Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Botham Shem Jean (26) Was Shot By A Dallas Police Officer Who Claims She Mistook His Apartment For Her Own

Botham Shem Jean (26) Was Shot By A Dallas Police Officer Who Claims She Mistook His Apartment For Her Own

This is so fucked

https://m.facebook.com/botham.jean?ref=content_filte

https://twitter.com/bsjean369

His uncle in St Lucie

https://m.facebook.com/earl.jean.986?fref=nf

https://www.wfaa.com/mobile/article/...ment/591760228

Man shot, killed by off-duty Dallas police officer who walked into wrong apartment
    Dallas police say one of their officers was going home after her shift when she walked into the wrong apartment and shot and killed the man inside.
    NEWS 7 minutes ago

Author:
    Alisha Ebrahimji
    Published:
    1:32 AM CDT September 7, 2018
    Updated:
    8:06 AM CDT September 7, 2018

Dallas, TX ? Dallas police say one of their officers was going home after her shift when she walked into the wrong apartment and shot the man inside.

The officer was in full uniform just after 10 p.m. Thursday evening when she walked into an apartment unit she believed to be her own at the 1200 block of South Lamar, about a quarter-mile from the Dallas Police Department.

The victim has been identified as 26-year-old Botham Shem Jean.

While inside, she pulled her firearm and shot Jean. He later died at the hospital from his injuries.

The unnamed officer is now on administrative leave. DPD says they are conducting a joint investigation with the DA.

This is a developing story and we will be continuously updating throughout.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by blighted star; 09-07-2018 at 03:13 PM.

From a neighbour. I bet this cop claims her card was programmed incorrectly & unlocked his door.

Nope, not a keycard fuck up. Apparently she was on the wrong floor, her card wasn't working & she shot him when he came to the door to see what was going on.

https://heavy.com/news/2018/09/botham-shem-jean/

By Jessica McBride
    Updated Sep 7, 2018 at 6:32pm

Botham Shem Jean was identified as the 26-year-old businessman from a Saint Lucian family of parliamentarians who was shot and killed by a white female Dallas police officer who authorities say accidentally went into Jean?s apartment, thinking it was her own.

The cop wasn?t in her apartment; she was in his, and she had no reason to be there, police acknowledged in a statement. She then shot him, authorities say. Dallas Police Chief Renee Hall said at a press conference that investigators are working to obtain an arrest warrant charging the officer with manslaughter. The officer?s name will be released when she is charged, Hall told reporters Friday afternoon. The officer, who is not in custody, worked in patrol. Hall said her department requested the Texas Rangers conduct an independent investigation into the shooting. Hall said when they first responded to the call, they believed it was an ?officer-involved shooting,? but the circumstances changed as more details were revealed, creating, ?a very unique situation.? She said, ?We have ceased handling it under our normal protocol as an officer-involved shooting.?

Botham Shem Jean, a recent college graduate known for his leadership and singing voice in church, was originally from the Caribbean island nation of Saint Lucia, and, according to their Facebook comments and tributes, he was the pride of his family, a young man who came to America to study accounting and for whom great things were expected.

Botham Shem Jean, whose nickname was ?Bo,? comes from a prominent family in Saint Lucia. According to St. Lucia Times, Jean was the son of Allison Jean, described as ?former Permanent Secretary in the Ministry of Education, Innovation, Gender Relations and sustainable Development? and Bertram Jean, who was a store supervisor for Water and Sewerage Company Inc., known as WASCO. His uncle, Ignatius Jean, is ?Chief Executive Officer of the Caribbean Water and Sewerage Association Inc. (CAWASA) and former government Minister and Parliamentarian,? St. Lucia Times reported.

On LinkedIn, Botham Jean described himself as an ?aspiring young professional? who was ?engaged in developing a career built upon integrity, dedication and relationships, leveraging useful technologies to gain an understanding of and add value in a range industries, striving towards leadership in my career, my community and society.? He was working in Dallas as a risk assurance associate for PricewaterhouseCoopers, according to his LinkedIn page. In college, he was president of a Young Leaders group.

A former classmate who attended college with Jean in Arkansas, Landis Tindell, told Heavy in an email that he was a ?great leader on our campus.? Tindell explained, ?He was a campus leader. Very active in leading worship and campus student government. I don?t think there was a student on campus who didn?t know Botham. He was always friendly, always smiling, and just all around a great person.?

Here?s what you need to know:

1. Police Say the Police Officer Was in Full Uniform & Had Just Finished Her Shift When She Mistakenly Entered Jean?s Apartment

Although the officer has not yet been identified, police did lay out some of the details relating to what happened. ?On September 6, 2018 at about 9:59 p.m., an off duty Dallas Police officer called police dispatch and said she was involved in a shooting at the apartments located at 1210 S. Lamar,? they wrote.

?Preliminary information suggests that the officer arrived home in full uniform after working a full shift. The officer reported to the responding officers that she entered the victim?s apartment believing that it was her own. At some point, the officer fired her weapon striking the victim. Responding officers administered aid to the victim, a 26-year-old male, at the scene. The victim was then transported to the hospital and pronounced deceased.?

Dallas Police told Fox 4 News? Steve Eagar that the officer was on the wrong floor of the apartment building, the South Side Flats, when the shooting occurred. Her apartment was on another floor, Eagar reports. ?Her key didn?t work in the door. Shooting happened shortly after resident opened his own door,? he wrote on Twitter. He said she was continuing to try to open the door with her key when the door was opened.

Police Chief Renee Hall said at a press conference she does not know when the officer?s shift ended. A blood draw was taken from the officer to test for drugs and alcohol, Hall said. She told reporters, ?we are in the process of obtaining a warrant based on the circumstances that we have right now.?

Jean was identified by the Dallas Morning News and relatives on social media, not police, as the victim. The Morning News asked the police whether the officer mistakenly thought Jean was an intruder ? in Jean?s own apartment.

?I won?t go into that information right now,? Dallas police spokesman Sgt. Warren Mitchell said to the newspaper. ?I mean, we have not interviewed her, and like I said this is just a preliminary statement. We still have a lot to do in this investigation. ? This is all we can give you at this time.? Hall said at a later press conference that the officer still had not been interviewed.

Hall told reporters ?it?s not clear what interaction was between them, but at some point, she fired her weapon, striking the victim. She called 911, officers responded in about four minutes. Dallas Fire Rescue also responded and took Mr. Jean to the hospital, where he later died. At the very early stages of this investigation early indications were that we were dealing with an officer-involved shooting. However, as we continued the investigation it became clear we were dealing with much of what appears to be a very unique situation. Therefore, we have ceased handling it under our normal officer-involved shooting protocol.?

Hall said the fact the officer was off duty changed it from being an officer-involved shooting investigation.

?At my request we are in the process of obtaining a warrant based on the circumstances that we have right now,? Hall said. ?We have also invited the Texas Rangers to begin an independent investigation. They have just arrived a moment ago and they are currently being briefed. I?ve spoken with the Jean family, his sister, Alissa, specifically. My condolences have been given to them and we have reassured them that we are working diligently and we have invited an outside agency to investigate this. Right now there are more questions than we have answers. We understand the concerns of this community and that is why we are working as vigorously and meticulous as we can to ensure the integrity of this case and the integrity of the department is upheld. In doing so, we hope to bring understanding and clarity to the family.?

