Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: Misogynistic bullshit!

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/19/sport...ntl/index.html

New York Mets fire general manager Jared Porter after he reportedly sent explicit pictures to female reporter

The New York Mets have fired general manager Jared Porter after he reportedly sent explicit pictures to a female reporter in 2016.

ESPN reported that Porter sent unsolicited, explicit texts and photos "culminating with a picture of an erect, naked penis" to the female reporter when he worked for the Chicago Cubs as the team's Director of Professional Scouting and Special Assistant.

Mets owner Steven Cohen tweeted Tuesday morning: "We have terminated Jared Porter this morning. In my initial press conference I spoke about the importance of integrity and I meant it. There should be zero tolerance for this type of behavior."

According to ESPN, Porter allegedly sent 62 texts, including seven photos to the reporter that weren't answered.

ESPN said it obtained the messages and images in December 2017 and interviewed the reporter but chose not to report the allegations at the time after the woman said her career would be harmed if the story was released.

CNN is attempting to reach Porter for comment.

Mets president Sandy Alderson released the following statement on Tuesday. "The New York Mets have terminated General Manager Jared Porter, effective immediately. Jared's actions, as reflected by events disclosed last night, failed to meet the Mets' standards for professionalism and personal conduct."

ESPN contacted Porter on Monday evening and he reportedly acknowledged texting with the woman. ESPN reports he initially said he had not sent any pictures of himself, but when the network confronted him about how the text messaging shows he had sent pictures, Porter reportedly told ESPN: "The more explicit ones are not of me. Those are like, kinda like joke-stock images."

The unidentified woman told ESPN: "My number one motivation is I want to prevent this from happening to someone else," she said through an interpreter. "Obviously, he's in a much greater position of power. I want to prevent that from happening again. The other thing is, I never really got the notion that he was truly sorry."

According to ESPN, Porter apologized to the woman in 2016 by text after she reportedly told him that his messages were "extremely inappropriate, very offensive, and getting out of line."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...out&li=BBnb7Kz

Canadian reporter sexually harassed by driver on air

It’s 2021 and a pandemic is raging around the globe but cat-calling and sexual harassment have continued.

Krista Sharpe, a reporter for Canadian broadcaster CTV, was shooting a segment recently on the side of a street in Kitchener, about 70 miles west of Toronto, when a driver shouted “f--- her in the p----”, a reference to a meme from 2014, at her as they passed in and out of her shot.

“This is not funny and it’s not cool,” Sharpe wrote on Twitter while sharing the video. “As much as I’d love to say it doesn’t bother me, it does. It makes me feel like sh*t. Especially as VJ who is always alone. This still happens to female reporters everywhere and it needs to stop.”

Krista Sharpe, a reporter for Canadian broadcaster CTV (Twitter/)

Since posting the video, which has been viewed more than 3 million times, Sharpe has received thousands of messages of support.

Police are investigating, according to the CBC.

“This incident is unacceptable, vulgar and offensive. No one should be subjected to hate and bullying within workplace,” Waterloo Regional Police Chief Bryan Larkin said.
    Video at link:https://twitter.com/KristajSharpe/st...31080767102980

https://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...t-lax/2511385/

TSA Agent Convicted of Tricking Woman Into Showing Him Her Breasts at LAX

A former Transportation Security Administration agent who was accused of tricking a traveler into showing her breasts as she went through security at Los Angeles International Airport pleaded no contest Friday to false imprisonment, authorities said.

Johnathon Lomeli entered the plea to a felony count and was sentenced to 60 days in county jail, 52 classes addressing sexual compulsion and two years of probation, California’s attorney general’s office announced.

Lomeli was also barred from working as a security guard.

Lomeli was charged with using fraud or deceit to falsely imprison the woman in June 2019.

The woman told investigators that Lomeli told her he had to look inside her bra to ensure she wasn’t hiding anything, had her hold her pants away from her waist for a check, and then said he would take her to a private room for further security screening, prosecutors said.

But when they were alone on an elevator, Lomeli told the woman he could perform the screening there and ordered her to lift her shirt and show her breasts, then looked down her pants, she said.

Lomeli then told the woman she was free to go and added that she had nice breasts, authorities said.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/17/polit...rnd/index.html

In another anti-abortion push by Republican lawmakers, lawmakers in Tennessee have introduced a bill that would allow a person to stop a woman who is pregnant with their unborn child from receiving an abortion.

The legislation -- introduced in both the Tennessee House and Senate last week -- would allow a person to petition the court to keep a pregnant person from getting an abortion.

"A person may petition a court with jurisdiction over domestic relations matters to request an injunction to prohibit a woman who is pregnant with the person's unborn child from obtaining an abortion," the Senate bill reads.

The bill requires that the petitioner prove they are the biological father of the unborn child, but does not require them to provide DNA evidence -- only a "voluntary acknowledgment of paternity," which is acceptable without the signature of the pregnant parent, the bill states.

The bill also does not make exceptions for rape or incest. If someone is found to have gone against the injunction, they may be held in civil or criminal contempt, according to the bill.

CNN has reached out to state Sen. Mark Pody, who introduced the Senate bill, and state Rep. Jerry Sexton, who sponsored the House bill. Neither have returned requests for comment.

Last Thursday, the state Senate bill was passed on second consideration. It has now been referred to the Senate Judiciary Committee. In the state House, it passed first consideration last week. If passed, the act will take effect on July 1.

However, the 1992 case Planned Parenthood v. Casey, during which the Supreme Court ruled that states cannot require anyone seeking an abortion to inform their partners, could mean the bill is unconstitutional.

In a February 12 Facebook post sharing a HuffPost article about the legislation, Tennessee Advocates for Planned Parenthood called it "unconstitutional, insulting, and dangerous. Period."

The organization did not respond to CNN's request for comment.

The proposed legislation comes as the US continues to see a rise in anti-abortion legislation in recent years, as a wave of restrictive bans in Republican-leaning states have attempted to take advantage of the Conservative-majority Supreme Court and the Trump administration's support for tighter abortion restrictions.

Some efforts to change abortion policy have been blocked in court. In July of last year, for example, federal judges blocked controversial abortion restrictions out of Georgia and Tennessee. Tennessee is among a handful of states where lawmakers have, in recent years, attacked abortion access.

Last November, a federal appeals court ruled that part of a Tennessee law banning abortions based on a prenatal diagnosis of Down syndrome or a fetus' race or sex, could take effect.
    So anyone could claim the were the father and restrict a woman from getting an abortion...no questions asked of the 'father'. A woman in a domestic abuse situation could be entrapped and have no say. A rape or incest victim could again be victimized by the rapist. This is nothing but misogyny, pure and simple.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 02-18-2021 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/17/polit...rnd/index.html

So anyone could claim the were the father and restrict a woman from getting an abortion...no questions asked of the 'father'. A woman in a domestic abuse situation could be entrapped and have no say. A rape or incest victim could again be victimized by the rapist. This is nothing buy misogyny, pure and simple.
    This is so disgusting!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/te...out&li=BBnb7Kz

Texas school district responds after 'chivalry' homework assignment goes viral

The Shallowater Independent School District in Lubbock County, Texas, is under fire after a "chivalry" homework assignment went viral this week. District officials have responded, saying they have asked the teacher not to give the assignment again in the future.

