Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: GOLDEN STATE KILLER CAUGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    Would it be possible for LE to synthesize DeAngelo's DNA that they had and submit it as a customer, to see what relative matches they received?
    You actually have to send in a considerable amount of saliva to be analyzed. I had to submit mine twice because the first one did not contain enough DNA.

This is pretty fucked, honestly. I know 23 and me has denied requests to LE for dna before. This could end up in court and set a precedent. I'm glad they caught him, but I fear what may come of all this.

Would it be possible for LE to synthesize DeAngelo's DNA that they had and submit it as a customer, to see what relative matches they received?

From what I gather, they wouldn't have to do that. They could submit an already-completed DNA profile for comparison without having to submit the actual genetic material. Some are speculating they used the same database the Doe Network uses ... GEDmatch or something like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

The Golden State Killer took ?trophies? from his victims over the years, and he had lots & lots of victims, so his souvenir stash will be large... if he still has the stuff.
    He took things that we might expect- driver?s licenses, jewelry, etc., but here?s a strange twist:
    From one of his rape victims he took fourteen place settings of Noritake china, fourteen place settings of Reed & Barton silverware and a Reed & Barton butter dish! WHAAAT?! That?s weird, right? Isn?t that weird? Where the heck did he put all those things when he was leaving the scene of the crime? That?s a pretty big assortment. What the heck did he do with it? Did his family use it for their Thanksgiving dinners? Did he gift it to some newlyweds? I mean, the china & silverware are lovely, but STILL.
    I have soooo many questions.

Here?s a link to an article (with photos) in case you want to check out the china, silverware & some of the other stuff he took:
    https://www.google.com/amp/people.co...w-evidence/amp

From the link Nic posted above (see I read your posts Nic )

It definitely sound like they used the same kind of database that the DNA Doe Project is using. I didn't really understand until TH said, and I did some more reading, that this database is just profiles already done, that people have uploaded. I wonder how the people compiling it feel about this? I wonder if it will cause people not to want to upload now, or just the opposite?
    Aw, thanks for reading my posts! lol.

I feel like because it is so soon after this happened, we may have to wait to know for sure all that happened. But I do think they used a DNA site of some sort that matched to a relative, then I guess went through that person's family history to see who could have been a likely suspect.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

SACRAMENTO, CALIF. (KCRA) —
    Joseph James DeAngelo is at the Sacramento County Jail. He was arrested Wednesday after investigators linked his DNA to crimes committed by the East Area Rapist, the Sacramento County District Attorney said.

DeAngelo has declined interview requests, but neighbors who knew the 72-year-old for decades are sharing details of a man who now seems like an enigma.

Bryan Wood was a neighbor to DeAngelo in the 1980s as a teenager, and again as an adult in the 1990s. He remembers DeAngelo moving into his Citrus Heights home around 1980 and being a father of three daughters and a husband to an attorney.

The two bonded over remote-controlled model planes and boats. Wood, 50, now lives out of state.

Wood talked to KCRA 3's Vicki Gonzalez about the man he knew as "Crazy Joe."

Q: How much time did you spend at DeAngelo's home with RC planes and boats?

Wood: I’d say, in the summer months, probably two or three times a week. That’s how we naturally met him and struck up a conversation and became friends -- albeit a little bit of a strange friendship because he’s a little different.

Q: How so?

Wood: Talking to him, you could tell he had a high degree of intellect. You’d see some of the stuff that he was capable of doing or pulling off -- like putting a machine into his model aircraft and boats and stuff -- and you’re like that’s pure genius. But yet, a normal conversation, he would just have peculiarities.

Q: How do you remember him?

Wood: His nickname was always "Crazy Joe" because he would have these outbursts.

So, his nickname around the whole neighborhood was "Crazy Joe." He never gave any outward signs of having a devious past.

In fact, we didn’t even know he was a cop. We knew that he was in the Navy.

Q: As a family, what do you remember?

Wood: He was usually home with the kids, most often during the day, and he would go to work at night.

