Thread: Baby found alive after being buried in the forest

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Baby found alive after being buried in the forest

Holy cow. I am so glad there is a happy ending here.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...m_npd_nn_fb_ma

A 5-month-old baby who was buried in a Montana forest for at least seven hours was found in the middle of the night Sunday, officials in Missoula said Monday.

The infant was in good condition at a hospital after being left alone for "several hours," the Missoula County Sheriff?s Office said in a statement.
    A man who was supposed to be taking care of the infant, Francis Carlton Crowley, 32, was arrested for criminal endangerment, authorities said. Additional charges were expected. It wasn't clear what Crowley's relationship is to the child or who the boy's mother is.

"For all of us at the sheriff?s office, this is what we call a miracle," the sheriff's office said. "For the officers who were present for this event, it?s especially hard knowing what this small baby endured in the last 24 hours."

The sheriff's office said authorities were called to the Lolo Hot Springs area of Montana's Lolo National Forest at about 8 p.m. Saturday night (11 p.m. ET) on a report of a man threatening people and acting strange.

"When trying to question Crowley, he appeared to be under the influence of drugs and was not making sense to officers," the sheriff's office said ? adding that Crowley "indicated the baby was possibly buried somewhere in the mountains."

Deputies and officers from United States Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, Montana Highway Patrol quickly formed a search party and were dispatched to try and find the child.

"After more than six hours of searching on foot, a deputy heard the faint cry of a baby," authorities said. "He followed the sound and found the baby alive, face down, buried under a pile of sticks and debris."

It was was 2:30 a.m. Sunday local time and 46 degrees outside when they found the infant, the sheriff's office statement said. The boy was wearing only a wet, soiled onesie.

A clerk at Missoula's Justice Court said it wasn?t clear if Crowley had a lawyer.
    Jenn

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Holly shit! That kid is a survivor. I can't imagine what he's been through. So amazing that he's alive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

I don't know whether this site has info they're not releasing yet or if they're just making stupid assumptions, but they've tacked on a few paragraphs at the end about baby boxes where parents can safely give up their babies.

Even if this guy is the father, I really don't think he was in any state where he was going to do this in a rational & responsible way. If this wasn't a deliberate act after a fight, then he must've been out of his mind on drugs.

- & that means this is possibly the second infant in a week to be left to die in the elements by someone on meth. Get your shit together people. Jfc.

http://www.newsweek.com/baby-buried-...rested-1013474

CHILD ABANDONMENT

Police have arrested and charged a Montana man for allegedly burying a five-month old baby alive.

32-year-old Francis Carlton Crowley was reportedly acting strange in the Lolo Hot Springs area when police were called. According to the Missoula County Sheriff?s Office, Crowley was threatening people and saying he had a gun in his pocket. Police were receiving more calls enroute to the scene.

Once they arrived, Crowley had left. Police were told he was looking after a five-month-old baby who had not been seen for hours. Another call shortly after reported Crowley had returned to the Lolo Hot Springs area.

A five-month-old baby has been found alive after being buried in Montana mountains for nine hours.
    MISSOULA COUNTY SHERIFF'S OFFICE FACEBOOK

Police arrested Crowley, who they believed to be on drugs because of his incoherence. He eventually told police the baby could be buried in the mountains. Half a dozen state authorities?including Montana Highway Patrol and the United States Forest Service?were immediately called out for a search.

After more than six hours of searching on foot, one officer heard a faint cry and discovered the baby alive, lying face down and buried under leaves, sticks and debris. It was in a soiled onesie and was found at around 2:30 a.m., roughly nine hours after it was left alone in the 46 Fahrenheit mountains.

Crowley is now being held at Missoula County Detention Facility on charges of criminal endangerment. More charges will likely be placed on Crowley.

Missoula County Sheriff?s Office did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

[IMG][/IMG]

Safe Haven

In Indiana, authorities believe they have found a safe solution for parents who choose to abandon their children?the Safe Haven Baby Box. The boxes are built into the walls of fire stations and feature a hatch through which babies can be placed inside. The small compartment is heated and immediately triggers a silent alarm to alert staff. Once used, the box can only be opened from inside the station.

In April, the box was used for the second time in two years. The baby?who was nicknamed Baby Grace?was found with its umbilical cord still attached. The first baby, nicknamed Baby Hope, has since been adopted.

"We are excited?another life saved," Assistant Chief Warren Smith of the Coolspring Township Volunteer Fire Department said. "We just have to thank the mother for doing the right thing. Any time I think about this, I smile."

The creator of the baby boxes, Monica Kelsey, was herself abandoned at a hospital in Montpelier just hours after she was born. ?I want to thank the mom for doing the right thing, and having the courage to find a safe place for her newborn, and surrendering it under the Safe Haven law,? Kelsey said, according to WBBM-TV.

His version sounds kinda different to the police version. According to him it wasn't the sadistic live burial it was presented as by police & media.

