Thread: New York Post - GHOULS MAKE DIGS AT WEB GRAVEYARD - 4/30/06

New York Post - GHOULS MAKE DIGS AT WEB GRAVEYARD - 4/30/06

[size=18px]GHOULS MAKE DIGS AT WEB GRAVEYARD[/size]
    By Angela Montefinise, New York Post

In the online world, there is such a thing as life after death - and it's hell.

A sickening Web site called MyDeathSpace.com - founded by 25-year-old Mike Patterson of San Francisco - is providing links to the MySpace pages of dead people, where visitors are trashing the deceased.

The victims include slain Manhattan actress Nicole du Fresne; attorney Robert Shapiro's son Brent, who died of a suspected drug overdose; Howard Stern regular Lynn "Cliff Palette" Zimmerman, who died of myelofibrosis; Knick Quentin Richardson's murdered brother, Lee; Eminem's rubbed-out rap partner, Proof; Harold Hunter, a New Yorker from the movie "Kids" who died of a cocaine overdose; and several soldiers killed overseas.

"If you have a MySpace account and you die, this is where you will end up," says a message on the site's main page. "MyDeathSpace.com memorializes deceased MySpace users and picks up where a regular obituary leaves off."

The page for du Fresne - the Manhattan actress gunned down last year after she allegedly asked a mugger, "What are you going to do, shoot us?" - is packed with crude and racist remarks.

"Wow, what a dumb ass," wrote "Bboyneko" on April 15. "Yeah, confronting a guy with a gun is smart. Way to go."

"Guns don't kill people," remarked "julio" on April 24. "Blacks kill people."

Some of the 120 pages include sexual comments about the deceased, or posts expressing that the person "deserved" to die.

"Was that picture taken after the crash," quipped "Tonto" about Californian Kristina Martinez, who died when a car crashed into her new Honda as she was carpooling her little sister to gymnastics. "Must've been."

Each MyDeathSpace page includes a photo of the dead person that links to their MySpace profile, as well as a summary - often a news story - of how the person died. The site was started last December and has at least 15,000 visitors a day. But lately the callous comments have been flooding in.

Patterson placed this message on the main page last week: "We will be working to remove disrespectful comments containing profanity within the next few days. Please remember that family members of deceased MySpace users profiled on MDS don't want to read ridiculous comments regarding their loved ones."

The site features people lost through every conceivable tragedy: murder, suicide, drowning, avalanche, fire, car crashes, lethal injection, skateboard accidents, cancer and even brain aneurysms caused by laughing too hard.

I really like how they only flippin quote the horrible and racists comments. Not all of us talk like that... I mention religion and God in a lot of mine, and I bet they wouldn't DARE quote that.

Gotta love the media, I swear. Idiots..

ahh yes anything for a good news story

The comments are out of control though. i think that feature should be removed. Just let the people be remembered and those that want to comment on something should come to the forum for that.
    "Helpless, selfish, stupid power!"

notice how most of the over the top commenters have not shown up in the forum yet??? the comments were getting way out of control.

im not talking about BMW (sarcastic/what most are thinking but wont say)comments, im talking about "he/she deserved to die", "i'd hit it", etc, etc, etc. comments.

too bad ignorant people make everyone on here look bad!

I know but oh well! Its still fucking hilarious that news stories hate us...the scathing reports are awesome, and how much do you wanna bet they make MORE people come here than a nice happy report?

I post a-fucking-lot on this site...dammit, why wasn't I quoted?? I say mean things too darnit!! And I've been checking this site out since there were only 2 or 3 pages of deaths!!

ah well... my 15 minutes of fame will come sooner or later I guess...

hehe sarcasm,
    bmw

i really thought you would've been in one of these!!!

i especially like how we are called "ghouls"..........very appropriate.

thats exactly what they are doing....drumming up a bigger following.

mydeathspace.com "ghouls" unite!

really, there is not much difference between this site and the newspaper obits. only thing is, instead of discussing it behind closed doors, we are on the net w/eachother. for god sakes! my grandmother used to check look through the sunday paper trying to find the obits.

maybe she was just looking for her friends now that i think about it... :lol:

WOW do I love the media!!! Well we Ghouls can’t expect anything different for the tabloids or press or video media. They will always point out the bad and not the good. I mean come on look at Iraq and Afghanistan (the forgotten war) it’s a joke the media is a complete crock of shit! I have a very very good friend in Afghanistan right now whom happens to be light infantry (fighting for his life and for what?) What I read and see on TV and the news paper is certainly a little different than what I hear going on over there. Don’t worry next week there will be another press release or something about us ghouls here or just more of the same old BAD news that we see and here day to day, not much good news in the news is there? Why? Hmmm... They don’t want to make us happy! Like I said today this is my first time here and I can understand both sides of the stories here, but the admin does remove people that have passed away from the site if so requested by the family!! Not some friend venting their anger to him in hate mail about there friend being memorialized here and on my space! Those people are anger right now and are going to run their mouth, which is why people like us are here for… to listen too... So I say there is nothing wrong going on here at this site, But if there are people making obscene comments, gestures and just plain old being an ASSHOLE leaving unnecessary comments on there my space then well punish those people, NOT the creator of this site. It’s not him leaving the obscene comments!!!! I could go on and on about this but I did read today in a post here, and all of you people need to remember its freedom of speech!! First Amendment!! I’m done ranting….

I quite like being called a ghoul! Shame they had to pick one of the worst comments to quote. Typical media I guess. Stupid though as all they are doing by mentioning the site is advertising it!

I rule go me!
    <br />The Angel within

Re: New York Post - GHOULS MAKE DIGS AT WEB GRAVEYARD - 4/30

I must have missed this, though I read the Post often..If i had seen it, I would have hightailed it over here to check out the ghouls..and checkin as one..lol..WTG Zoe :lol:
    www.myspace.com/zoehunter

Thread Information