Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Two black men were arrested waiting at a Starbucks. Now the company, police are on the defensive.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    FYI regarding the article:

The journalism isn't the part that shows her bias. It includes screenshots of her own posts from Facebook and that's what I was passing along. Unless you're insinuating that they photo shopped her posts and that they're fake (slam dunk to get sued), I don't understand what you consider not to be legitimate.

I'm sorry that you feel like you're getting singled out. This is a serious problem in our country, especially now with the political climate geared toward open racism. People are going to take others discounting events like this as a direct threat towards progress.

ETA: I'm trusting what the eye witnesses have said which is that they weren't being aggressive, didn't swear and didn't do anything wrong.

Not the police reports that were filed by the racist manager and the police that held them unnecessarily for 8 hours. So.... Ya know.
    Last edited by Boston Babe 73; 04-21-2018 at 04:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    FYI regarding the article:

The journalism isn't the part that shows her bias. It includes screenshots of her own posts from Facebook and that's what I was passing along. Unless you're insinuating that they photo shopped her posts and that they're fake (slam dunk to get sued), I don't understand what you consider not to be legitimate.

I'm sorry that you feel like you're getting singled out. This is a serious problem in our country, especially now with the political climate geared toward open racism. People are going to take others discounting events like this as a direct threat towards progress.

ETA: I'm trusting what the eye witnesses have said which is that they weren't being aggressive, didn't swear and didn't do anything wrong.

Not the police reports that were filed by the racist manager and the police that held them unnecessarily for 8 hours. So.... Ya know.
    Oh yes, I completely agree that it's a problem in the country and has been for awhile. So is ethical, factual reporting since we have been become exposed to a 24hrs/day news cycle. Hence my skepticism about anything I read on the news and desire to seek the 'truth'.

I don't know that I think the police report was factual, just that it was reported so I added it to my arsenal of information and just like everything else, it made me want to ask questions.

As far as that article, it just felt sketch. With all the "allegedly this is her" (which is basically making the reader question question the accuracy) and the relaying of a supposed interview. I dunno, can she sue for slander/defamation/libel since the words "allegedly" and "she wouldn't give her last name" were used? I guess I do not know what her fb posts are saying (I don't think they are photoshopped) if that is the manager. It's hard to understand her lingo, but I guess I thought it said she was frustrated that she never got to use her Spanish skillz on customers because everyone who walked in spoke every language BUT Spanish (and then a 'joke' that that was rude?). I'll have to re-read it.

At this point I am obviously over-explaining myself and want you guys to know I'm a nice enough gal who just wants to ask questions. I can understand why people thought I was one of THOSE people and I wish I could assure you that I am not because I like the climate here and would like to stick around.
    Sarcastic. Skeptic Tank. Self-deprecating.

I think every white person should protest Starbuck's by going in and ordering a coffee black, no cappuccino or latte, straight up black.
    Gooble goble gooble goble one of us one of us. t(-_-)t

Quote Originally Posted by Non_Saepe View Post
    Oh yes, I completely agree that it's a problem in the country and has been for awhile. So is ethical, factual reporting since we have been become exposed to a 24hrs/day news cycle. Hence my skepticism about anything I read on the news and desire to seek the 'truth'.

I don't know that I think the police report was factual, just that it was reported so I added it to my arsenal of information and just like everything else, it made me want to ask questions.

As far as that article, it just felt sketch. With all the "allegedly this is her" (which is basically making the reader question question the accuracy) and the relaying of a supposed interview. I dunno, can she sue for slander/defamation/libel since the words "allegedly" and "she wouldn't give her last name" were used? I guess I do not know what her fb posts are saying (I don't think they are photoshopped) if that is the manager. It's hard to understand her lingo, but I guess I thought it said she was frustrated that she never got to use her Spanish skillz on customers because everyone who walked in spoke every language BUT Spanish (and then a 'joke' that that was rude?). I'll have to re-read it.

At this point I am obviously over-explaining myself and want you guys to know I'm a nice enough gal who just wants to ask questions. I can understand why people thought I was one of THOSE people and I wish I could assure you that I am not because I like the climate here and would like to stick around.
    Maybe you should investigate why this IS a racial and biased issue as hard as you're denying that it is.

Look. We've given you MORE THAN MULTIPLE reasons why it is and you STILL insist that it isn't. If used the same conspiracy e theories that you're using to make this something that should be sympathized with a racist manager with what is actually truth, you'd get it. But you clearly won't.

Enjoy your white privilege. It must be nice.

Try, for once, to understand how offensive your insistence is to people that don't have your luxury.

I think it's opposite. People use the word allegedly to avoid being sued.

Personally, I have a problem with the misuse of devils advocate and skepticism because the racists use these techniques constantly to justify atrocities done to people of color. Skepticism isn't cute when it's used to question someone's experience of racism (sexism, heterosexism, etc.). Like, if there are conflicting reports out there and you are more than happy to use that as an indication that it isn't racism (see: wait for the facts) you might have them biases.

