Thread: Baby Journey Moon Slowly Died During A Homebirth While A Free Birth FB Group Repeatedly Advised Against Seeking Medical Help

Baby Journey Moon Slowly Died During A Homebirth While A Free Birth FB Group Repeatedly Advised Against Seeking Medical Help

There'll be a lot to read on this if anyone can be bothered doing the legwork. We're weeks behind so the fb groups have already been deleted, but there are still a lot of people discussing what took place & sharing screenshots as proof

I'm going to have to post blogs for some of it, media are starting to cover it but only because they think criticism of the mother is unfair. Unless she has a learning disability I really don't understand that view

http://www.skepticalob.com/2018/10/e...2cKTchhSWqCgOM

The Skeptical OB
    Emilee Saldaya is as ethically responsible for baby Journey Moon?s death as if she had taken out a gun and shot her
    October 23, 2018 | 23 Comments

Emilee Saldaya is as ethically responsible for baby Journey Moon?s death as if she had taken out a gun and shot her

Concept of the death of child, Loss. The family is painted on paper with pencil and the child is erased

Last week, I wrote about the preventable death of a baby at freebirth.

So the surges keep coming every day, but still no baby. Just making me more and more tired and my body ache everywhere. Nothing I could do would ease the pain but I tried so hard to stay positive.

My water broke the evening of the 4th and was discolored. Since I was 42 weeks I thought it was normal. But as the days went by it got more foul smelling and turned a sick poop color which was constantly leaking and the baby stopped moving on the 6th.

I woke on the 7th with so much pain and pouring meconium that Chris and I agreed it was time to transfer.
    Not surprisingly, baby Journey Moon was dead.

Leader of freebirth movement, vowing not to run and hide, immediately runs and hides.

I also wrote about the hallmark of freebirth advocates: emotional immaturity. Freebirthers are monstrously egotistical, reflexively defiant of authority, unwilling to admit mistakes, incapable of accepting responsibility for their own actions and entirely devoid of any empathy for their suffering babies.

In the wake of the outpouring of negative publicity about freebirth and the Facebook group that cheered the mother on to Journey Moon?s death, its creator Emilee Saldaya defiantly vowed:

This is not the time to run, hide and be silenced.
    Whereupon she ran away and hid by shutting down her Facebook group.

It is with a heavy heart that we officially announce the closing of our four wonderful groups here on Facebook. As of November 1st, all members will be removemed and the groups closed permanently.
    Her explanation confirms the egotism of freebirthers, refusal to admit mistakes, inability to accept responsibility for their own actions and shocking lack of empathy for suffering and dead babies.

Saldaya?s attitude toward the death ? shit happens! ? is typical of the fatalism freebirth advocates display when a baby dies.

?[A] member of our private Free Birth Society group tragically lost her baby during her birth process earlier this month. The painful reality is that babies do sometimes die, in all settings, including the hospital, and every pregnant woman must contend with the possibility of death, which exists for each of us.
    This is the equivalent of a mother defending the death of an unrestrained baby who died after being ejected through the windshield during a fender bender by declaring that babies in car seats die, too. That doesn?t make it okay to refuse to put your infant in a car seat.

Moreover, principled people look at an infant death and ask: how can we avoid this happening to another baby? In contrast, freebirth advocates ask: how can we avoid blame?

The bulk Saldaya?s post is a series of reasons why this dead baby is not her fault and how the death has impacted HER.

?I have received hundreds of death threats. Posts and private messages calling for my murder, my jailing, and for my family to be harmed, have come streaming in ? [S]everal unsubstantiated blog articles have gone viral, full of lies, misinformation, slander and defamation.
    There?s no justification for hateful messages but it is par for the course on the internet. I receive them often.

In light of this, we at Free Birth Society are advancing our plan to move off Facebook, to a safe and private membership platform.
    I doubt that; they?ll almost certainly be back on Facebook when the publicity fades or even sooner. They are always anxious to proselytize and you can?t do that when you only communicate with each other.

I am so proud of the community that we have built together. This is not the time to run, hide or be silenced. It is a time to become more steadfast, more powerful and more protected in this radical work of healing the deepest wounds on this earth.
    English to English translation: I will be continuing to charge hundreds of dollars for private freebirth ?coaching? and courses.

