Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Two black men were arrested waiting at a Starbucks. Now the company, police are on the defensive.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    Double post but I don't care:

I'm the first person that will point out when racism is being used as an empty excuse. You can ask Queena herself that I DON'T let the "racist card" be used in instances where it isn't warranted. We had an EPIC argument that involved Sonic on here years ago over this same subject.

In this instance, it's perfectly clear that they were treated differently not because they didn't order anything, not because they were being disruptive but BECAUSE THEY WERE BLACK. By BOTH the Manager AND the Police and it's disgusting.

I have personally gone in to many a Starbucks without purchasing a God damned thing and given the code to use the bathroom. I've PERSONALLY WITNESSED homeless try the same and be denied. They're absolutely decisive on WHO is allowed to do that. That's not "policy", it's a fucking FACT.

So stop with the crap. We all know what happened here and it needs to be addressed.

If you deny anything different, then you're an ignorant dick that obviously never had the misfortune of being singled out for something that you had zero control over.

Don't be that person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

You guys are being unnecessary harsh with me. I stated my opinion, I asked honest questions that went unanswered, and I said I was willing to have my mind changed. Instead of discussion, I was met with "you're wrong and a dick and I've loitered before and obviously you've never been met with adversity!"

It's clear differing opinions are not welcome when it comes to race issues. I accept that and I'll leave you all to it.

One thing I'm confused about...did the manager ask them to leave, and they refused? Is that why she called the police?

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    One thing I'm confused about...did the manager ask them to leave, and they refused? Is that why she called the police?
    All the articles I've read say they asked to use the restroom, she said the restroom was for paying customers only and they had to buy something. They sat down and refused to buy something. They refused to leave. I'm not sure when they said they were waiting for someone but I'd be nervous too if two men refused to leave a caf? after I asked them to repeatedly.

I can't understand why no one else can see that the manager called the police because they refused to buy something or leave, not because they were black. And I wonder what I am missing.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston Babe 73 View Post
    Double post but I don't care:

I'm the first person that will point out when racism is being used as an empty excuse. You can ask Queena herself that I DON'T let the "racist card" be used in instances where it isn't warranted. We had an EPIC argument that involved Sonic on here years ago over this same subject.

In this instance, it's perfectly clear that they were treated differently not because they didn't order anything, not because they were being disruptive but BECAUSE THEY WERE BLACK. By BOTH the Manager AND the Police and it's disgusting.

I have personally gone in to many a Starbucks without purchasing a God damned thing and given the code to use the bathroom. I've PERSONALLY WITNESSED homeless try the same and be denied. They're absolutely decisive on WHO is allowed to do that. That's not "policy", it's a fucking FACT.

So stop with the crap. We all know what happened here and it needs to be addressed.

If you deny anything different, then you're an ignorant dick that obviously never had the misfortune of being singled out for something that you had zero control over.

Don't be that person.

Quote Originally Posted by Non_Saepe View Post
    You guys are being unnecessary harsh with me. I stated my opinion, I asked honest questions that went unanswered, and I said I was willing to have my mind changed. Instead of discussion, I was met with "you're wrong and a dick and I've loitered before and obviously you've never been met with adversity!"

It's clear differing opinions are not welcome when it comes to race issues. I accept that and I'll leave you all to it.
    Finally you get it.
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

All the articles I've read say they asked to use the restroom, she said the restroom was for paying customers only and they had to buy something. They sat down and refused to buy something. They refused to leave. I'm not sure when they said they were waiting for someone but I'd be nervous too if two men refused to leave a caf? after I asked them to repeatedly.

I can't understand why no one else can see that the manager called the police because they refused to buy something or leave, not because they were black. And I wonder what I am missing.
    No one is really going to engage you because (well, I guess I can only speak for myself) you obviously get your news from right-leaning opinion pieces.

https://townhall.com/columnists/rach...bucks-n2471316

The Left Loses It Over Two Black Men Arrested in Starbucks

Lately it’s become amusing to watch the left hold itself up to impossible, ridiculous standards. This time they are calling for a boycott of Starbucks over the arrest of two young black men who were hanging out in the coffee shop without ordering anything. They were reportedly waiting for a friend to show up for a meeting. When police asked them to leave, they refused, so the police arrested them. Philadelphia Police Commissioner Richard Ross, who is black, defended his officers, saying the pair were asked three times by police to leave.

The left claims that the two black men were racially profiled and that is the real reason they were arrested. However, one of the police officers who helped arrest the pair is black — but don’t expect to read that anywhere. An observer caught the arrest on camera and it soon went viral. The hashtag #BoycottStarbucks was started. Activists are calling for sit-ins at Starbucks without ordering anything in order to make a statement, daring employees to call the police on them.