At a press conference, which you can watch above, Hall said, ?My condolences to the Botham Shem Jean family. We want to be and we will be as transparent in this investigation as we can be.? She added, ?We ask that you, this community and the media work alongside of us in this process.? Hall spoke only briefly at the press conference and took limited questions, walking out as angry reporters yelled questions at her, saying they had more to ask about what is a ?big story.? She ignored their questions and left the room. The press conference had already been delayed about an hour when she came out.

A family member of Jean told St. Lucia Times that he lived in a gated community in Dallas and alleged that ?the police officer?s key was found in the lock of the door of the apartment belonging to the deceased, after she tried unsuccessfully to open it.? Hall said at the press conference she does not know if the officer knew Jean.

Caitlin Simpson, a 20-year-old resident of the apartment building, told the Dallas Morning News she heard a lot of noise Thursday night. ?It was, like, police talk: ?Open up! Open up!'? she told the newspaper.

2. Botham Shem Jean?s Uncle Called It ?the Worst Day of My Life Thus Far? & Church Officials in Arkansas Remembered His Beautiful Singing Voice & ?Spirit of Joy?

Jean?s mother Allie Jean told NBC News: ?He did no one any wrong.? The shooting occurred at an upscale apartment complex called South Side Flats not far from downtown Dallas, NBC reported.

?Somebody has to be crazy not to realize that they walked into the wrong apartment,? Allie Jean said. ?He?s a bachelor. Things are different inside,? Allie Jean told NBC. His sister, Alissa Charles-Findley, wrote on Facebook: ?Just last week I was thinking of what to get you for your birthday, now I have to go pick out your casket. You will always be my baby brother. I love you with all of my heart Botham Shem Jean. Until we meet again my love.?

Botham Shem Jean?s uncle Earl Jean, who is a coach from Saint Lucia, posted a photo tribute to his deceased nephew on Facebook.

?My heart goes with you my boy?never thought this day would come ,wanted to be there for you always my boy ?how can this nasty world take you away from me ?.this is the worst day of my life thus far?.uncle loves you so much ?there goes Mr.botham shem Jean?.iam lost for words?part of me has left !Gone with the Angel?s ?.lord keep me sane,? wrote a heartbroken Earl Jean.

Jean?s family members repeatedly expressed pride in him on Facebook. On a photo of Jean wearing a suit and tie, another relative wrote, ?This is my work of art ? dedicated, committed, hard-working, intelligent ? Vote Botham for President!?

General Manager of WASCO Edmund Regis told St. Lucia Times that the company was extending sympathies to Jean?s family, saying, ?this is undoubtedly what can only be described as a difficult time of bereavement for the Jean family.?

<<snipped>>

cont'd

In Arkansas, while attending college, Jean was involved in the College Church of Christ. ?He led singing often in HU Chapel and at the College Church of Christ in Searcy,? Glenn Dillard, Harding?s assistant vice president for enrollment management, said to The Christian Chronicle. ?He had a beautiful voice.?

Tracy Moore, a preacher who knew Jean through church, told the Christian news site, ?I used to go to the Caribbean Lectures and met him there. An impressive young man. A powerful singer and always a spirit of joy that flowed from him.? Christian Chronicle reported that Jean and his family are involved in Church of Christ in Saint Lucia as well. He was known for running the technology for a series of church lectures in the Caribbean.

He appears in this video of a church lecture.

3. Botham Shem Jean Studied Accounting at a Christian College in Arkansas & Was a Leader on Campus Who ?Really Stood Out?

On Facebook, Botham Shem Jean wrote that he had studied ?accountancy? at Harding University. He also studied at Sir Arthur Lewis Community College, went to St. Mary?s College, and was from Castries, Saint Lucia. At St. Mary?s, Jean studied accounting and mathematics, and was the Young Leaders president and on the debate teams and in the choir.

His Facebook page said that he had lived in Searcy, Arkansas. He wrote in 2013, ?I miss St. Lucian food :( I really want a breadfruit, dasheen, greenfig and saltfish now.?

The posts from Arkansas, which are a couple years old, include updates from Jean that say things like this, ?8 hours of accounting?coming right up.? Harding University is a private college in Searcy, so it appears Jean was there to study accounting several years ago. A former classmate confirmed this in an email to Heavy, writing, ?I went to Harding with Botham. I can confirm he graduated from there and was living in Dallas. A great leader on our campus and will be missed.?

The university released a statement to the Dallas Morning News that read, ?We?re all deeply grieved. He was just one of those people who really stood out, with his voice and his leadership.? Arielle Butler wrote on Twitter, ?I was lucky enough to attend the same university as Botham and he was an awesome guy and leader. No one in the world deserves to meet their end in this way.?

He graduated from college in 2015, news reports say. ?I always saw Botham around campus. He always wanted to lead in chapel in whatever way he could. He was always so nice and so kind. He was definitely a light at Harding ? one who I could never forget. Prayers for his family and friends,? wrote Amy Johnson on Twitter.

Another man who knew Botham in college wrote Heavy, ?Botham was a member of social club Sub T-16, one of the oldest and largest social clubs at Harding University. Their signature pose is the thumb at the chest? From what I?ve been told, he was loved by everyone in his club, and a fair portion of the current professors at Harding are Sub T-16 alumni.? He did not want his name printed so as to keep the focus on Jean.

His page also says he worked for a company named Harris Paints. More recently, according to his LinkedIn page, Botham Shem Jean was working for the major consulting firm PricewaterhouseCoopers in Dallas, Texas, as a ?title risk assurance experienced associate.? He had held the position since July 2016, his page says, but had worked for the company since 2015.

?This is a terrible tragedy. Botham Jean was a member of the PwC family in our Dallas office and we are simply heartbroken to hear of his death,? PricewaterhouseCoopers said in a statement.

4. Jean?s Uncle Wrote About His Nephew, ?the World Is at Your Door? & His University Says He Was a Worship Leader on Campus

His uncle Earl commented on his thread three years ago that the future looked very bright for Jean.

?Good looking and intelligent young Jean?.the world is at your door?But everything in Gods timing. ..always proud of you!!? wrote Earl Jean on one of Jean?s Facebook photos, showing him smiling in a business suit, as many of his pictures did.

On Twitter, Jean?s cover photo reads ?Resist.? His tweets are private. ?IzaLucian 🇱🇨 ? Can do anything, Can?t do everything,? his profile reads.

His mother, who still lives in St. Lucia, wrote, ?Looking good my son!? Other comment threads similarly filled with flattery. ?Look up Man in the dictionary and this photo will be next to it,? wrote one friend. ?Presidential photo,? wrote one.

?This boy is and WILL ALWAYS BE a STAR!!!? wrote a woman named Desi Charles.

Harding University said Jean was a member of the Good News Signers, a resident assistant and an intern for the Rock House campus ministry while at the school. He also was a leader in Sub T-16, a men?s social club. He often led worship at the chapel and campus events.

