Page 651 of 1080 FirstFirst ... 151 551 601 641 649 650 651 652 653 661 701 751 ... LastLast
Results 16,251 to 16,275 of 26991

Thread: Celeb Gossip

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McMama View Post
    I can agree with the gist of this. Let him on the team (even with the privileges he had to make the team), don't give him the financial scholarship.
    Haha, I'm not saying ban him. I'm just saying he shouldn't get anything paid for. It should be impossible to earn it when you have THAT much of a safety net.

Ditty Daddy should pay for some kid's tuition or something.

This guy makes so much money he literally wouldn't notice if I stole the cost of tuition from him. It's insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    Haha, I'm not saying ban him. I'm just saying he shouldn't get anything paid for. It should be impossible to earn it when you have THAT much of a safety net.

Ditty Daddy should pay for some kid's tuition or something.

This guy makes so much money he literally wouldn't notice if I stole the cost of tuition from him. It's insane.
    I know you weren't saying "ban him", silly. I wasn't either.
    I was agreeing that he--no doubt--had privileges others didn't to earn his athletic scholarship, and there's no reason his family's financial worth couldn't have been taken into consideration before offering him the scholarship.

sucks to your ass-mar Nancy Drew's Avatar
    I can agree with the gist of this. Let him on the team (even with the privileges he had to make the team), don't give him the financial scholarship.
    See, I think that's a slippery slope. (I just typed "sticky slope..." Brain. Gone.) He earned the scholarship; his daddy's money shouldn't take that away from him. He's not the first rich kid who got a scholarship, and he won't be the last. He's just famous.

He's an asset to their school, and they want him there. That's what scholarships are about.

I say this as someone who currently owes $117k in student loans to the University of Spoiled Children.
    oMG, yeah, no, AMY is in no way superior to Tara. Never.

It is a slippery slope, so I tried to look at it from both sides when I initially read the article this afternoon. He did earn it but it seems that someone with that amount of financial worth would step up and accept the team spot, yet decline the financial scholarship. I never played on a sports team in college (unless being a drunk whore counts?) so I'm unsure how that all works. I just know that I was a poor kid and paying off tuition blows and makes me want to stick my pinky in a meat grinder.

It is a slippery slope, so I tried to look at it from both sides when I initially read the article this afternoon. He did earn it but it seems that someone with that amount of financial worth would step up and accept the team spot, yet decline the financial scholarship. I never played on a sports team in college (unless being a drunk whore counts?) so I'm unsure how that all works. I just know that I was a poor kid and paying off tuition blows and makes me want to stick my pinky in a meat grinder.
    Oh yeah, me too. But it's not necessarily that that money would have gone to someone who really needed it. Also, I have rich friends (WHY AM I NOT TAKING ADVANTAGE OF THIS?) whose parents didn't pay dick for them to go to college. I'm guessing that's not the case here, but who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Drew View Post
    See, I think that's a slippery slope. (I just typed "sticky slope..." Brain. Gone.) He earned the scholarship; his daddy's money shouldn't take that away from him. He's not the first rich kid who got a scholarship, and he won't be the last. He's just famous.

He's an asset to their school, and they want him there. That's what scholarships are about.

I say this as someone who currently owes $117k in student loans to the University of Spoiled Children.
    Jeebus Christ.

But how is it a slippery slope? There's a cut off, and people who exceed the cutoff don't get financial help. Problem solved. Are they going to keep raising or lowering the amount? I don't see how you make a rule like this and it leads to anything else.

Jeebus Christ.

But how is it a slippery slope? There's a cut off, and people who exceed the cutoff don't get financial help. Problem solved. Are they going to keep raising or lowering the amount? I don't see how you make a rule like this and it leads to anything else.
    But the rule is for financial assistance, not scholarships, no? Seriously, almost anyone can get scholarships. You have Crohn's disease? Scholarship. Your dad was in the circus? Scholarship.

I know this because I edited a book on it, and I was like HOLY SHIT, WHERE WAS THIS BOOK FIVE YEARS AGO?

But the rule is for financial assistance, not scholarships, no? Seriously, almost anyone can get scholarships. You have Crohn's disease? Scholarship. Your dad was in the circus? Scholarship.

I know this because I edited a book on it, and I was like HOLY SHIT, WHERE WAS THIS BOOK FIVE YEARS AGO?
    You ass.

But yea, I'\m saying make that rule for scholarships too. If you make too much, you're ineligible. It's pretty simple, and extremely fair.

It can't be that bad though (scholarship thing). I know when I get letters from the UNCF I fucking rage scream cause I'm expecting a check.....but they're asking me for money!

You ass.

But yea, I'\m saying make that rule for scholarships too. If you make too much, you're ineligible. It's pretty simple, and extremely fair.

