Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Misogynistic bullshit!

https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...512493382.html

Now a convicted rapist tries to Blame the hero (Original Victims Boyfriend) so he can have a reduced sentence and its been denied.

A Manitoba man who argued a judge did not properly take into account a beating he suffered after he sexually assaulted a sleeping woman has lost a bid to reduce his 42-month prison sentence.

The man, who cannot be identified by name under terms of a publication ban, had sought to reduce his sentence to two years of jail and probation, arguing the injuries he suffered as a result of the beating were a "collateral consequence" of the sex assault and should have been considered a relevant factor in sentencing.

In a written decision released Tuesday, the Manitoba Court of Appeal agreed the sentencing judge failed to consider the consequence of "vigilante justice" on the man, but ruled that it did not render the imposed sentence unfit.

"The assault on the accused was deplorable and called for a severe sentence for (the attacker), but it does not warrant a reduction in the sentence that was imposed on the accused," Justice Holly Beard wrote on behalf of the high court.

The man was convicted of one count of sexual assault, following a trial last year.

Court heard the man had attended a barbecue at a friend's home, Oct. 3, 2015, and spent the night, after having too much to drink. That night, the man entered the master bedroom, where he sexually assaulted a sleeping woman (his friend's girlfriend).

The woman awoke during the assault, at which time the man immediately left the room. The victim then roused her boyfriend, who grabbed a shotgun and ran after the man. The boyfriend broke the man's nose, kicked him in the chest, and shoved the shotgun in his face.

The Crown argued the beating the accused suffered was so closely linked to the sexual assault as to be "almost inevitable."

However, "Having the (victim's) partner grab a shotgun, follow you outside and beat you is not an inevitable consequence of the offence, and it would set a dangerous precedent to accept that argument," Beard said. "Vigilante justice is never acceptable and it cannot be regularized or condoned by a finding that it is 'inevitable.'"

Aside from physical injuries, the man argued he suffered further emotional "collateral consequences" that should have been considered at sentencing, specifically a fear of further reprisal and exclusion from his circle of friends.

"Unlike the physical violence and resulting injuries, which were not inevitable, in my view, it was inevitable that the accused would be excluded from that group of friends and that he would have a fear of reprisal following the sexual assault," Beard said.

"It would be unusual and unexpected, in my view, that they would want to continue a friendship with him."

The man also argued a second ground of appeal, also rejected, that the sentencing judge made improper use of an assessment that found him a medium risk to reoffend and should not have considered it an aggravating factor at sentencing.

"Even if his failure to analyze the finding or his decision to list it as an aggravating factor was an error, there is no indication that the trial judge put any significant weight on the finding," Beard said.

Quote Originally Posted by KambingSociety View Post
    https://www.winnipegfreepress.com/lo...512493382.html

Now a convicted rapist tries to Blame the hero (Original Victims Boyfriend) so he can have a reduced sentence and its been denied.
    Fuck off, Kambing. They're not a hero.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/11/polit...ntv/index.html

Mississippi gubernatorial candidate stands by refusal to allow female reporter to interview him alone, which she says is 'sexism'

A Mississippi Republican gubernatorial candidate on Thursday stood by his decision to deny a female reporter's request to accompany him on a campaign trip unless she brought along a male colleague, a move that she says amounts to "sexism."

"I didn't want to end up in a situation where me and Ms. Campbell were alone for an extended period of time throughout that 15- or 16-hour day, and so out of precaution, I wanted to have her bring someone with her -- a male colleague. The other thing I think it's important to point out is that this is my truck, and in my truck, we go by my rules and that's my rule," state Rep. Robert Foster told CNN's John Berman on "New Day."

Larrison Campbell, a reporter for Mississippi Today who was denied the hours-long interview by Foster, expressed frustration with the situation during the same CNN interview.

"Look, we got to call this what it is: when a woman isn't given access to the same things that a man would be given access to, it's sexism," she said.

Campbell wrote in Mississippi Today on Tuesday that the paper had asked to shadow each gubernatorial candidate seeking the GOP nomination "in an attempt to better inform readers" and that the other two candidates agreed to the request while Foster declined.

On Wednesday, Foster said on a Mississippi talk radio show that having a female reporter with him could create "an awkward situation," and said on Twitter that his Christian faith and marriage were among the reasons to deny her access.

Asked by Berman if the need to exercise "precaution" was because he didn't trust Campbell or himself, Foster said he was worried that the situation may inadvertently create a false impression.

"I trust myself completely, but I don't trust the perception that the world puts on people when they see things and they don't ask the questions, they don't look to find out the truth. Perception is reality in this world, and I don't want to give anybody the opinion that I'm doing something that I should not be doing," he said.

Campbell questioned why the "onus" is on her to bring someone with her for the interview in order to make Foster more comfortable.

"Why is it my responsibility to make you feel comfortable about something that -- you know, that again as your campaign director said on the phone with me -- is this weird request that you have?" she said.

