Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 17 people dead after duck boat carrying 31 people capsized in Branson, MO

After reading another version of that lady's interview, it turns out they were told they wouldn't need the life vests when the captain was giving the safety instructions before the tour started. I'm sure everyone, including the captain, believed that at the time. Some versions of the story make it sound like he told them they didn't need the life vests AFTER the trouble started, which is not the case. Why nobody put one on when things started getting ugly is a mystery to me. All you have to do is yank a cord to pull them down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

It seems like it all happened pretty quickly. Maybe they didn't think to pull the vests down in a panic. Many sources have said that having the life vests on would have killed them as well as they would have probably become trapped under the roof of the boat. Such a heartbreaking situation all around. I can't imagine how much pain that lady is in after losing so many family members.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy1217 View Post
    It seems like it all happened pretty quickly. Maybe they didn't think to pull the vests down in a panic. Many sources have said that having the life vests on would have killed them as well as they would have probably become trapped under the roof of the boat. Such a heartbreaking situation all around. I can't imagine how much pain that lady is in after losing so many family members.

I don't mean to second guess these poor people, but in the video it's obvious they had plenty of time to get the life vests.

Also, like you, I had assumed many would be trapped under the canopy, but there was a release mechanism, and the captain released the canopy, according to one of the survivors. I posted about it a few comments back with a link.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

I just wonder how the people that got out did so.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

I seriously thought the captain drowned too? Maybe I got my duck boat tragedies mixed up

https://gcaptain.com/captain-of-dead...federal-court/

Captain of Deadly Missouri Duck Boat Charged in Federal Court
    November 8, 2018 by Reuters

ReutersNov 8 (Reuters) ? The captain of the World War Two-style tourist ?duck boat? that sank on a Missouri lake during a storm in July, killing 17 people, was charged on Thursday with misconduct, negligence and inattention to duty in an indictment by a federal grand jury, prosecutors said.

Kenneth Scott McKee, 51, of Verona, Missouri, was charged in a 17-count indictment, one count for each of the passengers who died when the vessel sank on July 19.

McKee was captain of the vessel operated by Ripley Entertainment Inc, which ran duck boat tours in Branson, Missouri, and on nearby Lake Taneycomo and Table Rock Lake, where the incident occurred. He could face a prison sentence of up to 10 years for each of the 17 counts.

There were 31 passengers aboard the duck boat on Table Rock Lake when hurricane-strength winds churned up the water and sank the craft, causing one of the deadliest U.S. tourist tragedies in recent years.

?The captain of the vessel always has a duty to operate his vessel in a safe manner and that?s why Mr. McKee is under indictment this morning,? Timothy Garrison, U.S. attorney for the Western District of Missouri, said at a news conference.

McKee is accused of failing to properly assess the severe weather, instruct passengers to use personal flotation devices, or head for shore and prepare to abandon ship, the indictment said.

Garrison said McKee was not yet in custody.

McKee?s attorney J.R. Hobbs said in an email that he was working out with his client how he should surrender to officials.

?We have received the indictment and anticipate that a not-guilty plea will be entered,? Hobbs said.

In addition to a possible sentence in federal prison without parole, McKee could face a $250,000 fine.

Garrison declined to say whether other people were being investigated.

The families of four people who died have filed lawsuits against Ripley Entertainment, which operates under the name Ride the Ducks, saying it recklessly allowed the vessel out in dangerous weather.

Nine members of the same family were among the 17 killed.

The boats, modeled on the amphibious landing craft used in the D-Day invasion of Normandy in 1944, have a checkered history involving more than three dozen fatalities on water and land, including the Table Rock Lake sinking, according to the complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    So the dismissal is on a jurisdictional technicality. It will be refiled in State Court.

And I suppose it goes without saying that I will never die in a Duck Boat accident, right?
    You are talking to a woman who has laughed in the face of death, sneered at doom and chuckled at catastrophe.
    ...Collector of Chairs. Reader of Books. Hater of Nutmeg...

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/missour...charges-filed/
    A local prosecutor on Friday filed a total of 63 felony criminal charges against three employees over a July 2018 tourist boat accident on a Missouri lake that killed 17 people.

The charges were filed in Stone County against the captain, the general manager and the manager on duty the day of the accident for the Ride the Ducks attraction on Table Rock Lake near the tourist mecca of Branson.

The charges were announced by County Prosecuting Attorney Matt Selby and Missouri Attorney General Eric Schmitt.

In this July 23, 2018 file photo, a duck boat that sank in Table Rock Lake in Branson, Mo., is raised after it went down the evening of July 19 after a thunderstorm generated near-hurricane strength winds, killing 17 people.

The charges against captain Kenneth Scott McKee, of Verona, general manager Curtis Lanham, of Galena, and manager on duty Charles Baltzell, of Kirbyville, came seven months after a federal judge dismissed charges filed by federal prosecutors, concluding that they did not have jurisdiction.

McKee faces 29 charges, including 17 charges of first-degree involuntary manslaughter. An affidavit from a Missouri Highway Patrol sergeant accuses him of failing to exercise his duties as a licensed captain by taking his amphibious vehicle onto the lake during a thunderstorm.

Baltzell and Lanham face 17 charges each of first-degree involuntary manslaughter. They are accused of failing to communicate weather conditions and failing to cease operations during a severe thunderstorm warning.

The dead included nine members of one family from Indianapolis. Other victims were from Missouri, Illinois and Arkansas.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Thread Information