It can't be that bad though (scholarship thing). I know when I get letters from the UNCF I fucking rage scream cause I'm expecting a check.....but they're asking me for money!
    I'm not necessarily disagreeing that it shouldn't be a rule, if the parents consent to pay- but again, some parents don't pay for any of their kids' tuition.

I get shit all the time from USC. They've even started CALLING me. I'm like, how about I get a job with my worthless degree first, then we'll talk about "only giving us a $100/month donation, if that's all you can do." When that girl said that to me, I almost shit bricks.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing that it shouldn't be a rule, if the parents consent to pay- but again, some parents don't pay for any of their kids' tuition.

I get shit all the time from USC. They've even started CALLING me. I'm like, how about I get a job with my worthless degree first, then we'll talk about "only giving us a $100/month donation, if that's all you can do." When that girl said that to me, I almost shit bricks.
    Tough shit. Some parents can't. If your family is worth millions, you're not getting the scholarship. Simple as that.

How is it OK to say "tough shit" to people with no safety net, but not to people whose family can write a check and cover the entire 4 years?

And I bet the girl calling you makes $10/hour.

Tough shit. Some parents can't. If your family is worth millions, you're not getting the scholarship. Simple as that.

How is it OK to say "tough shit" to people with no safety net, but not to people whose family can write a check and cover the entire 4 years?
    The problem is that rules are being made and defined by rich bastards who don't want to pay for their kids to go to school. And what if that kid whose mom made 25K a year actually went to school for free, landed a job, and bettered his situation? Well, that would be terrible because then that kid wouldn't spend money on lottery tickets that go to fund merit based scholarships for rich kids.

I say fuck everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

Quote Originally Posted by jeneria View Post
    The problem is that rules are being made and defined by rich bastards who don't want to pay for their kids to go to school. And what if that kid whose mom made 25K a year actually went to school for free, landed a job, and bettered his situation? Well, that would be terrible because then that kid wouldn't spend money on lottery tickets that go to fund merit based scholarships for rich kids.
    Touche. I shouldn't have questioned rich people. It won't happen again.

That's not fair, though. I went to high school with a guy whose parents were loaded, and they didn't give him a penny for college. So yeah, I don't think it's OK to say "tough shit" to him, just because his family CAN (but WON'T) write a check.

I'm sure she does. I make about $1.50 more than that an hour so I guess I should be grateful.

That's not fair, though. I went to high school with a guy whose parents were loaded, and they didn't give him a penny for college. So yeah, I don't think it's OK to say "tough shit" to him, just because his family CAN (but WON'T) write a check.

I'm sure she does. I make about $1.50 more than that an hour so I guess I should be grateful.
    I guess we just disagree here.

Man, you'd think she wouldn't get all crabby when she's soliciting money. But I guess if she thinks you guys are loaded that can make you a bit sassy when you get a no.

Quote Originally Posted by g r ee n ey e s View Post
    I say fuck everyone.
    Someone needs a hug today!

I guess we just disagree here.

Man, you'd think she wouldn't get all crabby when she's soliciting money. But I guess if she thinks you guys are loaded that can make you a bit sassy when you get a no.
    She wasn't crabby. She just didn't understand that when I said, "I currently work two full-time jobs so that my daughter can eat, and haven't begun to pay off my USC loans (for an extremely hard-earned degree that has done absolutely nothing for me)," that I meant, "I do not want to give you $1,000 a month, or $500 a month, or $100 a month, or a high-five."

She wasn't crabby. She just didn't understand that when I said, "I currently work two full-time jobs so that my daughter can eat, and haven't begun to pay off my USC loans (for an extremely hard-earned degree that has done absolutely nothing for me)," that I meant, "I do not want to give you $1,000 a month, or $500 a month, or $100 a month, or a high-five."
    Would you give Green a high-five? She fucking needs it.

Someone needs a hug today!
    I think I am getting my period.

Quote Originally Posted by MoonDancer View Post
    And apparently you fuck the mods here.

The difference is that UCLA is a strict academic school. Im sure this kid had other offers to go places but chose UCLA. Ucla can't recruit like other schools because their academic standards are higher.

Also you have to imagine what bringing in P Diddy and his son does for the school. First off, you think Diddy wont be putting money into the school? Think he wont be contributing to the booster program? Also now you got another rich alumni who will be putting more money into the school for the rest of his life. Also it gives the school publicity in their athletic program which is a big money factor. (yes the athletic money goes to other things other than just sports)

Not giving him a scholarship would make him "that kid" meaning it would give off the impression that he didn't earn jack shit. Do that and Diddy son may be bouncing after a year and there go that diddy money.

The funny part is that this move is actually all for the betterment of the university and its students.
    And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncy View Post
    The difference is that UCLA is a strict academic school. Im sure this kid had other offers to go places but chose UCLA. Ucla can't recruit like other schools because their academic standards are higher.

