Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: The Vigilante Justice Thread

http://www.cleveland19.com/2019/03/2...-rape-suspect/

Well Once Richard Adams is in court we will end up having the debate over "Blame the hero" come into play.

EASTLAKE, OH (WOIO) - An Eastlake man arrested and charged with felony assault is speaking out.

Richard Adams, 20, said he just “snapped” after walking in on a 17-year-old boy sexually molesting a five-year-old boy last Thursday.

“I was doing laundry and I walked out and there was the 17-year-old and he had the five-year-old’s penis in his mouth."

Adams said after he got the 17-year-old away from the boy, he flew into a rage and started beating the teen.

We asked him what the child told him about the incident.

“He said that the 17-year-old had touched him right there and that he had touched him the night before,” replied Adams

After beating the teen, Adams posted a video on Facebook showing the battered teen covered in blood and being angrily questioned about the sexual assault.

Cleveland 19 is not revealing the 17-year-old’s face because he’s a juvenile, but police said he was also arrested and charged with rape.

Adams said he regrets posting the video, which has since been removed from Facebook, but that he doesn’t regret his actions to protect the child.

“I do feel sorry for the video. I should not have posted that and I do feel remorseful for that.”

He also said he hopes that others in the situation would’ve done the same thing.

“I want everyone to stop all the child offenders and predators out there. I don’t want any child to have to go through that."

While Adams acted to protect the future of the 5-year-old boy, he’s now worried about his own.

“I am scared. I have a kid on the way and I do want to be there for my child’s birth and that’s the only thing that’s worrying me right now. I almost want to cry saying it,” said Adams.
    Eastlake police said the investigation is ongoing.

Meanwhile, Adams is out on $5,000 personal bond, while the accused teen remains in custody.

We’re told the 5-year-old is now in protective custody.

Adams’ next court appearance is in April and his uncle has started a GoFundMe to help cover his legal fees.

Eastlake Police Department on March 24 addressed an avalanche of support for a young man charged with assaulting a teen that he said he caught molesting a child.

The Facebook post is as follows: “We have received numerous emails, phone calls and communications in which people have expressed their emotions and frustrations with the recent case that we had involving the investigation of a rape of a 5-year old and the assault of the accused 17-year-old male. The 20-year-old male accused of assaulting the 17-year-old has been out on a personal bond since the day after the incident and has been assigned a court date.

"We truly understand the interest, passion and concerns with this type of case. It has been processed by the court and will continue to go through the system. Most of the people within our police departments, courts and the entire justice system have families of their own, and the men and women are diligently working to ensure that everything is done correctly so that justice is served.

"To attack people within the system to achieve a certain outcome is not what justice is about. We appreciate the impact that this story has had on the community and beyond but we expect people to be civil in expressing their disagreement and/or support of what has and will take place.”

There were more than 300 comments on the post calling Richard L. Adams a hero and for police to drop felonious assault charges against him. The 17-year-old was charged with rape, according to police.

Chief Larry Reik said Adams’ social media post interviewing the bloodied teen after the assault and prior to their arrests spread the word about the incident across the country. The post has since been taken down.

“I had like 11 voicemails from people from Texas to New Jersey telling us what we should be doing,” he said. “Most people aren’t aware of how the process actually works. ...

“We have people calling our dispatch screaming at our call takers about something they definitely had no control over. Respect the process.”

Reik said he wasn't certain of the relationship between the 17-year-old and the 5-year-old, both of whom lived in the home where the incident occurred, at 1458 E. 363 St.

“The 20-year-old has another tie to the house, but I don’t know for sure if he lives there,” the chief said.

The police report had Adams’ address listed as Painesville.

“I don’t feel like I should’ve been arrested in this situation,” Adams told News 5 Cleveland. “I feel like if you’re stopping a crime, that you should be able to walk free from helping someone who could not protect themselves in this situation.”

Adams is scheduled to appear in court on April 2, according to Willoughby Municipal Court, the Channel 5 report said.

Meanwhile, a GoFundMe account started by his uncle March 22 to cover Adams’ legal bills had already raised nearly $11,000 from 500 contributors as of the afternoon of March 24.

Accompanying the request for help was this description from his uncle: “Ricky Adams 20 of Eastlake walked into a room where a 17-year-old male had a 5-year-old’s penis in his mouth. Ricky, without thinking, pushed the 17-year-old off the 5-year-old and beat him pretty bad. Ricky blacked out as flashbacks from his childhood were hitting him. He now faces a felony of the 2nd degree carrying 2-8 years in prison. He needs (Lake County’s) best to defend him. Unfortunately, his job is seasonal and (he) hasn’t returned back to work yet. Only gets enough while laid off to pay needed bills. Anything will help him. FYI am Ricky’s uncle.”
    https://www.news-herald.com/news/lak...7a29e3262.html

More a court case for both Adams and the suspect is on April 2nd.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...-molesting-boy

Now the Police get backlash for the Richard Adams incident.

EASTLAKE, Ohio — The Eastlake Police Department posted to Facebook to respond to community outrage over the arrest of Richard Adams, who was also charged with felonious assault for attacking a teen he allegedly witnessed molesting a 5-year-old boy.

“We have received numerous e mails, phone calls and communications in which people have expressed their emotions and frustrations with the recent case that we had involving the investigation of a rape of a 5 year old and the assault of the accused 17 year old male,” the post states.

The post goes on to state that Adams has been out on a personal bond since Friday, the day after the incident occurred, and he has been assigned a court date.

We truly understand the interest, passion and concerns with this type of case,” the post continues. “It has been processed by the court and will continue to go through the system. Most of the people within our police departments, courts and the entire justice system have families of their own and the men and women are diligently working to ensure that everything is done correctly so that justice is served.”