"Here’s a really ... interesting ... assignment on chivalry from @shallowaterisd," Dallas-based journalist Brandi D. Addison Davis wrote in a tweet on Wednesday. "They are requiring the female students to lower their heads and curtsy for men; clean up after men; cook for and bring a drink to the men’s class. This goes on for the entire day ... even at home."

In the photo, which originated from a post on Facebook, a homework assignment for a high school senior English class details the "Rules of Chivalry." The assignment shared on social media was intended for the female students in the class. The name of the teacher was redacted.

"On Wednesday, March 3, the ladies ... will demonstrate to the school how the code of chivalry and standards set in the medieval concept of courtly love carries into the modern day," the assignment reads. "The ladies of the class with follow the Rules of Chivalry Day. All ladies deemed worthy of the honor by the gentleman will receive 10 points for every signature at the end of the day. Fathers and other adult males may insist on following the rules into evening and may report to the judges ... in these matters." Boys in the class also received a chivalry assignment of their own.

The Shallowater Independent School District shared a statement with TODAY Parents after the assignment went viral.

"This assignment has been reviewed, and despite its historical context, it does not reflect our district and community values," Superintendent of Schools Anita Hebert said in an email message. "The matter has been addressed with the teacher, and the assignment was removed."

The specific rules of the assignment for females included the following:

“Ladies to dress in a feminine manner to please the men (Must be within school dress code).”

“Ladies must address all men respectfully by title, with a lowered head and curtsy.”

“Ladies must not complain or whine.”

“Ladies must cook (preferably not buy) something for the gentlemen in their class. Sweet baked goods are preferable.”

“Ladies must not initiate conversations with males (with the exception of male teachers).”

“The ladies must walk behind men daintily as if their feet were bound.”

“Outside the classroom, ladies cannot show intellectual superiority if it would offend the men around them.”

“Ladies should clean up after the men.”

“Ladies must obey any reasonable request of a male. If not sure if it is considered reasonable, ladies can check with their teachers.”

“Ladies must bring in root beer, ginger ale or sparkling cider for the gentlemen in their class.”

Colin Tynes Lain, an 18-year-old student in the English class that received the assignment, shared the boys' side of the assignment with TODAY. Boys were instructed to "assist ladies to seat themselves or rise from their seats," refer to females in class and all female faculty members as "Milady," create "a yummy treat of friendship in Medieval coded messages for a lady in the class," and pay all expenses when taking out a lady from the class.

"Yes, it was worded very vulgarly, I would say. It's a very controversial topic and a very touchy topic," Lain told TODAY Parents. "But there is also a guy's side of the assignment for the males in the class."

Lain said he felt the teacher, whom he described as a feminist, was getting a bad rap for the assignment. He noted that the same teacher also got pushback when she gave the assignment last year. He said students who did not want to participate were allowed to opt out.

"I think she was just trying to find a different way to teach us about this topic," he said. "So the men in our class honestly could kind of see how it really was to be a woman in the 1300s."

When asked why, if that was the goal, the roles weren't reversed, Lain said, "I could see that."

"We still face sexism in our society today, heavily," Lain noted. "I think, seeing it as heavily as it was ingrained in society during that time, it was interesting ... because this is something too important for you to just learn on paper or read from a book. I think that's how my teacher saw it: as something that we can do, like, a hands-on approach with and just kind of actually see it for ourselves."

I don't even know where to start with how stupid and offensive this man is. Also, I am including his pic since he is talking about womens' weight, just to show how far along he is in his pregnancy.

https://www.abc27.com/news/missouri-...melania-trump/

Missouri pastor on leave after sexist sermon saying wives should lose weight to look like Melania Trump

A pastor from Missouri is in professional counseling after many people are saying he gave a sexist sermon.

A viral video shows Pastor Stewart-Allen Clark preaching on the importance of wives pleasing their husbands and ‘not letting themselves go.’

“Now look, I’m not saying that every woman can be the epic trophy wife of all time like Melania Trump,” he said. “Most women can’t be trophy wives…but maybe a participation trophy. All I can say is not everybody looks like that, Amen? But you don’t need to look like a butch either!”

“Men want their wives to look good at home and in public, can I get an Amen?”

“God made men to be drawn to beautiful women. We are made this way. We can’t help ourselves.”

Pastor Clark “thanked God” for makeup and suggested women should seek advice from their husbands on what looks good.

“It’s important that he thinks you’re hot! It’s important because he’s going to look, and you want him looking at you.”

The pride and joy of Missouri, Pastor Stewart Allen Clark, letting women know that we can't all be trophy wives, but should still aspire to get a participation trophy. And not even trying to be hot is unacceptable! pic.twitter.com/BGBEjDCQzu
    — ��Bri Ribalta�� (@BriRibalta) March 5, 2021

He also joked he doesn’t counsel married couples anymore because they lack ‘weight control.’

Clark ended the sermon by saying: “Scientists have discovered, by the way, a food that diminishes the woman’s sex drive. It’s called the ‘wedding cake.’”

According to the church’s website, “Pastor Stewart-Allen Clark has taken a leave of absence and is seeking professional counseling.”

The General Baptist Council of Associations also condemned his message in a public statement.

“General Baptists believe that every woman was created in the image of God, and they should be valued for that reason. Furthermore, we believe that all individuals regardless of any other factors are so loved by God that Christ died for them.”

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/11/media...men/index.html

Pentagon and senior members of military call out Tucker Carlson for mocking women serving in armed forces: His words 'don't reflect our values'

In an extraordinary rebuke, the Pentagon and several senior members of the US military called out Fox News host Tucker Carlson on Thursday for a sexist segment in which he mocked women serving in the armed forces.

Carlson, who is effectively the face of Fox and hosts the top show on the right-wing channel, ridiculed President Joe Biden Tuesday for saying that the US military had created uniforms to fit women properly, created maternity flight suits for those who are pregnant, and updated requirements for hairstyles.

"So we've got new hairstyles and maternity flight suits," Carlson snarked. "Pregnant women are going to fight our wars. It's a mockery of the US military."

Carlson's comments have prompted severe backlash from some of the most senior members of the US military who took to Twitter on Wednesday and Thursday to call Carlson out for what they described as harmful and divisive rhetoric.

Speaking to reporters Thursday, Pentagon spokesperson John Kirby said the Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin shared the same "revulsion" that many military leaders have expressed about the comments Carlson made.

Kirby said the military still had "a lot of work to do" to become "more inclusive, more respectful of everyone — especially women."

"We pledge to do better, and we will," Kirby said. "What we absolutely won't do is take personnel advice from a talk show host, or the Chinese military. Maybe those folks feel like they have something to prove. That's on them."

The pointed comments from Kirby came as a number of senior military leaders excoriated Carlson for his rhetoric.

