Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: GOLDEN STATE KILLER CAUGHT!

*last month

Thanks for the info & updates KambingSociety! There?s so much stuff to process. This guy destroyed many, many lives. I?m glad they finally nabbed him.

Quote Originally Posted by raisedbywolves View Post
    I was telling my husband earlier about the cold cases that have been solved here lately (Buck Skin girl, this case, Lauria Bible/Ashley Freeman). I think all the old criminals that were never caught should be looking over there shoulders-someone is coming for them. The new genetic tests and databases are giving away secrets at a super fast rate. I have some concerns about privacy and insurability after those tests are done, but the result of solving these cases is nothing but wonderful.

ETA: I would love to see a pic of this guy from the time period in question.
    Me too, an old picture would be great!

Here's one of the sketches they did of him next to a very shitty photo of him in the 70's.

https://twitter.com/crimebythebar/st...es-deangelo%2F

Illinois but the Southern part, which kind of sucks
    I just don't know what I would do if this were my dad. I would be second guessing every interaction we've ever had. I wonder if it's possible to solve the zodiac murders...Lyle Stevik, there are so many cases.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Non_Saepe View Post
    Nic, that is so crazy how close to home this hits for you!

I've been on the waiting list for Michelle McNamara's book at the library for a month and I just got the text this morning that it's ready for me to pick up. Anybody else read it?

Damn this is good news. I never thought it would be solved.
    I have the book, but I planned on getting to that after "Member of the Family". I can't wait to get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Amy1217 View Post
    Can't wait for this news conference. It's a shame Michelle McNamara couldn't be here to see how she probably helped get this guy with her book.
    That's the most tragic thing about this. It's amazing news, but it's sad that she's not here to see this. I truly believe that not only is she the reason this happened, but that this case didn't do her any favors and had a hand in why she died.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaniNYC212 View Post
    Here's one of the sketches they did of him next to a very shitty photo of him in the 70's.

https://twitter.com/crimebythebar/st...es-deangelo%2F
    Crazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

The crimes are:

June 18, 1976: Rape in Rancho Cordova. The victim said he jumped on her bed with a ski mask and a knife, then took some money and jewelry before leaving.
    July 17, 1976: Rape in Carmichael's Del Dayo neighborhood.
    August 29, 1976: Rape in Rancho Cordova.
    September 4, 1976: Rape in Citrus Heights.
    October 5, 1976: Rape in Citrus Heights. The victim, Jane Carson-Sandler, later discussed the attack in detail with The Island Packet newspaper in South Carolina.
    October 9: 1976: Rape in Carmichael's Del Dayo neighborhood.
    October 18, 1976: Rape in Carmichael's Del Dayo neighborhood.
    October 18, 1976: Rape in Rancho Cordova. Law enforcement publicly announced their hunt for the East Area Rapist at this point, and offered the first reward for information leading to his arrest — $2,500.

November 10, 1976: Rape near Greenback Lane in Citrus Heights.

December 18, 1976: Rape in Carmichael.

January 18, 1977: Rape in College Greens neighborhood in Sacramento. A housewife was raped while her husband was away, and their 1970 Chevy Malibu was stolen.

January 24, 1977: Rape near Madison Avenue and Sunrise Boulevard in Citrus Heights. The 25-year-old woman was bound with a rope and threatened with an icepick.

Feb. 7, 1977: Rape near Crestview Drive and Madison Avenue in Citrus Heights. About a week after this assault, a 18-year-old man was shot in the abdomen while chasing a "prowler" through Ripon Court in east Sacramento. The shooter was suspected to be the East Area Rapist.

March 8, 1977: Rape near Robertson and Whitney avenues in Sacramento. He forced open a sliding glass window and blindfolded and gagged his victim, as he did with many others.

March 18, 1977: Rape in southwest Rancho Cordova. Assaulted a 16-year-old high school student as she returned home to pick up clothes before spending the night with girlfriends.

April 2, 1977: Rape near Madison and Main avenues in Orangevale.

April 15, 1977: Rape near Madison and Manzanita avenues in Sacramento. He assaulted a 19-year-old woman in her home between 2:30 and 4 a.m.

May 3, 1977: Rape in College Greens neighborhood in Sacramento.

May 5, 1977: Rape near Madison and Main avenues in Orangevale. He accosted a woman and her husband at gunpoint outside their home, then raped her while her two children slept before ransacking the house.

May 14, 1977: Rape near Greenback Lane and Birdcage Street in Citrus Heights. He confronted a couple at gunpoint in their driveway before raping the woman from about 4 through 5:15 a.m.