The post concludes: “To attack people within the system to achieve a certain outcome is not what justice is about. We appreciate the impact that this story has had on the community and beyond but we expect people to be civil in expressing their disagreement and/or support of what has and will take place.”

Adams, 20, was arrested and charged after a fight broke out between him and the 17-year-old who he saw sexually assaulting a 5-year-old-boy, according to an Eastlake police report.

https://fox8.com/2019/03/28/17-year-...pear-in-court/

Update

EASTLAKE, Ohio-- Prosecutors moved to try a 17-year-old accused of raping a 5-year-old as an adult.

The teen boy is facing rape and felony gross sexual imposition charges.

Eastlake police said 20-year-old Richard L. Adams walked into a room in his house and found the teen molesting the young victim on March 21.

Adams said he pushed the teen off the child and yelled for others in the house to call police. Adams was charged with felonious assault and he is due in court April 2.

"I wanted to help the young boy and that was all I was thinking about was getting it stopped," Adams told FOX 8.

http://www.cleveland19.com/2019/03/2...-rape-suspect/

CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) - A Northeast Ohio man facing a charge for felonious assault is receiving support from across the country for allegedly beating up a child rape suspect.

More than $37,000 has been donated to a GoFundMe created for 20-year-old Richard Adams, as of Wednesday afternoon.

Now, supporters have created an online petition demanding that the prosecutor in charge of Adams’ case drops the assault charge.

More than 2,000 people have already signed the petition in support of Adams. A goal of 5,000 signatures has been set.

Eastlake police arrested Adams for allegedly assaulting a teen boy suspected of sexually molesting a young boy.

Adams told Cleveland 19 News that he “snapped” and started beating the 17-year-old. He then posted a video on Facebook showing aftermath of the assault on the teen.

Both Adams and the 17-year-old boy were arrested and charged in connection to the incident, but have since been released on bond, according to the Eastlake Police Department.

Adams is scheduled to appear in Willoughby Municipal Court again on April 2.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-47719257

A reported vigilante incident in France

A series of unprovoked vigilante attacks on France's Roma community have erupted after false reports spread online about child abductions.

But police say the warnings of a "man in a white van" kidnapping children off the streets are "totally unfounded".

Some 20 people were arrested on Monday night after attacking the Roma community with makeshift weapons.

A police chief in one of the suburbs warned officers of "a psychosis that is starting to set in."

Claims of a man in a van abducting children and others - reportedly to fuel prostitution rings or the illegal organ trade - have been circulating online in recent weeks.

Sometimes the van is red, or yellow, in a different region, or of Bulgarian or Romanian origin. The reports have spread rapidly on Whatsapp, Snapchat, and other social media networks.

But there is no evidence of any of them.

What's going on in France?
    "Rumours about kidnapping children with a van are completely unfounded. No abductions have been proven," Paris police wrote on Twitter on Monday.

"Do not share this false information, do not incite violence," it warned.

Monday night's attacks on the Roma community happened in the neighbouring Clichy-sous-Bois and Bobigny areas north-east of central Paris. French broadcaster BFMTV said the attackers had armed themselves with baseball bats, knives, and rocks - and between the two areas, there were about 70 people involved in the vigilante mob.

City officials have joined the police in saying there are no reports of any missing people that could have been abducted in such a manner, nor any matching reports of attempted kidnapping.

Yet the online rumours have continued to spread - along with video footage of attacks on van drivers "matching" a supposed description of the alleged kidnapper, across several regions.

Some show a van passing at speed to escape men on foot. Another shows a person huddled in a white van, with its door open, while hooded men throw rocks at them.

Stranger Danger: Still the right message for children?
    How common are child abductions?
    French media outlets have debunked images that claim to show a suspicious van "spotted" by a supposed well-meaning citizen – which are sometimes years old, or from a different region.

The rumours have parallels to last year's lynchings in India, where several people were killed by mobs based on false videos circulating on Whatsapp, purporting to show abductions.

Roma human rights collective Romeurope issued a statement saying: "Anti-Roma racism is, in France, the most widespread form of racism."

The "descent of armed men" on the "shanty towns" had left the victims "living in terror", it said, with adults holding watch through the night.

Those who drive a van for work "do not dare go out to continue their usual activities".

The man in a van 'myth'
    The child abductor in a van - usually a white one - is a well-known, almost stereotypical image. Hundreds of similar reports and warnings abound online from local new outlets across the globe.

France's Lib?ration newspaper says (in French) that the story has "haunted the web for years" in Belgium, Germany, and France.

It was labelled an "urban myth" by Australia's ABC News as far back as 2009, when a state crime statistics expert said most such reports were false.

In 2012, Sweden followed suit, with a detective inspector telling newspapers that the white van urban myth had been around for 10 years - most likely because it was the most common type of van.

The workman's van in a white colour is ubiquitous on the roads of many nations - to the extent that "white van man" is a well-used phrase in British life.

Yet the risk of child abduction by strangers is a genuine concern.

In the UK, there were 1,189 child abduction offences in 2017/18 - 20% of which were committed by a family member, 40% by non-family that the child knows, and the remaining 40% by strangers - about 475 offences.

But most of those are attempted abductions, rather than completed abductions.

Current UK police advice to children is based on a campaign titled "clever never goes" - warning children that while not all adult strangers are dangerous, they should never go anywhere with an adult unexpectedly - even with those they may already know.

http://www.cleveland19.com/2019/04/0...t-faces-judge/

Now a court hearing is delayed.

. CLEVELAND, OH (WOIO) - The 20-year-old charged with felonious assault for intervening and attacking an alleged child rape suspect was supposed to appear in court Tuesday afternoon, but his hearing was postponed.

The preliminary hearing for Richard Adams, of Painesville, has been continued to April 10 at 1 p.m.

