Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 'Roseanne' Canceled By ABC After Racist Tweets

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    I had a feeling they would try to salvage the show somehow, it made the network a lot of money. Maybe it's just me, but Darlene is a completely different character now (understandably since she grew up). Even her voice is way different. She's not a brutally honest smartass and is kind of depressing. I don't know how they are going to revolve the show around her character.
    I agree. The only way they can fix the show without Roseanna is to allow the characters to grow. Make Jackie strong and not mealy, give Darlene back her girl balls, let grandma's crazy flag fly, add in aromance for Becky, and give the son character more depth.
    Marshmallow here is the one I liken to Ed Gein... Originally Posted by Heartbroken1

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...at-abc-1117075

Sources say a formal announcement could come this week.

Less than a week after its stunning decision to cancel Roseanne, ABC is inching closer to a spinoff of TV's No. 1 series.

Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that the network is knee-deep in conversations with executive producers including Tom Werner for a new incarnation of the multicamera comedy. Werner's Carsey-Werner banner produced the original series and its revived 10th season, with the veteran executive said to be highly engaged in finding a way to continue the franchise with stars Sara Gilbert (who plays Darlene), John Goodman (Dan) and Laurie Metcalf (Jackie). Sources note that it's likely the entire cast — sans star Roseanne Barr — and creative team, including showrunner Bruce Helford and the same writing staff, and crew would return for whatever the new incarnation is. Multiple ideas are being discussed, including one focused on Darlene, as Gilbert was the driving force behind the ABC revival.

ABC on May 29 canceled Roseanne after Barr's racist tweet directed at Valerie Jarrett, a senior adviser to former President Barack Obama. The star, who has been an outspoken advocate for President Donald Trump, later apologized and said she "begged" Disney-ABC TV Group chief Ben Sherwood not to cancel the series. (ABC declined comment, though multiple sources within the network contend that conversation never happened and Barr has since deleted that tweet.)

On Friday, ABC scheduled a meeting with producers to discuss potential ways to continue the show. Those talks are said to have heated up over the weekend, with Werner highly engaged in finding a way to keep the series going. An announcement could come as soon as this week.
    Update

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/ros...rt-1202833524/

Here is an Update on Carsey Werner's efforts to sway Channing Dungey of the ABC Entertainment division over efforts to get the Spinoff in production.

While key hurdles remain, a decision is expected within a week or so from ABC on a possible “Roseanne” spinoff built around Sara Gilbert’s character Darlene, Variety has learned.

Industry sources say that Gilbert and fellow “Roseanne” executive producers Tom Werner and Bruce Helford met Monday with ABC Entertainment president Channing Dungey. The producers pitched Dungey on a spinoff idea they developed over the weekend that would focus on Gilbert’s character Darlene. A decision could come from ABC as early as this week on whether or not it is willing to move forward with the spinoff.

Indications are that key cast, including John Goodman and Laurie Metcalf, both of whom had been set to star in the upcoming season of “Roseanne” would come aboard for a spinoff. Showrunner Helford and most of the revived series’ writing staff would also be set to participate.

Because schedules had already been cleared to have the new season of “Roseanne” ready in time for fall, production on the possible spinoff could be up and running quickly — though not quick enough that the show could make it onto the schedule in time for the start of the fall season. Insiders noted that the earliest initial episodes might be available to premiere by would be late November.

A major stumbling still appears to be “Roseanne” star Roseanne Barr, whose racist tweet last week prompted ABC to cancel the multicamera comedy that had just recently been crowned TV’s highest rated scripted show in the 18-49 demo. Barr is considered creator of the character Roseanne Connor, a status that is believed to give her a stake in any spinoff. ABC is believed to still be opposed to any deal that would see Barr gain financially from a spinoff on its air.

Working in the spinoff’s favor is the belief that curiosity would drive large audiences to the show’s premiere in much the same way that the “Roseanne” debut benefited from questions over whether and how Barr’s support for President Donald Trump would manifest itself onscreen.

An ABC spokesperson declined to comment for this story.

ABC announced on Tuesday morning that it had canceled “Roseanne” just hours after the star apologized for a racist tweet directed at Valerie Jarrett, a former aide to President Barack Obama. Barr subsequently apologized for the tweet, later blaming it on her consumption of the sleeping drug Ambien. But since the show’s cancellation, she has lashed out at fellow stars and producers, including Gilbert.

https://m.sfgate.com/entertainment/t...e-12978910.php

Now the leader of Carsey Werner speaks out on the Roseanne issue.

https://deadline.com/2018/06/roseann...er-1202410310/

Update on Roseanne. Good Luck being a pundit for Alex Jones.

Refresh for updates Roseanne Barr says the tweet that got her sitcom Roseanne canceled ? the one likening former Obama aide Valerie Jarrett to a Planet of the Apes character ? was not only not racist, but was a condemnation of anti-semitism.

?Rod Serling wrote Planet of The Apes,? Barr tweeted tonight. ?It was about anti-semitism. That is what my tweet referred to ? the anti semitism of the Iran deal. Low IQ ppl can think whatever they want.? (The Twilight Zone creator wrote the script for the 1968 film, an adaptation of Pierre Boulle?s 1963 novel).