He never gave you any inkling, any kind of source, that he was mentally unstable or anything like that -- never at all. In fact, he was always a really, really good dad.

Q: DeAngelo is now accused of being the East Area Rapist. How are you processing that?

Wood: Oh for the love of God, you’ve got to be kidding me.

We were in the car with that guy.

My daughter has spent the night at his house. So, it’s still utter shock and disbelief.

We knew he was a little different. We didn’t realize he was that damn crazy.
    http://www.kcra.com/article/crazy-jo...-case/20079357

So he didn't tell his neighbor (who he hung out with a few times a week) that he was a cop. I am guessing because he would have to explain why he wasn't anymore or people would be able to find out themselves?

yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/26/us/go...rnd/index.html
    When police announced they had finally caught the Golden State Killer, Bruce Harrington had a simple message for the politicians who fought his tireless efforts to expand the California's criminal offender DNA database.

"You were wrong," he said.

Harrington, whose brother and sister-in-law were killed in 1980, spent years in front of public safety committees, pleading with them to embrace DNA technology.

"And frankly I ran into a buzz saw of opposition."

Many state elected officials and rights groups fiercely opposed any attempt by the state to expand its DNA collection database.
    Critics cited the privacy rights of people in police custody and questioned the constitutionality of allowing the state to gather DNA samples without evidence of guilt.

Bruce Harrington, whose brother Keith Harrington and his wife, Patty, were victims of the Golden State Killer

What the DNA database law does
    In 2004, California voters passed Proposition 69, known as the "DNA Fingerprint, Unsolved Crime and Innocence Protection Act."
    It gave the state broader powers to collect DNA. Now, it could get samples from anyone not just convicted of a felony, but even arrested for one.
    In some cases, authorities could also collect DNA from misdemeanor arrests.

DNA's role in the capture
    This week, when officials arrested the man believed to be the Golden State Killer, they said the break came from a DNA sample.
    They didn't elaborate exactly how DNA helped them identify former policeman Joseph James DeAngelo as their suspect in a string of murders and rapes during the mid-1970s and 1980s.

But outside the forensic lab where authorities announced the arrest, Harrington recounted his efforts to reporters.
    "I began my quest in the mid 90s when DNA finally came of force into the world of forensic science," he said.
    DeAngelo was charged this week with capital murder in the 1978 killing of Katie and Brian Maggiore. The 72-year-old man described by neighbors as a recluse is believed to have carried out 12 killings and at least 50 rapes in California, authorities said.
    Those crimes included the deaths of Harrington's brother Keith and sister-in-law Patrice, who were beaten to death in August 1980. Patrice Harrington was also sexually assaulted.

"That case was a strong incentive to work on developing the California state database, which now has about 2 million profiles," Orange County District Attorney Tony Rackauckas

"All the time, we had this case in mind -- eventually hoping to solve this case."
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

Up your ass should you make the mistake of pissing me off.
    I was watching Fox News as they broke the story (don't throttle me, I was at the car dealership getting my MILs car fixed, they had that shit on). Dude is in his 70s now, and DNA caught up to this motherfucker. All I can say is fuuucccckkk yes!

And how's that got to feel, knowing your family member is the East Area Rapist? "You're dead to me." That's how.

And Nic...hoollllyyyy shiittttt! You might have run across him over the years and never even realized it.
    Don't like what I have to say? I respect that. Go fuck yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by kevansvault View Post
    I was watching Fox News as they broke the story (don't throttle me, I was at the car dealership getting my MILs car fixed, they had that shit on). Dude is in his 70s now, and DNA caught up to this motherfucker. All I can say is fuuucccckkk yes!

And how's that got to feel, knowing your family member is the East Area Rapist? "You're dead to me." That's how.

And Nic...hoollllyyyy shiittttt! You might have run across him over the years and never even realized it.
    I know! We may have passed each other at the grocery store, for all I know. So creepy to think about!