Adams claimed that he walked in on a 17-year-old boy who had a 5-year-old boy’s penis in his mouth at an Eastlake home.

Adams said he “snapped” and started beating the 17-year-old. He then posted a video on Facebook showing aftermath of the assault. He can be heard interrogating the teen about the alleged rape on the video.

Both Adams and the rape suspect, who is scheduled to appear in court again next week, have been released on bond.

A GoFundMe created for Adams’ legal battles has raised over $40,000. Supporters have also launched a petition asking that Adams’ charges are dropped.

https://www.news-herald.com/news/hea...dff3da0fa.html

Apparently thats been changed

A hearing was continued for the 20-year-old Painesville man facing an assault charge after being accused of fighting with a 17-year-old Eastlake boy after he walked in on the teen allegedly molesting a 5-year-old.

The pretrial hearing scheduled for April 2 is now scheduled for April 16 in Willoughby Municipal Court.

Richard L. Adams is facing second-degree felony felonious assault stemming from the March 21 incident.

Adams has received support online, including GoFundMe account set up by his uncle to help pay for legal costs which has now raised more than $40,500. More than 1,600 people have donated to the account.

Pretrial hearing held for Eastlake teen accused of raping 5-year-old
    He is now represented by attorney Richard J. Perez, who declined commenting on the ongoing case to gathered reporters at the municipal court April 2.

Jeff Cook, Adams’ uncle, wrote in an update on the GoFundMe page that Adams plans on doing something “very nice” for the 5-year-old victim. Cook added that Adams is also looking into a non-profit to donate to for abused children.

The 17-year-old is currently detained in the Lake County Juvenile Detention Center. He is facing two counts of first-degree felony rape and two counts of third-degree felony gross sexual imposition.

The Lake County Prosecutor’s Office is seeking to have the 17-year-old tried as an adult. Following an April 9 probable cause hearing, an amenability hearing will be scheduled.

Lake County Juvenile Court Magistrate Christopher P. Tucci explained to the suspect at a March 28 hearing that prior to the amenability hearing, the court will order an investigation into his social history, education, family situation, and a mental examination will be conducted.

If it is determined that the 17-year-old is not amenable to the juvenile court system, his case will be bound over to the adult court.

https://sports.yahoo.com/paedophile-...140351757.html

Vigilante Attacked

A paedophile hunter had his finger bitten off by a sex offender when he tried to restrain him after an online sting operation.

Grandfather Steve Little, 60, from Fazakerley, Liverpool, was working with vigilante group Catching Online Predators when the little finger on his left hand was bitten off by Thomas Jean De-Castle-Lynne.

De-Castle-Lynne, 46, thought he was meeting a 14-year-old girl, but was instead confronted by members of the group at Stevenage railway station last April.

In the ensuing struggle, Mr Little’s finger was bitten off, and although doctors reattached it, it was later amputated when the wound became infected.

In December, De-Castle-Lynne, from Parsons Green, Hammersmith, was sentenced to 10 years in prison – nine for wounding with intent; one year for grooming a child under 16 for sexual activity; two months for racially aggravated harm and two weeks for common assault. He is also on the sex offenders’ register for life.

Mr Little, a retired nurse, said: “A colleague and I had been posing up as a 14-year-old girl online who agreed to meet Thomas Jean De-Castle-Lynne.

“He wanted to meet at a train station and thought the girl was coming alone, he had no idea it would be a group of us.

“The messages he sent were disgusting, and I was passionate about bringing him to justice.

“But once he realised, he completely lost the plot – he ended up punching the woman filming in the face, which is when the team and I tackled him to the ground.

“It wasn’t until it was too late that I noticed my finger was in his mouth.

“There was my blood all in his mouth but he didn’t let go – the pain was excruciating as he clamped down on my little finger. It was torn straight off and was hanging by just a small amount of flesh.”

The incident was Mr Little’s first and last time working with Catching Online Predators.

A medical team at Stevenage Hospital managed to staple his finger back into place but a few days later he noticed the flesh was starting to rot. The finger was later amputated.

He said: “I can’t describe how bad the pain was – my finger was just there, dangling in the wind.

“I was a nurse for 18 years, so I knew things weren’t looking good. But I’d happily do it again to stop men like him roaming out streets.

“I may have lost my finger, but someone else may have lost a child, so that gives me comfort.”

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/two-teenag...6upML6MAm_Cy5E

One of the 17-year-olds was charged and remanded to appear at Birmingham Magistrates’ Court on Saturday morning.

Officers arrested another two teenagers on Friday evening on suspicion of involvement in the attacks, bringing the total number of arrests to five.

The teenagers aged 17 and 18 were questioned by detectives, and the 17-year-old was charged with one count of robbery.

He has been remanded to appear at Birmingham Magistrates’ Court on Monday at 10am.

The other three teenagers arrested as part of the investigation have been released under police bail with strict conditions.

Police said the safest place for people planning to meet someone they have contacted on any dating app is in a well-populated public area.

https://punchng.com/police-disown-vi...gs-in-adamawa/

A vigilante group in Adamawa State, known as Tapital Pulaaku Jode Jam, has been accused of carrying out extra-judicial killings, while claiming to have the approval of the Nigeria Police to rid Mubi North, Mubi South, Maiha and other boundary communities between Nigeria and Cameroon of criminals.

The police, however, denied granting any approval to the group to operate in the area.

Efforts by our correspondent to get the group’s reaction to the police denial were not successful as none of the leaders could be reached.

The state Commissioner of Police, Adamu Madaki, said he had received intelligence reports from the Divisional Police Officer in Mubi about the activities of the group, saying its leaders would be arrested for interrogation and prosecution if found to have committed the illegal acts.

