Thread: Ellie Tran (35) was attacked and injected with cyanide, her boyfriend has been arrested and charged with murder

Ellie Tran (35) was attacked and injected with cyanide, her boyfriend has been arrested and charged with murder

https://pilotonline.com/news/local/c...e480daedc.html

A spokeswoman for the chief medical examiner on Wednesday confirmed that a woman who was attacked in her driveway on Valentine?s Day was poisoned to death with cyanide.

A man grabbed Ellie Tran, 35, after she got out of her car and injected her in the leg, according to prosecutors. She died at a hospital the next day.

A surveillance camera captured the incident on Feb. 14 outside of Tran?s home in the 1900 block of Stillmeadow Court, near the intersection of Dam Neck and Salem roads.
    The attacker was identified as Tran?s ex-boyfriend, Joseph Vincent Merlino III, by three people who saw the video, prosecutor Caitlin AtLee said at a hearing in March.

Merlino was arrested at his brother?s home in Victoria, which is in the central part of the state, the day after the assault.

He was charged with second-degree murder and is being held without bond in the city jail.

Tran, who immigrated to the United States from Vietnam several years ago, was living with her parents and 2-year-old daughter. Merlino is the girl?s father.

Tran?s mother, Oanh Le, told The Pilot that Tran had the surveillance equipment installed because she feared Merlino would try to harm her.
    https://pilotonline.com/news/local/c...01adf44e4.html

Seven months before she was killed, Ellie Tran told a magistrate her boyfriend had restrained her on a bed and held her upside down while their frightened toddler screamed and cried.

?He used his hands (to) grab my neck,? Tran wrote in a criminal complaint filed in Juvenile and Domestic Relations District Court on July 11, 2016, about her then-boyfriend, Joseph Vincent Merlino III.

?He locked my feet and my hands several times if I did not listen to him. He came to me very fast and turned me upside down and pulled me around by that time my head was so close to the floor. Every time like this my daughter was scared, she was(sic) cry and scream.?

At the end of her affidavit, the 35-year-old woman wrote: ?I worry for my daughter and me in the future.? The girl was 21 months old at the time.
    In July, Tran had also written in her criminal complaint that Merlino had threatened to ?put me in the ground behind his house? and that he would ?pay for a judge to have full custody of our daughter.?
    http://www.wavy.com/news/crime/vb-cy...yed/1237763459

VB cyanide murder suspect, two months into hunger strike, won't have trial delayed

The man accused of poisoning his ex-girlfriend to death continues not to eat inside the Virginia Beach jail.

?I?m completely innocent and the truth will come out during the trial,? Merlino said.

That trial for Joesph Merlino will be begin next week and it will begin on an empty stomach. Merlino is in the middle of a 57-day hunger strike.

?I?ve been in isolation for 60 days,? Merlino added. ?I?ve been in a cold room around 60 degrees and completely naked.?

Merlino has been in jail for 15 months. He says he feels like he has been treated guilty until proven innocent.

Sheriff Ken Stolle is asking for the judge to allow Merlino to be force fed. The sheriff says he should have the right to keep an inmate alive.
    Merlino?s attorneys also asked a judge for a continuance of his trial. They are worried that he won?t have the stamina to make it through.

The judge denied the request saying it was Merlino?s fault for not eating and he can stop the hunger strike at any time.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    OMG ~ that is horrible.

Ellie's FB: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100008426468651

I don't get the whole refusing to eat in jail thing. I mean, really? "I won't eat anything so I can slowly kill myself, that'll show them." Have fun with that!

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    I don't get the whole refusing to eat in jail thing. I mean, really? "I won't eat anything so I can slowly kill myself, that'll show them." Have fun with that!
    I'm innocent so I'm not going to eat! What a dumbass. Too bad he was caught on tape.

I thought they had the right to force feed you in jail?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

I think they were trying to get a court order to feed him. It doesn't sound like they did. Now he is claiming he isn't eating because he thought someone would poison him.

https://www.13newsnow.com/article/ne.../291-565551499

A man accused of poisoning his ex-girlfriend went to trial Tuesday.

30-year-old Joseph Merlino is charged with first-degree murder in the death of Ellie Tran. Police say Tran died after being injected with cyanide on Valentine's Day in 2017.

Merlino's attorneys tried to delay the trial because of his health. He has been on a hunger strike for more than two months, claiming he is afraid someone will poison his food.

A judge refused to delay the trial.

On Tuesday, the Commonwealth's Attorneys Office nolle processed the second-degree murder charge against Merlino. He only faces the charge of first-degree murder.
    The Commonwealth's Attorneys expect the trial to last four to five days and said they have around 23-25 witnesses.

Damn. He has that crazy look.
    Jenn

Quote Originally Posted by DiaDeLosMuertos View Post
    Damn. He has that crazy look.
    He looks like Brendt Christensen to me, the guy who is being held for kidnapping/killing Yingying Zhang:
    https://heavy.com/news/2017/06/brend...hotos-suspect/

Ew. yes!
    Jenn

He looks... Not stable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. Poor Brennen Tammons.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    ....or exchanging Puke's wang for spicy nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    I know, right? What the fuck, puke? Willing to take in Boston, an Irish dude and like, 17 dogs but not Ron? poor Ron.

https://wtkr.com/2018/06/25/virginia...cted-murderer/

Jurors selected to serve on the Joseph Merlino murder trial recommended life in prison for the man.

The jury also recommended a $100,000 fine. Merlino was in court and had no reaction at the time of the recommendation.

On Friday, the jury handed down a unanimous guilty verdict for first degree murder.

The jury took an hour and a half to deliberate. That was the same amount of time Merlino spent on the stand.

He was found guilty for charges stemming from the death of his estranged wife, Ellie Tran on Valentine's Day in 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    My mom came downstairs to show me how to cyberstalk you

Thread Information