"Let's go back to the 'appearance of impropriety' thing. Why does it appear improper for a man to be with a woman? I mean, why wouldn't a gay affair be construed if he were with a man? Unless, at the end of the day, what you're saying here is a woman is a sexual object first and a reporter second," Campbell later added.

Foster said his rule is "very professional" and noted that the late evangelist Billy Graham and Vice President Mike Pence also maintained the same position.

"I'm a married man and I made a vow to my wife, and part of the agreement that we've also made throughout our marriage is that we would not be alone with someone of the opposite sex throughout our marriage, and that is a vow that I have with my wife," he said, adding that he puts it above "anyone else's feelings, including yours."

They're trying to make it seem like it's a good idea in the wake if #metoo, but it's really just a way to exclude women from professions and opportunity, especially in a state like Mississippi.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/17/polit...ler/index.html

A second Republican candidate for Mississippi governor said he would not be alone with a woman who is not his wife in a professional or personal setting, after fellow candidate state Rep. Robert Foster's decision to deny a female reporter's request to accompany him on a campaign trip for the same reason.

Bill Waller Jr., the former chief justice of the Mississippi Supreme Court, told Mississippi Today that he subscribes to what is known as the "Billy Graham rule," named after the prominent evangelist, in which a man avoids being alone with women other than his wife.

"I just think it's common sense. I just think in this day and time that appearances are important ... transparency's important. And I think that people need to have the comfort of what's going on in government between employees and people. And there's a lot of social issues out there about that," Waller told the news outlet on Monday.

He said his goal "is to not make it an issue so that everyone's comfortable with the surroundings and we can go about our business."

In some instances it is good to avoid being alone with a woman. Has nothing to do with metoo has everything to do with common sense.

Sent before I was done.......

The same is true for women, in some instances its not good for a woman to be caught alone with a man. Just common sense.

https://www.app.com/story/news/local...wn/1760651001/

Judge who cited alleged rapist's 'good family' in court ruling agrees to step down

A judge in Monmouth County facing intense criticism for ruling that a teenage boy accused of rape should not face adult charges in part because he "came from a good family" has agreed to step down, according to a state Supreme Court order issued Wednesday.

Superior Court Judge James G. Troiano, a retired judge who was taking cases on an on-call basis, told the Supreme Court that he did not want to continue serving and would leave the bench effective immediately, according to Chief Justice Stuart Rabner's order.

Troiano has drawn sharp criticism in recent weeks over his decision to bar the Monmouth County Prosecutor's Office from bringing adult charges against a boy accused of sexually assaulting an intoxicated girl at a party in 2017.

In his ruling, Troiano appeared to give deference to the accused, citing his status as an Eagle Scout and the potentially "devastating effect" adult charges would have on his life. An appellate court last month reversed his decision and rebuked Troiano for his remarks.

“[T]his young man comes from a good family who put him into an excellent school where he was doing extremely well,” Troiano said of the accused, according to the appellate court decision. “He is clearly a candidate for not just college but probably for a good college."

The decision drew widespread attention when it came to light and a number of lawmakers and activists demanded Troiano's resignation. On July 11, about 50 people gathered outside the Monmouth County Courthouse to demand the resignations of Troiano and another Superior Court judge also under fire for a decision in a sexual assault case.

The Asbury Park Press is committed to bringing you in-depth coverage of the courts and criminal justice system. Subscribe today for unlimited access to our coverage and to support local journalism.

Protesters said Troiano's remarks underscored why so many sexual assault victims decline to report the crimes. They also highlighted inequities in the criminal justice system, between the affluent and those of lesser means. Activists said Troiano perpetuated "rape culture" by suggesting that a teenage boy deserved leniency because of his social and academic standing

Gov. Phil Murphy said in a statement that he was "gratified" that Judge Troiano will no longer sit on the bench." Murphy previously had stopped short of calling for the judge's resignation, but said his conduct should be investigated.

Troiano's decision was announced just minutes before the Supreme Court said it would begin removal proceedings against Superior Court Judge John F. Russo, who asked an alleged rape victim at a 2016 hearing if she had tried to prevent the attack by closing her legs.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    https://www.app.com/story/news/local...wn/1760651001/

Judge who cited alleged rapist's 'good family' in court ruling agrees to step down
    What a fucking genius.

We have the exact same thing here, but don't have the balls or desire to stand up to it they way they are trying to do. Puerto Rico>USA on trying to overcome misogyny. Sad. Cue certain people saying "what, you're trying to incite riots that makes you dangerous" or something stupid and canned like that. I am not trying to incite riots, just asking why we are ok with misogyny in the USA?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/20/opini...man/index.html

Puerto Rican women warned us. They have been alerting us for years that there is a crisis of violence against women on the island. After Hurricane Maria, the crisis became an emergency. Nonprofits that provide services to survivors of domestic violence reported a surge in requests for help.

Despite the outcry from women, little to nothing was done at the highest levels of government. And now, Governor Ricardo Rossello's leaked chats -- nearly 900 pages in all, published by Puerto Rico's Center for Investigative Journalism — show him, the governor of this country where women are living in crisis, calling women whores and encouraging violence against women elected officials. This is the tipping point for many islanders but especially for the women.