In a petition written to the police and the Director of State Security Services, two lawyers, Abubakar Kolone and Umar Sangere of Goshi Chambers, representing the victims’ families, accused the vigilante members of torturing and extorting their victims.

The lawyers also demanded the arrest of the leader of the vigilante group, Ali Gutu, alleging that several persons were arrested and later executed by members of the group.

The petition read in part, “People were arrested and executed in the Buladega Mugulvu State Development Area of Mubi South Council Area on March 13, 2019, including the Sarkin Shanu of Gella, Rilwanu Usman, Umaru Pakanaiza, Bello Kippa, Adamu Udajo, Habu Mubi, Ahmadu Abdu, Bello Babajo and Kawu Ba’Jaule.

“The corpses of Sarkin Shanu and Rilwanu Usman were mutilated; Shanu’s eyes were plucked out and Usman’s tongue was cut off; N10m was collected from Shanu before he was executed and N3m and two mobile telephones were collected by the leader of the vigilante from Usman.”

A relation of one of the victims, Nuru Usman, told journalists in Yola that the group executed his brother, Rilwanu, after apprehending him at the Haliberth area of Mubi over claims that he was involved in the kidnapping of a girl.

He said the group carried out the killing despite the fact that the police were investigating the allegation.

“The atrocities of the group are so much. Right now, they have killed more than 20 persons. They arrest, try and summarily execute their victims, claiming that they have the consent of the police and the state governor, who is from Mubi, to rid the area of crime and criminal gangs,” Usman added.

Abubakar Abali, who also claimed to be a victim of the group, said N620,000 and 14 cows were taken from him by the members of the group and pleaded with the police to retrieve the money and his cattle.

Although there were claims that the group got an approval to operate from a former Assistant Inspector-General of Police in Zone 3, Usman Tilli, the current AIG in charge of the zone, Haruna Mshelia, denied such approval.

“The police in the state never gave the group any approval and it could not have had the consent of the police in usurping the police authority and killing people at will,” he said.

https://orientdailynews.com.ng/crime...ice-suspected/

The rate by which jungle justice is being meted out on suspected criminals in Cross River has not gone down well with a legal luminary in the state, Chief Utum Eteng, who said there is possibility of the innocent being killed unjustly with the way things were being done.

Barr Eteng reacting to the roasting to death of a suspected motorcycle thief in Ugep, Yakurr local government area in central Cross River last week.

His words: “I know that stealing is bad but killing in any form and in any manner howsoever is highly condemnable by the laws of God and the laws of the state. It is for this reason that whosoever violently kills is said to have committed murder.

“It is painful for a loved one to be violently killed without being tried because the narrative may not be completely correct. For the fear of mistaken identity and one being himself a murderer, jungle justice should not be contemplated no matter the provocation or even purported evident against the culprit.

“Jungle justice has never been the solution in all civilised climes. By all standards, Ugep Town is a civilised clime. Let us not set barbaric precedents or allow Ugep to see such barbaric act again. For any crime allegedly committed, let the instrument of the law be our portion.”

READ ALSO Kanu's trial: Igbo group accuses judge of bias, unfit to dispense justice
    Recall that a mob had snatched a suspected motorcycle thief from the Police at the palace of Obol Lopon of Ugep, and within minutes set the suspect ablaze while the police remained helpless. The suspect was said to have been initially dragged to the Obol Lopon of Ugep, who accordingly invited the security agency to take over the matter.

Narrating what happened, an eyewitness who preferred anonymity said the anger of the mob was kindled when they discovered that the suspect had himself took part in burning to death a motorbike owner in Adim who was a native of Ugep, and that it was the same bike that the suspect went to Ugep with to dispose of.

He said “people began to smell something fishy as one man who recognised the bike raised an alarm. The suspected thief was then apprehended and later dragged to the palace of the Obol Lopon of Ugep under the hot sun. The Paramount Ruler then invited the Police.

READ ALSO IGP warns against jungle justice, human rights violation
    “But, some residents of the town would not allow the Police proceed with the suspect away from the palace as they snatched him from them and burnt him alive. The Royal father and the Police could not do anything to stop them.”

Speaking also, one Lokuzo John Etim said “a young man was burnt to death in Ugep for allegedly killing his fellow man while trying to steal his bike. The level at which young men proliferate small arms and resultantly kill one another in recent times calls for strictest measures.”

Holy shit, just let this kid go. I mean, who amongst us would not have flipped out in the way that he did? That kid is lucky he walked outta the room. Seriously. Ugh.

Quote Originally Posted by marshmallow View Post
    did you make her into a wallet Bill? cuz if you did I'm off team Bill.

https://dailypost.ng/2019/03/28/irat...h-cross-river/

Nigeria mob attack

A middle aged man has been burnt to death over theft of motorcycle in Ugep, Yakurr local government area of Cross River State.

The victim was alleged to have murdered a motorcycle owner in Adim in Biase local government area of Cross River, stole his motorcycle and took it to Ugep with a bag of Garri to sell.

The incident occurred in the afternoon of Tuesday when the victim was burnt to death by aggrieved mob that condemned his purported action of murdering another man.

DAILY POST gathered that the victim was said to have attacked a motorbike owner in Adim who is a native of Ugep, stole his bike and found his way to Ugep with a bag of Garri to sell there.

Our correspondent gathered that luck ran out on him as he was apprehended when information got out. He was dragged to the Palace of the Obol Lopon of Ugep, who in turn called for the Police.

Disappointingly, some indigenes and residents of Ugep, who did not allow the Police to take the suspect away from the palace, snatched him from the police and burnt him to death.

An eyewitness, who pleaded that his name should not be mentioned, described the incident as sad, adding that a young man was burnt to death in Ugep for allegedly killing his fellow man while trying to steal his bike.