?At Lectureship one year, I asked him to lead singing one night. Because of the subject, there was a particular old hymn that I asked him if he would mind leading,? Harding President Bruce McLarty said. ?He didn?t say anything about not knowing the song, but he had never heard it before in his life. He came up that evening and was just smiling and excited about leading it. He told me he had never heard the song before, but that day, he called back to St. Lucia and asked his grandmother to teach him that old hymn on the phone. So he shared it with us at Lectureship that night, and it was a truly special moment.?

Harding said in a statement, ?The entire Harding family grieves today for the loss of Botham, who has meant so very much to us. Please join us in praying for Botham?s friends and family and for all who were touched by his extraordinary life.?

Sophia Pickle, who attended Harding with Jean, told the Dallas Morning News, ?He was amazing. He was wonderful. He was every good thing that you can imagine.? She said she remembered attending a Halloween party with Jean. ?It?s a Christian school, so we weren?t allowed to dance, we weren?t allowed to drink or smoke. So at this block party, we just had coffee there, then he and I went to McDonald?s for milkshakes.?

She added, ?People don?t know the person, so they say, ?Oh, maybe he did something.? If he was there in his apartment, then I guarantee he would have been respectful; he would have had his hands up.?

5. The Police Officer, Who Has Been on the Force for 5 Years, Is on Administrative Leave

According to the Dallas police statement, the officer ?was not injured and will be placed on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.? The officer, whose name has not been released, has worked for the department for five years, police said in a statement. She had finished a 12-hour shift at some point before the shooting after working overtime because she made a late arrest, police said. A written statement from the police department said the officer was ?tired? and thought she was in her apartment, but at a press conference, Chief Renee Hall would not confirm that the officer being tired was the reason she went to the wrong apartment.

Hall did not provide any other information about the officer other than saying she is a ?Caucasian female? who worked in the patrol division.

Many people on social media have expressed outrage over the bizarre circumstances of Botham Shem Jean?s senseless death.

?The tears won?t stop flowing for #BothamShemJean 😔 he was chilling in his own house, minding his business! This officer should be in JAIL!!!!? wrote one woman. ?Now in America if a cop mistakenly walks into YOUR home? You will get shot? Because hey? This is ?merica. #BothamShemJean,? wrote another.

?The Dallas Police Department is conducting a joint investigation with the District Attorney?s Office. This investigation is ongoing and we will release additional details as they become available and it is appropriate to do so,? police wrote.

?Super scary because the police are supposed to protect you and then they come home and, you know, you?re just hanging out in your own house and then they come home thinking they?re home or whatever. I don?t know if she was tired but that?s pretty scary,? Richard Healy Nelson, who lives in the complex, told Fox 4 News.

On social media, people expressed confusion how the officer could have thought Jean?s apartment was her own. ?So getting this straight, you ?accidentally? walk into someone else?s apt (how do you get in?) shoot them dead, realize then it wasn?t your apt, be like ?oh my bad?? Y?all had identical furniture & family photos? #BothamShemJean,? wrote one man.

Omar Suleiman, a Dallas-based activist, wrote on Facebook that a vigil would be held Friday night at the Dallas Police Headquarters at 7 p.m. ?You don?t just get to walk in someone?s house, shoot them dead, and say whoops I

If this quote isn't bullshit we're not even close to knowing what really happened. Unless she locked herself inside his apartment after she shot him & what the neighbour heard was the responding officers trying to gain access?

Caitlin Simpson, a 20-year-old resident of the apartment building, told the Dallas Morning News she heard a lot of noise Thursday night. ?It was, like, police talk: ?Open up! Open up!'? she told the newspaper.

There's so much fuckery with this, I won't list it all right now, but for anyone who still believes her "I thought it was my own apartment" story, check out these details

*There are reports the officer is Amy Gyger, the same Amy Gyger who was in a non-fatal officer involved shooting last year.

*There are also claims Botham & Amy knew each other. Some residents say they were in a relationship at some point but none of this has been verified. There are pix circulating that people claim show Botham with Amy - these are all unverified at this stage.

*Botham lived on the second floor. Police say his killer "accidentally" walked up an extra flight of stairs & randomly ended up outside Botham's door. But this means she lived on the 1st floor & shouldn't have been walking up stairs at all if she was intending to go to her own apartment.

*This Fox4 reporter just tweeted a vid she says was filmed in Botham's apartment building, showing flowers left by his door.

It also shows that quite a few tenants have bought doormats for their front doors. The doormats are all brown & rectangular - except one.

The door where the flowers have been left has a vivid red, semi-circular door mat.

Unless someone put it there after the shooting there is NO FUCKING WAY she didn't notice it when she stood outside Botham's door.

https://twitter.com/ClariceFox4/stat...38056284569600

*Also, residents of the building say she's not the only police officer who lives there. All of the officers in the building have EXTRA LOCKS on their doors for added security, making them visibly different to the doors of other tenants (this detail hasn't been verified by media yet but there is a pic bring shared)
    Last edited by blighted star; 09-08-2018 at 07:30 AM.

There's no way this went down the way it's being reported. This boils my blood!

The rumour mill has moved on from the pic that supposedly showed them together to searches of apartment vacancies in the building.

This time the story goes that she supposedly lived in a particular apartment but because online records show the apartment as vacant, it "proves" she moved out in May & had no place being there at all.

I'm not going to rely on twitter screenshots of a database that probably isn't updated properly so unless credible journos verify it I'm not going to link it all.

Some early online info has turned out to be true though - like her name & the other pix that were being shared, including this one of her with a family member in an "All Lives Matter" shirt. It seems her entire family had their soc med wiped while police where withholding her name. They missed one old FB account of her sister's that was still up when her name first started being leaked.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/10/u...imes&smtyp=cur

Botham Shem Jean?s brother, Grant, and their mother, Allison, center, with another churchgoer at the Dallas West Church of Christ on Sunday. Mr. Jean was fatally shot by a Dallas police officer in his apartment on Thursday.CreditCreditShaban Athuman/The Dallas Morning News, via Associated Press

By Matthew Haag
    Sept. 10, 2018

Prosecutors in Dallas will present their findings to a grand jury in the case of a police officer who fatally shot her neighbor in his apartment, raising the possibility that she could face additional charges, including murder.

A day after the officer, Amber R. Guyger, 30, was charged with manslaughter, the Dallas County district attorney, Faith Johnson, insisted that the investigation into the death of Botham Shem Jean, 26, had not ended and that her office could seek charges ?including anything from murder to manslaughter.?

?What I?m telling you is that the case is now in the hands of the Dallas County district attorney,? Ms. Johnson said at a news conference on Monday. ?We?ll present a thorough case to the grand jury so that a right decision can be made.?

Dallas has been gripped by rising tensions since Thursday night, when Officer Guyger said that, after working a shift, she returned home in uniform to her apartment complex, South Side Flats, and mistakenly went to Mr. Jean?s residence, the police said. She mistook him for an intruder and opened fire once, fatally striking him in the chest, the authorities said.

Despite the shooting and Mr. Jean?s death, Officer Guyger was allowed to return home that night, leading to accusations of preferential treatment and questions about what role race might have played in the deadly encounter, between a white police officer and a black man in his home. Those concerns only intensified on Sunday, when Officer Guyger was allowed to turn herself in to the authorities in Kaufman County, a mostly rural county southeast of Dallas, and be booked at a jail farther away.