I stand and will always stand for women?s reproductive autonomy, our bodily authority, and our freedom to make our own decisions surrounding our health, pregnancies and births.
    Here?s something that?s will blow Emilee?s mind:

I too stand and will always stand for women?s reproductive autonomy. But having the legal right to refuse medical care does not mean that refusing medical care is wise or ethical. It does not justify lying about the risks of childbirth and the high death toll of freebirth.

Emilee Saldaya is as ethically responsible for Journey Moon?s death as if she had taken out a gun and shot her. By counseling her mother DURING labor that medical care was unnecessary, Saldaya provided false reassurance that led the mother to avoid the very care that might have saved her Journey Moon?s life.

That?s not promoting women?s autonomy. It?s denying them the knowledge they need to make the best decisions for themselves and their families. It may not be illegal but it is morally reprehensible.
    Last edited by blighted star; 11-05-2018 at 10:26 PM.

**** NSFL - if you click the link below be aware there's a photo of the baby after death.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/withou...2018/10/13971/

Cause of Death Determined in Free Birth Gone Bad
    OCTOBER 15, 2018 BY KATIE PAULSON
    32 COMMENTS

Last week we reported on the death of an infant related to a free birth in California. The story has gone viral thanks to many of our readers sharing the article on social media. Today we have updates on the infant cause of death. Additionally, we review if criminal charges can be filed in the case.

Yesterday, the mother took to Facebook to update her friends and family about her status. According to the mother, she and her partner continue to grieve the loss of their daughter, Journey Moon. Mother and father have accepted the death of their child.

Despite the glaring facts we outlined in our previous article, the mother continues to take no responsibility for the death of her child. If you need a recap of what she did not to help this child, here is a quick list:

-She had no prenatal care at all during her pregnancy. Providing her no indication if she or the baby were healthy enough for a homebirth.

-She labored for six days at home without any medical assistance

-Her water broke and was discolored with a foul smell

-She worried there was meconium in the discharge

-Her water broke and the baby remained inside her womb for more than 48 hours.

-She felt the baby stop moving on day 6, but instead of going to the hospital she took a nap.

-She only went to the hospital on day 7 when her discharge smelled like poop, and she was afraid SHE was in danger.

After she posted the update to Facebook, people flocked to her page to read. Numerous readers of ours tried to ask questions and get more details from the mother. The mother ignored and deleted most of the comments. However, one of our partners, who is fantastic at soliciting and obtaining information, extracted the details from the mother.

As you can see from the response, the mother admitted the baby died from strep B. We informed our readers in our previous article, the strep b is a common bacteria found in pregnant women. The Mayo Clinic provides details about the infection:

“Group B streptococcus (strep or GBS) is a common bacterium often carried in your intestines or lower genital tract. Group B strep is usually harmless in adults. In newborns, however, it can cause a serious illness known as group B strep disease.”

An infant is at increased risk of developing group B strep disease if:

The mother carries group B strep in her body

-The baby is born prematurely (earlier than 37 weeks)

-The mother’s water breaks 18 hours or more before delivery

-The mother has an infection of the placental tissues and amniotic fluid (chorioamnionitis)

-Group B strep bacteria have been detected in the mother’s urine (bacteriuria) during pregnancy (either her current pregnancy or previous pregnancies)

-The mother’s temperature is greater than 100.4 F (38 C) during labor

-The mother previously delivered an infant with group B strep disease

Complications of Group B Strep for infants can be life threatening. Infants can develop inflammation in the lungs. Babies can develop meningitis from the bacteria. Infections of the blood stream (sepsis) can also occur. Any of these complications can kill the infant.

Because Group B Strep can kill infants, pregnant women in the United States are swabbed for GBS during their pregnancy. Most OBGYN’s will test expectant mothers in their third trimester of pregnancy.

If a mother tests positive for GBS, doctors will take precautions to ensure the mother does not infect their child with the bacteria during labor. Mothers with GBS are given the IV antibiotic penicillin. If mothers are allergic to penicillin, other drugs are effective in treating the disease.

GBS exists in the vaginal flora of the mother. Most mothers that carry GBS will not have any symptoms unless they develop other infections within the body.

In the case of Free Birth Momma, she elected not to have any prenatal care for her child. She went to an appointment at eight weeks gestation, and according to our investigation, she never returned to the doctor.