?The level at which young men proliferate small arms and kill one another in recent times calls for the strictest measures,? he said.

??This act of jungle justice is condemnable especially at a time when there is a national outcry against it, but in this particular case, I think it?s unavoidable.

?The jungle justice solution seems the best because if such culprits are apprehended and within a few weeks, they are found amongst us. It?s either a politician have made a call or the police as usual has compromised. It?s better we end it this way. Let the burning continue.?

When contacted on phone on Thursday, the Police Public Relations Officer in the state, Irene Ugbo lamented the incident, saying that the Command had warn severally that members of the public should not take laws into their hands.

?I am surprise that people are still taking laws into their hands. We have warned severally that people should not take laws into their hands, report matters to the police but they refused. However, we are investigating the matter and those involved would be prosecuted,? she added.

https://dailypost.ng/2019/03/22/jung...ed-kidnappers/

The incessant cases of kidnapping and armed banditry in Katsina State have taken a new dimension in Kankara town, in Kankara Local Government Area of the state.

PRNigeria reports that residents of the area on Thursday night mobilized and killed two bandits out of several number of them who besieged the town to cause mayhem.

However, a car dealer and a businessman of Yandaki Village in Kaita Local Government Council, was not lucky as they were kidnapped from their residence.

Kankara town has a major highway connecting travelers from Abuja and kaduna to Katsina town, the state capital.

A community leader, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said they resorted to self-help to protect their lives and property due to the incessant banditry and kidnapping in the area.

“The other bandits had to escape when they discovered that residents really prepared and ambushed them in a surprise attack,” the source said.

Police Public Relations Officer of Katsina Command, SP Gambo Isa, said he would speak on the incident after contacting the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) of Kankara.

Kidnapping is rampant in most local government areas of Katsina State especially in Jibia, Dandume, Faskari, Sabuwa, Danmusa, Safana, Kankara, Batsari, Dutsinma, Kurfi, Funtua and Katsina metropolis.

Some of the councils border the dreaded Rugu forest, which serves as hideout for bandits. The rise is also said to be fallout of the insecurity in neighboring Zamfara State, which also borders the forest.

The bandits are not only intercepting travellers on the major highways in the state but storm towns and residences to pick their victims randomly.

An 80-year-old Mother-in-Law of the State Governor, Hajiya Maistiyari who was kidnapped at her residence in Sabon Gari area of Katsina State was released after eight days in the custody of her abductors.
    Mob attacks Kidnappers.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...ppear-in-court

WILLOUGHBY, Ohio — A Painesville man facing charges for allegedly attacking a teen he walked in on molesting a 5-year-old boy in Eastlake last month will appear in court Wednesday afternoon.

Richard Adams, 20, has been charged with felonious assault.

Adams is scheduled to appear in Willoughby Municipal Court at 1 p.m. for a preliminary hearing, according to court records.

According to the report, Adams walked into a room and found the 17-year-old sexually assaulting the child and a fight broke out between the two.

Following the incident, authorities arrested Adams as well as the teen. The teen has been charged with two counts of rape and two counts of gross sexual imposition, according to authorities.

News of the incident has made its way across the country and Adams has received a wide range of support, from people calling him a hero to others offering to pay for his legal costs.

Since Adams was arrested and later released on a personal bond, hundreds of people have flooded the Eastlake Police Department’s official Facebook page. Dozens more have called into the offices of Mayor Dennis Morley and Chief Larry Reik.

Chief Reik said he was working the day the incident happened and conferred with the shift lieutenant. The chief agreed with the determination to arrest both parties and let prosecutors determine how to best proceed with both cases.

“We’re just one part of the criminal justice system,” Chief Reik said.

Despite the public outcry denouncing Adams’ arrest, Michael Benza, a senior law instructor at Case Western Reserve University, said Eastlake police treated the situation as they should have.
    Here is another court hearing for Richard Adams.

https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/...-molesting-boy

EASTLAKE, Ohio — The social media furor continues to surround the arrest of a 20-year-old man last week for assaulting a 17-year-old male who was allegedly molesting a 5-year-old boy. While many people from all across the country have called for charges against 20-year-old Ricky Adams to be dropped, legal experts believe Eastlake police acted appropriately by arresting Adams and the 17-year-old perpetrator, then letting prosecutors sort the cases out.

Since Adams was arrested and later released on a personal bond, hundreds of people have flooded the Eastlake Police Department’s official Facebook page. Dozens more have called into the offices of Mayor Dennis Morley and Chief Larry Reik.

Some of those callers have left profanity-laced voicemails.

Eastlake police arrested Adams last week on suspicion of felonious assault after he allegedly attacked the teenager who Adams claims was molesting the young boy. Adams said he was doing laundry when he walked into a room and reported seeing the teen with the boy’s penis in his mouth.

Adams said he regrets posting a video on Facebook showing the 17-year-old’s bloodied face immediately after the assault. The video has since been removed. The 17-year-old has been preliminarily charged with two counts of rape and two counts of gross sexual imposition. His identity has not been released.

“I kind of just blacked out and snapped and didn’t know how to react in that situation,” Adams told News 5. “I pushed the 17-year-old off of him and then he said, ‘What are you going to do about it?’ That’s kind of where I blacked out the most.”

Adams said by witnessing the assault, it triggered painful memories of being molested as a child.

Despite the public outcry denouncing Adams’ arrest, Michael Benza, a senior law instructor at Case Western Reserve University, said Eastlake police treated the situation as they should have.