On Monday, Ms. Johnson hinted at a split over the handling of the case between her office and the Texas Rangers, the state?s top law enforcement agency. The Dallas Police Department asked the Texas Rangers on Friday to investigate the shooting. Ms. Johnson said the Texas Rangers coordinated the booking of Officer Guyger and recommended the charge of manslaughter.

Ms. Johnson said she had a ?spirited debate? with Texas Rangers investigators on Sunday before they sought an arrest warrant.

?We had our views and at the end of that conversation, the Texas Rangers made the decision that it would be manslaughter,? she said. ?I?m not challenging them on their viewpoint, and they did a great job.?

Ms. Johnson said that her office continued to collect evidence in the case. She declined to describe that information or to provide a timeline for when the findings could be presented to a grand jury.

A spokesman for the Texas Rangers declined to comment on Monday beyond referring to a statement the agency released on Sunday about the officer?s arrest.

Officer Guyger, a member of the Dallas Police Department for four years and assigned to the patrol division, was involved in a shooting last year. She shot a man in the stomach who had grabbed her police Taser during a confrontation. The man survived, and she was not indicted in that episode, The Dallas Morning News reported.

In an interview late on Sunday, Lee Merritt, a lawyer for Mr. Jean?s family, applauded the arrest of Officer Guyger but questioned why the authorities had waited to take her into custody. ?We don?t want it lost on anyone that, had this been a regular citizen, she would have never left the crime scene,? Mr. Merritt said.

Officials have not said how Officer Guyger may have mistaken the apartment for her own, or what interaction she had with Mr. Jean just before the shooting. Mayor Michael S. Rawlings of Dallas said over the weekend that Officer Guyger told the police that she parked her car on the wrong floor at the apartment building before the shooting.

At the news conference on Monday, Mr. Rawlings denounced misinformation that had spread on social media about the case, including the possibility that Mr. Jean and Officer Guyger were acquainted.

Members of Mr. Jean?s family, including his mother, Allison Jean, a former senior government official in St. Lucia, where her son was born and grew up, also attended the news conference. Mr. Jean moved to Dallas after college in 2016 and worked for the auditing firm PwC, formerly known as PricewaterhouseCoopers.

?Botham was a model citizen,? Mr. Rawlings said on Monday. ?When you lose someone like that in this way, we mourn and our heart breaks with that family.?

I'm really glad Shaun King had a copy of the article quoting the anonymous police officer who defended her in the immediate aftermath, because I spent the last hour trying to find it again after I realised they were now claiming his door was already unlocked when she got there.

The initial police statements always paint the officer in the best light possible. If this mess of lies & contradictions is the best they can muster for her, how bad is the truth going to be when it finally emerges

https://newsone.com/3825940/botham-s...hanging-story/

Was The Door Locked Or Unlocked? Dallas Police Officer Who Shot Botham Jean Reportedly Changed Her Story

Botham Jean was only 26 years old.

Written By NewsOne Staff
    Posted 1 hour ago

Dallas police officer Amber Guyger shot and killed 26-year-old Botham Shem Jean in his own home on Thursday, September 6. Guyger claims she went to the wrong apartment, the door was unlocked, the lights were off, she saw Jean and shot him. For many people, this story has not added up, and now there are reported inconsistencies.

Activist Shaun King pointed out on Twitter that an early report said the door was not unlocked, writing, ?A Dallas police officer, who spoke with NBC 5 under the condition of anonymity, said Guyger was assigned to the department?s elite Crime Response Team and had just finished a 14-hour shift serving warrants in high-crime areas. When she arrived home, she took the elevator to a floor that was not hers. She then went to what she thought was her door, put the key in and struggled with the lock. Guyger then put down several things she was holding and continued to fight with the key when the resident swung open the door and startled her. Guyger believed Jean, who was wearing only underwear, was an intruder and shot him with her service weapon. It wasn?t until police and rescue units began arriving that she realized she was not at her apartment. Once realizing her deadly mistake, she became emotional and fully cooperated with officers, including offering to provide blood samples.?

Now, the narrative is that the door was unlocked. See Shaun?s tweet below:

Sadly, the only person who can tell their side of the story is the cop who was released on a bond of $300,000 last night. She was charged with manslaughter. King also reports Guyger hired a PR firm that ?has been trying to pitch interviews with her family members saying how awesome she is.?

As reported yesterday, Dallas Police Chief Ulysha Renee Hall said it?s unclear what ?the interaction was between her and the victim. Then at some point, she fired her weapon striking the victim.? Guyger called 911. Botham Shem Jean later died at a hospital.

Our condolences go out to Jean?s friends and family.

Oh nice. This is why I had trouble finding it :

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Da...492675981.html

Editor's Note: A previous version of this story included an account of events told by a Dallas police source. Due to conflicting reports of the incident from various sources, we've removed that account from the story.

"We decided to go with whichever version is most beneficial to the shooter"

Quote Originally Posted by blighted star View Post
    Oh nice. This is why I had trouble finding it :

https://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Da...492675981.html

"We decided to go with whichever version is most beneficial to the shooter"

This is from a neighbour who was so angered by the latest change in story that she made a vid proving the doors don't stay ajar, they're heavy & self-closing.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...comment_follow

A woman saying she's his next door neighbour has also started a Twitter account & has been uploading vids & answering questions. Her account of the shooting conflicts with other residents but even so, it's equally damning for Amber Guyger. Guyger's latest story is that the door was ajar, she entered, saw a "dark figure" & immediately issued instructions for the supposed intruder to show his hands. She shot him when he failed to comply.

The Twitter account is claiming to be the next door neighbour who was interviewed by multiple journalists - Alyssa Kinsey. She says on Twitter that she heard nothing prior, no banging on doors, no shouting, just one loud noise - which was presumably the gunshots. It's not clear whether she was awake before the shooting though, so I guess she could've slept through the shouting & banging everyone else says they heard (or it's a fake account)

https://twitter.com/AlyssaKinsey8/with_replies

It's interesting/disgusting to see the way the police version has morphed now to try & provide an explanation for the witness accounts of banging & shouting that sounded like a police officer giving orders.

Also, a journo tweeted a search warrant that listed a ph, laptop, security vid & narcotics as well as evidence of the shooting.

Narcotics

They thought they were going to be able use their usual officer-involved shooting tricks but Botham Jean's reputation is so impeccable none of it's working.

https://twitter.com/HowertonNews/sta...80502795104256
    Last edited by blighted star; 09-11-2018 at 02:56 PM.

I'm starting to believe something that other people have suggested as a possibility :

She lived directly below him. Something was annoying her, maybe he flushed his toilet during the night, maybe they had balconies & something was falling from his onto hers, maybe she thought he walked too heavily or sang too loud.

Maybe she got home tired & irritable & decided she was going to confront him about the thing that was annoying her. Maybe she actually got to her own apartment door first & some sound from above set her off right there & then.

Something has to have provoked her visit to his door because her "mistake" story just makes no sense. & it keeps changing every time evidence is found to contradict her version of events.

Also, I forgot to post this the other day. I don't have a link for the original comment anymore but I'll edit it in if I can find it again

Edit : apparently this comment & many others with unfavourable information were deleted from the page they'd been posted on
    Last edited by blighted star; 09-12-2018 at 04:34 AM.