"Women lead our most lethal units with character. They will dominate ANY future battlefield we're called to fight on," tweeted the Sergeant Major of the Army, Michael A. Grinston.
    "@TuckerCarlson's words are divisive, don't reflect our values. We have THE MOST professional, educated, agile, and strongest NCO Corps in the world."

General Paul Funk, who as head of Army Training and Doctrine Command sets policy and guides future changes for troops, tweeted that "thousands of women serve honorably every day around the globe."

"They are beacons of freedom and they prove Carlson wrong through determination and dedication," Funk added. "We are fortunate they serve with us."

The senior enlisted leader at the US Space Command, Marine Corps Master Gunnerery Sgt. Scott H. Stalker, posted a video in which he called Carlson's show "drama TV" and said he wished to "remind everyone" that Carlson's opinion was "based off of actually zero days of service in the armed forces."

Major General Patrick Donahoe posted a video of him "conducting a re-enlistment for one of the tens of thousands of women who serve in our Army."

"Just a reminder that @TuckerCarlson couldn't be more wrong," Donahoe said. Fort Hood Deputy Commanding General John B. Richardson IV tweeted, "Mothers in uniform fight & win our nation's wars. Fathers in uniform fight & win our nation's wars. Soldier is not a gendered noun."

Lieutenant General Theodore D. Martin shared a photo of his daughter and said that "contrary to what you may be hearing" she and other women "are NOT" making "a mockery of our military."
    "You WISH your daughter was as AWESOME as MINE!" Martin added. "So BACK OFF."

A spokesperson for Fox did not respond to a request for comment Thursday morning.

Carlson regularly makes incendiary comments on his primetime show. He was also called out by The New York Times this week for encouraging harassment against one of its journalists. And, in the past, he has seen large-scale advertiser boycotts over comments on the Black Lives Matter movement and immigration.

Carlson's top writer quit his job last year after a CNN report revealed he had for years used a pseudonym to post racist and sexist remarks on an online forum.

The programming on Fox has become increasingly extreme in the last several years and even more so following the November election when it saw competition from smaller channels making a bid for its conservative audience.

The days in which Fox marketed itself as a "fair & balanced" news channel are long gone. Most of the channel's programming is now filled with right-wing commentary.

Fox Corporation chief executive Lachlan Murdoch even conceded recently that he views the network's role in the Biden years as being the "loyal opposition" to the White House

https://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Wellness/...ry?id=76379838

Female firefighter gets change in coverage for breast cancer after hers was denied

A female firefighter in Colorado who learned that her treatment for breast cancer would not be covered under her health coverage fought for change in order to level the playing field for all firefighters.

Tracy Post, a lieutenant in the Westminster, Colorado, fire department, was diagnosed with stage 2 invasive ductal carcinoma in November 2019.

Post, 45, who has worked for the fire department since 2013, had to undergo a double mastectomy and four rounds of chemotherapy to treat her cancer, followed by breast reconstruction.

As she began her treatment, Post said she discovered that breast cancer was not one of the five types of cancer covered under the Colorado Firefighter Heart and Cancer Benefits Trust, which provides mandated cardiac and voluntary cancer benefits to the state’s firefighters.

Post twice appealed to the board of trustees for coverage, but her appeals were denied. As a result, Post had to pay out of pocket for the costs of her breast cancer treatment not covered by insurance.

"I have health insurance through the city but it’s still incredibly expensive," Post told "Good Morning America." "My percentage [of costs] was in the tens of thousands of dollars."

And because breast cancer was not recognized by the trust as a job-related cancer, Post also had to return to work during her chemotherapy treatments in order to not have to go on short-term disability and have her pay decreased.

"I could have just stayed at home and concentrated on getting better instead of having to figure out having to also continue to work," she said. "It was incredibly frustrating."

While Post described not having breast cancer covered by the trust as "incredibly frustrating," she said she was also understanding of the trust's initial ruling to not include breast cancer as one of the five cancers it covers. Many states, including Colorado, have what are called presumptive cancer laws that recognize certain cancers as job-related cancers because of firefighters' exposure to carcinogens.

"You have to appreciate [the ruling] because they are trying to maintaining the trust and be financially responsible for the good of all firefighters," she said. "I wanted to prove to them that adding breast cancer, aside from being the right thing to do and being justified, was also not going to financially exhaust the trust itself."

While men can get breast cancer, the disease most often occurs in females and is the second most common cancer among women in the United States, according to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).

Across the country, female firefighters make up less than 10% of the fire service, according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). That percentage is even smaller in Colorado, according to Post.

The Colorado Firefighter Heart and Cancer Benefits Trust, which was created in 2017, covered five types of cancer -- hematologic cancer, brain cancer, skin cancer, genital urinary cancer and digestive cancer -- which all occur more commonly in men than breast cancer.

"When the trust was created, they had the best intentions in place for trying to cover the most cancers they could at that point in time, and at that point in time, the five cancer systems that they covered were the most prevalent cancer systems," said Post. "However, the data pool that they pulled that statistic from was 97% male. Breast cancer is not typically considered a male disease and a 3% population is not going to provide staggering statistical data for coverage."

Even though Post's appeals had been denied and she would not benefit from a change in the trust's coverage, the mother of two set out to change the rule to help her fellow female firefighters. While undergoing treatment for her own breast cancer, she spent what she describes as "every waking moment" compiling data and statistics in a presentation to compel the trust to add breast cancer coverage.

"I just wanted to make sure that the ladies I work with get the benefit if one of them happens to get breast cancer down the road," said Post. "Or somebody else who is a firefighter because she loves helping people and it’s the right thing to do for her community, I want to make sure that she knows that her back is covered if something goes wrong down the line."
    MORE: Photo of 1st all-female crew in Florida fire department's 57-year history goes viral

After Post made the first of three presentation's to the trust's board of trustees, word began to trickle back to the Westminster Fire Department of the monumental task Post was undertaking, all by herself and on her own time.

"The next thing you know, I’m getting a call from someone on the board saying, ‘You’ve got this Lt. Post out there, she’s doing a pretty good job,'" said Doug Hall, chief of the Westminster Fire Department. "I don’t think master’s thesis require that type of research she did. I’m really wondering if Ph.D.s require that type of research."

"And for her to put forth that effort, realizing that she’s not going to gain anything from it, that’s a pretty unique human trait," Hall added. "That to me defines the true essence of a servant leader."

Members of the board of trustees also appreciated the amount of work Post put in to the effort to enact change, according to Mike Frainier, president of the Colorado Professional Fire Fighters and chair of the Colorado Firefighter Heart and Cancer Benefits Trust's board of trustees.

"Tracy was tenacious," said Frainier. "She knew that if it did get approved she wouldn’t benefit from it, and she kept fighting."

In August, Post was in her office listening to the board of trustees meeting, via a conference call due to the coronavirus pandemic, when the board voted unanimously to approve adding breast cancer to the trust's cancer coverage.

"I just wept. The tears ran down my face," she recalled. "I’ve never had so much hope and gratitude and thankfulness at one moment at any time in my life. It was so wonderful."

"I’m so thankful because not a single person on the trust didn’t not want to support the women of Colorado," she said. "Not a single one said that this isn’t the right thing to do."