At worst, there was an employee who decided to call the police because the two men were black. If so, that employee, who was the manager, should be disciplined. But to blame the entire chain on the actions of what may have been a rogue employee? The coffee shop where the incident took place is located in Philadelphia. What are its policies on loitering, and have employees called the police on whites loitering before? It may have been a regular practice that had nothing to do with race but crime in the area. Were the men acting suspiciously? Did the manager recognize them? Without knowing more details, it’s too soon to conclude it was the result of racism.

Starbucks is owned and managed by people on the left. The company goes out of its way to promote diversity. No one really believes Starbucks is a racist company. Tarnishing Starbucks’ reputation and business chainwide over the actions of one possible rogue employee is overkill and a punishment that doesn’t fit the offense. Starbucks CEO Kevin Johnson apologized to the two men and said the store manager never intended for them to be arrested.

But this is becoming a common occurrence on the left, to turn on itself over impossible standards. It is currently doing the same thing with the #MeToo movement. Starbucks has 238,000 employees. To ensure that not even one of them ever does something wrong in regards to race, sex, etc. is unrealistic. Yet the left has now become convinced that anything other than these impossible standards is racist. One critic tweeted, “It may be 2018, but it seems we still need a strong civil rights movement now more than ever.” Another compared it to “the lunch counter battle of the 1960s all over again.” Racism has been eradicated more than ever in the U.S., but you’d never know it from the progressives trying to blow up any incident, no matter how small or mistaken.

In San Luis Obispo, activists made a scene last week out of a racial incident. Minority students boycotted Cal Poly’s annual Open House to protest a fraternity member who wore blackface. Twenty years ago, no one would have thought twice about someone painting their face black. Now, one rogue person who engages in the behavior results in tarnishing an entire institution. The university was not responsible for the student’s actions, nor would it have approved of them. An article about the incident drastically asked, “Is Cal Poly Safe for Minorities?” The fraternity member apologized, saying “[M]y ill-informed decision to paint my face black had nothing whatsoever to do with racism or discrimination.” Cal Poly has over 20,000 students. It cannot possibly police the actions of every student when it comes to political correctness.

The left claims that the right is full of fascists dictating how people should live their lives, but this is proof it’s the left that is taking their viewpoints to an oppressive level. When the left won’t even let itself operate normally, you know the situation has gotten out of control.

Please allow me to clarify, as I am misunderstood here and some incorrect assumptions are being thrown my way.

I do not get my news from right-leaning news sources. I'm left-leaning (I guess, I'm a little too lazy for politics but always vote democrat).

I live in a city where it is okay to loiter in the suburbs but within the city limits, you better buy something or get out. When I worked for BP Gasoline in the 90s, it was 'company policy' that no one could use the employee-only restroom. As I did my round of stores in the management training program, I noticed that the rule was relaxed in the suburbs and strictly enforced in the city. This is where I draw my experience from. In the city of Dayton, loitering is bad news. I didn't make the rules but I did have to enforce them no matter how genuine/legit the person seemed. Dayton is still a very segregated city but this rule held fast whether I worked on the East Side (mostly white) or the West Side (mostly black). I would never dream of hanging around a store in Dayton without buying something. And if someone told me to buy something or get out, I would do one or the other. This is where my opinion forms on the matter, through my own experience.

I'm aware of racial profiling. I grew up in extreme poverty (Dayton is a 'food-desert' and poor as fuck) and have not been afforded many privileges in life. Maybe it seems like I'm a white republican conservative simply because I side with the manager of the establishment but that is my initial view of the matter. I break it down to a simple "People were asked to buy something or leave. They refused. That's an act of defiance. Defiance is bad in an establishment when you are trying to take care of all the customers."

So, my question, my point, is what are the facts? Why were they defiant? What did they have to gain by refusing the manager's request? Instead of tearing me down, why not engage in discussion to enlighten me?

I'm a skeptic, I need the facts. I want a discussion on whether this was a race issue (gimme proof!) or whether it was a defiant act by rude customers (again, gimme proof!) Because I have seen no proof of either but my my personal experience tells me they were defiant.

I said I was willing to have my view changed. In that vein, I can see how people are upset and assuming they were kicked out because they were black. But what made you come to this conclusion? I have yet to see evidence that they were completely innocent in this mess.

Ron, thanks for the article. RBW, thanks for the response that didn't attack me personally. Queena and Boston, thanks for being passionate about this matter.
    Sarcastic. Skeptic Tank. Self-deprecating.

This is straight up racism: http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2...g_2_men_o.html

They weren't "loitering" and were paying members. There is no way to justify this.