Because she neglected to seek proper medical treatment for her child, she did not get screened for GBS. Without that critical information, Free Birth Momma decided to give birth at home with no assistance.

The Mayo Clinic recommends all mothers receive antibiotic treatment for GBS within 18 hours of their water breaking. Free Birth Momma’s water broke several days before she sought any assistance for the child.

Instead of seeking help from a hospital, she elected to speak with Emilee Saldaya, the founder of Free Birth Society. According to Emilee’s bio on the Free Birth Society website, she worked as a doula for several years. She gave birth last year to her child in the “wild.”

Emilee does not indicate that she has any medical education or certifications that give her rights to practice medicine. However, she charges members of Free Birth Society “coaching” fees to educate and coach them through their pregnancy, delivery, and postpartum recovery.

Free Birth Momma mentioned in the Free Birth Society Facebook group that she and Emilee spoke numerous times.

Since Emilee may have been serving in a medical role, she failed to assist the mother. Midwives that fail to help mothers seek medical assistance can be held accountable legally and civilly. We uncovered numerous stories of midwives being sentenced to prison for their negligence during deliveries.

Here are some examples:

Utah Midwife Sentenced to Prison in Baby’s Premature Death

When a Home Birth Ends in Tragedy, Can the Midwife Go to Jail?

Not only could Emilee be held responsible for her role in the death of the infant, but the mother could also be in legal trouble. We found a case in Oregon where a woman delivered twins in her home. One of the infants was stillborn, and the other child was born alive. The twins were born prematurely.

The baby that survived the birth was in respiratory distress at birth. Instead of seeking medical help for the child, the parents kept the child at home. Ultimately the child died related to medical issues associated with her prematurity. However, the child would have survived with medical intervention.

Based on the findings from the autopsy, police arrested Travis and Sarah Mitchell for the negligent homicide of their daughter. The parents pleaded guilty to the charge in summer 2018.

Free Birth Momma’s case is slightly different. Her baby never lived outside of her womb. However, she was negligent in seeking medical care for herself and the child during labor. By neglecting prenatal care for her and the baby, she put the infant at risk for death.

Since there are so few homebirth death cases prosecuted, the probability of criminal prosecution of either seems unlikely.

For now, both the mom and the Free Birth Society take no responsibility for the death of the child.

There's SUPER long article here

https://www.thedailybeast.com/she-wa...-attacks-began

The woman running the group should be charged. Apparently any time someone tried to encourage the mum to seek medical advice their comments were immediately deleted & they were kicked out of the group

& this is a response to the super long article, countering the version put forward by the woman who controlled the FB group

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/withou...8pxQhMeOfv0PJw

The mom and the founder of that group should be charged. The founder accepted money for her "medical" services. She absolutely should be charged. Why would you not want to at least get prenatal care for the baby. This baby died because the mom didn't get tested for a routine bacteria that could have been treated. No question she is criminally negligent in my mind.

I cannot believe women in this day and age don't get prenatal care. She could have at least gone to the hospital after her water broke.

That poor baby.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

This is supposed to be Emilee's statement after the death but coming into this so late I have no way of verifying exactly when she uploaded it.

She does verify that she markets "care packages" to women choosing "wild pregnancies" though

Over one hundred years ago, the mortality rate of children was really high, well, a lot higher than it is these days. We've been able to reduce those numbers significantly with science and modern medicine. I don't understand why there is a segment of our population out there that is so opposed to this.
    "A vagabond dreamer, a rhymer and singer of songs
    Singing to no one and nowhere to really belong." - Waylon Jennings

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Over one hundred years ago, the mortality rate of children was really high, well, a lot higher than it is these days. We've been able to reduce those numbers significantly with science and modern medicine. I don't understand why there is a segment of our population out there that is so opposed to this.

Yup. All you have to do is spend a little time doing family history research to see how many families lost babies, children & mothers during or soon after childbirth.

These women won't have any checkups at all, they won't even use home midwife services. It's one thing to take on that risk for yourself, but I dont get how anyone can inflict it on their baby - or their other kids if they have them, because the entire family have their lives altered forever by a loss like this, moreso if they lose their mother as well
    Last edited by blighted star; 11-05-2018 at 10:28 PM.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    I have a client who had both of her babies at home, however she was right on top of prenatal care and saw her doctor religiously. If there had been any complications, she would have DIRECTLY gone to the hospital. Both babies are happy and healthy so I'm not against people opting to do this, just do it the right way. When people don't seek help during complications, it screams drug use to me. Not wanting to be detected at the hospital for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Meh, I think it's just one step removed from the anti-vaxxers. All these people giving medical advice on social media. Ok, fine, but if something happens then they should be held accountable. Then there's the crazies that think essential oils can cure cancer.

