Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 'Roseanne' Canceled By ABC After Racist Tweets

I foresee her digging herself in deeper and deeper with this mess.

I agree with RBW she's just like a kid with no filter. It's like she apologized because her mom made her, then when moms away-more hateful tweets.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Now What will ABC air after the NBA Finals. As far as I know Roseanne former timeslot on ABC for this week and Next week is the NBA Finals and I don't know what ABC will do after that.

Carsey Werner the owners of Roseanne should have made policies on what people should or should not do on Twitter though.

Carsey Werner should have gotten their act together and have a meeting with Roseanne before this happened.

http://ew.com/tv/2018/05/30/roseanne...-show-conners/

Here's an update Carsey Werner have put out on a possible spinoff to Roseanne.Meet the … Bonners?

There could be a scenario in the works where ABC salvages significant parts of Roseanne without having to say goodbye to some of the best actors on television (here’s looking at you, Laurie Metcalf and John Goodman). Though ABC made a swift decision Tuesday to cancel the successful reboot, EW has learned that ABC has not exactly washed its hands of the family comedy.

Here’s the challenge, though: Roseanne was created by Roseanne Barr. The characters were conceived by her and Matt Williams. If the sitcom were to continue without the matriarch, the actress would still benefit financially. So a key insider informs EW that discussions will continue today on whether it makes sense to keep the other actors but potentially design a new series around them — ergo, the Bonners, or whatever you want to call Goodman, Metcalf, and the clan of misfits. Nothing has been decided, however, and various options are still being weighed.

It’s not as if everyone scattered after Tuesday’s cancellation announcement. After ABC ordered a second season of Roseanne in March, EW confirmed that cast options were picked up for another 13 episodes. Carsey-Werner, which produces the sitcom for ABC, is still on the hook for paying those salaries. And since ABC ordered a new season, it bears its own financial brunt from the cancellation. So keeping some kind of show intact wouldn’t be the worst decision for ABC.

Several of Roseanne’s best writers certainly aren’t going anywhere. In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter, executive producer Dave Caplan noted that he, together with Roseanne EPs Bruce Helford and Bruce Rasmussen, are staying put with ABC. “[They] have a pilot project with Tom Werner for ABC, and we’ll continue working together. I know that Tom really regretted the fact that we had such a wonderful writing staff together — a real rare collection of talent — and I know he’d like to continue using it in some fashion if that were possible.”

Even Barr herself lamented on Twitter about how her actions resulted in hundreds of people being out of work. (Read more of her response on Twitter here). Officially, ABC isn’t talking about any new chapter for the now-beleaguered series, but Disney-ABC Television Group president Ben Sherwood just sent out a statement to staff that said, in part, “we are so sorry the [cast and crew] were swept up in all of this and give thanks for their remarkable talents, wish them well, and hope to find another way to work together down the road.”

So what if ABC ultimately decides to make it all go away? “It’s not that much money,” observes a competing studio. “When you cancel a show, there are cancellation fees. And then there are costs of actually shutting down the production.”

The real loss comes from the potential ad revenue — Kantar Media ballparked it at $60 million next season in the New York Times — and what a show like Roseanne could have done for ABC’s schedule, to say nothing of how Carsey-Werner continues to lose boatloads of cash after the Viacom networks and Hulu yanked the Roseanne reruns. “Think of the ripple effect that show would have had on other shows,” observes the studio exec. “Now ABC won’t be able to start Tuesday nights with a giant.”

ABC declined to comment.

They should do a show called "Dan."

Dan Connor wakes up one morning and realizes that he's been married for a very long time to a horrible bigot. He kicks her out and moves in Jackie and the kids and they all live happily ever after without her.
    "A vagabond dreamer, a rhymer and singer of songs
    Singing to no one and nowhere to really belong." - Waylon Jennings

I agree. Make a Dan spin off. John Goodman is the best!

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    Omg I love it. From the manufacturers of Ambien:
    OMG I hate Ambien so much but this made me LOL.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    Just as I suspected. A ring of elderly pedophiles.
    Quote Originally Posted by Southern Love View Post
    Fucking piece of shit, fucking scum, internet ass holes. fucking ingrate no life having fat ass. you have no fucking clue at whats going on fuck tard shit for brains.

Quote Originally Posted by queenaevadamthng View Post
    Maybe if she would have left the Muslim part out she could have skated by. I'm not racist in the least and I think Kid Rock looks like a catfish. George Jones DID look like a damn possum.