I'm actually surprised no one has looked to see if these particular guys were arrested for smoking weed at a park yet. Any reason to paint them as the aggressors (see: they're no angels).
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post

Personally, I have a problem with the misuse of devils advocate and skepticism because the racists use these techniques constantly to justify atrocities done to people of color. Skepticism isn't cute when it's used to question someone's experience of racism (sexism, heterosexism, etc.). Like, if there are conflicting reports out there and you are more than happy to use that as an indication that it isn't racism (see: wait for the facts) you might have them biases.

I'm actually surprised no one has looked to see if these particular guys were arrested for smoking weed at a park yet. Any reason to paint them as the aggressors (see: they're no angels).
    You think they didn't? They must be clean. You would have heard about ANY arrest by now!
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    You think they didn't? They must be clean. You would have heard about ANY arrest by now!
    Like that's stopped them before (see: Trayvon Martin's "current pic")

Like that's stopped them before (see: Trayvon Martin's "current pic")
    Hmmmm, that's a solid fucking point. Not even anything fake yet. Weird.

Yea, racists can't stop with that shit. Trayvon was a hulking beast of a football player, cause the fact that some animal stalked and murdered some skinny kid is too much for them. The reason "the media" never shows you those pics is because they don't fucking exist. Ugh, that shit angers me so much.

Maybe you should investigate why this IS a racial and biased issue as hard as you're denying that it is.

Look. We've given you MORE THAN MULTIPLE reasons why it is and you STILL insist that it isn't. If used the same conspiracy e theories that you're using to make this something that should be sympathized with a racist manager with what is actually truth, you'd get it. But you clearly won't.

Enjoy your white privilege. It must be nice.

Try, for once, to understand how offensive your insistence is to people that don't have your luxury.
    I'm not denying anything. All I did was ask questions. I know it's hard to get to see me as a human being when you are clearly very passionate about this, but you have missed all of my points and shown me a tabloid as proof. My past few posts have been addressing critical thinking in today's 24/hrs/day news cycle. Sadly I forgot all about Starbucks because I was was trying to help you understand my reasoning, a fool's errand. You have never asked me what I think happened. You made assumptions because I asked for clarifications. Not everyone is a conservative, racist, Trump supporter of their worldview differs from yours. Take off your blinders and try to listen to people if they are putting themselves out there and respectfully opening up a discourse with you, yeah?

As for Rashon and Donte, they seem positive and hopeful about this opening up the doors of communication regarding racism in Starbucks. I wonder if the company is working with them to implement their unconscious bias trading? I hope so. Maybe that can be their new business opportunity to change their lives.

And guess what? Although I feel race plays a starring role in why the cops arrested them, I'm still in the dark about why the manager called. I know, I know, she's a racist cunt because you say so. I should just accept the 'facts' about that.

I meant that the word allegedly was used to avoid a lawsuit too, sorry if that wasn't clear.

As far as devil's advocate and skepticism, I don't consider it thinly veiled racism in my instance. It's having a hypothesis and trying to disprove it from all angles to see how strong the argument is. I can understand why you would think otherwise and I don't know how to remedy it.

Her Facebook posts are not "tabloid". They're what she said in her own words and the actual banter between she and her friends about how "rude" certain nationalities are. But yet.... You decide it's something to do with her being excited about using her Spanish speaking skills *eyeroll*

That's exactly why you're being met with opposition. Because when something that's concrete evidence of her having a bias is presented, you instead make excuses for it �� calling it "tabloid".

I'm speaking of her own posts. Not the article.

Let's refresh your memory:

Tell me again that she doesn't judge people by their ethnicity and that this is just a case of her "Being excited to use her HS Spanish".

Let's refresh your memory:

Tell me again that she doesn't judge people by their ethnicity and that this is just a case of her "Being excited to use her HS Spanish".
    I mean, I reread it and it sounds like young people speak.
    "I wish I was there to speak Spanish! We only get non Spanish speaking people, how rude"

That doesn't sound like a joke? Why do you want me to explain myself when you can't let your guard down and have a conversation about seeing other people's views? You can't shut down to people you don't agree with. No change is enacted that way.

I'm sorry you don't understand where I'm coming from. I've tried very hard to explain myself.

I'm shutting down the views of someone that is trying to weakly justify someone that has obvious bias issues.

There's a difference.

I'm shutting down the views of someone that is trying to weakly justify someone that has obvious bias issues.

There's a difference.
    And you cannot for one moment consider that I am not doing that? Is there no where on this message board that someone could take your posts out of context and make you look racist? And you are completely ignoring the fact that I never said what she did was okay. What if I DO think she is a racist bitch but do not think those posts reflect that? Maybe take it down a notch, imagine how you would react if my opinions came from the mouth of someone you respected? You are trying to make me the face for everything you hate about racism/white privilege/apologists, etc. all because I asked questions and offered anecdotal evidence in the same way everyone else did, to show where I'm coming from.

I heard you. I apologized. I saw your point of view. I have tried very hard to explain myself the best I can. If you want to drop it and continue to villainize me, that's your prerogative. If you want to try to find common ground regarding Starbucks unconditional bias training and whether or not it will do any good-or anything else, I have enough respect for you as a person to discuss that and move on.
    Sarcastic. Skeptic Tank. Self-deprecating.

