Thread: 15 year old dies in school shooting.

15 year old dies in school shooting.

Canadian Press
    Published: Thursday, May 24, 2007

TORONTO (CP) - Police are still searching for a suspect in the shooting death of a 15-year-old student at a north-end Toronto school.

The student, identified by friends as Jordan Manners, was shot in the chest around 2:30 p.m. Wednesday and the Grade 9 student later died in hospital. An autopsy is to be performed today.

Classes at the C.W. Jefferys Collegiate Institute are cancelled for the day, but the school remains open for grief counsellors to speak with students and staff.

Police have not yet suggested a possible motive for the shooting, but witnesses said there was a fight outside the school before the shooter followed the teen inside.

Another newspaper report quotes a 16-year-old student as saying the shooting may have been in retaliation for a prank involving a firecracker.

Police officers were drawn from divisions across the city to interview students Wednesday night. But Det. Sgt. Chris Buck says police have not yet found any direct witnesses and no weapon has been recovered.

The school is on a list of 10 in the city to have video surveillance cameras installed, but sources say none were operating at the time of the shooting.

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/na...81&k=48622

Re: 15 year old dies in school shooting.

SEE THERE IS GUN CRIME IN CANADA! 

it's not just us crazy american folks. 

RIP little boy. 

Yeah there's gun crime here, just not as much. Toronto is one of the worst for that in Canada.

Hmm...it made the news here    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6686297.stm

Maybe it's because of the rarity of murder via handguns in Canada?

Stats: 19th murder of this year in Toronto, 13th via handguns...Toronto is the worse place for gun crimes in Canada.

I'm not too sure if that's a high number or less...

The laws are very strict over there, with guns only allowed for police, collectors and gun members...

Haha I hope this doesn't start some gun debate again.

Poor kid, school meant to be safe....well in Canada anyway...

RIP

[quote author=Bella22 link=topic=7621.msg377404#msg377404 date=1180028926]
    Hmm...it made the news here    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6686297.stm

The laws are very strict over there, with guns only allowed for police, collectors and gun members...

[/quote]

and criminals.   

[quote author=Bella22 link=topic=7621.msg377404#msg377404 date=1180028926]

Maybe it's because of the rarity of murder via handguns in Canada?

Stats: 19th murder of this year in Toronto, 13th via handguns...Toronto is the worse place for gun crimes in Canada.

I'm not too sure if that's a high number or less...

Haha I hope this doesn't start some gun debate again.

Poor kid, school meant to be safe....well in Canada anyway...

RIP

[/quote]

i think it's sad that the government is so scared of their people they had to take away most of their fire arms. 

so you can be a gun collector and own hand guns and such?  fill me in on this...  do you have to be licensed or something? 

Poor kid, school meant to be safe....well in Canada anyway...  ((what was that supposed to mean?))

[quote author=HyperU2 link=topic=7621.msg377438#msg377438 date=1180029968]
    and criminals.   
    [/quote]

Key word *allowed*.

[quote author=emmieslost link=topic=7621.msg377446#msg377446 date=1180030172]
    i think it's sad that the government is so scared of their people they had to take away most of their fire arms. 

so you can be a gun collector and own hand guns and such?  fill me in on this...  do you have to be licensed or something? 

Poor kid, school meant to be safe....well in Canada anyway...  ((what was that supposed to mean?))
    [/quote]

You have to be licensed, I think they go through a strict process i.e. your history records etc.

Guns are used to kill, the government would obviously be scared, guns are often abused (obv).

Well Canada have one of the lowest gun crime rates, that's where I drew my comment from. The law is very strict. So I was surprised to hear it.

actually i believe that gun laws are not all that strict in canada.  it just so happens they have a lower crime rate, not because they don't have guns or aren't allowed to own guns...

[quote author=emmieslost link=topic=7621.msg377504#msg377504 date=1180032068]
    actually i believe that gun laws are not all that strict in canada.  it just so happens they have a lower crime rate, not because they don't have guns or aren't allowed to own guns...
    [/quote]

http://www.sfu.ca/mediapr/sfnews/1999/Oct7/opinion.html

"Canadian gun laws are claimed to protect from U.S.-style violence. But the more restrictive gun laws of both Canada and England have not protected people from random killings".

