Thread: Roger Self runs over his daughter Katelyn and his daughter-in-law Amanda

Roger Self runs over his daughter Katelyn and his daughter-in-law Amanda

A man intentionally rammed a vehicle into a steak and seafood outlet in North Carolina on Sunday, killing his daughter and daughter-in-law who had been seated inside the restaurant with other family members, police said.

The vehicle's driver, Roger Self, was immediately arrested and the preliminary evidence indicates he purposely drove all the way into the Surf and Turf Lodge about noon, authorities said. Jail records show he's been charged with two counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of his daughter, Katelyn Self, a deputy with the Gaston County Sheriff's Office, and his daughter-in-law, Amanda Self, a nurse. The Gaston Gazette reports Amanda Self was the wife of Roger Self's son, Gaston County Police Officer Josh Self, who also was seriously injured, along with Roger Self's wife, Diane, and the 13-year-old daughter of Josh and Amanda Self. They are all expected to survive their injuries.

Police said they were opening a homicide investigation but they gave no initial indication what circumstances led up to the crash that sent stunned patrons scrambling at the eatery about 30 miles (50 kilometers) west of Charlotte.

Caleb Martin, a 14-year-old who identified himself as a busboy at the restaurant, said he saw the crash and was stunned by the suddenness of it all.

"I walked over to my station and I heard a loud boom," Caleb told WSOC-TV. He says he did not know what to do at first, but quickly joined arriving first responders in helping those injured by clearing debris and tables away. "The one guy I could help in back, he was pretty hurt."

Footage from the restaurant scene showed emergency responders treating people on the ground outside as shocked patrons milled about Sunday afternoon.

"He drove his car into the building, killing people, so that's why we took him into custody immediately," Bessemer City Police Chief Thomas Ellis Jr. said.

Katelyn Self, 26, was a four-year veteran of the Gaston County Sheriff's Office, Sheriff Alan Cloninger told The Charlotte Observer. She had worked as a corporal in the jail and was off duty when she was fatally injured.

Cloninger choked up as he spoke about the crash.

"Tragic, tragic loss of life ... we're suffering right now," he told reporters.

The sheriff's office tweeted a photograph of the deputy via social media, adding "Our hearts are broken" and saying the agency requested thoughts and prayers not only for the deputy's family and friends but for her "brothers and sisters in uniform."

Authorities said the family was requesting privacy and referred any questions to the family's pastor. Messages left at the telephone of the pastor by The Associated Press were not immediately returned.

The Gaston Gazette identified Roger Self as being from Dallas, North Carolina. A 2017 profile in the Gazette said Roger Self ran a private investigations business called Southeastern Loss Management. It said the business opened in 1989 and mostly helped companies investigate employees' wrongdoing.

Charlotte-Mecklenburg police spokesman Rob Tufano called the crash a "mass casualty" incident, and reports said some of the victims were flown by helicopter to a medical center. There was no immediate count on the number of injured or the extent of the injuries.

The Gaston Gazette identified the vehicle as a sports utility vehicle and photographs showed a shattered opening in a restaurant wall. Others showed people being treated on the ground outside the restaurant.
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...ob-fb-enus-580
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

The Sunday lunch rush was underway at the Surf and Turf Lodge in Bessemer City, N.C., a restaurant about 30 miles west of Charlotte. Inside the rustic eatery with wooden plank walls, Roger Self, a former police officer turned private investigator, was eating appetizers with his family. Around noon, the 62-year-old got up from the table. The family thought he was going to the restroom, the Gaston Gazette later reported.

Moments later, waiter Brandon Wilson was heading to check on the table when a sound shattered the dining room.

?I saw a white Jeep just fly past my face,? Wilson told the Gazette. ?It was so unreal. I saw chairs and tables and cups just flying everywhere. It just sounded like a tornado.?

With Self behind the wheel, the car blasted through the restaurant?s log cabin facade, punching into the heart of the building and colliding with the table where Self?s family was sitting, police said. Through curtains of dust, patrons and employees saw some people still pinned beneath the wreckage. ?I helped paramedics move tables off this dude, and I moved debris out of the way so they could get to him,? a busboy told WSOC.

On Sunday afternoon, police confirmed that two people were killed in the crash. But the deaths were not the result of an accident, police said. They allege that Self intentionally drove his car into the building.

Self was taken into custody and charged with two counts of first-degree murder. According to WSOC, one of those killed was Self?s daughter, Katelyn Self, 26, a deputy with the Gaston County Sheriff?s Office. The other victim has been identified as Amanda Self, Roger Self?s daughter-in-law, who was an emergency room nurse and the mother of two, the station reported. Three others were injured, including Amanda Self?s 13-year-old daughter, according to the Gazette.