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/r...nough-n1261277

As rape allegations rock Australia's Parliament, thousands of women say enough is enough-“It’s a Parliament problem, it’s an Australian problem, it’s a global problem,"

https://nypost.com/2021/03/22/asbury...ing-hot-nurse/

Gannett’s Asbury Park Press runs photo caption of ‘f–king hot nurse’

Gannett’s Asbury Park Press, the third-largest daily newspaper in New Jersey, sparked outrage over the weekend when it published a photo caption of “a f–king hot nurse” administering a COVID vaccine.

The offensive caption also called the unidentified nurse “a total JAP,” adding racism to the already profane and misogynistic text. The photo was credited to Gustavo Martinez Contreras, accompanying a Saturday story under his byline about efforts to bring the vaccine to people of color on the Jersey Shore.

The caption was eventually changed and the photo was taken down entirely in later versions of the story, according to David Wildstein of New Jersey Globe, who first broke the story about the caption.

“This is beyond the pale and disgusting,” tweeted state Sen. Vin Gopal (D-Long Branch) while the photo was still live. “Asbury Park Press needs to provide an explanation and apology ASAP on why and how this was posted.”

In a Monday statement, Asbury Park Press executive editor Paul D’Ambrosio said the caption was fixed on Sunday as soon as editors at the paper learned of the issue.

“The words in the caption were totally unacceptable and in no way reflect the principles and practices of the staff of the Press and Gannett,” D’Ambrosio said. “The Press and Gannett have a long history of fighting for inclusiveness, diversity and women’s rights.”

“We took immediate and significant action once we became aware of the issue, and we changed our online procedures to ensure such an event never happens again,” D’Ambrosio added.

Martinez Contreras couldn’t immediately respond to requests for comment.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/turkey-...against-women/

Anger and fear as Turkey takes a "step backward" in preventing violence against women

Despite cold and rain, anger drove hundreds of Turkish women onto one of Istanbul's busy squares over the weekend to urge Turkey's President Recep Tayyip Erdogan to reverse his decision to withdraw from a European treaty on fighting violence against women.

"We won't shut up, we won't obey" the protesters chanted. Many carried photos of women who have been killed by men — faces of a domestic violence epidemic in Turkey that many fear could be poised to get even worse.

"We are disappointed. We've realized our lives have no value," one young woman at the protest, who didn't want to give her name, told CBS News.

"I am very scared, and I don't feel safe," cried another woman. "We want our rights to be secured by law."

In an unusual move, Erdogan published a decree at 2 a.m. on Saturday announcing that his government was pulling Turkey out of the treaty commonly known as the Istanbul Convention. The treaty provides a legal framework meant to prevent violence and discrimination against women, and in 2012 Turkey became the first of more than 30 nations to ratify it.

The legally-binding pact characterizes violence against women as a human rights violation and requires countries to take measures to prevent such violence, protect victims and prosecute perpetrators. States that are party to the treaty are compelled to criminalize a wide variety of offenses, such as rape, stalking and sexual harassment.

Erdogan's decision to withdrawal from the pact, formally called the Council of Europe Convention on Preventing and Combating Violence Against Women and Domestic Violence, comes after a decade of rising figures of women being killed in the country. Government figures show that 266 women were killed last year alone, but some women's rights groups say the real figure is at least 300.

A "step backward"

Erdogan's decision to pull out of the treaty was condemned not only in Turkey, but around the globe. The Council of Europe called it "a huge setback" made "all the more deplorable because it compromises the protection of women in Turkey, across Europe and beyond."

President Joe Biden issued a statement calling the withdrawal "deeply disappointing," and "a disheartening step backward for the international movement to end violence against women globally."

But conservative Islamist groups in Turkey have long criticized the treaty, arguing that it undermines the country's traditional family values.

Erdogan's critics see in the withdrawal an attempt to please his Islamic hardliner base, and to consolidate his power in the face of his waning popularity.

In a statement posted by Turkey's Directorate of Communications, Erdogan's government defended the withdrawal by claiming the treaty had been hijacked by "a group of people attempting to normalize homosexuality"

Homosexuality, the directorate said in a statement certain to deepen fears of the LGBTQ community in the country, was "incompatible with Turkey's social and family values."

In an attempt to address the rampant criticism of the move, the ruling Justice and Development Party's deputy leader, Fatma Betul Sayan Kaya, said the government was working on a new initiative dubbed the Ankara Convention, which she said would "prioritize our values."

A double standard

Meanwhile, domestic violence cases continue to dominate the headlines in Turkey.

Melek Ipek shot her husband of 12 years after purportedly enduring hourslong torture sessions at his hands. Police found Ipek naked and handcuffed, with signs of beating on her body when they arrived at the scene of the shooting on January 9 this year, according to local media reports.

"Often he did not need a reason to beat me. Sometimes he beat me because he had a dream about me leaving him," Ipek told a court — where she is still on trial and facing a possible life sentence for the "premeditated murder" of her own alleged abuser.

Her lawyer is arguing self-defense and demanding full acquittal.

Women's rights groups often criticize what they say is a double standard in Turkey's justice system: Men convicted of domestic violence and even femicide are often handed relatively short sentences. In one recent case, a man was given a life sentence after killing his wife, but the sentence was later reduced to 15 years in prison, with the judge citing his "good behavior" in court.

"There aren't that many laws protecting women in Turkey," Gulsum Kav, founder of the We Will Stop Femicides organization, told CBS News, warning that the government's withdrawal from the European convention risked even the few protections on the books being erased.

"Withdrawing from this convention is a travesty. There are women out there whose life was saved thanks to this convention," Kav said.

She urged the government to return to the treaty "immediately," before abusers take courage in the move.

Since the withdrawal was announced, women's rights groups have called for daily protests across Turkey, vowing to force the government to reverse its decision.

If you are a survivor or victim in the U.S. and it is an emergency, dial 911. Other resources include: The National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-SAFE, or text LOVEIS to 22522. If you need help in Turkey, you can call (0212) 656 96 96 or 0549 656 96 96.

She had nothing to do with the ship stuck in the Suez Canal...she works for a totally different company. You have to ask yourself why so many people wanted to put out the story that the first female Egyptian ship captain was the one that had the accident and got the ship stuck.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...en/7082550002/

Online trolls attack Egypt's first female sea captain after Suez Canal ship accident

Egypt's first female sea captain says she was skewered on social media for causing the grounding that blocked the Suez Canal for almost a week even though she was working on a ship hundreds of miles away.

The controversy comes as the canal authority announced that the backup of ships was finally cleared Saturday, 11 days after the mammoth container ship Ever Given became wedged across a narrow section of the canal and six days after the ship was freed.

Marwa Elselehdar, 29, says she was working on the Aida IV, hundreds of miles away in Alexandria, when she realized online rumors were blaming her for the accident.

Trolls falsified an article on Elselehdar that had been published by Arab News days before the accident. The headline of a flattering profile was changed from “Marwa Elselehdar: Egypt’s first female sea captain is riding waves of success” to “Cargo ship crashes into Suez canal. First female Lloyd Arab captain involved in incident.”