Dallas PD & Dallas DA's office are having a hell of a week

A Dallas prosecutor & her DA's Office investigator husband were injured in a car accident monday night - their daughter was killed.

https://www.fox4news.com/news/357367628-video

& another young female Dallas PD officer has just been arrested - this time for DUI

http://www.fox4news.com/news/dallas-...ted-in-rowlett

Oh shit. I swear I didn't see this before my other post. I just read comments from people wondering about the possibility in posts made the day after she shot him.

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/09/att...ned-apartment/

Attorney reveals potential link between a Dallas cop and the innocent man she gunned down in his own apartment
    Martin Cizmar MARTIN CIZMAR
    11 SEP 2018 AT 15:51 ET

Noise complaints preceded the incident in which a Dallas cop shot and killed a black man in his own apartment.

Amber Guyger, 30, had just finished a 15-hour shift when she claims to have accidentally approached the wrong apartment, where she found her door ajar and shot at a ?large silhouette? that turned out to be her neighbor, a successful young man named Botham Jean, whom she killed.

Guyger has been charged with manslaughter, but an attorney for her victim has pointed to several inconsistencies, including neighbors saying they heard a female knocking and shouting ?let me in? before the killing.

The attorney for the victim, S. Lee Meritt, appeared on CNN Tuesday where he was asked by host Brooke Baldwin whether there was any connection between the two.

?The only connection we have been able to make is that she was his immediate downstairs neighbor,? Meritt said. ?And there were noise complaints from the immediate downstairs neighbors about whoever was upstairs, and that would have been Botham. In fact, there were noise complaints that very day about upstairs activity in Botham?s apartment. Botham received a phone call about noise coming from his apartment from the downstairs neighbor.?

The "emphasis mine" notations in this article belong to the author, not me.

https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburne...-jean-killing/

Dallas Media Have Blindly Accepted What the Cops Tell Them About Botham Jean Killing

Very little about Amber Guyger's story makes sense. Including the media coverage.

BY BARRETT BROWN PUBLISHED IN FRONTBURNER SEPTEMBER 11, 2018 8:43 AM

If you?ve read a single article about the shooting death by Officer Amber Guyger of Botham Jean, you will have heard a single account of what it was that happened when Guyger showed up at the man?s door. If you?ve read more than one article, you?re likely to have heard two different accounts. One problem is that both of these stories were told to reporters by anonymous staffers at the very same police department; that they contradict each other in every major respect; that they contradict the ?facts? that law enforcement finally settled on when they charged Guyger with manslaughter on Sunday; and that both contradict what actual witnesses appear to be reporting. The larger problem is that some of the city?s journalists don?t seem to have learned anything at all from this.

Law enforcement has controlled the narrative in this case to an extent that?s unusual even in the hazy field of police shootings. There is no dash cam or body cam, and naturally no dispatch records preceding the event itself; there is reportedly a 911 call that one would expect to be on tape, though it has yet to be made public. Meanwhile the other party is dead and history is written by the winners, often with help from reporters.

There is a degree to which a journalist must sometimes rely on accounts from interested, unaccountable parties for their scoops, and so long as this is done with due consideration for the credibility of the source, it is not necessarily a sin. There was nothing wrong, then, with J.D. Miles reporting via Twitter that ?the door was unlocked and she thought she was entering her unit when she saw victim in the dark.? Nor should anyone object to a host of NBC 5 reporters relaying an account from a ?Dallas police officer? who spoke on condition of anonymity that, on the contrary, Guyger actually ?put the key in and struggled with the lock? and then ?put down several things she was holding and continued to fight with the key when the resident swung open the door and startled her.? But when it becomes apparent ? as it did to The Intercept?s Shaun King ? that the two accounts being provided by the same agency are entirely different, it is prudent to stop regarding the law enforcement community as the most reliable source of information on an incident involving a vastly unusual killing by one of their own.

To their credit, NBC later posted an editor?s note at the very bottom of the article noting that they?d removed the whole door-wouldn?t-open-and-was-totally-closed-and-that-guy-swung-it-open-so-time-to-shoot story and that they did so ?[d]ue to conflicting reports of the incident from various sources.? These ?various sources? include the arrest warrant itself, which ultimately went with the door-was-totally-open-so-time-to-shoot variant while also expanding upon the killer?s own description of events with new details. Another ?source? is the search warrant from last Friday, which, as a later piece by at least one of the same reporters notes in its subhead, ?differs slightly? from the arrest warrant. In fact it differs on key aspects of the story and helpfully accuses Jean of having ?confronted? the officer, while also reporting that a witness heard ?an exchange of words immediately followed by at least two gunshots? (emphasis mine). This latter element is less helpful, which is presumably why it does not appear in the arrest warrant, of which more presently. But being a man of great patience, I continue to await NBC?s explanation for why it reported that Guyger shot Jean ?once in the chest and once in the abdomen,? an event that goes uncommemorated in either of the official accounts, which both describe Jean being hit a single time out of the two shots reportedly fired.

What do you do when law enforcement agents contradict each other over and over again regarding a case in which their reputations are collectively at stake? If you?re the Dallas Morning News, you double down on your deference to law enforcement. ?The arrest warrant affidavit provided the first official account of what happened the night Jean died,? proclaimed reporter Dana Branham, who seems not to regard the account provided in the original search warrant as having being official. ?Without it, misinformation swirled on the internet.?

This is a rather bizarre thing to say in a situation wherein the most widely viewed misinformation has come from anonymous police officers via the press itself, and wherein the two public documents that authorities have produced contradict each other in major respects that the actual witnesses seem to be challenging, as Branham herself notes in the course of describing the position of Jean?s family?s attorneys. To be sure, people on the internet have indeed expressed opinions about the circumstances that may be just as wrong as what cops keep telling reporters; Branham cites ?social media users who ripped a photo from Jean?s Instagram and misidentified a woman pictured with him as Guyger, in an effort to prove that the two knew each other before the shooting.? It was indeed uncivil of these random citizens to have ?ripped? the photo thusly, whereas reporters are careful to merely copy them and paste such things.

Branham goes on to paraphrase Dallas Police Association head Mike Mata at great length about such extenuating factors as police overwork and his supposed concerns about Guyger?s safety. ?Guyger has received threats online and through her phone,? she reports, citing no particular evidence other than the claims of Mata, who in the course of asserting that Guyger has received ?texts? but is currently ?safe? rather foolishly reveals that a manslaughter suspect who may ultimately be charged with murder by a grand jury seems not to have had her phone taken up as evidence during her three-day grace period, or perhaps even afterward. Jean?s iPhone, meanwhile, was indeed taken as evidence.

That the sacred arrest warrant itself turns out to be a vastly insane document seems not to have bothered many folks outside of the swirling misinformation-spreading circles of benighted ?social media users,? such as Ian Holmes, an old friend of mine who got his start working in the Dallas DA?s office before going into private practice as a defense attorney. ?The PC affidavit reads like her defense attorney wrote it. I?ve never seen one like it in 10 years of practice,? he wrote on Twitter. My own favorite part is where it actually describes the place where Guyger killed a man in his own home as ?her apartment,? presumably by right of conquest. Similarly telling is the claim that Guyger saw Jean merely as a ?large silhouette? but nonetheless ?gave verbal commands that were ignored? while remaining entirely vague as to what those commands might have been and how she knew he was ignoring them if he was a silhouette. If one recalls the search warrant reference to shots being fired ?immediately? after an exchange of words ? and one would have to recall it to know about it, since someone seems to have decided that it?s no longer as important as it was on Friday, and the Dallas Morning News does not have time to go into all this since Mata has a great deal to say about police officers working extra jobs and this totally needs to be in this article ? one starts to get a sense of what Guyger?s exposure may be here, and how much trouble has gone into confusing the issue lest the press somehow catch on.

