Thread: Nia Wilson (18) Was Murdered & Her Sister Letifiah (26) Wounded When John Lee Cowell "Randomly" Attacked Them At An Oakland BART Station

Nia Wilson (18) Was Murdered & Her Sister Letifiah (26) Wounded When John Lee Cowell "Randomly" Attacked Them At An Oakland BART Station

This is absolutely terrifying

https://www.theroot.com/man-arrested...son-1827826599

Man Arrested in Horrific Stabbing Death of Nia Wilson; Bay Area Protesters Demand Justice

Anne Branigin
    Yesterday 9:18amFiled to: JOHN LEE COWELL

BART police image of John Cowell, 27, who was apprehended on Monday night for allegedly fatally stabbing Nia Wilson, 18, and injuring her sister, Letifiah Wilson, 26

The man believed to have slit the throat of 18-year-old Nia Wilson at an Oakland BART station on Sunday night was arrested without incident Monday night.

Police apprehended 27-year-old John Lee Cowell, a paroled felon, on a BART train nearly 24 hours after he allegedly attacked sisters Nia and Letifah Wilson in a vicious stabbing at the MacArthur station in Oakland. An anonymous caller had tipped police that Cowell had boarded an Antioch-bound train, reports the San Francisco Gate.

In a news conference Monday afternoon, BART Police Chief Carlos Rojas referred to the deadly stabbing as a ?prison-style attack? that was among ?the most vicious? he had ever seen in 30 years of policing.

Letifah Wilson, 26, who was also stabbed in the neck but survived the assault, described Cowell?s demeanor immediately following the attack to ABC 7 News.

?I looked back, and he was wiping off his knife and stood at the stairs and just looked ? and from there on, I was just caring for my sister. I was in shock. ... I didn?t know I was cut because I was paying more attention to my sister. But he just stood there, like it was nothing.?

As the Washington Post reports, the Wilson sisters didn?t normally ride the BART train, but opted to take it that night on the way home from a family gathering.

Wilson?s mother, Alicia Grayson, told the East Bay Times that Nia didn?t like the BART.

?She was scared of the BART,? Grayson said through tears. ?Now I see why.?

Protesters rallied to pay tribute to Nia and to demand justice for her senseless, violent death. The racial dynamic of the killing?Cowell, a young white man, selecting two young black women to prey upon?wasn?t missed by many.

Singer and Oakland native Kehlani spoke passionately about the attack on social media, criticizing BART officials for not acting sooner to catch Cowell and referring to him as a ?white supremacist.?

Footage shared on Twitter by Lucas Guilkey, a video journalist and producer for AJ Plus, shows part of a rally where Letifah blasted a song Nia had recorded. The crowd can be seen dancing to Nia?s rapping underneath a large red and white sign that read, ?Bay Area Stands Against Hate And White Supremacy For Solidarity, Justice, and Dignity.?

Daryle Allums, Nia Wilson?s godfather and head of Oakland?s Stop Killing Our Kids group, was among the protesters who took the streets Monday night.

Allums said Wilson?s death had rattled the Bay Area, but cautioned people not to jump to conclusions about why she died.

?We don?t know if this was racist,? Allums said. ?Let?s get this information to find out what really happened. Let?s find out the right facts to then be able to deal with this situation.?

BART police previously described the attack as ?random,? but Rojas told reporters authorities ?cannot discount? that the attack was race-motivated. In the immediate aftermath of Cowell?s arrest, officers have yet to tie Cowell to ?any type of radical group or white supremacist group.?

Her fb

https://m.facebook.com/nia.wilson.71...content_filter

Gfm

https://www.gofundme.com/justice-for-nia-wilson

& of course, when police arrived they managed to arrest him without tasing, shooting or otherwise injuring or humiliating him.

- I'm not complaining because there was no police brutality here, I'm just so sick of seeing white killers copping these gentle, respectful fucking arrests when even young Black school kids who are victims of crime, are constantly being subjected to violent takedowns because "we had to take precautions because didn't know the facts yet"

Last edited by blighted star; 07-25-2018 at 03:20 AM.

That's scary. That's always been a fear of mine - some random person attacking me or my loved ones unprovoked

http://mydeathspace.com/vb/showthrea...ned-for-Murder

Lets merge these threads together. I had no idea there were updates to this story.

Quote Originally Posted by KambingSociety View Post
    http://mydeathspace.com/vb/showthrea...ned-for-Murder

Lets merge these threads together. I had no idea there were updates to this story.
    Oops - thanks

I meant to post this a few days ago.