The police say he was "disoriented, likely because of drug use", but a head injury & physical exhaustion will cause disorientation too. Police agree it all started with a car accident.

He claims he couldn't carry the baby when he started walking to get help. I guess his reasoning was to hide the baby somewhere relatively safe & sheltered rather than leave him abandoned for hours in a vehicle where he could be taken by anyone who came by. & depending on how long it took him to walk into town he might also have been trying to avoid leaving the baby in a hot vehicle where he could die from heat exhaustion. If you go through the early reports some say the baby was "concealed by sticks & leaves", not buried. The "buried" part was an assumption/exaggeration by one journo & the rest followed.

The baby's only 5 mths old, he couldn't be that heavy, so this was terrible reasoning & I don't see how the court will accept it unless this guy had injuries that seriously impeded his decision-making or carrying abilities. Even so, if it was really hot weather he might still have a defence, depending on how far he had to walk in the sun. His shit decision might've been the only thing that kept the baby protected from the sun & stopped him getting serious burns &/or heatstroke.

He's probably fucked either way though because I doubt very much that police allowed him a proper medical assessment for concussion etc once they decided his behaviour was the result of drug use.

& no medical evidence = no defence

https://www.aol.com/article/news/201...usaolp00001361

Man who left 'miracle' baby in forest breaks down at arraignment claiming he left infant behind because it was 'very heavy'

Jul 11th 2018 5:54AM

A man accused of abandoning a five-month-old baby in the woods of western Montana broke down when he heard the allegations against him in court before giving a disturbing reason for his actions.

Francis Crowley appeared by videoconference from jail in his Missoula County Justice Court hearing on charges of assault on a minor and criminal endangerment and prosecutors said he left the infant behind following a car crash because it was was ?very heavy,? according to an affidavit obtained by NBC News.

As the accusations were recounted, Crowley, 32, doubled over and fell to the floor. He twice exclaimed that he loves the boy and implored the judge not to take him away.

Crowley did not enter a plea.

His bail was set at $200,000 and will next appear in court on July 25.

He and the baby had been in a car accident

Officers found the ?miracle? baby ? cold and hungry ? under a pile of debris and sticks early Sunday.

Missoula County prosecutors say deputies were called to Lolo Hot Springs Saturday night because Crowley was creating a disturbance. Officers then learned he and the baby had been in a car accident.

Charging documents say Crowley was disoriented, likely because of drug use, and unable to help officers find the baby.

Searchers followed a road Crowley said he had traveled and eventually found the car and the baby close by.

This is supposed to go back to court some time this month. I'm interested to hear how it goes

https://kval.com/outdoors/oregon-man...-montana-woods

MISSOULA, Mont. (AP) ? An Oregon man pleaded not guilty Tuesday to two felony charges alleging he abandoned a 5-month-old baby who survived for nine hours in the woods of western Montana under a pile of debris.

Francis Carlton Crowley, 32, of Portland, entered his plea to assault on a minor and criminal endangerment. He appeared via video in District Court in Missoula and remains jailed on $200,000 bail.

Prosecutors say Crowley was under the influence of meth and bath salts when he caused a disturbance earlier this month at Lolo Hot Springs, near where he was living with the boy and the child's mother.

He told responding officers that the baby he had been caring for was buried in the mountains, but he was unable to lead officers to the boy.

Based on some information from Crowley, officers eventually found his car in the Lolo National Forest.

Later, a deputy and a Forest Service officer found the baby ? cold, hungry and covered in debris ? on July 8. It was estimated the boy had been left alone for at least nine hours.

Crowley said he left the baby after a car crash because he was very heavy.

The boy is in the care of the Montana Department of Public Health and Human Services, the Missoulian newspaper reported .

District Judge Karen Townsend set another court hearing for October.

Good old bath salts.

It just says he was living with the boys mother, so not the father? I guess we can safely assume that the mother is unfit too since the baby is in protective care? As a side note, I wonder when you tell a person/child that this happened to them. Do you sit down an 8 year and explain they were left in the mountains to die as a baby but they survived?

And come on! A five month old isn't heavy, especially when you got the strength of a thousand bath salts. He was just tweeked out and an idiot.

I Thought we were done with bath salts? That and Krokodil make me uneasy.

Wow. They didn't fuck around with that sentence - 30 years, 10 suspended

https://missoulian.com/news/state-an...8a9b0700c.html

The man who brought a baby into the Lolo National Forest and buried him beneath sticks and twigs was sentenced on Tuesday to 30 years in state prison, with 10 suspended.

Francis Crowley, 33, wept openly and often during the sentencing hearing, swearing he never meant to hurt the child and thanking law enforcement for finding the baby after he abandoned the 5-month-old in the 2 million-acre forest on July 7. The baby spent nine hours in the woods on a 46-degree night before law enforcement found him.

Emotions were palpable in the courtroom on Tuesday. Crowley dropped his forehead onto the defendant's table and cursed out loud as the prosecutor showed a video of the route, a long winding path through an area heavily congested with trees, law enforcement traveled from Highway 12 to find the child.