For his own part, Mayor Rawlings used Branham?s story in the DMN, the latest in a long line of friendly interviews, to convey to the city that he is ?now all but pleading with people ?to stay off social media?? lest they get the wrong idea about a highly irregular situation that the authorities can?t seem to get straight. Although I agree with him that the masses are fools who cannot be trusted to assess reality, which would explain why Rawlings is still the mayor, those who want to understand what?s really at stake here have little choice but to search for answers themselves.

As journalists, or simply thinking beings, we must rely on what we already know to evaluate which things are sufficiently probable to warrant further inquiry. My broader concern is that too many in the press have decided that they generally know enough to make these decisions, and that even a debacle like that of the last few days will not be sufficient to convince them otherwise. There are always those who prefer things thus, and they are rarely disappointed.

EDITOR?S NOTE: An earlier version of this story contained material that, in hindsight, we felt needed to be expurgated. Find an explanation here.

"Amber Guyger's Brother-in-Law Explains His Hand Signs

The explanation appears much simpler and more innocent than we thought".

https://www.dmagazine.com/frontburne...is-hand-signs/

Maybe the brother-in-law's hand sign explanation is true, but it's a hell of an unfortunate coincidence given the All Lives Matter tshirt her mother was wearing in the other pic
    Last edited by blighted star; 09-12-2018 at 04:54 AM.

Is this for real? Even NRAtv is critical of this shooting?

& complete with the helpful suggestion that things would've been different if only Botham was a licensed gun owner & had the means to defend himself & his property

Things most certainly would've been different - Dallas PD could've simply accused him of threatening their officer with a weapon & most people would've happily accepted the story, labelled him a "thug" & never given his case a second thought. The idea that a Black citizen could shoot a uniformed police officer in self defense is crazy ridiculous. He'd still end up dead if he so much as attempted such a thing - either by being shot at the scene or via the death penalty after years on death row.

https://www.mediamatters.org/video/2...rent-if/221269

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/s...218246615.html

Dallas chief wants review of police tactics at protest

Dominique Alexander speaks to the protesters of the shooting of Botham Jean on Monday, Sept. 10, 2018 at the Jack Evans Police Headquarters in Dallas. Jean was shot Thursday by off-duty Dallas police officer Amber Guyger, who says she mistook his apartment for hers.

Dominique Alexander speaks to the protesters of the shooting of Botham Jean on Monday, Sept. 10, 2018 at the Jack Evans Police Headquarters in Dallas. Jean was shot Thursday by off-duty Dallas police officer Amber Guyger, who says she mistook his apartment for hers. The Dallas Morning News via AP Shaban Athuman

DALLAS
    The Dallas police chief said she has called for a full review and plans to meet with protest leaders after learning about reports that police used pepper-spray projectiles at a demonstration over a black man's death.

Chief U. Renee Hall said in a statement Tuesday that the projectiles, which are called pepper balls and usually contain the chemical in pepper spray, should only be used if there is an immediate threat to the public or if an on-scene commander calls for them to be used. The projectiles irritate the nose and eyes.

Hall said she wants to meet with protest leaders to "address their concerns."

Monday's demonstration came a day after a white Dallas police officer, Amber Guyger, was arrested for manslaughter in the off-duty shooting death of her neighbor, 26-year-old Botham Jean. Authorities have said that Guyger said she mistook Jean's apartment for her own when she fatally shot him last week. She was released on bond.

Demonstrators gathered outside Dallas police headquarters, and several dozen blocked traffic as they marched about half a mile. At one point, police used the pepper-spray projectiles to help control the crowd, according to news reports.

Jean grew up in the Caribbean island nation of St. Lucia before attending college in Arkansas. He graduated from Harding University in 2016 and had been working for accounting firm PwC.

Attorneys for Jean's family have criticized the officer's account of the shooting, saying it contradicted statements from neighbors.

The officer's description of what happened was included in an arrest affidavit prepared by a Texas Ranger and released Monday, shortly after the district attorney announced that the case would be presented to a grand jury, which could decide on more serious charges than manslaughter.

Benjamin Crump, an attorney for Jean's family, said Monday that the affidavit is "very self-serving." Lee Merritt, who also represents the family, called it an attempt to "condone what happened, give her a break."

Guyger, a four-year veteran of the police force, told investigators that she had just ended a 15-hour shift Thursday when she returned in uniform to the South Side Flats apartment complex. She parked on the fourth floor, instead of the third, where she lived, according to the affidavit, possibly suggesting that she was confused or disoriented.

When she put her key in the apartment door, which was unlocked and slightly ajar, it opened, the affidavit said. Inside, the lights were off, and she saw a figure in the darkness that cast a large silhouette across the room, according to the officer's account.

The officer told police that she concluded her apartment was being burglarized and gave verbal commands to the figure, which ignored them. She then drew her weapon and fired twice, the affidavit said.

She called 911 and, when asked where she was, returned to the front door to see she was in the wrong unit, according to the affidavit. Authorities have not released the 911 tapes.

The Dallas County medical examiner's office said Jean died of a gunshot wound to the chest. His death was ruled a homicide.

Merritt said Monday that two independent witnesses have told him they heard knocking on the door in the hallway before the shooting. He said one witness reported hearing a woman's voice saying, "Let me in! Let me in!" Then they heard gunshots, after which one witness said she heard a man's voice say, "Oh my God! Why did you do that?"

Merritt said he believes those were Jean's last words.

Dallas County District Attorney Faith Johnson emphasized that her office was conducting its own probe, in addition to the investigation by the Texas Rangers. She will have the option of presenting more serious charges to the grand jury.

It's not clear if Guyger has an attorney.

Guyger's blood was drawn at the scene to be tested for alcohol and drugs, according to Hall, but authorities have not released results.

https://www.wfaa.com/article/news/qu.../287-593230861

Questions unanswered about the investigation of Botham Jean shooting

"They should only use the amount of force necessary to bring someone into custody," said Blankenbaker.

Author: Rebecca Lopez
    Published: 10:05 PM CDT September 11, 2018
    Updated: 10:27 PM CDT September 11, 2018

DALLAS -- There is only one person's version of what happened the night Botham Jean was shot and killed by Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger.

She told investigators she was in uniform when she arrived at what she thought was her apartment, the door was open, she went inside and thought there was a burglar.

In an arrest affidavit written by The Texas Rangers she tells them "?.she saw a large silhouette, drew her fire arm, gave verbal commands that were ignored and she fired her handgun two times."

Randy Blankenbaker is a former Dallas Assistant Chief who just months ago lead the homicide division. "I would have treated this as an officer-involved shooting based on what I read in the arrest affidavit,? said Blankenbaker.