Now, many women say, they understand why their calls have been ignored: the macho culture of Rosello and his boys. Two male members of Rossello's Cabinet who also participated in the chats have resigned in the wake of the scandal, but the governor -- who has apologized for some of his comments, saying they were a way to blow off steam after a day's hard work -- said he will remain.

Women on the island are furious. We all should be. This is a crisis that has been allowed to fester at the expense of the lives of women and children. Rossello must resign.
    According to an ACLU report, Puerto Rico has the highest per capita rate in the world of women over 14 killed by their partners, a number the organization describes as disturbing and climbing. Researchers found that governmental agencies fail to follow protocols, respond, record and investigate crimes of rape and sexual assault. And of the 20,000 domestic violence cases reported to police annually, the ACLU report citing a government office found that only a fraction, 500, result in conviction.

"Just yesterday two more women were killed, and one of them, an 18-year-old, was pregnant," Vilma Gonzalez told me over the phone on Wednesday. Gonzalez, a mother of a 24-year-old daughter, was on her way to the march in San Juan to join hundreds of thousands who are calling on the governor to step down. She is the executive director of Paz Para la Mujer (Peace for Women), a 30-year-old organization that helps victims of domestic violence, and has worked for the organization for 17 years.
    "He and his administration don't take women seriously they think we are all whores. He must step down," she said.

The governor's private chats were homophobic and crass — he made fun of obese people, poverty-shamed a neighbor whose shack was destroyed by the hurricane. He also made fun of the dead. And Rossello showed his disturbing misogyny. In one exchange, Rossello's chief fiscal officer says he is "salivating to shoot" San Juan Mayor Carmen Yul?n Cruz and Rossello's response was: "You'd be doing me a grand favor." In another, Rossello calls former Speaker of New York City Council Melissa Mark-Viverito a whore who should be beaten up. Words are a window into a mindset and also into an administration's culture. Rossello's private chats with a group of male staffers demonstrate just how deeply the personal is political in what some (myself included) call the oldest colony of the USA.

According to the Puerto Rico Governor's Office on Women (Oficina de la Procuradora de las Mujeres), the number of women killed by an intimate partner nearly doubled from 14 in 2017 to 26 in 2018. And the women saw it coming.

"We warned the administration that there was going to be a rise in violence after the hurricane. After a catastrophic event, we know trends. But our warnings have fallen on deaf ears," Gonzalez fumed. Paz Para la Mujer and Seguimiento de Casos, an organization run by a group of retired social workers, are keeping tabs on the murders because women activists don't trust official numbers. They comb news reports and gather numbers from women advocates all over the island. Since the start of 2019, 19 women have been murdered, nine of them by an intimate partner, including a 13-year old girl whose 19-year old boyfriend poured gasoline on her and set her on fire.

Colectiva Feminista en Construcci?n (Feminist Collective in Construction) is among the leading groups calling attention to gender violence on the island. The collective has been leading sit-ins in different parts of the island and in front of the governor's mansion—La Fortaleza. For three days in November 2018, the women held posters with grim statistics. They banged on drums. They chanted. They held vigils. They sang. They yelled. They continue to protest.

"Women are living in abhorrent crisis every single day," bristled Vanessa Contreras, one of the leaders of Colectiva Feminista who have been actively protesting and demanding action by Rossello.

"He did not come out to ask why we're so concerned, why we are so angry," said Gonzalez, who joined the Colectiva Feminsita sit-ins.

Advocates like Gonzalez and Colectiva Feminista say Rossello's words are an offensive reminder of a dark reality too many women are facing.

"The language that the governor expressed in the intimacy with his friends is the same language that we hear from aggressors," Gonzalez said. "I am so furious. We can't allow this violence to be normalized."

Gonzalez and Contreras said that they and thousands of women who advocate on behalf of women will continue to protest every day until Rossello resigns. But they won't stop when he resigns. They will keep pressure on his replacement until the government declares a state of emergency about the epidemic of violence against women. They are also calling for the cancellation of billions of dollars of debt. They want the Financial Oversight and Management Board of Puerto Rico, known on the island as the Junta (the Congressional board that oversees the debt and that has been implementing austerity measures, including closing schools and cutbacks on basic services) to stop imposing more painful cutbacks, some of which target programs that help women.

Calling for a state of emergency, women advocates say, will bring seriousness to the issue of gender violence and direct government funds toward programs to help. They want the issue of violence to be handled holistically—tackling a culture of machismo everywhere from schools to government agencies, to law enforcement.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    We have the exact same thing here, but don't have the balls or desire to stand up to it they way they are trying to do. Puerto Rico>USA on trying to overcome misogyny. Sad. Cue certain people saying "what, you're trying to incite riots that makes you dangerous" or something stupid and canned like that. I am not trying to incite riots, just asking why we are ok with misogyny in the USA?