Hapag-Lloyd is a container ship company. Elselehdar works for the Egyptian Authority of Marine Safety.

The blockage has been blamed for billions of dollars in global losses.

"Frankly, when I read the news I was upset because I worked really hard to reach the position I have reached," she said in a video posted online. "Anyone who works in this field knows how much effort a person has made over the years to reach this rank."

Multiple fake Twitter accounts were created in her name, which made it more difficult for her to present the true story, she said.

"It is difficult to see that someone is trying to cancel all this effort ... or accuse me of being a failure or that I neglect my work," she said. “It’s my reputation, and I definitely don’t want it damaged like this.”

Elselehdar studied at the Arab Academy for Science, Technology and Maritime Transport in Egypt, where she became the first Egyptian woman to study in the Department of Maritime Transport and Technology. She graduated in 2013, the only woman in a class of 1,200.

She was recently promoted to captain, although she must take the final exam.

"People in our society still don't accept the idea of girls working in the sea away from their families for a long time," she told the BBC. "But when you do what you love, it is not necessary for you to seek the approval of everyone."

The identity of the Ever Given's captain has not been revealed. The 422 ships that were stranded passed through the canal in record time of six days, canal authority director Osama Rabie said in a statement.

Rabie called the effort an "achievement that adds to the authority's ability to manage emergency situations and deal with crises."

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...cuser-77197124

Supporters of lawmaker in rape complaint name his accuser

When rape allegations surfaced against a Republican state lawmaker in deep-red Idaho, some rushed to support him — in part by publicly releasing the name of his accuser.

Another lawmaker, some far-right blogs and others also released the name in disparaging social media posts or in newsletters, some of them including her photograph and details about her personal life.

The controversial move has victim advocates warning that publicly identifying people without their consent who say they were sexually assaulted makes it less likely that other women will be willing to file a report if they are attacked.

“This is absolutely why victims don't report,” said Annie Hightower, director of law and policy with the Idaho Coalition Against Sexual & Domestic Violence. “I don't see any point to do that besides trying to bully someone and scare them from moving forward.”

The Associated Press generally does not identify the names of people who say they have been sexually assaulted.

The allegations against Rep. Aaron von Ehlinger of Lewiston were first made public on Friday, when a legislative ethics committee released a copy of the complaint that was redacted to remove the name and job title of the accuser.

In the complaint, a legislative staffer said she was assaulted after von Ehlinger took her out to dinner and then back to his apartment on the pretext that he'd forgotten something. The staffer said he initiated sexual contact and forced her to perform oral sex, and that it happened even though she said “no” and froze. The Boise Police Department is investigating.

Von Ehlinger has denied the allegations, and last week told The Lewiston Tribune that the encounter was consensual and he did nothing illegal or improper. He didn't respond to a request for comment Tuesday from The Associated Press.

Shortly after the ethics committee released the complaint, David Leroy — an attorney who was representing von Ehlinger at the time — publicly released a seven-page letter written by von Ehlinger's previous attorney refuting the allegations and contending that the lawmaker had passed a lie detector test. That letter included the accuser's name, as well as some personally identifying details about her life.

Soon the person's name was popping up in social media and blog posts. Far-right bloggers shared the name and photograph, calling her a liar and attempting to discredit her by sharing personal details about her.

Republican Rep. Priscilla Giddings, a Republican from White Bird, sent a newsletter to constituents revealing the woman's name and claiming the allegations were a “blatant liberal smear job.”

Neither Giddings nor Leroy responded to requests for comment from the AP.

Heather Drevna, vice president of communications for the Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network, or RAINN, said identifying people who report sex assaults without their consent could compound any trauma they've experienced.

“Survivors have already had their agency taken away from them in one of the most horrific ways possible,” Drevna said. “That's why responsible media long ago adopted the policy about not naming victims without their consent.”

RAINN operates a sexual abuse hotline for survivors, and the organization frequently sees an increase in calls when survivors speak out. The hotline saw its largest 24-hour call increase in history, Drevna said, in 2018 after Dr. Christine Blasey Ford testified in a U.S. Senate hearing that now-Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh sexually assaulted her when they were teens. Kavanaugh strongly denied those accusations.

“If they see someone being supported, that can have an impact on their ability to report,” Drevna said of the callers. “Conversely, seeing a survivor treated so abysmally as having their information released without their consent, that can have a chilling effect on others.”

The legislative ethics committee is holding a public hearing on the allegations against von Ehlinger on April 28. Von Ehlinger and his accuser — or their representatives — will have the opportunity to testify and present evidence if they wish.

The committee will then recommend to the full House whether the complaint should be dismissed or if von Ehlinger should face reprimand, censure or expulsion, and the House will vote.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wire..._headlines_hed

Idaho intern reports rape, says lawmakers ‘destroyed me’

The harassment began soon after a report by a 19-year-old intern, who alleged an Idaho lawmaker raped her, became public.

One state representative sought a copy of the police report and made inquiries into how the young woman herself could be referred for criminal charges for reporting the alleged rape.

Another shared links to a far-right blog post that included the intern’s name, photo and personal details about her life with thousands of people in a newsletter and on social media.

And members of a far-right, anti-government activist group tried to follow and harass the young woman after she was called to testify in a legislative public ethics hearing.

“I can take criticism. I can take people laying out their opinion on me,” the intern told The Associated Press in a phone interview Sunday evening. “But this, it’s just overwhelming.”

The AP doesn’t name people who report sexual assault unless they agree to be publicly named. The intern asked to use the name “Jane Doe,” which is the name she testified under during a legislative ethics committee hearing last week.

The investigation into then-Rep. Aaron von Ehlinger, a Republican from Lewiston, underscores why many alleged sex crimes go unreported.

While the #MeToo movement made it clear that sexual harassment and assault remains a widespread problem, survivors can face stigma and disbelief when they come forward.

About three out of every four sexual assaults go unreported, according to the Rape and Incest National Network. And data from the U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics shows that as many as one-fifth of sexual violence survivors who chose not to report their crimes to police cited the fear of retaliation as a primary reason.

The Idaho probe began in March after the intern reported that the lawmaker raped her in his apartment after they went to a Boise restaurant. Von Ehlinger has denied all wrongdoing and maintains they had consensual sex. The Boise Police Department is investigating.

A legislative ethics committee voted unanimously last week that Von Ehlinger engaged in “conduct unbecoming” a lawmaker. He resigned before the full House could vote on whether to remove him from office.

But the harassment faced by Doe did not stop. Members of the far-right are still attacking, some calling her disparaging names and posting her photo.

“You know that photo everyone is posting? I’m 12 years old in that photo. I’m not even a teenager in that photo, and they’re sharing it calling me nasty,” Doe said. “But the truth cannot be altered.”

Doe first began working in the Idaho Statehouse a year ago, helping with legislative committees under the Legislature’s high school “page” program.

She came back this year as an intern, hoping to prepare for a future career in government. She said she agreed to von Ehlinger’s dinner invitation because she was hoping to network and was excited to go to a restaurant that cost far more than what she could afford on her near-minimum wage salary.