A bit more on the DNA matching. It?s kind of long, so I tried to highlight some of the DNA particulars.
    LE got a partial match from a ?distant cousin? of DeAngelo?s and traced a mutual ancestor back to his third great grandfather. They worked their way forward from there (and yeah, they honed in on the wrong guy last year!).
    It appears that DeAngelo threw away something with his DNA on it last week that they retrieved, so that should be totally legal.
    But the legality of uploading the DNA evidence from the crime scene to GEDmatch to find familial DNA- like some of you guys have said- is rife with privacy issues.
    I?m leaning toward the belief that the court will allow it because 1)- GEDmatch is straightforward about stating it?s an open-source platform where people voluntary upload their info and are informed that their DNA may be used for ?purposes beyond genealogical research? and 2)- IT?S THE GOLDEN STATE KILLER. At least 12 murders, 50+ rapes and well over 100 burglaries? FUCK. I think- and I HOPE- they won?t toss it out (and I?m generally a very liberal person).
    But I think we?ll see new regulations moving forward. And we?ll need them.

WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK ABOUT THIS FAMILIAL DNA MATCHING?
    I?d love some input!

The first step in finding Golden State Killer suspect: Finding his great-great-great-grandparents on genealogy site

By RICHARD WINTON, TRACEY LIEN, PAIGE ST. JOHN and BENJAMIN ORESKES
    APR 27, 2018 | 5:10 PM
    SACRAMENTO

There was no match in the FBI's national DNA database. A search of California's forensic data bank came up blank.
    The clue that led investigators this week to the door of the suspected Golden State Killer came instead from an unexpected source: an amateur genealogy website that's something like the Wikipedia of DNA.

The arrest of Joseph James DeAngelo Jr., a 72-year-old former police officer suspected of a string of rapes and murders across California from 1976 to 1986, hinged on GEDmatch.com, an open-source platform where people volunteer their genetic information in hopes of finding long-lost family members.
    The breakthrough marks a novel investigative technique concocted by authorities desperate for leads in one of the nation's most notorious cold cases. Investigators were not sure what, if anything, they would find, but they eventually uncovered a new trail they traced back to DeAngelo's great-great-great-grandparents. From there, they spent months narrowing down his family tree to land upon him as the suspect.

The tactic highlights the increasingly complex relationship between law enforcement, which covets genetic data; private sector companies, which have amassed heaps of it; and civilians, who volunteer their most personal information without always knowing how it will be used. And the approach is fraught with ethical questions.
    "It was basically a long shot on their part," said David Foran, director of the Forensic Science Program at Michigan State University.

The largest genealogy services, 23andme and Ancestry.com, conduct DNA tests for paying customers but largely shield their findings from other parties.

GEDmatch is a free service where consenting users upload test results from a variety of genealogy websites and cross-reference their findings to discover relatives who might have tested with different companies.
    "It's kind of intended to be unregulated so people on their own initiative can load their information," UC Berkeley law professor Andrea Roth said.

Founded in 2011, the site is run by genealogical enthusiasts and is funded by donations and sales of more sophisticated search features. It has amassed around 950,000 user profiles ? a fraction of 23andme's more than 2 million customers and Ancestry.com's 10 million test-takers. But GEDmatch's data is not encrypted and is stored in plain text. Its privacy policy warns its information could be used for purposes beyond genealogical research.

That made the site the perfect tool for investigators, who were able to search it without needing a warrant and parse genetic profiles of a new swath of individuals who haven't previously been arrested.

Turning to GEDmatch was the idea of forensic criminologist Paul Holes, who spent years on the Golden State Killer investigation and recently retired from the Contra Costa County district attorney's office, and Stephen Kramer, an FBI lawyer.
    "We went on a roadshow to educate everyone about the idea," Holes told the Los Angeles Times.
    They won support from prosecutors but struggled to find a way to create a genetic profile for testing that wouldn't compromise too much of the remaining DNA evidence.
    That's when Steve Rhods, a Ventura County district attorney's office investigator, discovered a second rape kit in the coroner's office from the slaying of Lyman and Charlene Smith in Ventura in 1980.
    "It was the mother lode of DNA," Holes said, giving investigators enough material to pursue the genealogical approach.
    Holes said he uploaded the data and watched the magic happen. "We are talking third, fourth and fifth cousins and more distant than that, but it is a starting point," he said.