“The police are getting a lot of flak here for doing exactly what they are supposed to do. We have evidence that two different crimes have been committed in this case. We are going to arrest both of them. We are going to refer this to the prosecutor and the prosecutor will decide what we are going to do,” Benza said. “In some regards you see this oftentimes in domestic violence situations. The police arrive on the scene with a 911 call about a domestic violence situation. The husband has a black eye. The wife is standing there with a frying pan and she has a black eye. [The husband] has a knife in his hand. You just arrest both. They let it get figured out after they get everybody through the process.”

Chief Reik said he was working the day the incident happened and conferred with the shift lieutenant. The chief agreed with the determination to arrest both parties and let prosecutors determine how to best proceed with both cases.

“We’re just one part of the criminal justice system,” Chief Reik said.

Chief Reik said he understands people’s concerns with Adams’ arrest and respects their right to express those concerns, so long as they do so lawfully and respectfully.

Benza said whatever information is uncovered throughout the subsequent investigation will determine how the case proceeds and whether prosecutors will move forward with or drop charges against Adams.

Under Ohio law, someone can use force in order to help another person that they reasonably believe to be in danger. However, that person cannot use more force than what is considered reasonable.

What is considered to be “reasonable force” will be determined by the facts of the case, Benza said.

“One of the questions for the prosecutor is to find out the facts of how much force was being used. What was the nature of the attack that was happening when he came to the defense of the 5-year-old boy, and then was that a proper use of force given the circumstances?” Benza said. “The law would want somebody to step in and rescue that child. The law would want that person and authorize that person to use a degree of force to protect that child. But there may be an issue of too much force.”

Benza, who has more than 20 years of experience as an attorney, said prosecutors might also run into two major hurdles if they opt to proceed with charges against Adams. A potential jury might be sympathetic to Adams for stopping the reported sexual assault. Additionally, the 17-year-old victim of the alleged assault has the constitutional right to avoid self-incrimination.

“The victim of the assault is the defendant in the underlying sexual assault charge. Any attempts to investigate [what happened to the 17-year-old] is going to implicate that person’s Fifth Amendment rights not to talk about the fact that he is a defendant in another charge,” Benza said.

Adams will have his preliminary hearing on April 2.

A GoFundMe page set up to raise money for Adams’ defense has already generated more than $30,000.

https://ktxs.com/news/abilene/vigila...ene-strip-club

Update Michael Hall pleads guilty for the shooting.

https://www.news-herald.com/news/cri...f3ee82770.html
    A Painesville man who fought a 17-year-old who was allegedly molesting a five-year-old pleaded guilty April 10 to a lesser charge.

Richard Adams, 20, was originally facing a second-degree felonious assault charge stemming from the March 21 incident in Eastlake.

Adams pleaded guilty in Willoughby Municipal Court to first-degree misdemeanor assault and will be placed in a first offender program.

“What he did was really in the heat of passion and that was to stop something he’d never seen before,” Adams’ attorney Richard Perez said.

Adams had previously told reporters that he did not think that he should have been arrested. His case received an outpouring of support online, including from a GoFundMe account that has now raised more than $40,000 from more than 1,620 contributors.

“I’d just like to thank everyone who supported me,” Adams told reporters after his hearing.

Adams said that he was hoping for his case to be dismissed, but said he was happy with the lesser charge.

Jeff Cook, Adams’ uncle, previously posted on the GoFundMe account page that with the funds raised for court costs, Adams was also planning on doing something “very nice” for the 5-year-old victim.

Cook added that Adams is also looking into a non-profit to donate to for abused children. Adams said after the hearing that he had not determined where to donate the money yet.

Following Adams' arrest, the Eastlake police stated they've “received numerous emails, phone calls and communications in which people have expressed their emotions and frustration” over the charge.

The 17-year-old is currently being held in the Lake County Juvenile Detention Center. He is facing two counts of first-degree felony rape and two counts of third-degree felony gross sexual imposition.

Prosecutors in the case are seeking to have him tried as an adult. If found guilty on all charges and tried as an adult, the 17-year-old faces a maximum of two life sentences plus 10 years.

Before an amenability hearing is held to determine whether he should be tried as an adult, the juvenile will receive a second competency evaluation, which is expected to be completed within the next two weeks.

A competency hearing in the Lake County Juvenile Court is scheduled for May 8 and a preliminary hearing is scheduled for May 20.
    This man is a hero. As a mother to a young boy, I don't think I could have stopped beating him, even after he stopped breathing. Mr. Adam should have had all charges against him dropped.

I also hope they end up trying and convicting him as an adult. He doesn't deserve to ever see the world outside of a prison cell again.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...istic-14433594

2 vigilantes in the UK accused of beating a disabled boy.

https://www.rt.com/news/456805-kenya...ects-killings/

Kenyan vigilantes are named in death squads.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/cri...-creep-catcher

A lot can change in a year.

If anyone should be able to relate to that, it is Connor Bevins.

He was best known in April 2018 as the Palmy Creep Catcher, on a quest to keep Palmerston North's children safe from sexual predators.

He laid traps online, luring alleged paedophiles into public so he could confront, film and expose them.

Connor Bevins stands in the Palmerston North District Court dock, not long after he was charged with making harmful digital communications in relation to his creep catching escapades. himself.

Bevins shielded his face as he was sentenced in the Palmerston North District Court on Wednesday to two years and eight months in jail for offences under the Harmful Digital Communications Act.

It is the harshest penalty since the act became law in 2015.

His victims and their family watched from the public gallery as his lawyer told the court how Bevins had struggled to live with himself since his arrest.

One of his victims had died in a suspected suicide and others had called crisis helplines, the court heard.

Judge Jim Large said Bevins' actions were vindictive, cruel and premeditated, and vilified innocent people on social media, the most public forum on the internet.

"You decided what you thought they were. You were effectively judge, jury and executioner.

"Vigilante law in New Zealand is not how our law works. Paedophiles are people who offend against children. The person you were reporting to be was far from a child."