After dinner, von Ehlinger brought her back to his apartment rather than her car because he said he’d forgotten something. Once there, Doe said, he pinned her down and forced her to perform oral sex, despite the fact that she said “no” in several ways and froze. Doe is petite, and von Ehlinger is bigger, she said.

“He has a collection of guns. Fight or flight was never an option,” she said.

During the alleged sexual assult, Doe said she tried to focus on something else.

“I got fixated on his curtains because they were bright red — I named them 'American red' in my head, because it was bright like the stripes in the flag,” she said. “I just stared at it ... I will never forget how disgusting I felt.”

She reported the incident two days later. Next came forensic exams, reports to the Idaho attorney general and interviews with the ethics committee. The committee eventually announced a public hearing would be held, making Doe’s complaint public on April 16.

Within hours, von Ehlinger's supporters began publicizing Doe’s identity. One of his attorneys released a letter to the media that included Doe’s real name. Two far-right websites posted Doe’s name and details about her life, and one included her photo.

“I respected them enough not to keep it a secret,” Doe said of von Ehlinger’s fellow lawmakers, "and they destroyed me."

Rep. Priscilla Giddings, a Republican from the tiny community of White Bird, shared the link with Doe’s name and photo in a newsletter to constituents and said the allegations were nothing more than a “liberal smear job.”

She also shared the blog post with thousands of followers on social media, making the intern’s identity widely known. Giddings has not responded to repeated requests for comment from the AP.

Rep. Heather Scott, a Republican from the community of Blanchard, filed a public record request with the city of Boise seeking a copy of the young woman's police report.

Scott approached Rep. Melissa Wintrow, a Democrat from Boise, to ask about how a person who files a false police report alleging sexual assault could be charged. Wintrow is a board member for the Idaho Coalition Against Sexual & Domestic Violence, which is representing Jane Doe.

Scott refused to answer questions from the AP and sent one comment in a short email.

“I dont (sic) think you have your facts straight,” Scott wrote on April 27.

Doe didn’t know her identity had been made public until her next shift at the Statehouse. Right away she could tell the mood around her was different.

“The secretaries let me know that Giddings had done that and they were showing me the article,” Doe said, “and my life is crashing before my eyes.”

She kept showing up for work — partly because the ethics committee told her she needed to be available, she said. But she felt like she was under a magnifying glass.

Lawyers with the attorney general’s office questioned her about her movements around the Statehouse. When she tried to ask the governor for a photo — she’d hoped to collect one for every year she served in the Capitol building — staffers assumed she just wanted to complain, Doe said.

“Nobody had the humanity to even look me in the eye, like I brought shame,” she said. “They made it seem as if everything I do is suspicious.”

Being called to testify publicly at the ethics hearing compounded the pain. She’d already testified in private, only to be stopped when she began the difficult process of describing the alleged rape by a committee member who said it might make both Doe and the committee uncomfortable.

“I was so upset by that,” Doe said.

Doe was shielded from public view during the hearing, and the committee warned everyone her identity should stay private. As Doe left the hearing, some onlookers who were there in support of von Ehlinger rushed out to try to film her.

Boise resident Karen Smith, herself a former Statehouse intern who attended the ethics hearing to support Doe, heard the intern screaming in the hallway after she was accosted.

“I thought, ‘Oh no, somebody needs to maybe go help,’” Smith said.

When Smith found the group, Doe was curled up in a ball on the floor as her legal team tried to shield her with umbrellas. The onlookers were trying to get close to the young woman to videotape her and take photos.

Smith and another person tried to block the onlookers from getting close to Doe, she said.

“There were like eight policeman there, state police, but they were watching and not doing anything and they said, ‘We’re not allowed to take sides.’ So we kept at it,” Smith said.

Though the ethics investigation was not a criminal investigation, criminal trials do provide some guidance for situations like this one where emotions can be expected to run high, said former U.S. Attorney Wendy Olson.

“You have to anticipate what are the risks to this person,” Olson said in a phone interview last week, and take steps including private entrances and exits for witnesses and warning people against retaliating in any way.

“The court always makes it clear that among the worst things you could ever do is try to harass or intimidate a witness,” Olson said.

The alleged rape, harassment and the hearing all made one thing clear, Doe said. She won’t stop fighting until she’s sure the Statehouse has policies in place to prevent anyone else from experiencing the same pain she endured.

“This has all been pushed at me against my will after my repeated attempts at ‘No,'” she said. “But I’m taking my voice back. It’s mine, it’s not theirs.”

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wire..._headlines_hed

Idaho intern reports rape, says lawmakers ?destroyed me?

The harassment began soon after a report by a 19-year-old intern, who alleged an Idaho lawmaker raped her, became public.

One state representative sought a copy of the police report and made inquiries into how the young woman herself could be referred for criminal charges for reporting the alleged rape.

Another shared links to a far-right blog post that included the intern?s name, photo and personal details about her life with thousands of people in a newsletter and on social media.

And members of a far-right, anti-government activist group tried to follow and harass the young woman after she was called to testify in a legislative public ethics hearing.

?I can take criticism. I can take people laying out their opinion on me,? the intern told The Associated Press in a phone interview Sunday evening. ?But this, it?s just overwhelming.?

The AP doesn?t name people who report sexual assault unless they agree to be publicly named. The intern asked to use the name ?Jane Doe,? which is the name she testified under during a legislative ethics committee hearing last week.

The investigation into then-Rep. Aaron von Ehlinger, a Republican from Lewiston, underscores why many alleged sex crimes go unreported.

While the #MeToo movement made it clear that sexual harassment and assault remains a widespread problem, survivors can face stigma and disbelief when they come forward.

About three out of every four sexual assaults go unreported, according to the Rape and Incest National Network. And data from the U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics shows that as many as one-fifth of sexual violence survivors who chose not to report their crimes to police cited the fear of retaliation as a primary reason.

The Idaho probe began in March after the intern reported that the lawmaker raped her in his apartment after they went to a Boise restaurant. Von Ehlinger has denied all wrongdoing and maintains they had consensual sex. The Boise Police Department is investigating.

A legislative ethics committee voted unanimously last week that Von Ehlinger engaged in ?conduct unbecoming? a lawmaker. He resigned before the full House could vote on whether to remove him from office.

But the harassment faced by Doe did not stop. Members of the far-right are still attacking, some calling her disparaging names and posting her photo.

?You know that photo everyone is posting? I?m 12 years old in that photo. I?m not even a teenager in that photo, and they?re sharing it calling me nasty,? Doe said. ?But the truth cannot be altered.?

Doe first began working in the Idaho Statehouse a year ago, helping with legislative committees under the Legislature?s high school ?page? program.

She came back this year as an intern, hoping to prepare for a future career in government. She said she agreed to von Ehlinger?s dinner invitation because she was hoping to network and was excited to go to a restaurant that cost far more than what she could afford on her near-minimum wage salary.

After dinner, von Ehlinger brought her back to his apartment rather than her car because he said he?d forgotten something. Once there, Doe said, he pinned her down and forced her to perform oral sex, despite the fact that she said ?no? in several ways and froze. Doe is petite, and von Ehlinger is bigger, she said.

