Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Deceased hiker known as "Mostly Harmless" & "Denim" identified as Vance Rodriguez (42)

Quote Originally Posted by captainjillian View Post
    Thanks for all your work on this one, RBW! I've just found this case today and it was a fascinating read.
    I'm still confused on how he starved to death but his bowels were full, but maybe he starved himself and then tried to eat again, can't that cause death in people with eating disorders? Like you have to be re-fed?
    the re-feeding thing has been the speculation of a lot of people, and it makes sense to me.

The whole case is a fascinating story of family skeletons and mental illness.

I also still stand by my theory that the lady who said she saw him at the campground in Florida (see 1st page) and talked about the sister in Sarasota and him having an illness either had the wrong person or just made it up for attention.
    Last edited by raisedbywolves; 01-15-2021 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by KimTisha View Post
    Right. Physically, he was perfectly healthy in all respects, except he starved to death.

*I want to make it clear I am only interested in ONE of those topics, Missing/UID. I don't hike because it's too much like exercise and I belong to this forum and know what happens to people who jog and hike and mountain climb.

This reminds a lot of the “Into the Wild” story about Chris McCandless. I read the book when it first came out and was into that story for quite a few years. The movie does a decent job of telling some of the story.
    I actually just came across this story while researching some AZ hikes I’m trying to plan. Came back here to see if we had a missing person article and RBW was on top of it! Ty for all the additional info on this case.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    ETA: I also still have questions about some of the body pictures from the tent where he was found. I keep seeing descriptions saying he was sitting up, but he wasn't. Why do they keep saying this? I also wonder about some of the abrasions on his body, and how much dirt was on the back of his head/ear/feet. Was he dragging himself around for awhile? I know, these are answers I will never get, but I am curious. I don't think he went to KW, I think he was there from April-July.
    I've thought a lot about the position of the body. He couldn't have been dead for long (i.e., maybe a day or two), because he was found in the middle of the summer in Florida and his body was in good shape (not severely decomposed or bug infested). Do you think it's possible MH died in a sitting position, was in rigor mortis when they found him, and by the time help arrived (they were in a remote location) he was out of rigor and had fallen over so to speak?

OR, in the fear and excitement of finding a dead body, they accidentally knocked him over. It wouldn't take much, he was 83 lbs.

OR, in the fear and excitement of finding a dead body, they THINK he was sitting up.

OR, when the body-finders ran for help, someone else came along and touched the body (possibly someone they encountered on their way out and warned about the find).

OR, first responders moved his body before investigators started to take photographs of the scene (doubtful because they know better, but an over-enthusiastic rookie could make the mistake).

Like you, I don't understand why that hasn't been addressed. In a death investigation this should be a big deal because clearly (if the men who found him are telling the truth), the body was moved between the time it was found and the time police arrived.

Trying to think back to the photos.... wasn't there livor mortis on his back (shoulders/buttocks)? Depending on how long it took to process the scene and remove the body, it might indicate he was in the prone position the whole time.

Also, I'm not convinced that was "dirt" in his ear (and on the back of his neck, IIRC?). It may have been insects.
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

This goes a little more into Ortham Lab's role in IDing Vance.

https://evolvability.substack.com/p/mostly-harmless

Mostly Harmless-In 2017, Vance Rodriguez left for the Appalachian Trail, died on the hike, and it took the crowd to return him home. It's also the first case we ever crowdfunded.

I?ve looked everywhere for all the post mortem photos but haven?t been able to find them, I?m really interested to see them all if you happen to have them. I?m not interested in posting them or anything, just want to have a visual on descriptions I?ve read.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by partyenema View Post
    I?ve looked everywhere for all the post mortem photos but haven?t been able to find them, I?m really interested to see them all if you happen to have them. I?m not interested in posting them or anything, just want to have a visual on descriptions I?ve read.
    Good luck. I'm a part of many groups that can usually get their hands on that stuff and nobody has been able to find them. But if we do, we'd probably post them here no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by partyenema View Post

I have them, no I'm not posting them.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I have them, no I'm not posting them.
    Good for you. I don't think it is necessary to view.