The lineage search went back to "great-great-great-grandparents in the early 1800s to find the common relatives," he said. Since the start of the year, investigators have been tracing their way down the family tree to find a suspect.
    "Most of the people we were getting were from the East Coast or Midwest until we finally found the branch of a lineage that came out West," he said.
    Science turned to gumshoe investigating as law enforcement whittled down suspects. DeAngelo came to their attention around six weeks ago, Holes said, and wasn't the initial front-runner. But parts of his past lined up with the Golden State Killer's timeline.

Investigators reached out to others in DeAngelo's life in the 1970s and 1980s. They had long suspected the killer had a law enforcement background. After talking to the police chief in the city of Auburn, where DeAngelo once worked as a police officer, they "began to think, 'Does this guy add up?' " Holes said. "I began to think ? is this finally our killer?"
    Investigators put DeAngelo under surveillance and surreptitiously obtained two DNA samples, which they matched with evidence from several of the killings. He was taken into custody Tuesday at his home in Citrus Heights near Sacramento.

DeAngelo made his first court appearance Friday, wearing an orange jumpsuit as he was rolled into a downtown Sacramento courtroom handcuffed to a wheelchair. He appeared drowsy and expressionless throughout the brief hearing. Investigators believe he is responsible for at least a dozen homicides and 46 rapes.

The move by law enforcement to tap a database not originally intended to help catch criminals opens a new front for detectives while simultaneously raising questions about privacy in the digital age.

Melissa Deangelo, a GEDmatch.com user from Mississippi, said Friday that she was surprised by the company's disclosure that DNA housed on the site may have played a role in the suspect's arrest.
    "Is it an invasion of privacy? Yes," she said. "Was it worth the risk considering what he was doing? It was."
    (She does not believe the Deangelo family she married into is directly related to the accused California serial killer.)

Former Los Angeles County Dist. Atty. Steve Cooley believes the public safety benefit of mining DNA outweighs privacy concerns.
    "Law enforcement was creative and resourceful, and what they did was lawful and I commend them," Cooley said. "It doesn't mean there won't be issues raised, but at the end of day, you have to give a certain amount of weight to taking a serial murderer and rapist who has been unapprehended for four decades off the streets."

It's easy to see why people would cheer the use of such tactics, said Roth, the Berkeley law professor. But "before we celebrate, we have to remember that the government probably looked at a lot of innocent people before getting here," she said.

GEDmatch says it was not approached by law enforcement regarding the case, but it said users should be cognizant their data could be used by outside parties.
    "While the database was created for genealogical research, it is important that GEDmatch participants understand the possible uses of their DNA, including identification of relatives that have committed crimes or were victims of crimes," the company said in a statement. "If you are concerned about non-genealogical uses of your DNA, you should not upload your DNA to the database and/or you should remove your DNA that has already been uploaded."

DNA doesn't simply identify an individual, warned Lee Tien, senior staff attorney for the Electronic Frontier Foundation, it identifies whole families.

"People say, 'I signed this consent form,' but he or she is not the only one. The privacy of everyone I'm related to is affected," Tien said.
    If investigators had no reasonable suspicion the Golden State Killer or his relatives were GEDmatch users, the tactic is the "definition of a fishing expedition," Tien said.