He says Dallas officers are advised to change out of their uniforms before they leave work because if they get involved in an incident in Dallas, they are presumed to be acting as an officer.

"If you are in uniform. If you are in the city and you are giving commands and you use your weapon, you should expect it will be treated as an officer involved shooting,? said Blankenbaker.

Officers are trained to use the least amount of force. ?They should only use the amount of force necessary to bring someone into custody,? said Blankenbaker.

But, the department says this case is extremely unusual because Guyger claims she thought she was in her apartment. Texas law allows residents to shoot an intruder.

So, it was classified as a homicide. Former Police Chief David Brown spoke to ABC News.

"From start to where we are now none of the protocols have been applied and it's extremely frustrating to citizens trying to understand what is happening, what is true because so many details and questions have been left unanswered,? said Brown.

The Texas Rangers were brought in to ensure transparency, but some citizens said they believe there are still few answers.

?Turning the case over to the Texas Rangers is adding to the fuel of the bizarre shooting of Mr. Jean," Brown said.

The Dallas Police investigators initially on this case felt there was enough evidence for a warrant on Friday but once the Rangers were called in it delayed the arrest.

This part is INSANE.

But, the department says this case is extremely unusual because Guyger claims she thought she was in her apartment. Texas law allows residents to shoot an intruder.

So, it was classified as a homicide.
    They're now twisting the law for her, claiming suddenly you no longer have to be in your own home to protect "your home". You can enter someone else's home, shoot them dead & claim protection under the law on the grounds you believed it to be your home

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    This entire thing is sickening. I get so tired of the media weaponizing the tears of white women. Of course she HAD to shoot the big Black man who's house she was attempting to break into. The fact that he would probably be dead if he had shot her is why I am against guns. The law is NOT applied equally!

RIP Botham

This is the CNN interview with the discussion about the alleged noise complaint ph call to Botham from the downstairs apartment (just in case anyone else has probs getting it to play at the other link)

Also : https://www.gofundme.com/in-memory-of-botham-jean
    Last edited by blighted star; 09-12-2018 at 02:41 AM.

I don't know if this audio's genuine? I never know how to authenticate U.S emergency recordings because there's so many different ways people seem to access this stuff & it varies so much from state to state

If it's genuine, she might've been working security when she went to his apartment. Which means she may have been acting on the noise complaints - which may also have been her own noise complaints

Dallas Cop may have been Acting as Security Guard when she Killed Botham Jean

Carlos Miller

Dallas police officer Amber Guyger shot Bothem Jean after a series of noise complaints against him.

Dallas police officer Amber Guyger was described as a "security guard" in a dispatch call to firefighters in the moments after she shot Bothem Jean in his own apartment even though she was in full police uniform.

That revelation, which can be heard in the above video, may explain the noise complaints that came from Guyger's apartment about Jean's apartment above, including a complaint made on the day of the shooting, a detail brought to light Monday by an attorney for the victim's family.

And it may also explain the contentious exchange overheard by two sisters who live in a nearby apartment at the time of the shooting.

"Let me in, let me in," demanded a female voice while pounding on a door, followed by the sounds of gunshots.

"Oh my God, why did you do that?" a man's voice then said, probably Jean's final words.

And it would also explain why police have issued so many versions of the story, none of them adding up or making sense, all of them contradicting each other, blaming Jean in one way or another for his death.

In other words, it's beginning to look like Guyger had taken on the role of an overzealous security guard at her apartment complex, shooting and killing Jean over whatever noise he may or may not have been making in the apartment above her.

As far-fetched as that may sound, it's much more plausible than the three versions police have told us so far.

Police said that Guyger was returning home after working 12 to 15 hours, a number that increases with each revision to make us believe she was exhausted from keeping the public safe from evildoers.

But she also lives within walking distance of the police department, so it's not implausible for her to have been at home at any time during her shift.

All three versions state that Guyger killed Jean after returning home from work and confusing his fourth-floor apartment with her third-floor apartment, then confusing him for a burglar, which made her fear for her life.

The first version claimed she inserted her key in the keyhole but the door would not open, so he placed the items she was carrying down to continue struggling with the door, drawing Jean's attention inside, who opened the door and startled her, which was why she shot him.

But that version began falling apart when a photo surfaced showing a big, bright red doormat in front of his apartment when she had no such doormat in front of her apartment, which should have been an indicator she was at the wrong door.

Videos also surfaced showing residents from that complex opening doors with fob keys, which turn green or red depending on whether they are the right key or not, similar to a hotel room card key, so there was no need for her to struggle with the door because she would have immediately known she was at the wrong door.

The second version claimed that Jean had left the door unlocked, which was how Guyger was able to walk into the darkened apartment and see a silhouette of a man who refused to show her his hands, which she somehow was able to determine even though she was unable to determine she was in the wrong apartment.

But when Jean's family said he would never leave his door unlocked because he was very meticulous and orderly, they came out with the third version, claiming that Jean left the door ajar, enabling Guyger to walk into the darkened apartment, which was when she was startled by a silhouette of a man who refused her verbal commands, whatever they may have been, which was why she shot him.

Besides the dubious claim she could not tell she was in the wrong apartment after stepping inside it, the second and third claims are also dubious because the doors of those apartments are designed to close and lock automatically.

So it is highly unlikely Jean had left the door open or ajar. He would have had to have done it on purpose. And that is something most people won't do. Especially somebody as orderly and meticulous as Jean.

But considering the third version comes from the affidavit of the manslaughter charge against Guyger, it is the official version for now, even though it reads as if it was written by Guyger herself.

But that may change now that police have decided to interview witnesses other than Guyger, including the ones that overheard the conversation outside their door.

The affidavit also states that Guyger mistakenly drove up to the fourth floor parking level instead of the third floor parking level where she was supposed to park because the parking floors are supposed to correspond with the residential floors.

But a resident of the complex said that most spaces are first come, first serve with only a handful of reserved spots, which means she could be parking on any floor at any time and it should not cause her to enter the wrong apartment.

Police have been saying she was tired from working so many hours, which is why she parked in the wrong spot and why she entered the wrong apartment and why she couldn't tell she was in the wrong apartment even after walking inside.

But she was alert enough to shoot Guyger in the dark, striking him once in the chest.

And if it's true she was working so many hours, it's likely she was doing so willingly to milk the overtime as so many cops like to do.

And living a block away is convenient in case she needs a quick nap.

And that may explain the noise complaints because for all we know, she is a control freak who can't stand the sound of somebody walking in the apartment above her while she's trying to nap during the day.

After all, it's much easier to believe she killed Jean in a fit of rage than it is to believe she killed him in a state of oblivion.

Apparently it's real.

(& apparently I lose the ability to do basic news searches when I'm distracted)

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/09/...who-fired-gun/

Listen: In Dallas apartment shooting, firefighters were misinformed about who fired gun

Audio from fire department dispatcher clouds shooting by Amber Guyger

By MATTHIAS GAFNI | mgafni@bayareanewsgroup.com | Bay Area News Group
    PUBLISHED: September 11, 2018 at 4:58 pm

DALLAS - Moments after an off-duty Dallas police officer shot and killed a man in his own apartment, firefighters were dispatched to the complex for a shooting by a security guard, not a police officer, according to hours of audio reviewed by this news agency, further clouding what Amber Guyger or witnesses may have initially told police last week.