May 17, 1977: Rape in Carmichael's Del Dayo neighborhood. The East Area Rapist told the woman he would kill someone if there was any press coverage of the assault, but later told her husband he would kill if there wasn't any press coverage. The first sketch of the suspect was released after this assault.

May 28, 1977: Rape near Sky Parkway in south Sacramento. He brandished a gun and wore a ski mask, and assaulted a 28-year-old woman while her young child slept next door.

September 6, 1977: Rape near Lincoln Village West in north Stockton. The first attack outside of the Sacramento area, he assaulted a 27-year-old housewife.

October 1, 1977: Rape near Tuolomne and La Riviera drives in Rancho Cordova. The victim was a 17-year-old girl who was visiting her boyfriend at the time.

October 21, 1977: Rape in Antelope. He raped a woman and left her and her husband to be untied by their two small children.

October 29, 1977: Rape near Woodson Avenue in Sacramento.

November 10, 1977: Rape on La Riviera Drive near Watt Avenue in Sacramento. The girl was just 13 years old, his youngest known victim.

December 2, 1977: Attempted rape near Brett and Revelstok drives in Foothill Farms. A man broke into the woman's home, bound her hands and shined a flashlight in her face. Two teenage boys then reportedly scared him away before she was assaulted.

January 28, 1978: Rape near East Walnut Avenue in Sacramento. He kicked in the door of a house near American River College, tied up two teen girls and sexually assaulted them.

February 2, 1978: Murder of Brian and Katie Maggiore in Rancho Cordova. The first people believed to be killed by the East Area Rapist were shot while walking their dog. Brian was shot in the chest in a neighbor's backyard, while Katie was shot in the head outside their home.

March 18, 1978: Rape in Stockton.

April 14, 1978: Rape near Seamas and Riverside avenues in south Sacramento.

June 5, 1978: Rape in Modesto. This was the furthest south the East Area Rapist had struck at this point.

June 7, 1978: Rape at UC Davis. He assaulted a 21-year-old student in her apartment.

June 23, 1978: Rape in Modesto.

June 24, 1978: Rape on Rivendell Lane in Davis.

July 6, 1978: Rape in Davis. He raped a 33-year-old mother of two at knifepoint after initially saying he wanted money for gasoline.

October 7, 1978: Rape near Treat Boulevard and Oak Grove Road in Concord. The rapist forced a woman to tie her husband up as he lay face-down on their bed, then stacked dishes on his back, warning him they would both be killed if the dishes crashed. He then raped her for hours and stole china from them before leaving.

October 13, 1978: Rape in Concord. The East Area Rapist bound and gagged the woman's husband and eight-year-old while he assaulted her.

October 28, 1978: Rape in San Ramon. His first assault in the Bay Area, this marked attack No. 40.

November 4, 1978: Rape in San Jose.

December 2, 1978: Rape in San Jose.

December 9, 1978: Rape in Danville.

April 5, 1979: Rape in Fremont. A 27-year-old woman was assaulted at knifepoint after being forced to stack dishes on her husband's back, much like the October 7 rape.

June 2, 1979: Rape in Walnut Creek. The victim was, again, just 13 years old.

June 11, 1979: Rape in Danville.

October 1, 1979: Broke in and tied up a Goleta couple. When they heard him repeatedly muttering, "I'll kill 'em," the woman began screaming, alerting neighbors. The East Area Rapist then fled on a bicycle.

December 30, 1979: Murder of Robert Offerman and Debra Manning in Goleta. Both were shot dead, and Offerman's bindings had been loosened, leading investigators to believe he tried to free himself before being killed. This was the East Area Rapist's first successful attack in Southern California.

March 13, 1980: Murder of Charlene and Lyman Smith in Ventura. Charlene, who was soon to become a county judge, was raped before being killed. Both had been bludgeoned by a piece of firewood.

August 19, 1980: Murder of Keith and Patrice Harrington in Dana Point. The Harringtons, who had been married for three months, were found bludgeoned to death in their home inside an Orange County gated community. Patrice had also been raped. Keith's brother Bruce, who led the charge to pass a 2004 proposition expanding California's DNA logs, spoke at Wednesday's press conference in Sacramento announcing DeAngelo's arrest.

February 6, 1981: Murder and rape of Manuela Witthuhn in Irvine. Witthuhn was sexually assaulted before being bludgeoned to death.

July 27, 1981: Murder of Cheri Domingo and Gregory Sanchez in Goleta. Domingo and Sanchez were murdered just a few blocks from Offerman and Manning. Sanchez suffered a nonfatal gunshot wound to the cheek before being bludgeoned with a garden tool. Domingo was raped before being killed.