Also you have to imagine what bringing in P Diddy and his son does for the school. First off, you think Diddy wont be putting money into the school? Think he wont be contributing to the booster program? Also now you got another rich alumni who will be putting more money into the school for the rest of his life. Also it gives the school publicity in their athletic program which is a big money factor. (yes the athletic money goes to other things other than just sports)

Not giving him a scholarship would make him "that kid" meaning it would give off the impression that he didn't earn jack shit. Do that and Diddy son may be bouncing after a year and there go that diddy money.

The funny part is that this move is actually all for the betterment of the university and its students.
    In theory, you're right. Knowing that Diddy's kid goes to the school might help in PR, advertising, and a slight bump in admissions (but championships do much more for all of that; LSU saw a 100% uptick in out-of-state applications with each championship appearance). My experience in higher education tends to not be so positive.

The general student body rarely benefits from benefactors. The money either goes to specific departments (labs, equipment, etc used mostly by graduate students and faculty), buildings (but not maintenance budget so if things go wrong, the school is on the hook for repairs and upkeep), or into the athletic facilities (weight rooms, additions to the stadium in the form of high-end corporate boxes). Some people do give money for computer labs, libraries, and scholarship funds, but if they want to get their name on something, they'll donate for a very specific cause (private planes, buses, airports, alumni centers) that benefits only a specific few.

Diddy could prove me wrong and pony up for dorms or something that's really needed, but I wouldn't bet on it.

All of this to say: as it stands, the kid earned the scholarship and that's all that matters. He's not the problem, the system is.

Quote Originally Posted by jeneria View Post
    In theory, you're right. Knowing that Diddy's kid goes to the school might help in PR, advertising, and a slight bump in admissions (but championships do much more for all of that; LSU saw a 100% uptick in out-of-state applications with each championship appearance). My experience in higher education tends to not be so positive.

The general student body rarely benefits from benefactors. The money either goes to specific departments (labs, equipment, etc used mostly by graduate students and faculty), buildings (but not maintenance budget so if things go wrong, the school is on the hook for repairs and upkeep), or into the athletic facilities (weight rooms, additions to the stadium in the form of high-end corporate boxes). Some people do give money for computer labs, libraries, and scholarship funds, but if they want to get their name on something, they'll donate for a very specific cause (private planes, buses, airports, alumni centers) that benefits only a specific few.

Diddy could prove me wrong and pony up for dorms or something that's really needed, but I wouldn't bet on it.

All of this to say: as it stands, the kid earned the scholarship and that's all that matters. He's not the problem, the system is.

The upper level things you talk about in terms of going to research all contribute to the university and it's higher standards of education. This is why some of the brightest minds go there. That is why it is one of the top schools on the west coast. So it all goes hand in hand to me. It's all tied together. I'll even add to your point, it not only benefits the students but others in the community who aren't even students.

Admissions isn't the issue. UCLA is backed up and rejects most that apply. It's about getting more dual athletes/students to come here and at the same time, hey add some more money to the school. Money for athletics is something that a school like UCLA doesn't put focus on. Hell they don't even have their own football stadium and just recently are redoing their old ass basketball gym. If there is any school that reallocates the money the correct way, it's UCLA.
    And affirmative action is a very nice term for racial discrimination against better-qualified white people in jobs, employment, promotions and scholarships, and college admittance.

Quote Originally Posted by Chauncy View Post
    The upper level things you talk about in terms of going to research all contribute to the university and it's higher standards of education. This is why some of the brightest minds go there. That is why it is one of the top schools on the west coast. So it all goes hand in hand to me. It's all tied together. I'll even add to your point, it not only benefits the students but others in the community who aren't even students.

Admissions isn't the issue. UCLA is backed up and rejects most that apply. It's about getting more dual athletes/students to come here and at the same time, hey add some more money to the school. Money for athletics is something that a school like UCLA doesn't put focus on. Hell they don't even have their own football stadium and just recently are redoing their old ass basketball gym. If there is any school that reallocates the money the correct way, it's UCLA.
    And the reason that they make sports a big deal is that alumni tend to care A LOT about sports/Greek life, and it effects donations.

And the reason that they make sports a big deal is that alumni tend to care A LOT about sports/Greek life, and it effects donations.

Yes, exactly!

Senior Member TheFavoriteDaughter's Avatar
    You ass.

Believe it or not, being a white, middle class female makes it extremely difficult to get scholarships. I know, first world problems but I was turned down for many scholarships because of that and I was struggling just as much as the next schmuck. But.... scholarships are completely private. People can give them to whom they want for whatever reason they want. Shit's too regulated as it is.
    He deserved it based on the requirements of the scholarship. Whether anyone likes it or not.
    Suzanne Knight (21) brutally raped and devoured 3 toddlers while on a meth binge before hanging herself Marky69: If those toddlers didnt want to be eaten then they shouldnt of looked so god damned delicious. RIP Suzanne

Thread Information