Crowley broke into an angry and tearful rant toward Judge Karen Townsend at the end of the hearing, calling himself a "loser" who couldn't properly care for the child but still loved him.

"No matter what you think about me, that kid was my life," he said between sobs. "And I don't know what the [explitive] I was doing. I don't know why I went out there. I don't know why I kept driving."

In the defense's sentencing recommendation, Crowley's attorney asked for a sentence in rehabilitation. Townsend said, in light of 13 previous felony convictions, Crowley had been offered several treatment routes before, and turned them down or refused to participate; why would this time be different?

Crowley unraveled again.

"I spent my entire life locked up and high on drugs,? he said, nearly bellowing at the judge. ?The ride over here I was looking at people in the streets and I could see people sitting there that I knew were high. I could see them and put myself in their situation, they weren?t smiling, they weren?t happy. And I could see people in the car next to me and I wondered what the life they had was like. This has completely changed my life.

"It doesn't matter what sentence I get," he said. "It's done. I need help though."

The two law enforcement officers who recovered the baby were the only ones to testify Tuesday. U.S. Forest Service officer Nick Scholz and Missoula County Sheriff's Deputy Ross Jessop told the story of how they landed the call and how they saved that baby's life. Scholz was at home for his wife's birthday that night; Some time earlier, Jessop had hit the scene with his canine and began working on finding Crowley, who had disappeared off into the woods before anyone even knew a baby was missing. It seemed clear the baby had been facedown the entire span before Jessop and Scholz found him; the boy was spitting out dirt and twigs en route to the hospital, Jessop said.

Speaking a bit out of turn, Crowley thanked Scholz for finding the baby as Scholz was testifying. The next question Scholz was asked was about how the case had impacted him.

"It's impacted me and I didn't know that someone could do this to a small child," Scholz responded.

Jessop, meanwhile, was much more direct from the stand in answering the same question.

"Francis, I want to tell you when I was stepping over that pile of debris, with a size nine-and-a-half inch boot, we didn't know where [the baby] was," Jessop said. "My right foot was about to crush [the child's] skull into the mud even further, he was face down.

"Everything that night should have killed that baby," Jessop said. "I gave away my boots that I just bought weeks prior to this call, because every time I laced up that boot I saw [the child's] face. That's the kind of call it was."

Crowley was high on methamphetamine, amphetamine and bath salts at the time he took the child into the woods. The baby also tested positive for drugs when authorities tested a hair follicle.

Crowley took a plea deal earlier this year, pleading guilty to assault on a minor, criminal endangerment and child criminal endangerment. He received 10 years in state prison on all three counts, the maximum for each count, suspending all 10 years on the third count. Another charge, endangering the welfare of a child, was dismissed with the plea agreement.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by blighted star; 07-29-2019 at 12:50 AM.

Yeah, fuck this guy

https://missoulian.com/news/state-an...257946731.html

The man who left a 5-month-old baby in the woods outside Lolo Hot Springs last year, spurring an hours-long multi-agency search and valiant rescue, pleaded guilty to the deed Tuesday morning in Missoula District Court.

Francis Carlton Crowley, 33, pleaded guilty on Tuesday to criminal endangerment and child criminal endangerment. He also entered a "no contest" plea to the charge of assault on a child. The plea does not admit guilt, but rather concedes prosecutors would have likely secured a conviction at trial.

His sentencing is set for March 12.

One charge was dropped as part of the agreement, endangering the welfare of a child, which filed last month. After Crowley was initially charged, authorities tested one of the infant's hair follicles, which came back positive for methamphetamine.

The change of plea comes at the same time prosecutors leveled a new charge against Crowley Tuesday, that of child criminal endangerment. The charge stems from Crowley driving into the woods while he was high on methamphetamine and bath salts.

Crowley was reportedly still high when he wandered into the Lolo Hot Springs area threatening people and talking about a lost baby. His statements were reportedly erratic: the baby had been buried, or he had found the baby buried, or he could see the baby's arms reaching up to him. Ultimately, Crowley's daze left him unable to assist anyone in the search on a night that saw temperatures drop to about 46 degrees.

A blitz of agencies, including the U.S. Forest Service, Bureau of Land Management, Montana Highway Patrol and Missoula County Sheriff's deputies launched a ground search, eventually finding Crowley's vehicle and a bread-crumb trail of items that led up a slope. There, the faint sound of a baby led searchers to the boy face-down, buried under a pile of sticks and debris.

Two law enforcement officers found the boy at 2:30 a.m. on July 8. Authorities estimated he'd been in the woods for about nine hours.

"The only thing I can say about this whole thing is, it was a miracle," said Ross Jessop, a Missoula County Sheriff's deputy who found the baby in searching with Lolo National Forest law enforcement officer Nick Scholz, at the time.

This article has been updated to correct which charge was dismissed as a part of Francis Crowley's plea agreement.

Thread Information