Deptford fire: Seven-year-old boy found dead after 'suspicious' house fire in London

Two women injured leaping from first-floor window of building in bid to escape flames

A seven-year-old boy has died following a fire in southeast London, which police are treating as ?suspicious?.

Firefighters were called to a home in Adolphus Street, Deptford, at around 3.25am on Tuesday morning to tackle what authorities described as a ?very severe? blaze.

Two women jumped to safety from the first floor of the property shortly before emergency services arrived, London Fire Brigade said.

They were later taken to a central London hospital to receive treatment, although their injuries are not thought to be life-threatening.


Police are investigating a suspected arson attack at the home in Adolphus Street, Deptford (PA)
The body of the young child was found by fire crews inside the property following the blaze, which is now being investigated by the Metropolitan Police as an arson attack.

The victim has been named as Joel Urhie, by his father, John Urie, who spoke to reporters at the scene.

?It?s terrible, the pain we cannot forget,? he said.

Neighbours spoke on Tuesday morning of their shock at the boy?s death, as investigators carried out enquiries inside the gutted home.

Mcklushia Myles, 36, said the boy had been ?like a son? to him.

?I am absolutely devastated,? Mr Myles added: ?My son is the same age, they were best friends. He's like family. He was always so happy.

?I slept through it. I didn't even know it happened until the neighbours came knocking on the door.

?It's unbelievable to know that he's gone. My head is all over the place. I'm trying to calm down.?

Wale Arthur, 39, said he had seen the boy and his family just days before the fatal incident.

?I saw him last on Friday. It was my birthday so we had a barbecue,? Mr Arthur said: ?He was a very happy lad.?

Authorities are treating the fire as an arson attack (PA)

Family friends said the boy lived at the home with his sister and their mother, who works as a nurse.

The ground and first floors of the property we badly damaged in the fire, which was brought under control by 4.50am.

A number of surrounding buildings were also evacuated by police as a precaution during the incident.

Scotland Yard said no arrests have been made in connection with the investigation and enquiries continued.