Thread: Ex-Prison Guard Daniel Grant Nelson Has Been Running A Clothing Business From His Jail Cell

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ex-Prison Guard Daniel Grant Nelson Has Been Running A Clothing Business From His Jail Cell

South Australian prison inmate allegedly running a clothing business from his jail cell
    Updated about 3 hours ago

PHOTO: A logo found on the FTL Inc Facebook page. (Facebook: FTL Inc)

An investigation is underway into a South Australian prison inmate allegedly profiting from an online business.

Key points

• A South Australian prison inmate is allegedly running a clothing business from his jail cell
    • Clothing is being sold via a Facebook page called FTL Inc
    • The state Opposition has made the claim and called on State Government to act
    • The State Opposition has alleged former prison-guard-turned-prisoner Daniel Grant Nelson is selling anti- social clothing and products online.

Last week Nelson was sentenced to more than two years in prison for attacking his ex-girlfriend and another man with knuckledusters in 2016.

During the sentencing the judge noted Nelson was the person behind the Facebook page "FTL".

Nelson apparently told his psychologist the page was originally set up to express his contempt for the law.

PHOTO: Daniel Grant Nelson in Adelaide in 2009. (ABC News)

Judge Jack Costello said more recently the page had become almost exclusively a clothing and sticker distributor for people engaging in anti-social acts.

The State Opposition pointed out a Facebook post which Nelson called for people to send artwork to him at Mount Gambier Prison for a chance to win FTL clothing.

"It now appears that he may be involved in running an online business from his prison cell," Opposition spokesman Lee Odenwalder said.

In a post on Facebook Nelson said: "Competition time peoples [sic]. We want to see your best art work with FTL. The winner will win a piece of FTL clothing."

The post went on to include his name and the address for Mount Gambier Prison.

Under the Correctional Services Act it is illegal for prisoners to do any work without permission.

"If this is true it's completely unacceptable that a prisoner, particularly one that's been convicted of such a violent crime, should be free to indulge in running a business from his prison cell," he said.

He said he had written to Correctional Services Minister Corey Wingard who said the department was now investigating the matter.

"This is the first I've heard of it and that's why I say to Mr Odenwalder, give me a ring," Mr Wingard said.

PHOTO: Three women showcase the FTL Inc clothing on offer. (Facebook: FTL Inc)

"These are serious allegations, contact me and let me know, not do it through the media, that's just grandstanding and showcasing.

"I have some grave concerns about the allegations he has made and why he has not contacted me.

"These are very serious allegations that need to be taken seriously."

Mr Wingard said the Marshall Government had a very strong mandate on prisons and the Department for Correctional Services was investigating the matter.

"Corrections are investigating - no one should be profiting from operations in prison," he said.

The ABC has contacted FTL for a response.

1.2K likes? Why???? How????

Daniel

https://m.facebook.com/DannyMRFTLNelson

His partner (who I assume is the "Miss FTL" who signed off on the fb post made in response to the media attention)

https://m.facebook.com/bunnigirl1989...=info_relation

The FTL supporters are posting on some news articles to defend their hero. It's like a weird bogan cult or something?? A weird bogan "Fuck The Law" cult that was apparently established in 2005 when it's creator was a prison guard??

Also, I added the last pic because I need to make it clear that I'm not exaggerating when I say these are the shittiest designs I've seen since I last saw the graffiti on my classmate's pencil cases in 4th grade. Seriously, I have secondary embarrassment from looking at this shit (also, as per the last pic, they're even numbering their clothing items for selected members - it's like a cheap yobbo version of the Stonecutters on The Simpsons )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by blighted star; 07-22-2018 at 09:10 PM.

Thread Information