Has anyone else watched documentary on this case? I found all the women obsessed with the case very cringe. They were Facebook moderators acting like they were fbi agents and they all romanticized him. Also the guy who had one night of conversations with him singing a song and being emotional was cringe to me too lol maybe I?m just an a-hole. I just felt like everyone was chronically online.

Quote Originally Posted by of_corpse_not View Post
    Has anyone else watched documentary on this case? I found all the women obsessed with the case very cringe. They were Facebook moderators acting like they were fbi agents and they all romanticized him. Also the guy who had one night of conversations with him singing a song and being emotional was cringe to me too lol maybe I?m just an a-hole. I just felt like everyone was chronically online.
    I've heard that there's a documentary out about him, but it's on a streaming service that I can't get here

Are you saying that the documentary featured FB Mods for groups? Which groups?

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    I've heard that there's a documentary out about him, but it's on a streaming service that I can't get here

Are you saying that the documentary featured FB Mods for groups? Which groups?
    Natasha Teasley and Christie Harris were the two women who were moderators but I don?t remember the name of the groups.

Christie Harris posted about the documentary on that other site we do not speak of. Some highlights:

It dropped today and I am in it regretfully so. I am the one who got the email with the tip. After seeing it the first time in Florida, I was angry with what they did
    I never agreed with that trailer and actually fought with the director over it. He wasn’t a bad bad man. He was mentally ill and that characterization has me livid. I fought with the director over that last night. I don’t like stigmatizing the mentally ill to be told I wasnt
    I told them last night I wish they had just edited me out. I was told that they werent stigmatizing mental illness which they are. I’ve fought with the director constantly. She doesn’t understand. I went off when she started making comments about the doe community. Talking to them is like a brick wall. They don’t get it. I gave the long convo of his friend and I after she sent me the tip. They didn’t even look at it. It’s pretty clear
    https://www.websleuths.com/forums/th...557073/page-12

Quote Originally Posted by of_corpse_not View Post
    I think, from personal experiences in those types of groups, that lonely women tend to romanticize the subjects of some of their threads. I never got in that deeply but I spent some time in those groups. Actually two of those groups. Luckily my lack of attention span kept me on the outskirts and honestly, some of those ladies are wackadoodles.

About this man, I've just read up on him. I had never followed this one. His patterns remind me of my mom. Her mental illness was pretty glaring but she'd have this pattern that we would note and try to get her committed in time to pull her back out of it. She would just start going into a pause mode. She'd have raging fits, become almost wild eyed over little things but then would come this coma like state where she would lie on her bed or sit in a chair and just not move. She's go deep into her mind and not communicate, defecate where she was sitting/lying, not eat or drink, and pretty much become Shirley the human paper weight. She wouldn't focus on anyone or react to noises or touches. It usually ended with her regaining reality and not liking it so she would start to growl or hum. To be honest, at that point she was in need of a long visit to our local hospital's ward for the mentally ill. After a time she's become Shirley again.
    Reading this man's story and the info from his friends/girlfriends, it sounds similar. My Mom was diagnosed w/ Manic Depression and she was very bi-polar. I don't know the names for those now but back in the 60s - early 80s when I was growing up those were the terms they gave us.

I wonder if this man, w/ a history of these what I called 'pauses' went deep into one of his pauses and before he could regain himself it was too late.
    Marshmallow here is the one I liken to Ed Gein... Originally Posted by Heartbroken1

.... ... ........ . . ....

here's a picture of Rudy to fill the space where I double posted.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by marshmallow; 03-04-2024 at 07:08 AM. Reason: internet 1, me 0
    Marshmallow here is the one I liken to Ed Gein... Originally Posted by Heartbroken1

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    I think, from personal experiences in those types of groups, that lonely women tend to romanticize the subjects of some of their threads. I never got in that deeply but I spent some time in those groups. Actually two of those groups. Luckily my lack of attention span kept me on the outskirts and honestly, some of those ladies are wackadoodles.