May 4, 1986: Murder and rape of Janelle Cruz. After a five-year crime hiatus, the East Area Rapist struck again, raping Cruz before bludgeoning her with a pipe wrench while her family vacationed in Mexico.

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/cri...209788654.html

My God- Berm! I mean, I?ve seen shows & read articles about this guy, but seeing the long lists you posted... it blows my mind. Looking at your timeline... for much of the time, he must have been in a continuous violent crime cycle. They know he stalked people, observed their habits & schedules, and probably entered some of their homes prior to the day he actually committed the rapes/murders. So he must?ve gone directly from committing rape and, at times, murders, to hunting for his next victims.
    A continuous violent crime cycle.
    DAMN he was one busy son of a bitch. And each one of those names on the timeline you posted reflects the pain & despair that that bastard delivered to each victim, to their loved ones, coworkers, neighbors... the enormous ripple effect that crimes like these cause. I?m so glad he will finally be held accountable.

I wish I could copy & paste some of this stuff, but my phone won?t let me! From looking at a screenshot of an old newspaper article on this particular sub Reddit (link below), it appears that funds were allocated for DeAngelo- working at the time as a POLICE OFFICER, and another cop, TO INVESTIGATE A STRING OF BURGLARIES going on at the time (this was BEFORE the rapes started), but authorities now believe HE WAS THE BURGLAR, referred to The Visalia Ransacker. Did I read that correctly? He was investigating his own crimes? Omfg!
    Btw there are some photos here, and one side-by-side of a composite drawing to a photo of him at the time is nearly spot on.
    Wow.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/EARONS

It's so incredible that one person can get away with so much, but it makes more sense when you realize he could hide in plain sight and was well integrated in society. A "normal" guy, or a normal cop anyway.

I'm interested to hear what his family has to say, if anything.

Still curious to know why he stopped. Getting too old? Maybe when he started a family he decided to stop?

It's scary to see all the street names, growing up in the area. It just makes it creepy and I will always think of it when at those intersections I drive almost daily.
    Last edited by Nic B; 04-26-2018 at 07:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by marakisses View Post
    yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Quote Originally Posted by curiouscat View Post
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

http://fox40.com/2018/04/25/quiet-ci...a-rapist-case/

No one suspected because he just blended right in. Didn't live in a shitty part of town - nice house, neighborhood, etc. Just the older man next door. *shudder*

yes i said i will leave it under you storage he said cuddle with me i said shut up it over??? what am i doing wrong??
    Happy Birthday! I hid a dead body in your backyard to celebrate. Good luck finding it under the cement. You can only use a stick to look for it.

A little bit about his family...
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ler/553070002/
    Former police officer Joseph James DeAngelo was arrested by Sacramento police Wednesday as the suspected Golden State Killer, accused of a series of rapes and murders that terrorized California communities in the 1970s and 1980s.

The break came after FBI and California officials in 2016 renewed their investigation and offered a $50,000 reward for an arrest and conviction. A task force was set up to crack one of the state's coldest cases.

"For over 40 years, countless victims have waited for justice," Sacramento County District Attorney Anne Marie Schubert said at the news conference Wednesday. "We found the needle in the haystack and it was right here in Sacramento. The answer was always going to be in the DNA."

A court hearing was set for Friday. Here is what we know now:
    Who is this guy?

DeAngelo was born in Bath, N.Y., but graduated from Folsom High School in suburban Sacramento in June 1964. He enlisted in the Navy during the Vietnam War, returning home a decorated vet to earn an associate's degree in police science from Sierra College and a bachelor's degree in criminal justice at Sacramento State, the The Sacramento Bee reported. He married in 1973 and later divorced.
    What is he accused of?

DeAngelo was charged with eight counts of murder in three California counties. But authorities are trying to link him to 12 murders, 45 rapes and the ransacking of more than 100 area homes. Two murders and most of the sex assaults occurred in the three years he was an Auburn police officer outside Sacramento.
    When and where was he a police officer?

DeAngelo worked as a police officer for two California departments in the 1970s, first in Exeter and then Auburn. Some of the crimes were committed while he was an officer. Auburn police department fired DeAngelo in 1979 after he was arrested for stealing a hammer and a can of dog repellant from a store.

More: Golden State Killer: Ex-cop Joseph James DeAngelo arrested

More: Patton Oswalt and the Golden State Killer suspect
    What do we know about his life since?

The picture is not complete, but DeAngelo had been living in the Sacramento suburb of Citrus Heights with a daughter and granddaughter. He retired last year after working 27 years at a distribution center for Save Mart grocery stores, the chain confirmed. Neighbors said he built remote-controlled model airplanes and spent time working on his house and lawn.
    Did he threaten his victims?