?He has a collection of guns. Fight or flight was never an option,? she said.

During the alleged sexual assult, Doe said she tried to focus on something else.

?I got fixated on his curtains because they were bright red ? I named them 'American red' in my head, because it was bright like the stripes in the flag,? she said. ?I just stared at it ... I will never forget how disgusting I felt.?

She reported the incident two days later. Next came forensic exams, reports to the Idaho attorney general and interviews with the ethics committee. The committee eventually announced a public hearing would be held, making Doe?s complaint public on April 16.

Within hours, von Ehlinger's supporters began publicizing Doe?s identity. One of his attorneys released a letter to the media that included Doe?s real name. Two far-right websites posted Doe?s name and details about her life, and one included her photo.

?I respected them enough not to keep it a secret,? Doe said of von Ehlinger?s fellow lawmakers, "and they destroyed me."

Rep. Priscilla Giddings, a Republican from the tiny community of White Bird, shared the link with Doe?s name and photo in a newsletter to constituents and said the allegations were nothing more than a ?liberal smear job.?

She also shared the blog post with thousands of followers on social media, making the intern?s identity widely known. Giddings has not responded to repeated requests for comment from the AP.

Rep. Heather Scott, a Republican from the community of Blanchard, filed a public record request with the city of Boise seeking a copy of the young woman's police report.

Scott approached Rep. Melissa Wintrow, a Democrat from Boise, to ask about how a person who files a false police report alleging sexual assault could be charged. Wintrow is a board member for the Idaho Coalition Against Sexual & Domestic Violence, which is representing Jane Doe.

Scott refused to answer questions from the AP and sent one comment in a short email.

?I dont (sic) think you have your facts straight,? Scott wrote on April 27.

Doe didn?t know her identity had been made public until her next shift at the Statehouse. Right away she could tell the mood around her was different.

?The secretaries let me know that Giddings had done that and they were showing me the article,? Doe said, ?and my life is crashing before my eyes.?

She kept showing up for work ? partly because the ethics committee told her she needed to be available, she said. But she felt like she was under a magnifying glass.

Lawyers with the attorney general?s office questioned her about her movements around the Statehouse. When she tried to ask the governor for a photo ? she?d hoped to collect one for every year she served in the Capitol building ? staffers assumed she just wanted to complain, Doe said.

?Nobody had the humanity to even look me in the eye, like I brought shame,? she said. ?They made it seem as if everything I do is suspicious.?

Being called to testify publicly at the ethics hearing compounded the pain. She?d already testified in private, only to be stopped when she began the difficult process of describing the alleged rape by a committee member who said it might make both Doe and the committee uncomfortable.

?I was so upset by that,? Doe said.

Doe was shielded from public view during the hearing, and the committee warned everyone her identity should stay private. As Doe left the hearing, some onlookers who were there in support of von Ehlinger rushed out to try to film her.

Boise resident Karen Smith, herself a former Statehouse intern who attended the ethics hearing to support Doe, heard the intern screaming in the hallway after she was accosted.

?I thought, ?Oh no, somebody needs to maybe go help,?? Smith said.

When Smith found the group, Doe was curled up in a ball on the floor as her legal team tried to shield her with umbrellas. The onlookers were trying to get close to the young woman to videotape her and take photos.

Smith and another person tried to block the onlookers from getting close to Doe, she said.

?There were like eight policeman there, state police, but they were watching and not doing anything and they said, ?We?re not allowed to take sides.? So we kept at it,? Smith said.

Though the ethics investigation was not a criminal investigation, criminal trials do provide some guidance for situations like this one where emotions can be expected to run high, said former U.S. Attorney Wendy Olson.

?You have to anticipate what are the risks to this person,? Olson said in a phone interview last week, and take steps including private entrances and exits for witnesses and warning people against retaliating in any way.

?The court always makes it clear that among the worst things you could ever do is try to harass or intimidate a witness,? Olson said.

The alleged rape, harassment and the hearing all made one thing clear, Doe said. She won?t stop fighting until she?s sure the Statehouse has policies in place to prevent anyone else from experiencing the same pain she endured.

?This has all been pushed at me against my will after my repeated attempts at ?No,'? she said. ?But I?m taking my voice back. It?s mine, it?s not theirs.?

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/cr...related-bottom

. The Tulsa County district attorney felt “disappointment” after a judge granted probation on Friday to a man jurors found guilty of first-degree rape, he said Monday.

But the man’s attorney said the outrage at the court’s decision is “political posturing” and ignores the wide amount of discretion allowed to district court judges.

Malik Omar Vance, 23, received 13 years of probation for first-degree rape after jurors found him guilty of raping a then-18-year-old woman at an east Tulsa apartment in the fall of 2017. An affidavit states that she said she woke up after a night of drinking to find him on top of her and that she “kept telling him no and she tried to move herself away but he kept going.”

A jury found Vance guilty and recommended a 13-year sentence, which District Judge Sharon Holmes opted to suspend when she sentenced him Friday.

“I don’t know what reasoning the court had to put a convicted first-degree rapist who received a 13-year sentence on an 85% crime back on the streets,” Kunzweiler said. “So in essence 12 jurors deliberated — in this case they deliberated for one hour based on the evidence and knew he was looking at 85% of any sentence they gave him.

“They found him guilty … but the court made the determination that probation was appropriate for a first-degree rapist. I certainly disagree with that.”

But Vance’s attorney, Dustin Phillips, said Monday that “Judge Holmes was well within her rights to sentence Mr. Vance to probation.” Kunzweiler acknowledged that Holmes’ decision is not an issue the state can appeal to a higher court.

Jail records show that Vance left the Tulsa County jail Friday night after spending almost two months in custody awaiting his sentencing.

“Mr. (Steve) Kunzweiler claims to be frustrated that Mr. Vance won’t serve any time behind bars, but probation was the offer from his office all along,” Phillips said. “His office even offered probation that wouldn’t require Mr. Vance to register as a sex offender or be a convicted felon.”

Asked about plea negotiations, Assistant District Attorney Alison Nutt said her office did not extend an official offer to Vance. But she and Kunzweiler said it is not unusual for prosecutors to offer deals in felony cases, which often saves people from having to testify about trauma.

“We didn’t really have a whole lot of conversation or negotiation back and forth about getting the case worked out,” Nutt said of Vance’s case. “It was always my understanding that he would not plead to anything other than a misdemeanor, and that was not something I was interested in.”

However, she acknowledged that her office identified the case early on as being potentially more difficult to present during a trial.

“We do have the concern at the back of our head of: ‘Do we put the victim through this in hopes of getting a win? Or do we try to be a bit more conservative?’” Nutt said. “But we were always of the opinion that, if it wasn’t going to get worked out, we were going to go for it (at trial) and take the community’s temperature on how they feel about a case like this.”

Phillips, though, said he believed that the District Attorney’s Office’s public expression of frustration about the resolution of the case is “political posturing — nothing more.”

Kunzweiler responded Monday evening and described his reaction as “disappointment” that a person jurors found guilty of a violent crime is not in prison.