I was going to respond to this post earlier, but I erased what I wrote.
    I'm sad to say, but I think it's good that the baby passed away.
    If the baby had survived, she'd had to have 24/7 care.
    My sperm donor used to take care of a child who had a mental handicap (wheelchair bound), because his mother waited 48 hours before she went to the hospital after her water broke.
    Right now, I'm terrified that I won't know the signs that I'm going into labor i.e. water breaking, because this baby of mine thinks it's fun to kick my bladder (causing me to pee) while I'm sleeping and making me think my water broke.
    Apparently, there's not a huge gush of water that flows out when your water breaks. It can be a trickle.
    I'm afraid I'll wait too long and hurt my baby.
    My doctor wants me to be induced this Monday which I'm against, because right now, there is no medical reason for it.
    My baby is not in distress and I'm not for making him come before he wants to.
    If I knew my baby was having an emergency, I'll do whatever is necessary to make sure he's born healthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    I was going to respond to this post earlier, but I erased what I wrote.
    I'm sad to say, but I think it's good that the baby passed away.
    If the baby had survived, she'd had to have 24/7 care.
    My sperm donor used to take care of a child who had a mental handicap (wheelchair bound), because his mother waited 48 hours before she went to the hospital after her water broke.
    Right now, I'm terrified that I won't know the signs that I'm going into labor i.e. water breaking, because this baby of mine thinks it's fun to kick my bladder (causing me to pee) while I'm sleeping and making me think my water broke.
    Apparently, there's not a huge gush of water that flows out when your water breaks. It can be a trickle.
    I'm afraid I'll wait too long and hurt my baby.
    My doctor wants me to be induced this Monday which I'm against, because right now, there is no medical reason for it.
    My baby is not in distress and I'm not for making him come before he wants to.
    If I knew my baby was having an emergency, I'll do whatever is necessary to make sure he's born healthy.
    How far along are you?

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    How far along are you?
    This Monday will be 39 weeks.
    For some reason, my doctor likes to induce at 39 weeks.
    I don't know if it's because I have gestational diabetes.
    He says if I wait past my due date, my baby could have a prolapsed cord, poop in the water, get too big, etc.
    Right now, my baby is measuring a week behind and he's in the 40th percentile for size (whatever that means).
    He's expected to be 7.8-.10 ounces at birth.

We originally wanted to have the baby on February 29th (leap year), but my doctor will be having nose surgery therefore if we want him to deliver our son, we'll have to do an induction before or after the surgery.
    I really hope my son comes on his own.

Also, back to the article, I think this "mom" is hippy dippy enough that she would be an anti-vaxxer.

Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    This Monday will be 39 weeks.
    For some reason, my doctor likes to induce at 39 weeks.
    I don't know if it's because I have gestational diabetes.
    He says if I wait past my due date, my baby could have a prolapsed cord, poop in the water, get too big, etc.
    Right now, my baby is measuring a week behind and he's in the 40th percentile for size (whatever that means).
    He's expected to be 7.8-.10 ounces at birth.
    Yeah, I am clueless about all things pregnancy, but it's not like you've gone past your due date yet. Hopefully you'll go into labor this weekend!

My due date is March 2nd.
    Hopefully, my baby will wait till next weekend to show up. Lol!
    I'm enjoying all the sleep I can while I can.
    I've never changed a baby's diaper and I've rarely ever held a newborn so this should be a fun experience, not.
    My biggest fear right now besides giving birth is people wanting to touch my child.
    I will be a hermit after he's born.

Those type of people are cringy as fuck. My sister's first baby is due in June and I always send her stories like these, begging her not to be like these people. Luckily, she has common sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jolly Roger View Post
    Why?

Because I don't like anal penetration sex between men, I don't.

Just because I don't like anal sex, doesn't make me any less gay or unable to be loved.

I can't be the only one out here, I'm just not. Don't worry about it. Mind your fucking business.

Thread Information