Thread: 'The Walking Dead' stuntman John Bernecker (33) died after he fell on set

'The Walking Dead' stuntman John Bernecker (33) died after he fell on set

A stuntman injured on the set of "The Walking Dead" has died from his injuries after an accident on set, officials said.

John Bernecker was pronounced dead Wednesday evening, Richard Hawk of the Coweta County Coroner's Office confirmed today to ABC News. The cause of death is accidental blunt force trauma.

Bernecker, 33, was performing a stunt fall Wednesday afternoon from a 22-foot balcony when it appeared he did not "get good separation from the balcony" on the way down, according to a Coweta County Sheriff's Office report obtained by ABC News. The report states Bernecker fell "head and neck first" on the concrete floor, and landed "just inches away" from a pad that was constructed for the stunt fall.

The police report cites a description of the incident from Matthew Goodwin, who is identified on IMDb as an assistant director on "The Walking Dead." Bernecker was treated by a medic on the scene and then airlifted to Atlanta Medical Center, according to the report.

AMC issued a statement Thursday acknowledging Bernecker suffered ?serious injuries? but not confirming his death. The network also said production for the show about a zombie apocalypse had been "temporarily shut down."

"We are saddened to report that John Bernecker, a talented stuntman for 'The Walking Dead' and numerous other television shows and films, suffered serious injuries from a tragic accident on set," AMC said. "He was immediately transported to an Atlanta hospital and we have temporarily shut down production.

"We are keeping John and his family in our thoughts and prayers," the statement continued.

The network did not immediately reply to ABC News today.

Bernecker, also a fight choreographer, has worked on projects including "The Hunger Games" and Marvel's upcoming movie, "Black Panther," according to his IMDb page.

SAG-AFTRA, the union that represents stunt performers and coordinators, said in a statement Thursday it is investigating Bernecker's accident.
    http://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/...ry?id=48628813
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    That's sad
    Quote Originally Posted by Miller22 View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. Poor Brennen Tammons.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    ....or exchanging Puke's wang for spicy nuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    I know, right? What the fuck, puke? Willing to take in Boston, an Irish dude and like, 17 dogs but not Ron? poor Ron.

This is sad. What a beautiful man.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    TMZ provided these pictures. The first shows where he landed (covered by cardboard), the second is the balcony he fell from. Very sad.

IMG_0212.JPGIMG_0213.jpg

At first I didn't see the big black thing and thought the cardboard was the "safety mat" lol.
    Oh well, back to gum.
    I know, right? What the fuck, puke? Willing to take in Boston, an Irish dude and like, 17 dogs but not Ron? poor Ron.

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    At first I didn't see the big black thing and thought the cardboard was the "safety mat" lol.
    I have to admit I did the same thing at first.

Such beautiful eyes.
    RIP.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    I have to admit I did the same thing at first.
    If either of you ever witness a crime, when the police ask you if you saw anything, please say no.

www.innocenceproject.org
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    If either of you ever witness a crime, when the police ask you if you saw anything, please say no.

www.innocenceproject.org
    Oh well, back to gum.

Thought the same thing about the cardboard.

Quote Originally Posted by becoming View Post
    Thought the same thing about the cardboard.
    The actual mat looked like a shaded area at first lol. I swear I'm not crazy.
    Oh well, back to gum.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/%e...id=mailsignout

‘Walking Dead’ Production Company Hit With Maximum Fine for Stuntman’s Death

Stalwart Films, which produces AMC’s “The Walking Dead,” has been hit with the maximum allowable fine for the death of series stuntman John Bernecker.

In a statement issued by the U.S. Department of Labor’s Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) on Friday, Stalwart Films was cited for “failing to protect employees from fall hazards while filming the television show, ‘The Walking Dead.’”

“OSHA issued a serious citation and proposed penalties totaling the maximum allowable fine of $12,675, for the company’s failure to provide adequate protection from fall hazards,” the statement reads. “OSHA investigated Stalwart’s filming location in Senoia after a stuntman was fatally injured after falling more than 20 feet.”

he was so gorgeous, I guess he used to be a model too...his old myspace has some pics of him on the runway at some fashion show .
    His gf might be devastated, she is a stuntwoman too. At least he died doing what he loved, it's such a dangerous job though, stuntmen live with risk of death at any moment.
    RIP John

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/...ntman-n1105206

A jury awarded an $8.6 million verdict on Thursday in the death of "Walking Dead" stuntman John Bernecker, who fell to his death on the set of the show in Senoia, Georgia, in July 2017.

The jurors found that AMC Networks' entity, TWD 8, and its production company, Stalwart Films, were negligent in Bernecker's death. The jury found that the parent company, AMC Networks, was not liable.

Jeffrey Harris argued the case on behalf of Bernecker's mother, urging jurors to find that the production failed to abide by its own safety rules.

"There's a total failure of the checks and balances that should have been in place to prevent this tragedy from happening," Harris argued in his closing statement. "There are policies that just aren't followed. That is ultimately what results in his death."

David Dial argued the case for the defendants, saying that Bernecker's death could not have been reasonably foreseen.

"It's a horrific, horrible accident, but nobody acted negligently," Dial argued. "No one acted carelessly or recklessly."

The jurors were shown frame-by-frame video of the accident. Bernecker was supposed to fall over a railing and off a balcony onto a thick pad 21 feet below. But as he flipped over, Bernecker unexpectedly grabbed onto the railing with his left hand. That changed his trajectory, causing him to swing back towards the wall. He missed his mark by nine feet, landing on his head on the cement floor. He died at the hospital two days later.

Harris questioned the stunt coordinator, Monty Simons, about why there was no padding closer to the wall. Simons testified that just before the stunt, Bernecker asked that the pad be moved further away. Simons was spotting Bernecker from the far side of the pad, and was more worried that he would go long, rather than land directly under the balcony.

"Never before have I ever heard or seen of anybody grabbing the railing and basically doing a gymnastics high bar exit that gets him flowing away from his mark, that he misses his mark by nine feet," Simons said. "I have never heard of anything like that and I couldn't conceive of it, and John didn't either."

Harris pressed him on whether Bernecker might have been reluctant to ask for more pads because it would halt the production, which was running behind schedule.

"I gave John every single thing he needs," Simons said. "That does not keep me up at night at all. The stunt was completely ready to be completely performed safety. Why John didn't drop the gun, went over the railing and held on, and then grabbed other stuff, and kicked the wall, and all this stuff, I do not know. That's something I will ponder the rest of my life. I gave him everything he needed to perform the stunt safely."

Harris also argued that the other actor in the scene, Austin Amelio, may have touched Bernecker just before the fall, which might have startled him. On the stand, Amelio adamantly denied touching him.

After the fall, Amelio said, "I was in complete and utter shock... It's the worst day of my life."

The jury exonerated Amelio, finding that he bore no responsibility for Bernecker's death.

The jury broke down responsibility for the accident between the corporate and individual defendants, allocating percentages to each. The jurors found that Tom Luse, the unit production manager, was 15% responsible; Jeff January, the first assistant director, was 10% responsible; and Simons was 4% responsible. Bernecker was found to be 6% responsible. Stalwart Films was held accountable for 40% of the accident, and TWD 8 was held 25% responsible. The damages are expected to be covered by insurance.

The jury also found that punitive damages were not warranted.

Thread Information