"Despite strict Canadian gun laws, a madman shot and killed four co-workers in Ottawa earlier this year. England has even tighter gun laws than Canada, but this year, in England".

It is strict, but it doesn't protect them from gun violence, like everywhere else.

[quote author=Bella22 link=topic=7621.msg377568#msg377568 date=1180033492]
    http://www.sfu.ca/mediapr/sfnews/1999/Oct7/opinion.html

"Canadian gun laws are claimed to protect from U.S.-style violence. But the more restrictive gun laws of both Canada and England have not protected people from random killings".

"Despite strict Canadian gun laws, a madman shot and killed four co-workers in Ottawa earlier this year. England has even tighter gun laws than Canada, but this year, in England".

It is strict, but it doesn't protect them from gun violence, like everywhere else.

[/quote]

i don't think gun laws in canada are near as strick as they are in the UK.  that's all i'm saying!

[quote author=emmieslost link=topic=7621.msg377576#msg377576 date=1180033655]
    i don't think gun laws in canada are near as strick as they are in the UK.  that's all i'm saying!
    [/quote]

I know! The UK gun law is definitely stricter than almost everywhere else, but we have a higher gun crime/murder rate than Canada.

[quote author=Bella22 link=topic=7621.msg377583#msg377583 date=1180033890]
    I know! The UK gun law is definitely stricter than almost everywhere else, but we have a higher gun crime/murder rate than Canada.

[/quote]

which proves the point i was trying to make.  gun laws don't prevent/stop crime the way people like to think they do. 

[quote author=emmieslost link=topic=7621.msg377446#msg377446 date=1180030172]

[/quote]

there are shootings here every week. It is still a safe city and I wouldn't feel any safer walking around with a gun.

[quote author=delta9 link=topic=7621.msg377601#msg377601 date=1180034292]
    there are shootings here every week. It is still a safe city and I wouldn't feel any safer walking around with a gun.

[/quote]

i would.  but we don't have to agree on everything.  i'm just saying gun laws don't work like we like to think they do...  that's all. 

i'm gonna go chill out to some joni now. 

[quote author=delta9 link=topic=7621.msg377601#msg377601 date=1180034292]

[/quote]

If I carried a gun my penis would feel a lot bigger. :lol:
    And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

"It is strict, but it doesn't protect them from gun violence, like everywhere else."

That's what I said earlier.

Anywayz......

[quote author=Wick link=topic=7621.msg377609#msg377609 date=1180034515]

If I carried a gun my penis would feel a lot bigger. :lol:
    [/quote]

[quote author=Bella22 link=topic=7621.msg377489#msg377489 date=1180031685]

Key word *allowed*.

You have to be licensed, I think they go through a strict process i.e. your history records etc.

Guns are used to kill, the government would obviously be scared, guns are often abused (obv).

Well Canada have one of the lowest gun crime rates, that's where I drew my comment from. The law is very strict. So I was surprised to hear it.

[/quote]

"Poor kid, school meant to be safe....well in Canada anyway... "

that doesnt at all explain what you said. schools are supposed to be safe in canada because of their low gun crimes? so theyre not supposed to be safe in america because of our loose gun control?

i wouldnt say gun control is strict in canada at all. my ex and his brother have quite a few guns and they live in toronto. my ex wouldnt be able to legally own a gun in the US because of his criminal history (vandalism) just as he isnt LEGALLY able to own a gun in canada, but still does.
    people all over the world will still own guns no matter how strict gun laws are, the only difference is, the ones that are owned illegally have no way to trace it to the owner, thats scary. atleast if its registered you can put the responsibility on the owner.

[quote author=emmieslost link=topic=7621.msg377607#msg377607 date=1180034424]
    i would.  but we don't have to agree on everything.  i'm just saying gun laws don't work like we like to think they do...  that's all. 

i'm gonna go chill out to some joni now. 
    [/quote]

I hear you, we don't have to agree.

I mentioned a few days ago in the gun thread that I didn't understand why Bud needed one, but that was because I don't live where he does, so I can't say.

I can honestly tell you that when you walk around this city, it's beautiful and for the most part peaceful. So there is absolutely no reason for everyone to get paranoid and start carrying guns. Can you see how that would make everyone second guess each other here. Maybe be on the defensive. Maybe be a little colder to each other.