In a letter read to the court, Bevins said he thought about this victims each day.

"I can't imagine what they have been through... I want to say sorry."

All his offending took place in less than a month, all spawned from a strong motive – preventing people ending up like himself.

When interviewed by Stuff in April 2018, Bevins said he was a victim of sexual abuse.

His life was going well before he started Palmy Creep Catchers – he had a job and a girlfriend – but things fell apart because he never properly dealt with his past.

"I just kept having that thought in my head because I didn't talk to anyone about it."

He took notice of the Surrey Creep Catchers, a Canadian group formed with the aim of outing alleged paedophiles.

Bevins followed the Surrey model, making fake profiles on dating apps and websites such as NZ Dating and Grindr​, posing as an underage child despite the apps and websites requiring users to be 18 or older.

He arranged to meet the people he matched with, picking places such as parks, shopping malls and fast food restaurants.

He filmed every encounter, hitting record while walking to the meeting spot and giving a description of the target.

He was always brief and to the point when he shoved the camera in his target's face.

"Hi I'm Palmy Creep Catchers and you're here to meet an underage girl for sex."

Things then went one of two ways. Either the target would take off, or they would talk.

If they ran, Bevins chased them, telling them he had chat logs of what was said between the "minor" and the target. Occasionally, he verbally abused them.

He yelled at bystanders, saying he was "Palmy Creep Catchers" and the man he was following was a paedophile.

Videos ended with him uttering "you're done, bruv", a riff on Surrey group's catchphrase: "Yer done, bud".

The videos were posted to YouTube and a Facebook page Bevins set up.

The Facebook page, deleted soon after his arrest in April 2018, attracted hundreds of comments, likes and followers.

The comments consisted of people tagging their friends, outing the alleged paedophiles, messages of support for Bevins' crusade and, occasionally, someone saying he should leave it to police.

Catching was a vexing process for Bevins.

"I don't want to be a vigilante. I just want these people down."

Police told him his methods did not meet their strict standards, but he was adamant he had to keep going.

But he did no research into the best way to "catch", or even if it was legal.

He was willing to go to jail, boasting he would get someone to take up the moniker of Palmy Creep Catcher while he was inside.

No Palmy Creep Catchers material has appeared online – apart from a meme page, complete with downloadable cellphone ring tones inspired by Bevins – since his arrest.

All his videos courted controversy,

Published as a two-part video, it showed Bevins meeting a person with a brain injury in The Plaza shopping mall in Palmerston North.

It is an awkward, painful encounter to watch, starting in the food court and moving to the car park.

All the way through the target talks, and talks, and talks.

Bevins keeps asking questions, keeps the conversation flowing. The camera keeps rolling.

Bevins called himself the Palmy Creep Catcher during his misguided pedophile hunting crusade, and often lured his targets to The Square, in the middle of the city.
    He copped a lot of flack on his Facebook page, people arguing over if it was right to show a clearly ill person in that light.

As Bevins continued his crusade, his tactics changed.

People started joining him on stings, most of them wearing shirts emblazoned with "Anti-P Ministry" and armed with smartphones capable of video.

One night-time encounter resulted in Bevins nearly being dragged by a car down the road, after he opened the front passenger's door of a target's vehicle and put his foot inside.

He and his crew would try to take car keys from targets while saying they were under citizen's arrest.

He took his crusade to Taupō for arguably his most dangerous encounter.

The video begins with someone standing behind a car in a driveway. Bevins is at the front.

He announces themselves as non-violent vigilantes. They claim they are placing the person in the car under citizen's arrest.

As the driver tries to escape, Bevins jumps on the bonnet, saying: "I'm not scared".

His tone soon changes, his breathing indicating someone suddenly realising they are in trouble.

He makes deep throaty screams as the car drives down the road. His focus goes from capture to survival, as he begs the driver to stop.

The driver complies, giving Bevins and an associate a chance to go for the car keys.

The target once again accelerates, dragging Bevins a few metres down the road before taking off around the corner.

It was the last of his stings, with police arresting him soon after.

Crown prosecutor Joshua Harvey said Bevins deliberately set out to humiliate his targets and disguised his crusade as if it was a public service.

It was a vile scheme, which entrapped innocent people who had good reason to believe Bevins was not underage, he said.

"This is a man who tried to make a name for himself."

Evidence: the available body of facts or information indicating whether a belief or proposition is true or valid – Oxford Dictionary

While Bevins' stings resulted in no criminal charges against the people he targeted, Surrey Creep Catchers' evidence has been used in Canadian courts.

Surrey Creep Catchers' president Ryan Laforge​ told Global News in 2018 it was "a breath of fresh air" to see their evidence used.

But that air has since soured, as the Canadian Supreme Court ruled in March it was wrong to expect a defendant in a child-luring case to prove the person they were talking to was legally old enough.

The court said it was unconstitutional to shift the burden of proof to a defendant, so prosecutors now need to prove the accused believed the person was underage.

There are fears convictions secured using Surrey Creep Catchers footage will be quashed as a result.

Meanwhile, Laforge and another member of the group have pleaded guilty to assaulting people during stings.

Laforge has also been slapped with defamation suits in relation to his activities.

But Bevins and Laforge are not the only creep catchers.

The movement is global, but most popular in the United Kingdom and North America.

There have been previous cases in New Zealand too, with an Auckland group doing similar stings in early-2018 before soon shutting down.

Awareness of the issue of child sex abuse had grown considerably in the past 15 years, making people think of how to combat it.

"As people are more aware, outrage grows," Bradley said.

Creep catchers use that awareness and outrage to justify their actions, something Bradley described as a "technique of rationalisation".

Catching was not based on the prevalence of a crime, but on the symbolic nature of how awful sexual abuse against children was, he said.