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/20/opini...man/index.html
    Lets Start a vigilante action and thats what I have been saying all this time. Lets start Creep Catchers but we attack Misogynists this time.

https://www.westhawaiitoday.com/2018...s-compromised/

https://www.statesman.com/NEWS/20180...lleged-groping

https://www.westhawaiitoday.com/2017...um-of-8-years/

I will rather have Vigilantes Killing Misogynists as soon as they are accused!! aND WE NEED TO BRING THIS TO THE USA AND MAKE IT LEGAL TO KILL THESE

Lets Start a vigilante action and thats what I have been saying all this time. Lets start Creep Catchers but we attack Misogynists this time.

I will rather have Vigilantes Killing Misogynists as soon as they are accused!! aND WE NEED TO BRING THIS TO THE USA AND MAKE IT LEGAL TO KILL THESE
    Priveleged people in the form of mercenary attacks once an allegations is out and we need to pardon people who do remove these people like Gatafasi Napoleon.

Let me be perfectly clear. I am NOT advocating vigilantism. I am advocating using legal means (protests, elections, courts) to hold these assholes accountable and not to accept this type of behaviour as just 'locker room talk. But I am not advocating violence or vigilantism.

https://patch.com/minnesota/minneapo...aire-rape-case

MINNEAPOLIS, MN — Minneapolis police have released a cache of texts, videos and photos pertaining to the rape case against Chinese billionaire Richard Liu, founder of JD.com, a Beijing-based e-commerce site. No criminal charges were filed against Liu, also known as Liu Qiangdong, but the accuser later filed a lawsuit against him in April 2019.

Liu was in Minneapolis in August 2018 as part of a program at the University of Minnesota's Carlson School of Management. On Aug. 30, he and a large number of friends and associates went to dinner at an uptown restaurant, Patch reported.

One of the people invited to the dinner was a 21-year-old woman, a Chinese citizen and student at the University of Minnesota. After dinner, the woman rode with Liu and others to a home on Franklin Avenue and, later that evening, to her apartment near the university, a Patch report said.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/30/footb...ntl/index.html

'It's a ruse': USWNT and US soccer fight for moral high ground on equal pay battle

On Monday, US Soccer president Carlos Cordeiro released an open letter on Twitter, saying that from 2010 through 2018 the federation paid $34.1 million in salary and game bonuses to the women, compared to $26.4 million for the men.

Those figures do not include benefits, such as healthcare, that the women receive. Included in the federation's numbers is that US Soccer pays WNT contracted players a salary to play in the National Women's Soccer League, while the men are paid by their individual teams.

The women's and men's compensation structures are different, as those each were collectively bargained.

"In the weeks ahead, we'll focus on preparing for mediation and resolving this matter in the best interests of the WNT and US Soccer," Cordeiro said.

"I want you to know that US Soccer is committed to doing right by our players, and I've been encouraged by the public comments from players expressing their desire for a cooperative approach. I remain optimistic that we can find common ground.

"Together, I believe we can get this done."

In a written statement, a spokesperson for the USWNT players says the figures are misleading.

"This is a sad attempt by USSF to quell the overwhelming tide of support the USWNT has received from everyone from fans to sponsors to the United States Congress," Molly Levinson said in a statement.

"The USSF has repeatedly admitted that it does not pay the women equally and that it does not believe the women even deserve to be paid equally. This is why they use words like 'fair and equitable,' not equal in describing pay.

"The numbers USSF uses are utterly false and, among other things, inappropriately include the NWSL salaries of the players to inflate the women's players compensation. Any apples to apples comparison shows that the men earn far more than the women.

"In the most recent CBA negotiation, USSF proposed a compensation structure that is exactly the same as the MNT's compensation structure but with less compensation across the board. In every instance, win or draw for a friendly or competitive match, the women players were offered less compensation. Equal Pay was never on the table for the women regardless of structure.

"The USSF fact sheet is not a 'clarification.' It is a ruse.

"Here is what they cannot deny. For every game a man plays on the MNT he makes a higher base salary payment than a woman on the WNT. For every comparable win or tie, his bonus is higher.

"That is the very definition of gender discrimination. For the USSF to believe otherwise, is disheartening but it only increases our determination to obtain true equal pay. If the USSF cannot agree to this at the upcoming mediation, we will see them in the court of law and the court of public opinion."

The US Men's National Team said they too "were not impressed" by Cordeiro's letter. "The women's national team players deserve equal pay and are right to pursue a legal remedy from the courts or Congress," the men's team said.

Could it be true that the womens soccer players dont make as much as the men bcz they have less attendance at games, less advertisement(s) etc?

I wonder why the women in the wnba aren't protesting for equal pay?!

https://www.inc.com/bill-murphy-jr/c...mple-math.html

Case Closed: The U.S. Women's Soccer Team Should Definitely Be Paid As Much As the Men (and Probably More), According to Simple Math

If you bother to run the numbers on women's soccer, it becomes clear we should be paying the women at least as much as the men -- and probably even more. Here's why.
    1. The uncaptured market.

This is the single, crucial factor informs a lot of the rationale for paying the women as least as much as the men. Probably more.

It's that there's way more room for the women's game to grow than there is for the men's game. So it makes sense to invest in the women's game now, and build up the U.S. product before the rest of the world can catch up.