In Barr?s original tweet that prompted the firestorm, she wrote: ?Muslim brotherhood & planet of the apes had a baby=vj.? The tweet was widely interpreted as racist. Barr has not previously mentioned the anti-semitism angle.

Earlier tonight, Barr directed questions to Thomas Muhammad, her 2012 presidential campaign manager and director of a new Malcolm X documentary, but now says she?ll be speaking for herself ?soon.?

Rod Serling wrote Planet of The Apes. It was about anti-semitism. That is what my tweet referred to-the anti semitism of the Iran deal. Low IQ ppl can think whatever they want.

? Roseanne Barr (@therealroseanne) June 14, 2018

Also tonight, Barr writes that she has ?developed a bit of palsy? in her head and hands due to recent stress, but is now sleeping ?without ambien.? She thanks God, bids her followers goodnight and says ?we are winning! don?t give up! PEACE is coming!?

I have developed a bit of palsy in my head and hands due to the stress I have lived thru-I sleep alot now-without ambien too, thank G0D!! goodnight-we are winning! don't give up! PEACE is coming!

thank u to my friends @LionelMedia and @seanhannity @normmacdonald and my family & friends 4 helping me when I was broken.

And she retweets a birthday greeting to President Donald Trump (along with a photo that, well, see for yourself below) and thanks Rosie O?Donnell ?for support and love and understanding even when we disagree!?

i want to thank my dear friend, @Rosie for support and love and understanding even when we disagree! I LOVE YOU!

guys, I have been planting trees digging in the earth singing and feeling a great deal of relief. I will begin to speak for myself in media soon.

happy birthday to our commander in chief #TheRainMakers #RainMakersUnite #QAnon #SpyGate .@realDonaldTrump .@DonaldJTrumpJr .@RealCandaceO .@therealroseanne .@CharlieDaniels .@RealJamesWoods .@dbongino pic.twitter.com/ADMcGlWaPw

? Stephanie williams (@Pinnylaine) June 14, 2018

She's back pedaling hard on Twitter. She was just hyping some documentary about Malcom X.
    Gooble goble gooble goble one of us one of us. t(-_-)t

Is it just me, or do others find articles that quote tweets then show the actual tweets annoying?

I'm glad Roseanne found someone to put a proper spin on her tweet. Also annoyed about the bit about low IQ people not understanding her deep thoughts expressed on twitter. Peace is coming tho, so yay. Funny how she sleeps well without ambien when she is stressed and only needs it when she has a hit show with a promising future.
    Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups

Quote Originally Posted by marycontrary View Post
    Is it just me, or do others find articles that quote tweets then show the actual tweets annoying?

I'm glad Roseanne found someone to put a proper spin on her tweet. Also annoyed about the bit about low IQ people not understanding her deep thoughts expressed on twitter. Peace is coming tho, so yay. Funny how she sleeps well without ambien when she is stressed and only needs it when she has a hit show with a promising future.
    Like how they explain the tweet and quote the tweet then show a screen capture of the tweet? Yes
    Gooble goble gooble goble one of us one of us. t(-_-)t

https://deadline.com/2018/06/roseann...nt-1202411838/

Update on Roseanne

It’s been almost three weeks since ABC’s abrupt cancellation of its flagship comedy series Roseanne following a controversial tweet by star and executive producer Roseanne Barr. And while there is still no official decision on a potential spinoff series, a lot of leg work has been done behind the scenes.

I hear Barr is expected to sign an agreement that would remove her from the potential spinoff and prevent her from suing over it. Terms of the agreements are unclear but it may involve a one-time payment from production company Carsey-Werner to Barr in exchange of her relinquishing any rights so she won’t be entitled to any profits from the spinoff.
    ABC

Because of the circumstances under which ABC canceled the Roseanne revival, the network’s executives have been adamant that they would only proceed with a spinoff series if Barr has absolutely no involvement — creative, financial or any other.

I hear, barring any last-minute change of mind by Barr — which would not be completely out of character — her agreement is expected to be signed soon. I hear ABC has seven days after that to make a decision on a pickup.

With its conditions of no Barr involvement in the new series met, I hear ABC is likely to proceed with the spinoff. The network and the producers already had been brainstorming titles with several contenders in play. While Darlene was a moniker that had been circulated early on when rumors first surfaced about a possible new series centered on the character played by co-star/executive producer Sara Gilbert, I hear another name that is under consideration is The Conners, which would keep the strong ties to the original series without any Roseanne references while also underscoring the show’s family and ensemble nature.

As this is considered a new series, I hear the cast and the writers all have closed or are in final stages of negotiations on new contracts for the proposed spinoff to replace the deals they had in place for Season 2 of the revival. That doesn’t necessarily mean different terms; I hear the established stars of the show will likely remain at the previously renegotiated salaries for next season, reported to be around $300,000 an episode, though I hear the new pacts are for one year vs. the previous two-year length. I hear there have been some pay increases for the writing staff that are coming back.