He had a record like this - in addition to cutting Nia's throat & stabbing her sister - & still he was arrested gently by the same Dept who shot Shaleem Tindle in the back just a few months ago

http://abc7news.com/timeline-bart-st...ecord/3817256/

Timeline: BART stabbing suspect's criminal record

The suspect in the BART stabbing has a criminal record with mostly petty theft and other misdemeanors. But as he grew older, his offenses became bolder. (BART)

By Vic Lee
    Tuesday, July 24, 2018 07:59PM

OAKLAND, Calif. (KGO) -- The suspect in the BART stabbing, John Lee Cowell, has a criminal record with mostly petty theft and other misdemeanors -- probably nothing that would give police a reason to suspect he would commit murder. But as he grew older, his offenses became bolder.

At just 27 years old, he already has a long rap sheet. When he was 18, Cowell's adult criminal record included misdemeanor drug offenses, obstruction of a peace officer and assault. On the assault charge, Cowell was convicted and released on probation.

When he was 22, Cowell was convicted of battery. Two years later, in 2015, he had another conviction for using drugs.

Nia Wilson was just 18 years old when she was killed in an unprovoked stabbing at MacArthur BART station in Oakland. Fighting through sorrow, her friends, family, and the community at large are mourning the teenager who brightened the lives of those she knew, and has inspired many who never got the chance.

Then in 2016, there were more misdemeanor charges -- this time at the Target store in Contra Costa County. Cowell was caught shoplifting and carrying drug paraphernalia.

Contra Costa County DA spokesperson Scott Alonso says police also found him with this: "I believe he had a tear gas canister. So a wide variety of charges in that one, all misdemeanors."

In May 2016 was Cowell's most serious crime - second degree robbery at Lucky's in El Cerrito. Cowell was known to be a shoplifter here but this time, he was caught in the act. "The loss prevention officer attempted to confront him, detain him and that's when the defendant reacted with a gun, a handgun," Alonso told ABC7 News.

John Cowell is accused of killing 18-year-old Nia Wilson and injuring her sister Letifah Wilson at MacArthur BART. He was arrested Monday afternoon at a different BART station in Pleasant Hill.

It turned out to be a toy gun, but he also had a boxcutter -- a real weapon. Cowell ran from the store and police caught him at the El Cerrito Plaza BART station.

"Our prosecutors sought that felony charge. And he was ultimately sentenced to state prison for two years in October of 2016," Alonso said.

Here's everything we know about the attack that claimed the life of 18-year-old Nia Wilson.

Cowell completed his sentence and was paroled out in May 2018.

He also has a record in Contra Costa's Civil Courts.

In 2015, a Concord woman filed a restraining order against him. The following year, there was another restraining order. This one from Kaiser Hospital in Richmond, stating he had repeatedly threatened staff members.

You may be wondering -- what about his mental state?

Alonso says, " He was evaluated by a doctor in the robbery case in 2016. He was found competent to stand trial."

BART stabbing suspect has lengthy criminal record. The older he got, the bolder were his crimes. pic.twitter.com/5mSNX3STVO

? Vic Lee (@vicleeabc7) July 25, 2018
    Cowell also has several misdemeanor offenses in Alameda County -- petty thefts, vandalism and drug use.

BART authorities tell ABC7news that Cowell has deep ties to North Concord. He has tattoos on his body, which highlight those ties. One says "North Concord." Another on his neck reads "925," the area code for Concord and incidentally,a tattoo the tipster told police about when he called them. That was the tip that led to his arrest.

Go here for full coverage on the stabbing at Oakland's MacArthur BART station that took the life of 18-year-old Nia Wilson.
    Last edited by blighted star; 07-27-2018 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Google keyboard update SUXXXXXXX

http://abc7news.com/woman-found-dead...ation/3839796/

Now Bart has to deal with an unrelated death this time at the Dublin station.

. DUBLIN, Calif. -- A 26-year-old woman recently released from Santa Rita Jail was found dead at the East Dublin BART station Saturday morning, BART officials said.

The woman had a bump on her head, but no other signs of foul play were found, said BART spokeswoman Cheryl Stalter.

The woman's body was discovered about 5:30 a.m. near the passenger pick-up/drop-off area at the station.

This is a second reported death at the Bart station.

Quote Originally Posted by KambingSociety View Post
    http://abc7news.com/woman-found-dead...ation/3839796/

Now Bart has to deal with an unrelated death this time at the Dublin station.

This is a second reported death at the Bart station.
    This might end up needing to be investigated under death in custody procedures *if* she had the injury prior to her release

(from the link)

Santa Rita Jail officials were reviewing their records to determine whether the woman had a bump on her head when she was released. In addition, BART police are pulling images from surveillance video that may be relevant to the incident, Stalter said.

Thread Information