And you cannot for one moment consider that I am not doing that? Is there no where on this message board that someone could take your posts out of context and make you look racist? And you are completely ignoring the fact that I never said what she did was okay. What if I DO think she is a racist bitch but do not think those posts reflect that? Maybe take it down a notch, imagine how you would react if my opinions came from the mouth of someone you respected? You are trying to make me the face for everything you hate about racism/white privilege/apologists, etc. all because I asked questions and offered anecdotal evidence in the same way everyone else did, to show where I'm coming from.

I heard you. I apologized. I saw your point of view. I have tried very hard to explain myself the best I can. If you want to drop it and continue to villainize me, that's your prerogative. If you want to try to find common ground regarding Starbucks unconditional bias training and whether or not it will do any good-or anything else, I have enough respect for you as a person to discuss that and move on.
    Nobody here said you were racist. Just that you seem hell bent on defending one. Guilty conscience?

Nobody here said you were racist. Just that you seem hell bent on defending one. Guilty conscience?
    Alright Boston, you win.

I'm not denying anything. All I did was ask questions. I know it's hard to get to see me as a human being when you are clearly very passionate about this, but you have missed all of my points and shown me a tabloid as proof. My past few posts have been addressing critical thinking in today's 24/hrs/day news cycle. Sadly I forgot all about Starbucks because I was was trying to help you understand my reasoning, a fool's errand. You have never asked me what I think happened. You made assumptions because I asked for clarifications. Not everyone is a conservative, racist, Trump supporter of their worldview differs from yours. Take off your blinders and try to listen to people if they are putting themselves out there and respectfully opening up a discourse with you, yeah?

As for Rashon and Donte, they seem positive and hopeful about this opening up the doors of communication regarding racism in Starbucks. I wonder if the company is working with them to implement their unconscious bias trading? I hope so. Maybe that can be their new business opportunity to change their lives.

And guess what? Although I feel race plays a starring role in why the cops arrested them, I'm still in the dark about why the manager called. I know, I know, she's a racist cunt because you say so. I should just accept the 'facts' about that.
    WHAT IS SO DIFFICULT ABOUT THIS!?!?

Calling the cops on black people doing nothing IS NOT FUCKING NEW and it's VERY wide spread.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.dfb8651dca5f

I don't know why you need articles and research to know about this shit, but there you go.

I'm going to be honest and say that while those screenshots display ignorance and are othering of minority customers, it isn't screaming explicit racism which strengthens the idea that she is severely lacking in awareness of her bias. It's basically "omg people who speak languages are strange and exotic and not like us lol!"

I'm putting this in the she's probably quicker to make stupid judgements about non-white people than white people box even if she is not intentionally and explicitly racist (jury's still out on that).

Did you see that one about the black cop looking for bullet casings in between houses one night who got a call from dispatch about a suspicious black man dressed in a cop uniform looking into people's houses?

I'm going to be honest and say that while those screenshots display ignorance and are othering of minority customers, it isn't screaming explicit racism which strengthens the idea that she is severely lacking in awareness of her bias. It's basically "omg people who speak languages are strange and exotic and not like us lol!"

I'm putting this in the she's probably quicker to make stupid judgements about non-white people than white people box even if she is not intentionally and explicitly racist (jury's still out on that).
    Yep. Racism isn't just burning crosses, sometimes it's trying to justify why police were right to shoot an 11-year old black kid.

Did you see that one about the black cop looking for bullet casings in between houses one night who got a call from dispatch about a suspicious black man dressed in a cop uniform looking into people's houses?
    Haha I was just trying to find it. Read the article I linked, shit is ridiculous.

It made me realize why copsuckers say that "next time you need help, call a crackhead" shit. White people call the police cause their neighbor's grass is too high.
    They can't grasp that there are people who don't call the cops everytime someone darker than a pair of khakis walks past our house.

Last edited by Ron_NYC; 04-23-2018 at 07:38 PM.

Yep. Racism isn't just burning crosses, sometimes it's trying to justify why police were right to shoot an 11-year old black kid.

Haha I was just trying to find it. Read the article I linked, shit is ridiculous.

It made me realize why copsuckers say that "next time you need help, call a crackhead" shit. White people call the police cause their neighbor's grass is too high.
    They can't grasp that there are people who don't call the cops everytime someone darker than a pair of khakis walks past our house.

Yeah, that article brings up some important shit about the effects of gentrification. It's justified like, duh! Calling the cops makes the community safer! We are doing them a favor by moving in and being aware of what needs to change! Bitch, you just colonized. Again.

The other day I was putting on make up in my car early in the morning and some unibomber looking dude was all alone by a lamppost with a security camera looking sketch as fuck while pulling out a long cable and then winding it up. When he was almost done winding, a white maintenance truck pulled up and helped the guy finish and they both drove away. I watched the dude for like 15 minutes thinking woah, is he seriously ripping off electrical shit at 7 am? Anyway, obviously he wasn't. I told a classmate about it and she was like, did you call the cops?

What was my point again? Oh yeah. Don't call the cops because you are probably wrong and that's how people die.

Thread Information