It's comical to see how the makers of Ambien and anyone remotely affiliated with her are trying to cover their asses so they don't get splashed or smell from the shit storm she has created for herself. I don't see her bouncing back from this one.
    Muslim in or muslim out its all bullshit. People have become pussys. I'm offended and hurt you need to apologize. You made me cry so you should lose your job.

Quote Originally Posted by S281Saleen160 View Post
    Muslim in or muslim out its all bullshit. People have become pussys. I'm offended and hurt you need to apologize. You made me cry so you should lose your job.
    In the good old days, if one person insulted another, the two parties either took it outside or had a sit down and hashed it out. Now, everyone knows everybody's business and has to put their two Tweets in. It seems like social media only exacerbates the tensions amongst everyone.

People are still saying that another network will pick up the show. I think that's total bullshit. No one wants to touch that shitstorm . Even if the show were picked up, I think relations between the cast and crew are irretrievably broken. All the tweeting going on is bound to cause some really hard feelings. Talk about hostile work environment. Whatever happened to saying ugly things behind peoples backs?

"Theoretical physics can prove that an elephant can hang from a cliff with its tail tied to a daisy. But use your eyes, your common sense".... JIM GARRISON

Maybe Roseanne can get up and show these NFL players that are taking a knee how the Trumpies want the flag and national anthem properly honored , by grabbing her crotch Roseanne speaks for them and is represents their kind of people, per their own words.

Now there's some comedy for you!

In the good old days, if one person insulted another, the two parties either took it outside or had a sit down and hashed it out. Now, everyone knows everybody's business and has to put their two Tweets in. It seems like social media only exacerbates the tensions amongst everyone.

People are still saying that another network will pick up the show. I think that's total bullshit. No one wants to touch that shitstorm . Even if the show were picked up, I think relations between the cast and crew are irretrievably broken. All the tweeting going on is bound to cause some really hard feelings. Talk about hostile work environment. Whatever happened to saying ugly things behind peoples backs?
    Very true. I also remember the days when someone felt insulted they would simply say fuck you or fuck off then go about their business. I just dont understand this "Im offended" you need to apologize bullshit.

Roseanne is what happens when Donald Trump and Alex Jones have a baby.

Tom Arnold was on CNN last night. He predicted all of this on Twitter back in December and has been talking to her children who have been trying to reign her in. He also said he spoke with Trump at a fundraiser "He's with Melania and I'm with my wife at the time, Shelby Roos, who's a political consultant," Arnold said. "And he said to me, oh my gosh, you married up in the world. And he goes, Roseanne was disgusting. And he said that to me out of the blue. Like, you know what, no matter what kind of divorce you had, that's a weird thing to say."
    Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups

Quote Originally Posted by Amy1217 View Post
    I agree. Make a Dan spin off. John Goodman is the best!
    They could pick up where the show left off. Roseanne didn't make it through knee surgery. Complications to painkillers and Ambien.

"Theoretical physics can prove that an elephant can hang from a cliff with its tail tied to a daisy. But use your eyes, your common sense".... JIM GARRISON

Former Australian Attorney-General George Brandis famously said in 2014, "People do have a right to be bigots you know," he told the Senate. "In a free country people do have rights to say things that other people find offensive or insulting or bigoted."

I argued with my fellow Labor Party members that he was right, much to their horror. He WAS (and still is) right. Like it or hate it, we cannot dictate how, what, or why people feel certain things. Right or wrong, thoughts and feelings cannot be dictated or regulated. It's very true that the world is 'full of people waiting to be offended by something, and expecting us to give a fuck.'

I loved the original Roseanne show, but had no interest in the reboot. I had read too much about how she is a Trump supporter, and had brought that into the character of 'Roseanne.' So it was a firm NO from me.

Roseanne is entitled to her stupid opinion and thoughts, but as a person in the public eye, and (one would assume) some influence, she perhaps should have kept her mouth shut, so to speak. Blind Freddie could've seen this backlash coming from a mile away. She's lying if she says she didn't think her comments wouldn't provoke such a strong response.

Lastly, if she really means the awful things she says, she shouldn't use Ambien as an excuse. She should just own it. But, noooo.. 🙄 Of course she didn't. I feel sorry for the rest of the cast and crew, but Roseanne brought all of this upon herself.

Of course she has a right to be a bigot. But the network has a right to pull the show because of her actions; I wouldn't want to be affiliated with anyone like that, either.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    Of course she has a right to be a bigot. But the network has a right to pull the show because of her actions; I wouldn't want to be affiliated with anyone like that, either.
    Oh, I agree completely! I think she is disgusting, and the network did the right thing. Apologies if it seemed like I condoned or supported Roseanne. I definitely do not!

Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    Exactly. She has a right to think and say anything she wants, but the network can do what they want, too. She represents them, and if they see that she's representing them in a way they don't want to be perceived they have every right to get rid of her. What the dumbasses shouting "free speech!" about this don't get is that you can't be arrested or prosecuted for your speech, but it doesn't protect your job or your livelihood.
    "A vagabond dreamer, a rhymer and singer of songs
    Singing to no one and nowhere to really belong." - Waylon Jennings

http://www.wwlp.com/world/roseanne-b...y-1/1214335080

Update

LOS ANGELES, CA - (AP) - After her network dropped her show, streaming services dropped her reruns, and her agency dropped her for a racist tweet, Roseanne Barr is vowing she's not finished.

Whether anyone will have her is an open question.

Mainstream television, where she saw soaring success both on the original "Roseanne" and the recent short-lived reboot, is probably out. But she finds herself in an environment flush with media outlets where the style of incendiary statements she was making long before Tuesday's tweet is not a hindrance, but rather an asset.

Whether or not she will see herself back on a major network is probably doubtful," said Eric Dezenhall of Dezenhall Resources, a crisis-management firm. "If her goal is earning the big bucks again, network is where you get it, but I think that for certain people what years ago was a career crisis is now a brand extension."

If Barr wants to present herself as a victim of a culture where political correctness has run amok, a stance she has already assumed on Twitter, she has a built in fan-base willing to embrace her next move, whether as an actress, comic or commentator.

"She does have people who will see her as kind of a brave First Amendment type figure," Dezenhall said, "and you now have all kinds of outlets for entertainers, ranging from podcasts to streaming networks, that encourage just her kind of obnoxiousness ... If you move lower on the food chain from networks, you can make an outrageous remark once a day."

Rebecca Sun, who covers the entertainment industry for the trade publication The Hollywood Reporter, agrees that while network TV is a non-starter, Barr will find a home if she wants it.

"The country is certainly divided enough and partisan enough," Sun said in an interview with The Associated Press. "I can easily see some sort of fringe right-wing media outlet wanting to capitalize on this publicity and give her some airtime."

She already has at least one offer.

Michael Caputo, a former campaign aide of President Donald Trump, is planning to launch a streaming video platform called Bond in June. In interviews with Variety and The Daily Beast, he said he had already eyed Roseanne as a contributor in some form, and intends to pursue her more seriously now that she's out of a job.

He tweeted at Barr that he could offer her a platform without the networks and executives that fired her. "Let your fans decide," he tweeted.

It's also unclear what exactly she would do on such a platform.

Other than the stand-up comedy career that preceded it, Roseanne has had little success outside of her sitcom.

And a return of that show in any form appears unlikely, as two of its executive producers and several cast members have condemned her and distanced themselves from her, while none have publicly defended her.

Prospects have varied for those whose careers have been upended by racial remarks. "Seinfeld" star Michael Richards has made only rare appearances in media since his 2006 racist tirade at a comedy club. Celebrity chef Paula Deen has been seen only slightly more after admitting under oath as part of a lawsuit in 2013 that she had used the N-word.

Mel Gibson is the closest thing to a successful comeback story. He spent some time in Hollywood exile after an anti-Semitic tirade during a 2006 traffic stop and racist rants caught on tape in 2010, but in recent years has directed the Oscar-nominated film "Hacksaw Ridge" and appeared in the major movies "Daddy's Home 2" and "The Expendables 3."

But it's unclear how hostile Hollywood will be to comebacks in general in its current #MeToo environment, Sun said, where many men have been banished for sexual misconduct and won't be welcomed any time soon.

"It's hard to know with any certainty, because of these changing times and we're finally not tolerating things we were tolerating before," Sun said.

https://www.thewrap.com/michael-moor...p-evil-genius/
    Michael Moore has taken to social media with a scathing and heartbreaking assessment Roseanne Barr?s downward spiral ? plus an assertion that President Donald Trump is ?evil? and a suggestion that the ABC network find a way to keep blue- collar stories on TV.

In a Facebook post on Friday, Moore recounted his over 25-year friendship with Barr, whose revived ABC sitcom was cancelled this week following a racist tweet targeted at former Barack Obama adviser Valerie Jarrett.

The documentarian made several comments about Barr?s mental state and subsequent downward trajectory ? which he says is sprung from the ?sewer of lies? from which she peddles.