"We now have you assigned to a gunshot," a Dallas Fire Department dispatcher said over the radio to Rescue 4 at 10:02 p.m. Thursday. "A security guard just shot the patient, so go ahead and stand by."

An arrest warrant affidavit for Guyger, 30, a four-year veteran of the department, alleges that she immediately called 911 after she shot Botham Jean once in the torso in his apartment at 9:59 p.m., mortally wounding him. What is unclear is how the call for medical help just three minutes later misidentified the shooter as a security guard.

Jean family attorney Lee Merritt did not immediately respond to a request for comment Tuesday.

Dallas police referred information requests to the Texas Rangers, who said all inquiries must go through the Dallas County District Attorney's Office. The Dallas Fire-Rescue Department referred questions to investigators. Kimberlee Leach, a spokeswoman with the DA's office, said due to the ongoing investigation her office could not comment - to protect the integrity of the case."

A call to the Dallas Police Association, the officer's union, referred media inquiries to a public relations firm.

"The DPA is withholding any public comments on the incident until all the facts are known and the investigation is complete,- Brian Mayes of Mayes Media Group said. "You might try the Dallas Police Department for additional updates."

Guyger was initially arrested, then charged with manslaughter three days after killing the 26-year-old Jean. She quickly posted bail, but now a grand jury will decide what exact charges she might face.

Her arrest warrant alleges that Guyger thought she was entering her own apartment Thursday night, but she was actually directly one floor above. Police said when she tried to insert her key into the door, which was already slightly ajar, the door fully opened.

Guyger, who was still dressed in her police uniform, saw a "large silhouette" in the darkened apartment and thought it was a burglar, according to the warrant.

"Guyger drew her firearm, gave verbal commands that were ignored by - Jean," according to the warrant. "Guyger fired her handgun two times striking [Jean] in the torso. Guyger entered the apartment, immediately called 911, requesting police and EMS, and provided first aid to - Jean.

"Due to the interior darkness of the apartment, Guyger turned on the interior lights while on the phone with 911. Upon being asked where she was located by emergency dispatchers, Guyger returned to the front door to observe the address and discovered she was at the wrong apartment, - according to the arrest warrant.

Jean's family attorneys have disputed Guyger's account portrayed in the arrest warrant, telling ABC News it was - highly implausible."

Merritt told ABC News that independent witnesses residing in the South Side Flats apartment complex in Dallas heard the officer pounding on Jean's door and demanding to be let in.

"The contradictions begin to build from there," he said.

Merritt told the television station that Jean would not leave his door ajar. Fellow attorney Benjamin Crump also questioned why she shot at a darkened silhouette without knowing anything about who the figure was.

Attorney Daryl Washington, who also is representing the Jean family, told ABC News that Guyger's story has other inconsistencies.

"From the fact that when you look at an affidavit and I?m thinking that I'm at my house and I call 911 because someone was just shot," he said. "Well, the very first thing that I'm going to do is I'm not going to go outside and look at my address. I'm going to give them my address right there on the phone. I'm going to say I'm on the phone. My address is this. Why did she have to go outside to verify the address? It makes no sense whatsoever."

PETITION :

https://act.colorofchange.org/sign/j...c&source=tw_sp
    Last edited by blighted star; 09-12-2018 at 06:31 AM.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...-crime/569950/

Amber Guyger Fallout: How Common Is Police Crime?
    The federal government doesn?t track incidents, but I do.

SEP 11, 2018
    Philip M. Stinson
    Criminologist and Former Attorney

In the latest shooting to outrage the nation, Amber Guyger, an off-duty Dallas police officer, claims she walked into the wrong apartment in the building where she lives and pointed her gun at Botham Shem Jean, thinking that he was an intruder. Guyger then shot and killed Jean. By all accounts, Jean was doing nothing wrong. He was simply at home minding his own business.

As a country, we used to ignore police crime. That changed in August 2014, when an officer in Ferguson, Missouri, killed Michael Brown, an unarmed teenager. Yet the government hasn?t caught up to public interest. Former FBI Director James Comey went so far as to say in 2016 that ?Americans actually have no idea? how often police use force, because the federal government has not bothered to collect the relevant data. Although the FBI now plans to track the number of people killed by police across the United States, by early 2018 only 1,600 of the more than 18,000 state and local law-enforcement agencies had agreed to submit data for the project. And initial data collection had not yet commenced.

Where is the data on police behavior?

More than a decade ago, I decided to start my own research database on crime by law-enforcement officials. It?s expansive. It includes information on more than 12,000 policemen and policewomen arrested for one or more crimes since 2005. Some of the crimes are serious felonies, such as robberies, rapes, and murders. Many are less serious misdemeanors, such as disorderly conduct. (A searchable version of the database is publicly available for the years 2005 to 2013.) My student research assistants use media reports and court records to track incidents and outcomes?that is, whether the officers are found guilty and what consequences they face, if any. The database isn?t comprehensive, but it?s better than nothing?which is what the federal government offers.

A prominent policing scholar once wrote that ?law enforcement is exempt from law enforcement,? meaning that police officers do not like to arrest other police officers. In my experience, most people assume that police crime is rare. Occasionally they read an article in their hometown newspaper or watch a story on the evening news about a local police officer who?s been charged with a crime. It seems unusual. What they don?t realize is that, every night, people across the country encounter similar stories. Only when we aggregate police crime from all over the United States does the extent of the problem become apparent.

So, what are we dealing with?

More than 900 police officers are arrested each year, and roughly 60 percent of all crimes for which police are arrested occur while they?re off duty, as Guyger was when she shot Jean. Nationwide, there were 5,475 cases of officers arrested for off-duty crimes in the years 2005 to 2013. (That case number includes officers arrested more than once during the study years.)

Half of Americans believe there?s a pattern of police killing black men.

More than half of off-duty crimes are violent (52 percent), and a large number of them are alcohol-related offenses (42 percent). Off-duty police officers commonly carry a handgun, so perhaps it?s not surprising that a significant number of the cases in my database (11 percent) involve an officer who used a firearm in the commission of an off-duty crime. In some of the cases, an off-duty officer used a police-issued firearm to settle an otherwise nonviolent dispute with family members, friends, or neighbors.

More police officers are arrested each year for murder or manslaughter resulting from off-duty shootings than from on-duty shootings. That of course doesn?t mean that police are more likely to shoot someone while off duty, just that off-duty shootings are more likely than on-duty shootings to be considered criminal.

In the years 2005 to 2013, there were 56 police officers charged with murder or manslaughter resulting from an off-duty shooting, and 41 (73 percent) were convicted. During the same nine-year period, there were just 41 officers charged with murder or manslaughter resulting from an on-duty shooting, and only 21 (51 percent) were convicted.

The data suggest that we should discourage off-duty police from carrying guns. I used to work in law enforcement, and I know from experience that officers are socialized into a police subculture that is built around an us-versus-them mentality: Everyone but ?us? is a potential threat. And police can?t just turn off this way of seeing when they go off duty. Perhaps that?s natural, and there?s nothing we can do about it?but our environment would be a lot safer for ?them,? for the Botham Shem Jeans of the world, if cops seeing red didn?t carry guns.

Thread Information