Ruth Dickover, director of UC Davis' forensic science program, described law enforcement's approach to catching the Golden State Killer as a glimpse into a future in which virtually all genetic information is accessible to the government.
    "Unlike a Social Security number that can be forged," she said, "your DNA is your DNA, and it's with you from birth to even a little after death."
    http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...outputType=amp

Not at all her fault, but I can't imagine how this lady feels right now. I would also love to know why she broke off the engagement, and if she ever suspected him of being the Golden State Killer after what he told one of his victims?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-revealed.html

Ex-fiancee who broke suspected Golden State Killer's heart, and 'sparked his rape and murder' spree, is a travel blogger who went on to marry successful accountant and is now in hiding
    Thx for posting this RBW!
    I also wonder what made her break it off. I assume she?s in hiding now to get away from the press & the gawkers? It seems like the Daily Mail can find almost anyone nonetheless. They even posted the names & ages of his three daughters, which I hadn?t seen before. It seems like SOMEONE would?ve known something was wrong with him, but who knows? Apparently everyone who knew him is in shock rn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0rELEZvseg

Check this newscast from the 1980's during the time of the Deangelo murders there were other serial murders at play in the Sacramento area.

Awww... poor dude hasn?t had any visitors? Cry me a fucking river. I would love to know what are the reactions of his daughters, ex-wife, grandkids & friends. I?m sure they?re horrified, but it?s hard for me to understand how no one had a clue that he was a sicko. Altho we hear it all the time- ?WE HAD NO IDEA!? I?d like to learn more about this phenomenon.

And his ?confused & frail old man? demeanor is just an act, according to one of the investigators who worked on the case. I saw part of an interview with that investigator on HLN earlier today. Turns out that ?alleged? serial killer dude was under surveillance for several days prior to his arrest, and he was seen on his motorcycle zipping down the freeway at a high rate of speed (!). The $64,000 quote went something like this: ?DeAngelo has the agility (or was it vitality?) of a 50 year old.? LOL Not sure that that?s a ringing endorsement of his health, but I get it. He?s 72. And there are some very agile (and vital) 50+ year olds out there. I?m just not one of them!

Inside 'Golden State Killer' suspect's life in jail
    By WHIT JOHNSON EMILY SHAPIRO
    Apr 30, 2018, 9:50 AM ET

Joseph DeAngelo, the suspected serial rapist and killer known as the "Golden State Killer," was caught off guard when he was taken into custody at his California home on April 24, decades after his alleged crimes.

DeAngelo, 72, was brought to Sacramento County Main Jail and is in a cell by himself due to the notoriety of case, a Sacramento County Sheriff's Department investigator told ABC News.

No one has visited the former police officer so far, according to jail records.

DeAngelo was placed on suicide watch as a precaution, the investigator said, and has also undergone a psychiatric evaluation.

DeAngelo appeared in court Friday, handcuffed to a wheelchair, appearing dazed and with delayed speech.

But retired investigator Paul Holes, who spent more than two decades searching for the killer and is still consulting on the case, claims it's an act, saying DeAngelo was seen riding his motorcycle at high speeds a week before the arrest. ?He is a dangerous man -- he is not the decrepit individual you see in a wheelchair at the arraignment," Holes told ABC News. "He is a spry 72-year-old who is physically capable. He has numerous guns registered to him."

Holes also claimed that DeAngelo put up an effort to make his house blend into the neighborhood. ?I think that was part of his act," Holes said. "He wanted to blend into this neighborhood and not be perceived as this monster that possibly was living within this house."

DeAngelo, who police say evaded investigators for decades, is believed by authorities to have committed 12 murders, at least 50 rapes and multiple home burglaries throughout California in the 1970s and 1980s. He was tracked down by DNA samples from distant family members.

DeAngelo has not entered a plea. He returns to court May 14.
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/inside-gold...ry?id=54825172

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime...id=mailsignout

Did man serve 39 years for slayings actually committed by ‘Golden State Killer’ suspect?
    Damn.
    A man did almost four decades in the infamous San Quentin Prison for crimes he didn’t commit?!
    I’ve thought about this a lot, and I honestly think it would be worse for someone to be given a life sentence in prison/the death penalty for crimes he or she didn’t commit, rather than for the real criminal to go free. And my family has been victimized (my sister was murdered in 1978), so you’d think I might not lean in that direction, but yeah.