In May 1977, as the frequent attacks gained national attention, the rapist told a victim he would kill two people if his attack reached the media. Less than a year later, after several more assaults, Brian and Katie Maggiore were fatally shot in Rancho Cordova on Feb. 2, 1978, while walking their dog.
    What evidence led police to him?

Authorities began revisiting the case in 2016, around the time of the 40th anniversary of the first known attack. New DNA techniques and more complete DNA databases recently allowed investigators to tie the various cases together and lead them to their suspect. He was then under surveillance for six days as police studied his movements to see how he might react if confronted, Sacramento county Sheriff Scott Jones.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    lol at Nestle being some vicious smiter, she's the nicest person on this site besides probably puzzld. Or at least the last person to resort to smiting.
    Quote Originally Posted by nestlequikie View Post
    Why on earth would I smite you when I can ban you?

I read they got his DNA to test by going through his trash.

I have read that too, but everything I have read still makes me think they took an initial interest in him because of some type of tip or familial DNA. There seems to be a lot of speculation in comments on articles that one of the daughters tipped LE off.
    I really want to know also what led police to him specifically. I keep seeing a vague "tip" so I have a feeling we won't know for a while.

There seems to be a lot of speculation in comments on articles that one of the daughters tipped LE off.
    I have a close friend who belongs to a group on Facebook. She sent me a screenshot where someone claiming to be a friend of the family says that the daughter found something (evidence? trophies?) linking him to the rapes/murders and turned him in as well as supplying her own DNA for testing. Obviously, this is hearsay...but who knows.

(Also...long time no see. I also came back from the dead here just to see this thread.)

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyGirl View Post
    I have a close friend who belongs to a group on Facebook. She sent me a screenshot where someone claiming to be a friend of the family says that the daughter found something (evidence? trophies?) linking him to the rapes/murders and turned him in as well as supplying her own DNA for testing. Obviously, this is hearsay...but who knows.

(Also...long time no see. I also came back from the dead here just to see this thread.)
    Ooh, juicy!

Folks on Reddit were saying it was familial DNA that led to him. People were saying one of his kids was arrested a few years ago, and when their DNA was put in the state database, there was a familial match with the GSK. That's when LE started investigating him and got something out of his trash to test for a match.

I can't remember if that was from a legit source or not, because I've been taking care of a sick child who has been spewing vomit all over my house, and I'm tired.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

After glancing again at r/unresolvedmysteries, I see that some people say they found the familial DNA through 23 & Me or a similar database rather than the state criminal database. I dunno.
    Quote Originally Posted by Not your business View Post
    I will out think the fucking pants off of you and you would thank me for helping you out of them.

DA: DNA from genealogy website led to Joseph DeAngelo's arrest

http://www.kcra.com/article/da-dna-f...rrest/20078221

This is crazy! WOW Berm that list is extensive. I am just blown away.
    Jenn

I came back to post this! Here's another article: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...426-story.html

I?m watching HLN rn. Billy Jensen, investigative journalist, basically confirmed that, but then he said that both Ancestry & 23 and Me have closed databases. So that?s a little confusing. Can a judge approve a warrant to search a closed DNA database? Whichever- it definitely sounds like cops got a familial match somehow.
    Programming Note:
    Set your DVR for HLN tonight if you want to see a rebroadcast of the entire series Unmasking A Killer tonight. It really good.
    Did I hear that he had a lawyer for a daughter & a doctor for a daughter too? Not sure if that matters, but still...
    Also, they?re saying that, SO FAR, they plan to charge him tomorrow for eight murders.
    Fun Fact:
    They just said (on HLN) that when the police came to arrest DeAngelo yesterday, he told them HE HAD A ROAST IN THE OVEN.
    Dafuq?
    The police told him not to worry about his roast, they?d take care of it.
    I?m trying to process the fact that this monster, this suburban American terrorist, this evil & perverted bastard, this burglar & rapist & murderer, told the cops he had a roast in the oven, as if he were a normal, kindly old grandpa. It?s just another example of the duality of people who do unspeakable things. It really blows my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyGirl View Post
    I came back to post this! Here's another article: http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...426-story.html
    Thx WhiskeyGirl! According to the article you posted, Ancestry, 23 and Me, and My Heritage deny that law enforcement reached out to them, but I don?t care how they got the familial DNA match just as long as it was done *legally* so that this bastard can?t weasel out of it. And I feel confident that they did so.
    It?s interesting to learn that they were able to narrow those matches to about 100 men, and then they ran down that list.

Thread Information