It also puts the lie to the argument that if the women don't bring in as much money today (which is very controversial, see below), then they shouldn't be paid as much as the men. Anyone who says that is playing only for the short-term, when U.S. Soccer should be plying for the long term.

Granted, the women's game hasn't been around as long as the men's. The Women's World Cup dates back only to 1991. But if you look at the comparative rate of growth between the two teams, it's exponential and in favor of the women.

Just one example: During the 1995 world tournament, key games attracted an audience of only 3,000 ticket-holding spectators. In 1999, more than 90,000 people watched the U.S. win the final at the Rose Bowl. This year, pre-Finals, the average in-person attendance was more than 37,000.

It makes sense to pay enough to attract the top talent now, performing at the top possible level, and capture as much of the market as possible.
    2. The comparative earnings.

Next up: the argument that women's soccer doesn't bring in as much money as men's soccer. For the overall world game, that's true.

But we're not really talking about the world game right now. We're talking about the Americans.

And during 2016 to 2018, the U.S. women actually brought in more revenue than the men: $50.8 million for the women versus $49.4 million for the men.

Yes, you can argue that this period of time might have been an outlier, since the men embarrassed themselves and their country by failing to qualify for the 2018 World Cup, so their numbers were down.

But comparing apples to apples and dollars to dollars, the women came out ahead.

And, add to that the future revenue from controversial stars like Megan Rapinoe and Alex Morgan, before the men even have a real chance to prove they've regrouped.

I don't care whether you like them or root for them personally (but you should!). There's a reason why the women's jerseys sell a lot more than the men's team right now. And they should be compensated for it.
    3. Exterior market forces.

In almost any market, there are exterior forces that ultimately boost the winners and losers.

For Amazon, there was Jeff Bezos's observation about the insane rate of growth in Internet usage in the 1990s. For Google, there's the completely unearned advantage they're enjoying after President Trump's taxes on competing products from Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo gave them a big advantage.

When it comes to women's soccer, that exterior force isn't just the the mathematical growth of the game, but the way that societal attitudes have radically and quickly changed.

In short, if you're old enough (like me), you can easily remember a time when people used phrases like "run like a girl" as if they were put-downs. Now, I'm happy to admit that I personally know hundreds if not thousands of women who could run faster than me.

Even making the argument that women should be paid less than men for a better performance seems straight out of the Dark Ages. Besides--not that it turns on this--but we're not talking about all the money in the world here.

The U.S. often women make about 40 percent of what the men make. In the World Cup, it's more dramatic: $2 million for the women for winning the World Cup in 2015; $9 million for the men in 2014, when they went 1-2-1 and were knocked out in the round of 16.

So while the numbers are out of whack here, we're only talking about a few million dollars, with a tremendous upside. The U.S. Soccer Federation should find a way to pay it. Case closed.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 07-30-2019 at 02:23 PM.

https://apnews.com/6642da6853604df59958e86891354a2e

WASHINGTON (AP) — A Senate committee on Wednesday approved the nomination of an Air Force general to become the vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, largely discounting an aide’s allegations that he had subjected her to unwanted sexual advances.

Gen. John Hyten flatly denied the allegations during a Senate Armed Services Committee hearing this week, and an Air Force investigation found no evidence to support the accusations.

Hyten’s nomination was opposed by several of the women on the panel, including one Republican, Sen. Joni Ernst of Iowa, a former reserve officer and survivor of a sexual assault while in college. Others voting no were two Democratic presidential contenders, Kirsten Gillibrand of New York, who has made military sexual misconduct one of her top issues in the Senate, and Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts, as well as Tammy Duckworth of Illinois, an Iraq War veteran who lost her legs when her helicopter was shot down.

He got the backing, however, of other key woman on the panel, including Sen. Martha McSally, R-Ariz., who issued a lengthy statement in his defense during the hearing. McSally is a former fighter pilot who has publicly described her own sexual assault that she says occurred while she was in the military.

The vote was 20-7, and Hyten’s nomination now goes to the full Senate for consideration, likely in September.

Gen. John Hyten, President Donald Trump's nominee to be the next vice chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, went before the Senate Armed Services Committee and denied allegations of sexual misconduct Tuesday. (July 30)
    The committee chairman, GOP Sen. Jim Inhofe of Oklahoma, said he was proud of the outcome, saying that the allegation against Hyten “was not believable. There was absolutely no truth to it.”

He said the vote shows that “every question that could have been asked was asked.”

Hyten’s forceful denial comes after several months of delay in the nomination process as senators held five classified sessions, pored over thousands of pages of the investigation and interviewed Hyten and Army Col. Kathryn Spletstoser, the officer who made the allegations.

Spletstoser told The Associated Press that Hyten subjected her to a series of unwanted sexual advances by kissing, hugging and rubbing up against her in 2017 while she was one of his top aides. She said she repeatedly pushed him away and told him to stop, and that he tried to derail her military career after she rebuffed him.

The AP generally does not identify victims of alleged sexual assault, but Spletstoser has allowed her name to be used.

