Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Deceased hiker known as "Mostly Harmless" & "Denim" identified as Vance Rodriguez (42)

Deceased hiker known as "Mostly Harmless" & "Denim" identified as Vance Rodriguez (42)

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/flo...814-story.html

Hiker found dead went by 'Denim' and 'Mostly Harmless' on the trail, but investigators don't know his real name

Investigators say he used the trail names "Denim" and "Mostly Harmless," but that they do not know his real name.

Authorities in Collier County, Florida, say they believe this is the man who was found dead in a tent in Big Cypress National Preserve on July 23, 2018. Investigators say he used the trail names "Denim" and "Mostly Harmless," but that they do not know his real name. (Collier County Sheriff's Office)

They believe they know his aliases, his nicknames. What he looks like. They just don?t know who he is.

After a hiker was found dead in a tent in Big Cypress National Preserve on July 23, investigators deployed ?advanced forensic technologies? and followed up on several leads, the Collier County Sheriff?s Office said on Facebook.

They determined that the man?s death wasn?t suspicious, and that he had most likely died within a few days of his body being found.

They learned that he used the names ?Denim? and ?Mostly Harmless? on the trail. He also used the name ?Ben Bilemy? at hostels that he had checked into in Virginia, Georgia and Florida.

They obtained photographs of a man with a salt-and-pepper beard, and believe the man in the photographs is the person who was found dead.

But they still don?t know his actual identity.

?At this time we are looking for his identity or information from those who knew him or know of his family,? the sheriff?s office said in a Facebook post on Monday.

Investigators were trying to learn the identity of a hiker found dead in Collier County, Florida, on July 23, 2018. (Collier County Sheriff's Office)

According to the Collier County Sheriff?s Office, the man was found dead by other hikers on July 23 at Nobles Camp, about five miles north of the rest stop at Mile Marker 63 on Interstate 75, also known as Alligator Alley.

In a bid to identify the man, investigators issued a bulletin seeking information from the public. That bulletin featured a composite image.

The bulletin said the man had been between 35 and 50 years old, that he had a salt and pepper beard and hair, that his teeth were in excellent condition, and that he had been wearing a beige shirt and green shorts, and black Salomon hiking boots.

Investigators were trying to learn the identity of a hiker found dead in Collier County, Florida, on July 23, 2018. (Collier County Sheriff's Office)
    He was found in a yellow, two-person Brooks-Range Mountaineering Foray-model tent, the sheriff?s office said.

Tips came in, and so did the photos, after the bulletin went out.

The Naples Daily News reported that the photos came from hikers who believe they met the man on the Appalachian and Florida trails.

The Daily News also reported that investigators believe the man might?ve had connections to New York and Louisiana.

He might have worked in the tech industry, investigators said.

In an update on Monday, investigators said they did searches on the name Ben Bilemy, but found no matches.

?What we need most from the public is info on the name of the hiker known as Denim and Mostly Harmless so that his family can be notified and lay their loved one to rest,? the sheriff?s office said.

Investigators were asking Facebook users to share their posts about the hiker and to call the Collier County Sheriff?s Office at 239-252-9300 if they have any info.

Edit : nvm, I don't even read my own posts properly this week

https://www.facebook.com/colliersher...01693019890471
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by blighted star; 08-15-2018 at 08:38 PM.

I check in on this case frequently over on WS. I can't believe they really aren't any closer to ID'ing him at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I check in on this case frequently over on WS. I can't believe they really aren't any closer to ID'ing him at this point.
    Wow, that's crazy. And they even have a photo of him! Can't believe no one has recognized him in two years.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    "5’8, weighing about 83 "

Either that's a typo or he was extremely malnourished. I'm not that surprised that he's still not been identified. It seems like he lived as a homeless person, but with some money here and there. Probably doing odd jobs for cash. The people that hired him paid him under the table and never new his real name.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    "5’8, weighing about 83 "

Either that's a typo or he was extremely malnourished. I'm not that surprised that he's still not been identified. It seems like he lived as a homeless person, but with some money here and there. Probably doing odd jobs for cash. The people that hired him paid him under the table and never new his real name.
    It's not a typo, he starved to death. He was found with roughly $4000 in cash in his belongings. His autopsy didn't really show any health reason for him to starve to death, so some people think he committed suicide that way, or had a severe eating disorder. He had told people on the trail that he was a computer programmer.

It's not a typo, he starved to death. He was found with roughly $4000 in cash in his belongings. His autopsy didn't really show any health reason for him to starve to death, so some people think he committed suicide that way, or had a severe eating disorder. He had told people on the trail that he was a computer programmer.
    Whaaat?!

That requires a level of dedication I simply don't possess.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Holy crap. That's insane!
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Although he starved himself to death, the weight could account for post-mortem changes, being as how he died in Florida in July. Even a few days in those conditions can mean significant changes (I don't want to get too gruesome).