This all is part of an intricate business translation which involves calculating the cost of ABC’s cancellation of Roseanne and the price of a possible spinoff and rolling one into the other. It is being handled by Carsey-Werner, which recently ramped up operations as it had not served as a studio on a series in more than a decade, since the end of That ’70s Show.

In anticipation of a pickup for the spinoff, ABC continues to hold off on announcing a replacement for Roseanne on its fall schedule.

In another positive sign, Barr who, at times has been combative on Twitter in the weeks after the Roseanne cancellation, has adopted a mostly conciliatory tone in the last day or so. This is what she tweeted earlier today:I forgive everyone who hurt me. I forgive as fast as I can everyday. That is why I am able to live free. I want the best for everyone-I want no more racism or anti semitism or classism. I want peace! Let's all move on & help FREEDOM!

'Roseanne' Spinoff 'The Conners' Officially a Go at ABC
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...at-abc-1117397

I'm telling ya'll, poor Rosie didn't make it thru the knee surgery.

"Theoretical physics can prove that an elephant can hang from a cliff with its tail tied to a daisy. But use your eyes, your common sense".... JIM GARRISON

https://deadline.com/2018/06/john-go...es-1202419321/

Update Now John Goodman has been named to do another show called Righteous Gemstones besides the Roseanne Spinoff.

The televangelist family comedy created by the Eastbound & Down star finds McBride and the Treme vet teaming up to play the offspring heir apparent to Goodman’s world famous and acerbic preaching patriarch. As the McBride portrayed Jesse Gemstone arrogantly attempts to expand and modernize the global TV ministry that his Goodman played father Eli created “a long tradition of deviance, greed, and charitable work, all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ” comes into focus as the Gemstone legacy.

Long time McBride collaborator Jody Hill will serve as an EP as will David Gordon Green on the long percolating project. McBride will also direct the pilot HBO has just given the green light to. The trio of McBride, Joe helmer Green and Hill most recently worked together on the Netflix pic The Legacy of a Whitetail Deer Hunter, which launches on the streaming service on July 6.

Of course, the Righteous Gemstone news comes as Goodman’s dance card has filled up with ABC’s recent order of The Conners for this fall.

The now Roseanne-less spinoff replaces the canceled Roseanne after its star’s online racist tweets, career crash and burn. The plan is Emmy winner will do the Gemstones pilot first and shift into Dan Conner gear ASAP. If Righteous Gemstones is picked up to series by the now WarnerMedia owned premium cabler, Goodman will get in front of the camera with McBride after production on The Conners is complete, I hear.
    That could all be up to the Good Lord.

In the meantime, McBride is repped by CAA and the lawyer firm of Hansen, Jacobson, Teller, Hoberman, Newman, Warren, Richman, Rush & Kaller. Goodman is represented by the Gersh Agency and attorneys at Frankfurt Kurnit Klein & Selz.

Quote Originally Posted by KambingSociety View Post
    She thought the woman was white. Haha. That's a very Trumpish backpedal.
    "A vagabond dreamer, a rhymer and singer of songs
    Singing to no one and nowhere to really belong." - Waylon Jennings

https://variety.com/2018/tv/news/sea...ws-1202883588/

Update Roseanne to appear on Fox News.

https://deadline.com/2019/03/roseann...ew-1202568630/

Roseanne is ALex Jones

A new interview with defrocked TV star Roseanne Barr claims the originators of the #MeToo movement are ?Hos? and had harsh words for Sen. Kamala Harris, Christine Blasey Ford and others.

In an interview with Fox News host Candace Owens on the Candace Owens Show, Barr let loose with a verbal slam on the women whose stories created the worldwide movement against sexual harassment. ?They?re pretending that they didn?t go to trade sexual favors for money,? Barr said, asking why some women find themselves in men?s hotel rooms at 3 a.m.

She added: ?Well, you ain?t nothing but a ho. I know a ho when I see one.?

Barr also had choices words about comedian Louis C.K., whom Owens raised. ?That?s who I?m talking about, too.?
    As for Harris, Barr said, ?Look at Kamala Harris, who I call Kama Sutra Harris. We all know what she did? she slept her way to the bottom,? Barr said, alluding to the Senator?s past dalliance with California politician Willie Brown.
    Barr continued, suggesting Christine Blasey Ford, who accused Supreme Court Justice Brett Kavanaugh, ?should be in prison. White women privilege? kept her out of imprisonment, Barr contended.
    She added that freshman Representatives Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.) and Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.), were members of a terrorist organization. ?It?s scary that we have Hamas in our Congress,? she said.
    Barr also took a shot at Hollywood.
    ?When I went to bat for Sandra [Bernhard], Kathy [Griffin] and Sara [Gilbert] to get them on TV ? because I gave them all their TV jobs? you know what people at the networks told me? Those girls are too ugly to go on TV,? Barr claimed. ?And I said, ?This is so incredibly sexist. Look at me, I?m no beauty. You can?t take talent, for a woman, and reduce it to their facial flaws. Are you sh?ing me?? ?

Barr then claimed she has changed her mind.

?Nowadays, I?m like, you?re right. They are too ugly to be on TV.? She claimed they had ?ugliness inside.?

Thread Information