Late Tuesday, the full Senate approved the nomination of David Norquist to be the deputy secretary of defense, marking the first time in seven months that the Pentagon has been led by two Senate-confirmed leaders. Defense Secretary Mark Esper was confirmed by the Senate and sworn in last week.

Former Defense Secretary Jim Mattis stepped down last New Year’s Eve after a series of policy disputes with President Donald Trump. The job has been filled on an acting basis since then.

https://nypost.com/2019/08/01/brian-...-days-in-jail/

A man in Michigan who was convicted of poisoning his wife by spiking her coffee received a sentence of 60 days in jail on Thursday ? which he will serve on the weekends.

Brian Kozlowski, 46 ? whose wife said he tried to kill her by placing eight sleeping pills in her morning coffee ? was handed the sentence after an impassioned plea from the former wife, Therese Kozlowski, according to The Macomb Daily.

?Brian?s continuous, methodical, and calculated plot to poison me included a complete disregard for human life, including his own daughter, along with hundreds of other drivers who he put at risk every day for weeks,? Therese Kozlowski said in court.

?I believe this was attempted murder. Once Brian realized he lost me and there was no getting me to stay in this unhealthy marriage, his goal was to eliminate me.?

Judge Antonio Viviano in Macomb County Circuit Court was inclined to give the man probation until he heard her plea.

The coffee spiking took place during the couple?s divorce in 2018. Therese said she felt tired and sick and had blurred vision after drinking the poisoned coffee.

At one point, the couple?s adult daughter even drank the java.

Judge Viviano claimed that the ex-husband ?does have a sense of remorse.? Viviano then handed him the two-month jail term, to be served on weekends.

The prosecutor in the case called it, ?It?s a slap in the face? to the victim.

https://www.hindustantimes.com/luckn...pQoQbz9S2bYDCU

In a horrifying incident, a man addicted to gambling and alcohol, bet his wife after running out of money and allowed his friends to gang-rapeher after losing the stake.

The incident took place in Jaunpur district and after the incident, the victim went to court when the police refused to take action on her complaint. Following a court order, an FIR has been registered in Jaffarabad police station in Jaunpur district.

The victim, who lives in the Zafarabad police station area, claimed that her husband was an alcoholic and had put her on stake while gambling.

Reprts said her husband’s friend Arun and relative Anil often used to visit their house for drinking and gambling. One particular day, last month, her husband put her on stake while gambling with Anil and Arun. On losing, Arun and Anil gang-raped her.

After the incident, the victim went to her maternal uncle’s house. Her husband followed her there, asking for forgiveness and said that it was a mistake.

After he apologised, she went back with him in his car. On their way, her husband stopped the car and allowed his friends to gang-rapeher once again.

When the woman complained to the police, they refused to file a complaint, following which, the victim approached the court. The court ordered police to register a case of gangrape.

https://abc7.com/sports/uc-riverside...-days/5446385/

RIVERSIDE, Calif. -- The University of California, Riverside says women's basketball coach John Margaritis has been suspended after an investigation revealed a violation of school policy.

The Riverside Press-Enterprise reported Friday that the suspension is for 20 days without pay.

Officials didn't say what policies Margaritis violated. While suspended he will be prohibited from having any contact with his players or staff for practices and games.

When reached for comment, Margaritis declined to speak about the violation. He said he's looking forward to getting back to coaching.

The newspaper says the investigation began earlier this year, after several UCR players brought concerns about their treatment by Margaritis to senior administrators.

Margaritis has coached the Highlanders since 2004. Last year, the team went 17-16, finishing third in the Big West.

https://patch.com/illinois/deerfield...defense-lawyer

DEERFIELD, IL — A longtime North Shore firefighter has been charged with sexually assaulting a woman in Deerfield following a nine-month investigation, according to police and court records. The firefighter denies the allegations. He has filed a union grievance over his firing and hired one of disgraced movie mogul Harvey Weinstein's lawyers to defend him in court.

Cory S. Powers, 40, of the 200 block of Deerfield Road, turned himself in to Deerfield police on July 12 to face a charge of aggravated criminal sexual assault. Later that day, Powers provided the $75,000 cash portion of his bond and was released ahead of trial on the conditions he not possess weapons, not consume alcohol or drugs and not have any contact with the woman he is accused of raping, records show.

Weinstein, 67, a Hollywood film producer, is awaiting trial in New York City on criminal charges he raped women in 2006 and 2013. He has pleaded not guilty and is free on $1 million bail. Weinstein has denied all allegations of nonconsensual sex. Accusations of sexual misconduct from dozens of woman against him contributed to the beginning of the #MeToo movement a year before Powers' arrest. The defense attorney retained by both Weinstein and Powers has described herself as a skeptic of the movement.

The Lincolnshire-Riverwoods Fire Protection District and the Deerfield Police Department conducted independent investigations after a resident of the area reported in October 2018 that Powers, an acquaintance, had raped her in her home the prior month, according to police and fire officials.