?Roseanne seems to be suffering from some sort of madness. It?s more than just saying she?s a racist. She operates in the same sewer of lies, conspiracy theories and bigotry that?s been rising in America for years and that has now succeeded in electing our current president. Totally nuts,? Moore wrote.

After a sympathetic take on her upbringing as a Jewish girl in an intolerant Salt Lake City, Utah, and the merits of her groundbreaking depiction of the middle-class during the seminal first run of ?Roseanne,? Moore idly drops that the singer suffered a massive head injury as a child.

?Most people don?t know that she has suffered her entire life from a massive head injury she received during a serious car accident when she was a child. Her brain injuries were immense and she spent months in the hospital struggling to recover,? he writes.

Another key takeaway from Moore is that ABC should find a way to keep America?s working families represented on primetime TV.

?The smart people who were writing this Roseanne series can surely find a way to let the non-bigoted portion of the America?s working class (which I can tell you is the VAST majority) have their voice heard on network television. Why should it be silenced by one lost soul?? he asks.

While Moore laments Barr?s behavior and the lost opportunity of her cancelled reboot, he points to what he says is a more insidious and clear-headed evil.

?Trump, though he shows all the signs of being absolutely bonkers, is not insane. He?s the real deal. His racism and hate is real, it?s well thought-out, he?s the true master of manipulation, a brilliant performance artist, and an evil genius,? Moore said.

Here?s the full transcript:

I have known Roseanne Barr for over 25 years. I?ve known her as Roseanne Barr, Roseanne Arnold, just ?Roseanne?, then back to Roseanne Barr. I?ve spent time in her home, criss-crossed the country with her to help remove George W. Bush from the White House, appeared on her shows, been there for her when she needed something, and connected her with one of my producers who did an insightful, one-of-a-kind documentary into the genius and the tragedy that is Roseanne Barr.

On Tuesday Roseanne posted hateful, slanderous tweets directed at four people: George Soros, Valerie Jarrett, Chelsea Clinton and me. A few hours later, she was fired by ABC.

For the past few years, Roseanne has been posting the craziest stuff on Twitter, like claiming Hillary was part of a child sex abuse ring being run out of a DC pizza place. She?s claimed that the Clintons have murdered people. And anyone who criticizes Benjamin Netanyahu is a ?nazi.?

Roseanne seems to be suffering from some sort of madness. It?s more than just saying she?s a racist. She operates in the same sewer of lies, conspiracy theories and bigotry that?s been rising in America for years and that has now succeeded in electing our current president. Totally nuts.

Here?s who?s not crazy: Donald J. Trump.

Trump, though he shows all the signs of being absolutely bonkers, is not insane. He?s the real deal. His racism and hate is real, it?s well thought-out, he?s the true master of manipulation, a brilliant performance artist, and an evil genius. He outsmarted a nation of liberals and Democrats and won the White House by losing the actual vote of the people. He neutered and then destroyed the Grand Old Republican Party. He knows exactly what he is doing.

Roseanne, on the other hand, is a person who long ago broke through and brought an authentic voice of working women and men to television via one of the greatest TV series of all time. It was groundbreaking because the TV industry had historically either ignored, ridiculed or patronized those of us who grew up in the working class. Roseanne changed that.

But she is also a damaged soul. Most people don?t know that she has suffered her entire life from a massive head injury she received during a serious car accident when she was a child. Her brain injuries were immense and she spent months in the hospital struggling to recover.

I also have no idea what it was like to grow up, as she did, as a Jewish girl in Salt Lake City. Not a tolerant state, to be sure. She told me how her parents, who owned an apartment building, were asked by the U.S. government after World War II if they would be willing to house Holocaust survivors who had come to the U.S. as refugees. Her parents took dozens in, and Roseanne?s childhood was spent with these survivors as her ?family.? ?The stories they told me,? she said, ?were filled with unimaginable horror. I?ve always wondered what effect that had on me as a little girl.?

Now, sadly, for the past few years, Roseanne has been in a downward spiral, ranting like crazy on Twitter, spreading conspiracy theories, attacking the people she used to love, supporting Trump, and being just an outright hateful and racist person. It has been a difficult decline to witness. She has repeatedly attacked me, and on Tuesday, after calling George Soros a ?Nazi? (he?s a Jew and a Holocaust survivor), Valerie Jarrett an offspring ?of the Muslim Brotherhood and Planet of the Apes,? and saying that Chelsea was ?married to? a Nazi relative of George Soros, she then retweeted a disgusting new word for me because I have spoken out against the Netanyahu government and its killing of Palestinians ? ?#JewHater?. Nonstop insanity and sickness.