Quote Originally Posted by Lena Norbert View Post
    Although he starved himself to death, the weight could account for post-mortem changes, being as how he died in Florida in July. Even a few days in those conditions can mean significant changes (I don't want to get too gruesome).
    I should say, the weight could also be accounted for by post mortem changes.

I am so glad. I hope they find out who he is. He was small at eight three pounds and 5'8". Guess it could be for many reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by terps1990 View Post
    I am so glad. I hope they find out who he is. He was small at eight three pounds and 5'8". Guess it could be for many reasons.
    He wasn't always small. If you google him and look back over the pics he definitely lost weight while on the hike, but he was a normal weight. His COD was basically that he starved to death, but they couldn't find any reason why he would have starved to death...so the thought is that he did it intentionally.

He wasn't always small. If you google him and look back over the pics he definitely lost weight while on the hike, but he was a normal weight. His COD was basically that he starved to death, but they couldn't find any reason why he would have starved to death...so the thought is that he did it intentionally.
    I googled. You're right he had some weight. His face looked full. I saw an article where they showed a picture of the tent and a portion of his body. He didnt look like he was decomposing. ( I dont no about the process of decomposition) He looked like his belly was concave with his hip bones and ribs protruding. The article mentioned some people thought he had knee problems and maybe he couldn't get up to eat. That seems a little unbelievable. I have heard on the trail you could go days without seeing someone but I would think if your having a problem you would scream out for someone. I hope they find someone who loved him.

Thanks for this, I downloaded it. I'll listen tonight as I drift off to sleep.

Thanks, wolf.

This video is taken from a drone and shows the area around where he was found. The campground he was actually found at is shown around the 2:07 mark.

Liv's site has a lot of good info and pics, as well as the commonly accepted timeline:

https://truecrimesociety.com/2019/08...stly-harmless/
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 09-05-2020 at 05:29 PM.

This is a conversation between one of the guys who was on the June 1st video camping at Nobles Campground, and another guy who was there near the 1st of July. Too bad they didn't actually check on him, but I get wanting to give someone their space. The Armando guy is some kind of author and inspirational speaker.

https://www.facebook.com/armandocruz3/photos

https://www.facebook.com/justin.sorrenti.3

NAMUS: https://www.namus.gov/UnidentifiedPe...ase#/51453?nav

Collier County Sheriff's Office podcasts on this case:
    https://soundcloud.com/ccso-media-re...ment-episode-1
    https://soundcloud.com/ccso-media-re...ment-episode-2
    https://soundcloud.com/ccso-media-re...ment-episode-3
    https://soundcloud.com/ccso-media-re...date-july-2020
    https://soundcloud.com/ccso-media-re...te-august-2020
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 09-06-2020 at 05:36 PM.

I'm not going to copy pasta all of your points, but I agree 100%. The 24 February Pine Log Forest sighting is a case of mistaken identity (or someone trying to inject themselves into the case for whatever reason people do that kind of stuff). My guess is mistaken identity. That woman wanted it to be MH.

https://www.wired.com/story/nameless...GPAzQD96hzO1yo

A Nameless Hiker and the Case the Internet Can’t Crack

Ortham Labs/DNA Solves has completed his DNA sequencing and they are working on his family tree now.

https://dnasolves.com/articles/big_cypress_remains/
    There are some interesting cases on this site.

https://www.wired.com/story/nameless...GPAzQD96hzO1yo

A Nameless Hiker and the Case the Internet Can’t Crack
    I think he will be identified soon. This has got to be one of the most bizarre UID cases I've ever heard of, everything about it flies in the face of logic.

I want to know who he is damnit! I think he's in his 30's. 35 to be exact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I don't have a thousand dollars hanging around to buy a fart in a jar lol.

Good article. He might have hit the mark on who MH really is. Not all that exciting, only child, parents deceased, fed up with his IT job.

Lots of activity going on in the FB page for MH. Ortham Labs says he has a lot of Cajun in him. Also, several people are saying that he may have been a firefighter.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1059588950803167/
    What makes them think firefighter??? I'm not in the group, just sent a join request.

Several independent people have submitted tips saying that he used to work as a firefighter in Louisiana, and someone submitted one that he worked as a volunteer firefighter up in NJ.

The group is drama-y, but I just roll my eyes and scroll past most of it for the interesting stuff. I only check it about once a week.
    That's intriguing, and it seems like the kind of tip that would make identification easy-breezy. If people are suggesting he was a Louisiana firefighter, than they know WHERE in Louisiana so they aren't looking for a needle in a haystack. Personnel records would be easy to look up, no? Training records? Firefighters train constantly, and it's recorded in logs.

It's a high pressure job, might explain his need to drop out. So was he a full-time firefighter with an interest in IT; or was he an IT guy who was a volunteer firefighter?

The group hasn't approved my membership request yet. Maybe I got the screening question wrong. haha

Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    I want to know who he is damnit! I think he's in his 30's. 35 to be exact.
    I think he's about 40. I really want to know what exactly happened and why he didn't try to get help.
    If the ID is correct, he was 42 when he died.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 12-17-2020 at 09:10 AM.

Thread Information