Powers is accused of showing up at the woman's back door late on the night of Sept. 18, 2018. Police were told he came in and made himself a drink. The woman went to bed, telling Powers he needed to leave, police said. Instead, Powers forcibly assaulted the woman, causing bleeding and bruises that were later seen by detectives, according to Cmdr. Juan Mazariegos.

"She acted like any normal victim would," Mazariegos said. "We've got the pictures, we've got the text messages that he sent her." Investigators were still awaiting the results of some forensic testing when prosecutors approved the charges last month, he said.

Detectives obtained search warrants for Powers' DNA, cell phone, location data and home security system records in November 2018. An analysis of the phone Powers handed over indicated he had deleted all the information and reset the phone about a week after the incident — the same day he learned of the accusation, according to police.

Information provided by his cell phone company showed that Powers began using a different phone, downgrading from an iPhone X to an iPhone 8 within 60 days of the reported rape. Phone records showed Powers called in sick to work at 3:19 a.m. on the night of the incident, and his home security records suggest he armed the system at 3:42 a.m., detectives learned. Powers denied being at his accuser's house on the night of the incident, according to police.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/14/polit...nts/index.html

Republican Rep. Steve King of Iowa questioned on Wednesday whether there would be any population left on Earth if not for rape and incest.

"What if we went back through all the family trees and just pulled those people out that were products of rape and incest? Would there be any population of the world left if we did that?" he said in Urbandale, Iowa, according to video posted online by the Des Moines Register, which was first to report on the remarks Wednesday.

"Considering all the wars and all the rape and pillage that has taken place ... I know I can't certify that I was not a part of a product of that," King said. "I'd like to think that every one of the lives of us are as precious as any other life," he added.

The remarks came as King was defending not allowing exceptions for abortion in cases of rape or incest.

The Iowa Republican is a controversial and polarizing figure on Capitol Hill who has a track record of making racist comments that have generated backlash across the political spectrum.

In January, House Republicans stripped King of committee assignments, an action that took place after an interview in which he appeared to lament that the term "white supremacist" is considered offensive.

CNN has reached out to King's office for comment, but did not immediately receive a response.

The remarks quickly generated condemnation from Democrats, including JD Scholten, who announced earlier this month that he will once again try to unseat King by running against him in 2020.

In response to the comments, Scholten, who unsuccessfully ran against King in 2018, said the Iowa Republican is pushing a "selfish agenda," and accused him of excusing violence.

"Our congressman continues to push his selfish agenda above the needs of #IA04 -- this time he excuses violence. This isn't what we stand for," the Democratic challenger wrote, including a link to a fundraising page with the message.
    Oh well, there you go...rape and incest are a-ok.

https://abc7news.com/judge-alarmed-b...ttack/5473482/

SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The story of a homeless man caught on camera attacking a San Francisco woman gets more complicated with several bombshells dropped in court Friday morning.

Judge Christine Van Aken saying she saw the video of James Austin Vincent attacking Paneez Kosarian at her condo complex Sunday and was "alarmed."

VIDEO: Woman attacked in front of home by man believed to be homeless

Kosarian says the District Attorney's office informed her that the judge had seen the video. Friday morning in court, we learned that was not the case.

The judge said "because of what I saw in the video, I have additional public safety concerns. Incarceration is not the answer for folks with mental illness and substance abuse problems in all cases."

Judge Van Aken ordered Vincent be outfitted with an ankle monitor because of his mental illness and remain free and under supervision at temporary housing for those in the criminal justice system.

Kosarian continues to be perplexed by some of the decisions in handling the case.

"It doesn't make it better that he went on without anything for a day and a half. This decision should have been the decision she made...and as a judge, you don't get a second chance. This was her second chance to make it better."

Raymond Sullivan is another San Francisco resident who says he was attacked by a homeless person a year and a half ago.

"I'm dealing with PTSD from these attacks."

In his case, the suspect was put in a facility then released...only to harass and attack him and neighbors over and over again.

He shows us a manila envelope and plastic bag stuffed full of restraining orders and police reports from him and nearby community members.

"I think we need to look at the effectiveness of the way the DA is handling it. "

Saleem Belvahri, Deputy Public Defender, said after we pressed where Vincent was "he's in a program right now."

When we asked the DA's office later in the afternoon where Vincent was, we were told "under supervision"...but they would NOT tell us where or with whom.

Late Friday afternoon, City Attorney Dennis Herrera provided a statement to ABC7 News, stating the DA's office should have provided the surveillance video to Judge Van Aken in the first place and called the judge a "tireless champion of the people of San Francisco for years."

Kosarian says she's heard from numerous people who say they have been attacked by homeless people in the city as well. She says she continues to speak out in order to make change for everyone in the city.

Kambing, why are these stories in this thread? I do realize a woman was raped in the one story, but that was absolutely not the subject of the story, and just because the other story involved a coach of a woman's team doesn't mean it has anything to do with misogyny.

The goal of MDS isn't to see how many pointless articles can be posted each day. Try having a reasonable conversation with the members, and if you're going to post post worthwhile articles.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/01/opini...imo/index.html

Donald Trump has a "nasty" problem.