“Mr. Kunzweiler is a politician,” Phillips said. “He knows how to play the game where he appears ‘tough on crime’ with the media but allows his office to make the same plea offers he’s so upset about when the media calls.”

Holmes historically has declined to elaborate on her decisions outside the courtroom but has made comments from the bench. Nutt said that did not occur Friday.

A presentence investigation report was not available for Vance by Monday evening, but its authors can make recommendations to judges for probation, split sentencing or incarceration.

“In my mind it sends the worst possible message to victims of sexual assault,” Kunzweiler said. “Because of how emotional this case was for the victim, she did what she had to do at trial, but she did not want to be present for the sentencing. We had to have a post-sentencing phone call with her, and she is devastated by the court’s decision.”

Nutt said Monday afternoon that a juror learned of Holmes’ decision on the news and called her office to express disagreement with Vance’s receiving probation.

“We wanted to see what a jury thought — and they told us what they thought,” she said.

“And, honestly, despite the ruling that was given on Friday, ultimately their verdict sent us a message that we can go after these cases more aggressively. And we will continue to go after them a lot more aggressively, especially based on how our social climate is changing.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...id=mailsignout

Former Minnesota state trooper texted crash victim’s nude photos to himself

A former Minnesota state trooper who stopped at a crash scene in March 2020 took the victim’s cell phone and texted himself her nude photos, he admitted in court.

Albert Kuehne, 37, of Dayton, pleaded guilty to nonconsensual dissemination of private sexual images as part of a plea deal that saw the state drop a felony count of harassment, the Minnesota Star Tribune reported Wednesday.

Kuehne responded to the one-car crash on March 25 and arrested the 25-year-old woman behind the wheel for suspected drunk driving.

She was hospitalized for treatment and released, according to the criminal complaint. When he got home, her boyfriend noticed on her laptop that her cell phone, which was linked to the computer, had been accessed and nude photos had been sent to an unknown number.

Her boyfriend called the number and Kuehne answered.

The dashcam from Kuehne’s car captured him taking the phone from the woman, then sitting alone in the car while she was being treated.

After the victim reported Kuehne to a lawyer and an investigation was launched, officials searched Kuehne’s phone and found the photos.

Kuehne was put on paid administrative leave on May 20, 2020, and fired on Oct. 2.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...id=mailsignout

Former Minnesota state trooper texted crash victim’s nude photos to himself
    Ugh. What a creep. Gross.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Of course. Let him off easy with no felony so he can get hired at the police station the next town over
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. Poor Brennen Tammons.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    ....or exchanging Puke's wang for spicy nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    I know, right? What the fuck, puke? Willing to take in Boston, an Irish dude and like, 17 dogs but not Ron? poor Ron.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wire...-case-78759730

Former Pennsylvania prosecutor sentenced in sex case

A Pennsylvania county prosecutor who pleaded guilty to pressuring clients for sex when he was a defense attorney was sentenced Friday to 18 months to 5 years in prison.

A judge in Bradford County imposed the sentence on former District Attorney Chad M. Salsman, who had emphatically denied the allegations before pleading guilty in May to witness intimidation, promoting prostitution and obstruction of justice.
    Salsman, 44, a resident of Wyalusing, was charged in February with sexually assaulting women who were his clients in criminal and child custody cases. Sexual assault charges and other counts were dropped as part of a guilty plea agreement.

A Republican, he was elected district attorney in November 2019.

His accusers told a grand jury he groped them, sought nude photos and pressured or forced them into sexual acts, sometimes on his office desk.

Attorney General Josh Shapiro, a Democrat whose office charged and prosecuted Salsman, said Salsman “coerced vulnerable Pennsylvanians because he thought his victims would be easy to silence and less likely to be believed if they ever came forward.”

https://abcnews.go.com/US/ohio-man-c..._headlines_hed

Ohio man charged with hate crime related to alleged plot to commit mass shooting of women-An Ohio man who is a self-proclaimed "incel" was arrested on Wednesday.

Genco also allegedly stated in a written manifesto that he would "slaughter" women "out of hatred, jealousy and revenge."

As part of their investigation into the alleged plot, law enforcement agents reportedly discovered a note that they say was written by Genco indicating his hope to "aim big" and kill up to 3,000 people, according to the DOJ statement. The note also allegedly indicated his intention to attend military training, which investigators found he completed in December 2019.

In March 2020, local police officers reported finding among other items, a firearm with a bump stock attached, several loaded magazines, body armor and boxes of ammunition in the trunk of Genco's vehicle, the DOJ statement said.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    https://abcnews.go.com/US/ohio-man-c..._headlines_hed

Ohio man charged with hate crime related to alleged plot to commit mass shooting of women-An Ohio man who is a self-proclaimed "incel" was arrested on Wednesday.
    His FB: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100009291815734

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/...kinis-n1274453

Norwegian women's beach handball team fined for not playing in bikinis
    While male players are allowed to play in tank tops and shorts, women are required to wear bikini bottoms “with a close fit and cut on an upward angle.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/20/s...ball-team.html

Women’s Handball Players Are Fined for Rejecting Bikini Uniforms

Norway’s beach handball players were each fined 150 euros for wearing shorts rather than the required bikini bottoms. A spokeswoman for the International Handball Federation said she didn’t know the reason for the rule.

https://people.com/style/pink-offers...ni-dress-code/

Pink Offers to Pay Fine for Norwegian Women's Handball Team Over 'Sexist' Bikini Dress Code

Pink is showing her support for the Norwegian women's handball team after they protested a "sexist" dress code.

The three-time Grammy Award winner, 41, offered to pay the team's $1,765.28 fine imposed by the European Handball Federation. The EHF said the women competed in "improper clothing" when they opted for shorts instead of the mandated bikini bottoms at the European Beach Handball Championships.

"I'm VERY proud of the Norwegian female beach handball team FOR PROTESTING THE VERY SEXIST RULES ABOUT THEIR 'uniform,'" Pink wrote on Twitter Saturday. "The European handball federation SHOULD BE FINED FOR SEXISM. Good on ya, ladies. I'll be happy to pay your fines for you. Keep it up."

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/sports/...kinis-n1274453

Norwegian women's beach handball team fined for not playing in bikinis
    While male players are allowed to play in tank tops and shorts, women are required to wear bikini bottoms ?with a close fit and cut on an upward angle.?

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/20/s...ball-team.html

Women?s Handball Players Are Fined for Rejecting Bikini Uniforms

Norway?s beach handball players were each fined 150 euros for wearing shorts rather than the required bikini bottoms. A spokeswoman for the International Handball Federation said she didn?t know the reason for the rule.

https://people.com/style/pink-offers...ni-dress-code/

Pink Offers to Pay Fine for Norwegian Women's Handball Team Over 'Sexist' Bikini Dress Code
    What the ACTUAL fuck?! Honest to Puzz. I would say this is unbelievable, but nothing surprises me anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. Poor Brennen Tammons.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    ....or exchanging Puke's wang for spicy nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    I know, right? What the fuck, puke? Willing to take in Boston, an Irish dude and like, 17 dogs but not Ron? poor Ron.

Thread Information