Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Deceased hiker known as "Mostly Harmless" & "Denim" identified as Vance Rodriguez (42)

Am I the only person who is excited about this? I went out jetskiing and expected to come back to some comments. You guys are disappointing me, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Am I the only person who is excited about this? I went out jetskiing and expected to come back to some comments. You guys are disappointing me, lol.
    Meh.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    Meh.
    This is why we can't have nice things!

Hehehe.

yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

How about this? He's cute in a homeless sort of way. Lol!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

I'm totally fascinated by it. So, has he been positively identified?

The scar was from a self-inflicted gunshot wound when he was young.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    Again, I'm not posting it here yet, but TCS has a pic and name if you want to look at it.

https://truecrimesociety.com/2019/08...s/#comment-667
    I posted Lyle Steviks real name on there after hours of research and reaching out to someone on Twitter. They blocked me, I'm quite sure because someone (one of the admins I think) is racist.

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post

I'm totally fascinated by it. So, has he been positively identified?

The scar was from a self-inflicted gunshot wound when he was young.
    See, KT gets it. I'm going to deny knowing the rest of you right now.

Yes, that's what I read about the self inflicted gun shot wound. And if you saw what was said about him then giving blood all the time after his life was saved, that would explain the really large vein on his one arm that people have wondered about.

He hasn't been officially positively identified, but I'm pretty sure it's only a matter of time. All the details of the named person's life matches up to what MH said. Have you seen the pics? In addition to the ones on TCS there is an obituary for his grandpa (who died 2 years to the day after MH died, and the named person is named as a surviving grandson) and in the pic montage he is pictured twice.

I can't see who repped me. I was blocked after one admin said something like Black people are ultra violent or something similar. I pointed out that what he said was racist. Boom, next thing I know, I couldn't find the group in search. Nor any of the affiliate groups. It's a good thing... I don't need to belong to a group that coddles racist and allows racism. It's merely a MDS ripoff. I'm also friends... And more than Facebook friends with umm I forgot her MDS name, but I'll call her MM. They said that I was her pet. How? I'm not sure. I prefer MDS anyway. So I'm probably going to be ip banned now. LOL. Go big or go home.

Quote Originally Posted by Queena View Post
    I can't see who repped me. I was blocked after one admin said something like Black people are ultra violent or something similar. I pointed out that what he said was racist. Boom, next thing I know, I couldn't find the group in search. Nor any of the affiliate groups. It's a good thing... I don't need to belong to a group that coddles racist and allows racism. It's merely a MDS ripoff. I'm also friends... And more than Facebook friends with umm I forgot her MDS name, but I'll call her MM. They said that I was her pet. How? I'm not sure. I prefer MDS anyway. So I'm probably going to be ip banned now. LOL. Go big or go home.
    Wait, where were you blocked? From TCS?

I've only been able to see the pics that are posted on TCS - the twats at the "Ben Bilemy" FB page denied my join request. I guess my reputation as a forum troll precedes me.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.

I've only been able to see the pics that are posted on TCS - the twats at the "Ben Bilemy" FB page denied my join request. I guess my reputation as a forum troll precedes me.
    WTF. I didn't even answer any questions and they let me in. They are strange there. I just lurk and enjoy the show. The other UID page is in full meltdown mode though. Lots of drama.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    Wait, where were you blocked? From TCS?
    Yup

WTF. I didn't even answer any questions and they let me in. They are strange there. I just lurk and enjoy the show. The other UID page is in full meltdown mode though. Lots of drama.
    Which one is that? Link please, because Lord knows I haven't had enough drama in my life lately.

Did they ever find out what his cause of death was?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    He starved to death, but he had food in his tent.

Which one is that? Link please, because Lord knows I haven't had enough drama in my life lately.
    It's the Unidentified Nameless and Never Forgotten group. I was going to send you an invite, but it says you're already a member. Maybe that's the one I sent you the invite for? I can't remember. The mods there want to pretend they broke this case wide open, and that they are the caretaker of MH. Some of the members are calling them out on what they are saying and it's kind of amusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Like KT said, he basically starved to death, wasted away. He had food in the tent though, and he had food in his bowels (quite a bit) at the time of death. They didn't find anything else remarkable at the autopsy. He had the scar on his stomach that they couldn't identify what it was from, and the person who first ID'd him mentioned that it was a self inflicted gunshot wound.

I wonder if he was incompasitated in some way so he couldn't get to the food?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Right. Physically, he was perfectly healthy in all respects, except he starved to death.

Since we now know he has self-harmed in the past, it seems more probable that he chose this as a form of suicide. It's a bizarre but intriguing case. Intriguing that with today's technology, anyone can die publicly yet anonymously like this. His pictures are plastered all over the internet and no one knows who he is! I have to say, the one picture I saw of MH when he was younger (post-High School?), he had a different vibe. He was younger of course, and had a head full of lively hair, but he was undoubtedly MH. Yet I can almost understand how people who knew him in the past, might scroll right past MH's photo without realizing they knew him, particularly if hiking wasn't something they would expect him to do. This was a big story in the hiking community and in the Missing/UID community, but he was never reported missing and he didn't normally hike. If I wasn't interested in either of these topics,* I probably never would have seen this story until about 2 or 3 months ago.

*I want to make it clear I am only interested in ONE of those topics, Missing/UID. I don't hike because it's too much like exercise and I belong to this forum and know what happens to people who jog and hike and mountain climb.

So my big interest in this case comes from my suspicion that he was estranged from his family, and the potential ethical dilemma of what will happen when his identity is found, if he didn't have a will spelling out his wishes. Coming from an estranged family situation myself, where my worst nightmare would be for my family to try to dictate what happens to me and all I have worked for in my life, his case has made me do a lot of thinking.

So now that there is a potential ID, sleuthers have said that he was emancipated from his family at 16-17, and it appears that he was estranged from his family. I know a lot of people look at MH and wonder how this could happen, and how no one knew he was missing, but for me it makes total sense and I totally understand how it happened.

Like KT said, he basically starved to death, wasted away. He had food in the tent though, and he had food in his bowels (quite a bit) at the time of death. They didn't find anything else remarkable at the autopsy. He had the scar on his stomach that they couldn't identify what it was from, and the person who first ID'd him mentioned that it was a self inflicted gunshot wound.
    He could have had a problem with malabsorption. It wouldn't have mattered how much he ate if none of the nutrients entered his bloodstream. If he had been shot in the stomach, some of the scarrings could have been blocking him from getting nutrients. To the best of my knowledge, this is not a sudden thing, so it may not have shown up when he was a teen.

The ID is now official

https://dnasolves.com/articles/big_c...aqD8qrxiDbXEHg

Mostly Harmless has been identified as Vance Rodriguez, formerly of Lafayette Parish, Louisiana
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 11-22-2022 at 01:37 PM.

https://www.wired.com/story/unsettli...zvHyUgpDdhQM7s

The Unsettling Truth About the ‘Mostly Harmless’ Hiker
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 01-16-2021 at 06:05 PM.

I'm glad he was identified. It seems like his family doesn't really care, though, and that's sad.

Captain of Fuckery captainjillian's Avatar
    Thanks for all your work on this one, RBW! I've just found this case today and it was a fascinating read.
    I'm still confused on how he starved to death but his bowels were full, but maybe he starved himself and then tried to eat again, can't that cause death in people with eating disorders? Like you have to be re-fed?

I never try anything, I just do it. Wanna try me?

Thread Information