I don't want Toronto to turn into Texas. There is no need for it.

most of these killings are gang related. I could care less about them. Let them kill each other.

Having said that I do realize Toronto is going to get worse over the next 10 -20 years. But until then there is absolutely no need for more firearms. If you lived here you'd understand.

I'm not starting a fight, trust me, we both know each others point of view. I just want people to know who haven't been to Canada that we are a chill country. We don't need people getting paranoid because the media chooses to focus on the negatives.

i don't want iowa to turn into texas either!  :lol

hotsauce, thank you for understanding where i'm coming from.  i'm glad someone does! 

:lol: I don't want Toronto to turn into Iowa j/k

I can't imagine going to my local pub to watch the game and knowing that every Tom, Dick, and Harry have guns on them. And then when a fist fight breaks out you have 20 idiots wanting to be the hero and escalating matters. If it comes to that I will be relocating up north and taking my chances with the bears and moose.

There is no way I'm bringing kids into the world if I feel you need to walk around with a gun for protection. What's the point in even procreating if things are that bad?

I digress.

[quote author=delta9 link=topic=7621.msg377699#msg377699 date=1180037576]
    :lol: I don't want Toronto to turn into Iowa j/k

I can't imagine going to my local pub to watch the game and knowing that every Tom, Dick, and Harry have guns on them. And then when a fist fight breaks out you have 20 idiots wanting to be the hero and escalating matters. If it comes to that I will be relocating up north and taking my chances with the bears and moose.

There is no way I'm bringing kids into the world if I feel you need to walk around with a gun for protection. What's the point in even procreating if things are that bad?

I digress.
    [/quote]

it's illegal to have guns in a bar, silly!

We obviously do have gun crime in Canada (just like everywhere else). We just have a lot less of it. The only people I know that own guns are my great aunt and uncle and they're kinda wacky. They own them for protection I guess, even though they live in the middle of nowhere. People can argue about the gun laws in Canada all they want but I feel safe here and that's all that matters. I would never want to feel that I have to own a gun for my own protection from all the other people around me who also have guns.

I remember watching the lockdown of the school live on television, and hoping that the little boy was going to survive  :-(

You're like a hurricane to me: your violence is beautiful, your centre, so sweet.

They caught the guys who did it.

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/am....ap/index.html

TORONTO, Ontario (AP) -- Two teens are charged with murdering another teen in a school shooting that prompted outraged provincial and local officials to call for tighter federal gun control laws.

The teens -- both 17 -- were charged Sunday with first-degree murder in the May 23 fatal shooting of 15-year-old Jordan Manners at C.W. Jefferys Collegiate Institute. The shooting came on the heels of a series of recent bomb threats directed at several Canadian schools.

The incidents rattled a country that prides itself on its low crime rate, particularly in comparison to its southern neighbor, the United States.

One of the teens was arrested Sunday, police said, while the second surrendered to authorities Sunday night. They cannot be identified because they are minors.

Manners was shot and killed in a hallway in the school, which is located near a high-crime Toronto neighborhood.

Witnesses have said there was a fight outside the school, and then the shooter followed the victim inside, where he was shot.

Toronto police Staff Sgt. Ray Bold said Manners and the two charged knew each other and "were probably friends."

Bold declined to say whether the teens charged were students at the school.

The shooting sparked calls for tighter gun control laws.

"We have seen too many shootings result in too many funerals for our young people," Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty wrote Thursday in an open letter to federal party leaders, urging them to push through proposed criminal justice legislation and implement a "real ban" on handguns.

Toronto Mayor David Miller also called for a ban on hand guns.

Handguns are already severely restricted in Canada, and a handgun registry has been in force for more than 60 years.

The incident in Toronto came about a week after at least eight school bomb threats targeting Canadian schools in eastern Canada. A 14-year-old boy was arrested in one of those incidents after an explosive device was found in his school in the eastern province of New Brunswick while six teens in Ontario were also arrested for allegedly writing bomb threats at a local elementary school.

The shooting comes a little more than a month after a gunman killed 32 people on the campus of Virginia Tech, an American university, before taking his own life.

In September, a gunman at Montreal's Dawson College killed a student and wounded 19 others before he took his own life.

Copyright 2007 The Associated Press.

I like how, when getting rid of the guns wasn't enough, they decide they need to get rid of the guns.  Again.

Thread Information