I was quite surprised to read that the police officer who worked to help this wrongly convicted man clear his name LOST HIS JOB at the police department back in 1991 because of those efforts. His supervisors told him to stop asking questions, to stop calling attention to possible errors that were made during the original investigation. To top that off, the ex-cop & his wife are letting the wrongly convicted man LIVE WITH THEM rn. Wow wow wow.

I’m sure we will find out soon if DeAngelo was the real murderer in this case, but whaddaya wanna bet they find out that he has even more victims than the ones we know of? I’d be willing to bet on it.

https://www.wired.com/story/detectiv...sing-genetics/

GEDmatch—a reference to the data file format GEDCOM, developed by the Mormon church to share genealogical information
    Am I the only one who didn't know this?

https://www.wired.com/story/detectiv...sing-genetics/

Am I the only one who didn't know this?

I didn't know GEDmatch was associated with the Mormons, but I knew Ancestry.com is. The Mormons have the most extensive collection of genealogical records in the world, because they like to posthumously Baptize people into the Mormon faith.

http://www.topsecretwriters.com/2012...logy-database/

Many years ago, my mom had to contact them to get a copy of my grandma's birth record because she had no birth certificate.
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

Quote Originally Posted by TupeloHoney View Post
    I didn't know GEDmatch was associated with the Mormons, but I knew Ancestry.com is. The Mormons have the most extensive collection of genealogical records in the world, because they like to posthumously Baptize people into the Mormon faith.

Many years ago, my mom had to contact them to get a copy of my grandma's birth record because she had no birth certificate.
    I have distant family members who are Mormon, so I knew they were into the whole genealogy and posthumous baptizing bullshit, but I had no idea they ran a DNA site. Ancestry.com makes sense...GED match I wasn't expecting.

Actually, family search dot org is the mormon site. Unless they acquired ancestry too. On familysearch you have to actually put in your mormon number to get in.
    Jenn

Quote Originally Posted by DiaDeLosMuertos View Post
    Actually, family search dot org is the mormon site. Unless they acquired ancestry too. On familysearch you have to actually put in your mormon number to get in.

Ancestry was started by Mormons and is collaborating with FamilySearch, so I think it's safe to say Ancestry is associated with the Mormons.

https://www.heraldextra.com/news/loc...0e111033a.html

Ancestry was started by Mormons and is collaborating with FamilySearch, so I think it's safe to say Ancestry is associated with the Mormons.

https://www.heraldextra.com/news/loc...0e111033a.html
    Ugh good to know. My inlaws are all mormon and were trying to get me to join to get a number so I can do family trees for free. No thanks here's my credit card, lol. I am on ancestry instead of the family one they tried to talk me into.
    Jenn

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    Familysearch is open to everyone. I love that website and I've found records for my southern black relatives that aren't in any other database.

Quote Originally Posted by Queena View Post
    Familysearch is open to everyone. I love that website and I've found records for my southern black relatives that aren't in any other database.
    Yep. I've found things there too.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

When you join the Mormon Church, they give you A NUMBER?!
    Hmm
    Is that at all common among other religions? I?ve never heard of such a thing.

Fun fact: if Ancestry.com has your personal info, including such things as birth certificate and marriage license posted, the only way to get them removed from general online access is to fill out a bunch more info and send them copies of your personal documents. Fuck no! I wish a bunch of people who are concerned with identity theft would start a class action suit on their asses! This should be an opt in by individual only database.

Fun fact: if Ancestry.com has your personal info, including such things as birth certificate and marriage license posted, the only way to get them removed from general online access is to fill out a bunch more info and send them copies of your personal documents. Fuck no! I wish a bunch of people who are concerned with identity theft would start a class action suit on their asses! This should be an opt in by individual only database.
    All my living family members items are private. My moms side are all estranged from each other and I can't find squat on the living people. :/
    Jenn

Thread Information