing, with her mom.
    born to be down

You're right, Solara.&nbsp; The sister with the connection to the suspect was unharmed.

I don't think we've posted this link yet.&nbsp; A little insight from a friend of the accused:

http://ktla.trb.com/news/ktla-anahei...ll=ktla-news-2

[quote author=alliekat link=topic=7658.msg396654#msg396654 date=1180976378]
    I don't think we've posted this link yet.&nbsp; A little insight from a friend of the accused:

http://ktla.trb.com/news/ktla-anahei...ll=ktla-news-2
    [/quote]
    Wait.&nbsp; This one is way better- says that the &quot;victim&quot; (must have been the mother) ID'd the ex-boyfriend as one of the attackers, and in his sworn statement to the police, he denied being anywhere near the area the day the crime was committed, but his cell phone records prove otherwise.&nbsp; Guilty or not, he's lying.
    http://news.sulekha.com/newsitemdisp...76669&amp;cat=

ridiculous .. what god thinks it's okay to beat and burn family members of the person you love?&nbsp; :-(
    I knew the mom would have some info, he's unlucky she's still alive!
    [quote author=Olivia link=topic=7606.msg1221694#msg1221694 date=1237710360]<br /> She is in the death queue.<br />[/quote]<br />You got me all wrong.

Hmm.&nbsp; This article says that the ticket to Bangladesh was actually round-trip.&nbsp; Not sure what to make of that...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18975511/

[quote author=Solara23 link=topic=7658.msg396614#msg396614 date=1180973789]

Ron I am confused... That's Shayona in the pic, the sister who actually dated him.&nbsp; She wasn't killed.&nbsp; She was away at school.&nbsp; Her older sister Karishma is the one who was murdered along with the dad.&nbsp; The article says that Shayona was at the hospital and the boys tried to see her and she was in protective custody there... I'm guessing, with her mom.
    [/quote]:oops: Got it mixed up. Well she's still hot .

They charged the boyfriend this week:

[hr]
    Murtaza was initially considered a &quot;person of interest&quot; in the deaths of Jayprakash Dhanak, 56, and his 20-year-old daughter, Karishma. The mother, 53-year-old Leela Dhanak, is expected to recover from the beating.

Court documents filed in Arizona said Murtaza was the ex-boyfriend of the Dhanaks' other daughter, 18-year-old Shayona, who was not at the family home at the time of the attack.

Outside court, district attorney's spokeswoman Susan Schroeder said Murtaza had a motive but declined to elaborate. Friends said Murtaza was upset that her devoutly Hindu family disapproved of their relationship because he was Muslim.

He faces at least life in prison without possibility of parole if convicted. Prosecutors haven't decided whether they will seek the death penalty, Schroeder said.
    [hr]

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070614/ap_on_re_us/family_attacked;_ylt=AkVvx8Y2UmYVT0ZNuzdF0h1bIwgF

I was wondering what would happen with this case.&nbsp; Looks like the boyfriend just may be guilty after all&nbsp; :|

Ooh!&nbsp; Thanks for the update.&nbsp; I wonder if the daughter had anything to do with it, or if he thought he was &quot;saving&quot; her from her &quot;tyrannical&quot; family.&nbsp; I hope not, but it wouldn't surprise me- it's all the rage these days.

The sister's (victim's) myspace has been taken down... that was quick.

and WHAT THE HELL ARE FUCKERS THINKING when they do this sick shit???
    I mean did he go back to his girlfriend and say &quot; Oh geezz.. sorry about your dad and sister being burnt to death, oh yea.... and sorry 'bout your mom, who was beaten and found in your driveway on fire.. OOOooOOh yea and thats a REAL bummer about your house being set on fire and stuff.&nbsp; BUT THE GOOD NEWS IS, we can be together.. wanna grab a coke and celebrate????&quot;

ill be sure to tell my future daughter's boyfriends... HEY, EVEN if you off me... the only one youre gonna spend the rest of your life with is Big Bad Bubba, your cellmate!&quot;

Dummies!

[quote author=CrAzY JaY link=topic=7658.msg418741#msg418741 date=1182174320]
    The sister's (victim's) myspace has been taken down... that was quick.

and WHAT THE HELL ARE FUCKERS THINKING when they do this sick shit???
    I mean did he go back to his girlfriend and say &quot; Oh geezz.. sorry about your dad and sister being burnt to death, oh yea.... and sorry 'bout your mom, who was beaten and found in your driveway on fire.. OOOooOOh yea and thats a REAL bummer about your house being set on fire and stuff.&nbsp; BUT THE GOOD NEWS IS, we can be together.. wanna grab a coke and celebrate????&quot;

ill be sure to tell my future daughter's boyfriends... HEY, EVEN if you off me... the only one youre gonna spend the rest of your life with is Big Bad Bubba, your cellmate!&quot;

Dummies!
    [/quote]

Didn't you mean go to IHOP to celebrate??

[quote author=sarabei link=topic=7658.msg418754#msg418754 date=1182175566]

Didn't you mean go to IHOP to celebrate??
    [/quote]

SHIT, THAT is what i meant!!

Thread Information