Bevins told Stuff he believed police did not put enough time into "stuff like this", driving him to take action.

"What if I didn't meet up with these guys and it was an actual underage kid, whose innocence could have been taken?

"That's what scares me."

While Bevins' activity was illegal and escalated, Bradley said he was not as dangerous as some overseas groups.

People have nearly been set on fire in the UK and driven out of their homes in other countries, he said.

Groups in Russia beat people, sometimes fatally, for not only alleged paedophilia, but being part of the LGBTQI+ community.

But it was the rise of technology – the internet, smartphones, dating websites and apps – that truly enabled the catching movement, Bradley said.

People like Bevins would have no idea how to find alleged paedophiles, take videos of their stings, then share them with a wide audience, without modern technology.

"Without social media networks, these types of activities simply wouldn't be possible," Bradley said.

The catching movement fed into the wider debate about controlling content on the internet, with pressure going on social media companies following the live-streaming of the Christchurch terror attacks in March, he said.

"Who makes the decisions? Who moderates content? Who moderates behaviour?"

https://www.newsclick.in/Communal-Pr...-Idea-of-India

Harsh Mander, director of Center of Equity Studies, speaks to Abhilasha of the Indian Cultural Forum about his recent book Partitions of the Heart: Unmaking the Idea of India. He talks about the erosion of the fundamental idea of India which a direct consequence of a leadership that thrives on polarising the nation, bigotry and hatred. In the interview, he expresses his concerns about the environment of communal hatred that is brewing in the country and delineates the nature of toxic communal attack and the rising scourge of lynching. As a former civil servant, he offers an alternative measure in the form of legal intervention of successfully shifting the onus on to government officials and making them accountable for failing to do their duty or malafide action during instances of hate violence.

https://www.newsweek.com/richard-ada...y-dies-1403526

WTH apparently Richard Adams is now dead.

n Ohio man who made national news after he was arrested for attacking a 17-year-old male who was allegedly molesting a 5-year-old boy has died.

Ricky Adams, 20, was charged with felony assault after he walked in and allegedly found the teenager with the child’s penis in his mouth in March. Following Adams' arrest, a GoFundMe page was set up by his uncle Jeff Cook to raise money for his legal fees as a sign of support, which went on to attract more than $40,000 in donations.

The Eastlake Police Department said the cause of death is still unconfirmed but signs point to a suspected drug overdose, reports WOIO.

According to another GoFundMe page to help pay for Adams' funeral costs, also set up by Cook, the 20-year-old was found unresponsive by his girlfriend before he was taken to hospital and later died.

“As many of you know Ricky made headlines across the United States for saving a 5-yr old from being molested,” Cook wrote in the latest GoFundme description page. “Ricky had money left and it’s in an account that has to go threw [sic] a big spew of things it could take a year or more to get.

“Please help with what you can so we can bury this hero the right way.”

Earlier this month, Adams took a plea deal for a lesser charge after appearing at Willoughby Municipal Court. He pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of assault and placed in a First Offender diversion program, reports News 5 Cleveland.

Speaking to Cleveland 19 at the time, Adams described how he “kind of just snapped” after seeing the boy being molested.

“I was doing laundry and I walked out and there was the 17-year-old who had a 5-year-old’s pants down to his ankles and he had the 5-year-old’s penis inside of his mouth,” Adams said.

Adams also posted a video showing the bloodied face of the teen suspect he attacked onto Facebook, which he later regretted.

“I do feel sorry for the video,” he said. “I should not have posted that and I do feel remorseful for the video situation. I want everyone to stop all the child offenders and predators that are out there. I don’t want no child to have to go through that."

The unnamed 17-year-old boy was later charged on suspicion of rape.

According to an update on the original GoFundMe page, Adams’ girlfriend had also recently suffered a miscarriage.

“Ricky is devastated by this he was looking forward to being a father,” Cook wrote. “Let’s bless him and keep paying it forward to him during this horrible time.”

https://www.cleveland.com/crime/2019...-has-died.html

Also we have to wait for Medical Examiner Report on how Richard Adams died.

CLEVELAND, Ohio – A Painesville man died less than two weeks after he pleaded guilty to attacking a 17-year-old boy he said he caught molesting a 5-year-old boy in Eastlake.

Richard Adams, 20, was found unresponsive late Monday, Eastlake police Chief Larry Reik said. Investigators suspect he died of a drug overdose, but are still awaiting the results of toxicology tests.

The Lake County Coroner’s Office could not immediately provide any more information.
    A GoFundMe page established by his uncle Jeff Cook says that Adams’ girlfriend laid down about 11:30 p.m. and noticed that Adams wasn’t breathing. Paramedics and doctors tried to revive him, but their efforts were unsuccessful.

Adams reached a plea agreement April 10 to plead guilty to a lesser charge of assault in connection with the March 21 attack on the 17-year-old boy. He told investigators he caught the teen sexually assaulting a 5-year-old boy at a home on East 363rd Street near Vine Street, and was defending the child.

Willoughby Municipal Court Judge Marisa L. Cornachio dismissed a harsher charge of felonious assault and ordered Adams to enter into a diversion program as part of a plea agreement.

Adams’ defense attorney, Richard Perez, said during the hearing that Adams acted in the heat of the moment and did not have a prior criminal history.

Lake County prosecutors are seeking to have the 17-year-old boy charged as an adult. He is currently charged with rape in juvenile court.

The incident led to an outpouring of support for Adams on social media. A GoFundMe page set up by Adams’ uncle raised more than $40,000 for him. Adams said after the April 10 court hearing that he planned to donate the money he received to charity.

“It’s been very overwhelming and stressful,” he told a group of reporters. “I was hoping for this (whole case) to be dismissed but I’m happy with this.”

Thread Information