On Wednesday, he called Denmark's Prime Minister, Mette Frederiksen "nasty" after she called his interest in buying Greenland "absurd."

In June, the President called Nancy Pelosi a "nasty, vindictive, horrible person" after a Fox News interviewer brought up a Politico report about Pelosi telling Democrats pushing for impeachment that she'd rather see Trump "in prison" (a Pelosi spokeswoman said she could not confirm the comment).

Trump also lobbed the "nasty" epithet earlier in an interview with the British tabloid, The Sun, in which he was asked about comments the Duchess of Sussex, Meghan Markle, had made in 2016 to TV host Larry Wilmore, calling Trump "misogynistic." "I didn't know that she was nasty," Trump said. "I hope she is OK."

We are, by now, used to the President's name-calling -- it is unpresidential and gauche.

But "nasty" is one that rings out with some significance: He seems to reserve it for women. Recall Trump infamously interrupting Hillary Clinton during the last debate of his 2016 presidential campaign to call her "a nasty woman," a remark so obviously gendered that many women responded by trying to reclaim it. One website that began selling "Nasty Woman" T-shirts reported that its design went viral overnight, generating tens of thousands of orders.

That Trump chose to hurl the same insult at Markle, while trying to defend himself against her 2016 claim that he is misogynistic, is ironic. That he jabbed at Pelosi in the same way, even after taking criticism over the Markle jab, is telling. That he did again with the Danish Prime Minister ... well we have a pattern here.

It would be nice to be able to ignore this sophomoric behavior at this point in this presidency. But it's critical that we never become numb to it. To do so would be to ignore the consequences it can carry for women. A misogynist can't be expected to acknowledge discrimination and abuse, much less fight for leaders and legislation that would protect women from it. And the country must demand better.

Indeed, after decades of feminist gains, the belief that women exist to cater to men's egos and desires was -- we had reason to believe -- on its way out, until Trump revived it. Now, Trump signals too often through word and action that it is acceptable. Consider, for example, that several of Trump's advisers and appointees have been accused of enabling abuse toward women or misogyny.

And the President's choice (since withdrawn) for the Federal Reserve Board, Stephen Moore, has been arguing against gender parity for 25 years (he responded to some of the criticism he's drawn for it by saying he was joking).

Of course, Trump has long defended his often-troubling history with women by pointing to all the senior women he has surrounded himself with in his company and administration. That's a fair point, but it only proves that he isn't a sexist. He is, however, a misogynist. There's a difference.

Cornell University philosophy professor Kate Manne explains in her 2018 book, "Down Girl: The Logic of Misogyny," that "sexism taken alone involves believing in men's superiority to women in masculine-coded, high-prestige domains (such as intellectual endeavors, sports, business, and politics), and the naturalness or even inevitability of men's dominance therein."

Trump has hired a number of women in very senior positions. These include White House counselor Kellyanne Conway, the first woman ever to lead a winning presidential campaign by a major party; his daughter Ivanka Trump, a key adviser; and Gina Haspel, head of the CIA.

And there is Barbara Res, who worked at the Trump Organization for more than 10 years in roles including senior vice president; and Louise Sunshine, who worked for Trump at the Trump Organization for 15 years and later became executive vice president of the organization.

Powerful women given serious authority -- he's shown he's not a sexist.

But the misogyny is another story, as Markle discerned. Manne argues that misogyny involves punishing women who don't act the way men want them to. This is exactly what Trump does, and he does it publicly. He called Pelosi, Markle and Clinton "nasty." He called one-time aide Omarosa Manigault "that dog" after she wrote unflatteringly about him. He said then Fox News anchor Megyn Kelly had "blood coming out of her wherever" after she asked him tough questions at a debate. He said Mika Brzezinski was "bleeding badly from a facelift" after she criticized him.

He called Rosie O'Donnell a "pig." There are many more instances -- too many to recount here -- of Trump's personal attacks on women who challenged him, mainly aimed at appearance and intelligence. (US Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand is a "lightweight;" Arianna Huffington and Bette Midler are "unattractive;" and Stephanie Clifford is a "horseface.")

Of course, such gendered insults would rarely, if ever, be applied to men. Manne wrote one way to identify misogyny is to contemplate whether men in comparable positions would get the same treatment. Many people mistakenly think misogyny involves hating all women, but "misogynists can love their mothers," wrote Manne. "Not to mention their sisters, daughters, wives, girlfriends, and secretaries ...They need not hate women universally, or even very generally. They tend to hate women who are outspoken, among other things."

Since we are accustomed to Trump's beyond-the-pale statements, why does the way the President speaks about Mette Frederiksen, Nancy Pelosi, Meghan Markle, Hillary Clinton or "wacky" US Sen. Jacky Rosen matter?

Simply, because he's the most-high profile person in America. His comments set the tone for our national discourse and for the way others -- including ordinary citizens and the federal government -- treat women in every realm of life.

As we approach the 2020 race, women and those who care about them need to think about whether it is in their interest -- and the interest of their daughters (and sons) -- to keep an inveterate misogynist in the White House as America leans into its future.

Thread Information