Roger Self has not filed a plea. No lawyer representing him could be located.

?He drove his car into the building, killing people, so that?s why we took him into custody immediately,? Bessemer City Police Chief Thomas Ellis Jr. told reporters at a brief news conference on Sunday afternoon. But authorities have offered little insight into why a father would run down his family members.

?This is a hard time,? Gaston County Sheriff Alan Cloninger said at the news conference. ?All I would ask is for people to keep the family in your prayers, and also the sheriff?s office. Because we?re suffering a little bit right now.?

According to the Gaston Gazette, Roger Self arrived at the restaurant with his family, including Katelyn Self; Amanda Self; Amanda?s husband, Josh, a Gaston County police officer; Josh and Amanda?s 13-year-old daughter; and Roger Self?s wife, Diane. The group was beginning to eat when Roger Self left the table.

Self, however, allegedly returned behind the wheel of his Jeep.

?It was chaotic, dust everywhere,? a waiter recounted to the Gazette. ?The woman died in my manager?s arms.?

Self joined the Gastonia Police Department in the 1970s, according to a 2017 profile in the Gazette. Eventually, he jumped into private investigations, specializing in loss prevention for stores and corporate clients. ?My skill is learning how to gather information, getting someone to talk with me,? Self told the paper.

But in recent months, Self had been wrestling with mental illness, Austin Rammell, a pastor at Venture Church, told WSOC. A family friend for 16 years, he told the station that Self was beset by anxiety, depression and mental breakdowns. Sometimes he would go days without leaving his bed, Rammell said.

?He?s been taking precautions. He had all the guns removed from his house, so he was making steps that were rational steps.?

The family was aware of Self?s battles, Rammell said.

?Family has been loving him through this,? the pastor said. ?This was not a conscious act by their father, and they know that.?
    https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...ob-fb-enus-580
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Craziness.

Here are the FB pages I have found thus far.

Roger: https://www.facebook.com/roger.self.9

Katelyn (daughter): https://www.facebook.com/katelynbaby...on=friends_tab
    Dianne (wife): https://www.facebook.com/dianne.self...8%3A1526915986

I wonder if he was receiving psychiatric help?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Dude just completely lost his frootloops all of a sudden. That's so bizarre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Here is his daughter-in-law's FB, Amanda Self: https://www.facebook.com/mayaNkoleNkalebsMOMMY

That's really sad. As many ppl that do these kinds of things "claim" mental illness, imo, this guy sounds like he actually suffers from it.
    The fact that he just got up from the table and did this is bizarre, very.

That family's so lucky they took his guns. He's only a failed family annihilator because they did that

If the back of the car went in first, he was in reverse....was it an accident? I am confused. Originally I thought he intentionally drove straight into them.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

If the back of the car went in first, he was in reverse....was it an accident? I am confused. Originally I thought he intentionally drove straight into them.
    Maybe he means the vehicle was completely inside the building & from where he was standing the back of it was the part he could see? If not though it does sound weird

Captain of Fuckery captainjillian's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by puzzld View Post
    The Sunday lunch rush was underway at the Surf and Turf Lodge in Bessemer City, N.C., a restaurant about 30 miles west of Charlotte. Inside the rustic eatery with wooden plank walls, Roger Self, a former police officer turned private investigator, was eating appetizers with his family. Around noon, the 62-year-old got up from the table. The family thought he was going to the restroom, the Gaston Gazette later reported.

According to the Gaston Gazette, Roger Self arrived at the restaurant with his family, including Katelyn Self; Amanda Self; Amanda?s husband, Josh, a Gaston County police officer; Josh and Amanda?s 13-year-old daughter; and Roger Self?s wife, Diane. The group was beginning to eat when Roger Self left the table.

Self, however, allegedly returned behind the wheel of his Jeep.
    Ok well this is tragic for sure and I really feel for his family but I did snort at the bolded part of that article.
    It sucks because it sounds like he was trying, reaching out, telling them to take the guns, etc.
    I wonder if he had something like CTE? That can sort of come on like this right? Bipolar and others I would think wouldn't onset at this age, or would've been already struggled with earlier in life too, which doesn't seem to be the case here.
    Not a doctor, just an armchair thinker here of course.

I never try anything, I just do it. Wanna try me?

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    Yet another piece of shit human who needs to die. Instead, he kills his family members.

How many times are we going to read the same story? Goddamnit!

All you fucking idiots get fucking help, or take yourselves out. Leave the innocents the fuck alone.

Fucking asshole.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Thread Information