About this man, I've just read up on him. I had never followed this one. His patterns remind me of my mom. Her mental illness was pretty glaring but she'd have this pattern that we would note and try to get her committed in time to pull her back out of it. She would just start going into a pause mode. She'd have raging fits, become almost wild eyed over little things but then would come this coma like state where she would lie on her bed or sit in a chair and just not move. She's go deep into her mind and not communicate, defecate where she was sitting/lying, not eat or drink, and pretty much become Shirley the human paper weight. She wouldn't focus on anyone or react to noises or touches. It usually ended with her regaining reality and not liking it so she would start to growl or hum. To be honest, at that point she was in need of a long visit to our local hospital's ward for the mentally ill. After a time she's become Shirley again.
    Reading this man's story and the info from his friends/girlfriends, it sounds similar. My Mom was diagnosed w/ Manic Depression and she was very bi-polar. I don't know the names for those now but back in the 60s - early 80s when I was growing up those were the terms they gave us.

I wonder if this man, w/ a history of these what I called 'pauses' went deep into one of his pauses and before he could regain himself it was too late.
    This does not seem like bipolar at all. It sounds like catatonic schizophrenia. Im sorry you had to go through that.

If I had to some up Rudy's pic in a caption it would say "grrr no"

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    This does not seem like bipolar at all. It sounds like catatonic schizophrenia. Im sorry you had to go through that.

If I had to some up Rudy's pic in a caption it would say "grrr no"
    Rudy was mad to me because I wasn't sharing my cookie but he heard the Mr come back from the kitchen so he put his ears on full alert for the possibility of him getting to share a snack w/ him.

I wish for her sake, my mom could have had more modern medicine and diagnosis because even in the 60s/early 70s there were misdiagnosis and treatment roulette sessions. But to me it was just Shirley being Shirley. I came to grips w/ it better than my brother did. He still does a mental fingers in his ears while he hums act when I try to talk about her.
    For all her faults and illnesses she was the bravest strongest woman I have ever met. She woke up most days and tried her hardest to fight off her monsters. But her monsters were in her mind/soul and yet she just kept trying and trying. Not a very good mother but a very brave woman.

another double post, another pic from the archives of my computer
    One of my happy places. We may be headed there this weekend for a slow stroll.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by marshmallow; 03-04-2024 at 09:29 AM. Reason: double the post or photo op. you pick

See, I had a feeling that they were going to stigmatize mental illness with him. He's basically a homeless person dealing with mental illness of which I have friends who are exactly him. I've worked with TOO MANY throughout the years that screamed "Mostly Harmless".

Now I want to see this doc because I just know it'll make me rage.

As for WS and their involvement, I have zero interest. They have zero credibility in my book. The producers looked for the most well known "armchair investigator" group and included them. Meh.

.... ... ........ . . ....

here's a picture of Rudy to fill the space where I double posted.
    I would caption this: Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    See, I had a feeling that they were going to stigmatize mental illness with him. He's basically a homeless person dealing with mental illness of which I have friends who are exactly him. I've worked with TOO MANY throughout the years that screamed "Mostly Harmless".

Now I want to see this doc because I just know it'll make me rage.

As for WS and their involvement, I have zero interest. They have zero credibility in my book. The producers looked for the most well known "armchair investigator" group and included them. Meh.
    I saw an episode of a show with that Tricia biah in it, and it was bad. 2/10 would not recommend.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

I saw an episode of a show with that Tricia biah in it, and it was bad. 2/10 would not recommend.
    She's a hack. She started that site right when True Crime was making a comeback and exploded on the internet so she basically got lucky with the popularity of it.

I don't know much about her but I do know I get my hand slapped, over there, when my posts aren't worded the right way.

I don't know much about her but I do know I get my hand slapped, over there, when my posts aren't worded the right way.
    Im banned for life I think

Im banned for life I think
    You and RBW reeked some havoc over there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    You and RBW reeked some havoc over there.

Thread Information