I guess there might be 20 million Americans (out of 320 million) who probably agree with her. She has thrown down with the lowest of the low, and who knows if she?ll ever recover from this descent into her own personal hell.

To close, I want to say just how great the new Roseanne show was. It was funny but brutal to watch because it showed how our system of greed has hurt millions of families like the Connors of Illinois. On the final episode last week, Roseanne was addicted to opioids because she couldn?t afford the knee surgery she needed, so she suffered along in agonizing pain. Dan, her husband, in order to raise money for her surgery, decided to take a non-union job ? and Roseanne berates him for doing so and letting his union brothers and sisters down. There are a couple quick knocks on Trump, making it clear that the real Roseanne was not writing or running this show. For the past 9 weeks, the new Roseanne show has shined a powerful and necessary light on what it means to be working class in 2018. Her blended family on this new series was white and black and LGBTQ, and her generous neighbors next door were Muslims who forced her to confront her own bigotry.

If only her art could have helped her in her real life.

(Also, let me say this: There?s no reason the show has to go just because she?s gone. Over the years, TV has found ways to bring Bobby Ewing back from the dead on ?Dallas?, forced us to accept the two Darrins on ?Bewitched?, and found ways for hit shows to survive when their stars bolted after a year or two [David Caruso on ?NYPD Blue?, Pernell Roberts on ?Bonanza?]. The smart people who were writing this Roseanne series can surely find a way to let the non-bigoted portion of the America?s working class [which I can tell you is the VAST majority] have their voice heard on network television. Why should it be silenced by one lost soul?)
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

http://tvline.com/2018/06/01/roseann...t-abc-renewed/

Update Carsey Werner is lobbying to ABC over a Roseanne Spinoff though.

Darlene to the rescue? Roughly 72 hours after cancelling Roseanne amid controversy, ABC is looking to possibly keep the franchise alive with a spinoff centered on Sara Gilbert’s acid-tongued single mom, TVLine has confirmed.

The standalone Darlene series was one of five offshoots proposed by TVLine in the wake of Roseanne‘s spectacular fall on Tuesday. ABC could not be reached for comment.

It was three days ago that ABC announced it was scrapping the series’ already-greenlit 11th season after its titular star Roseanne Barr tweeted a racist “joke” about Obama advisor Valerie Jarrett. In announcing the cancellation, ABC president Channing Dungey called Barr’s comment “abhorrent, repugnant and inconsistent with our values.” Gilbert, meanwhile, said she was “disappointed” in Barr’s actions “to say the least,” while showrunner Bruce Helford said he was “horrified and saddened” by the remark.

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    Maybe if she would have left the Muslim part out she could have skated by. I'm not racist in the least and I think Kid Rock looks like a catfish. George Jones DID look like a damn possum.

It's comical to see how the makers of Ambien and anyone remotely affiliated with her are trying to cover their asses so they don't get splashed or smell from the shit storm she has created for herself. I don't see her bouncing back from this one.
    Where to start....

There's a racist history with comparing black people to ape, monkies... Etc... Just. Don't. Ever. Go. There. She knew what she was doing and is continuing to do. It's racist. I don't care if you're the spitting image of a ape, you don't say, even as a black person, we don't say that to each other.

I've taken ambian, and it didn't make me jump on social media and call people a bunch of racial slurs. She's full of shit. I don't know anyone else who's taken it and turned racist. Anyone who tries to say, well ambian made me eat 40 oreos is excusing her. It's not the same!

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by KambingSociety View Post
    Carsey Werner the owners of Roseanne should have made policies on what people should or should not do on Twitter though.

Carsey Werner should have gotten their act together and have a meeting with Roseanne before this happened.
    I'm sure that they did. Which is probably why they pulled the plug so fast. She violated some type of agreement.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...-spinoff-rumor

Update a possible Roseanne Spinoff is currently being Lobbied to ABC by Carsey Werner.

Quote Originally Posted by KambingSociety View Post
    https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...-spinoff-rumor

Update a possible Roseanne Spinoff is currently being Lobbied to ABC by Carsey Werner.
    I had a feeling they would try to salvage the show somehow, it made the network a lot of money. Maybe it's just me, but Darlene is a completely different character now (understandably since she grew up). Even her voice is way different. She's not a brutally honest smartass and is kind of depressing. I don't know how they are going to revolve the show around her character.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Thread Information