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man" -Charles Darwin

Chelsea, if you are a ghost and reading mds, I command you to walk into the light.

This is straight up racism: http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2...g_2_men_o.html

They weren't "loitering" and were paying members. There is no way to justify this.
    Angie, this link led me to a story about two dudes getting arrested at an LA Fitness store in New Jersey. I scrolled down but didn't see a relevant article? Or are you pointing out the differences between that situation and the one in Starbucks?

Never have I been a blue, calm sea...I have always been a storm.
    Please allow me to clarify, as I am misunderstood here and some incorrect assumptions are being thrown my way.

I do not get my news from right-leaning news sources. I'm left-leaning (I guess, I'm a little too lazy for politics but always vote democrat).

I live in a city where it is okay to loiter in the suburbs but within the city limits, you better buy something or get out. When I worked for BP Gasoline in the 90s, it was 'company policy' that no one could use the employee-only restroom. As I did my round of stores in the management training program, I noticed that the rule was relaxed in the suburbs and strictly enforced in the city. This is where I draw my experience from. In the city of Dayton, loitering is bad news. I didn't make the rules but I did have to enforce them no matter how genuine/legit the person seemed. Dayton is still a very segregated city but this rule held fast whether I worked on the East Side (mostly white) or the West Side (mostly black). I would never dream of hanging around a store in Dayton without buying something. And if someone told me to buy something or get out, I would do one or the other. This is where my opinion forms on the matter, through my own experience.

I'm aware of racial profiling. I grew up in extreme poverty (Dayton is a 'food-desert' and poor as fuck) and have not been afforded many privileges in life. Maybe it seems like I'm a white republican conservative simply because I side with the manager of the establishment but that is my initial view of the matter. I break it down to a simple "People were asked to buy something or leave. They refused. That's an act of defiance. Defiance is bad in an establishment when you are trying to take care of all the customers."

So, my question, my point, is what are the facts? Why were they defiant? What did they have to gain by refusing the manager's request? Instead of tearing me down, why not engage in discussion to enlighten me?

I'm a skeptic, I need the facts. I want a discussion on whether this was a race issue (gimme proof!) or whether it was a defiant act by rude customers (again, gimme proof!) Because I have seen no proof of either but my my personal experience tells me they were defiant.

I said I was willing to have my view changed. In that vein, I can see how people are upset and assuming they were kicked out because they were black. But what made you come to this conclusion? I have yet to see evidence that they were completely innocent in this mess.

Ron, thanks for the article. RBW, thanks for the response that didn't attack me personally. Queena and Boston, thanks for being passionate about this matter.
    After looking at the video, listening/reading what witnesses had to say, in my opinion it was clearly discrimination against the two African American men.

This is something occurring time and time again in our country so it does evoke a great deal of anger and passion among many of us. I do not think anyone intended to tear you down and hope you continue to ask questions and share your opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by Bewitchingstorm View Post
    After looking at the video, listening/reading what witnesses had to say, in my opinion it was clearly discrimination against the two African American men.

This is something occurring time and time again in our country so it does evoke a great deal of anger and passion among many of us. I do not think anyone intended to tear you down and hope you continue to ask questions and share your opinions.
    Thank you, Bewitching. I should have made it more clear that I DO understand it is such a hot-button issue. And maybe if everyone knew I was a real person asking genuine questions, this conversation would have fared better. I look forward to future discussions (even if they tear me down!) I sincerely desire answers and thank you all for providing them.

Angie, this link led me to a story about two dudes getting arrested at an LA Fitness store in New Jersey. I scrolled down but didn't see a relevant article? Or are you pointing out the differences between that situation and the one in Starbucks?
    It is a different story. Sorry to confuse. Carry on...

It is a different story. Sorry to confuse. Carry on...
    I confuse easily. no big whoop.

I was writing a big long thing, but I think it's already been said so I'm just going to add my vote for: obviously super racist and if you don't understand this, you are working with some serious biases that should be check out.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    I was writing a big long thing, but I think it's already been said so I'm just going to add my vote for: obviously super racist and if you don't understand this, you are working with some serious biases that should be check out.
    It's sad that you can't be bothered to explain. If people don't agree with me I do not assume the worst things about that person. (oh you have a differing opinion? You must be a racist who voted for Trump!) Seriously, how can some of you be so stubborn? If more people were open to discussion, the world maybe wouldn't be such a shitty place full of US vs. THEM.

It's hard to take anyone serious who just name calls and blurts "BECAUSE I SAID SO" when questions are raised. Reminds me of the president. I'm sure this does not bother anyone in the slightest that I think that.

But look, I get it. I'm noob. I'm just letters on a screen and not a real-life, thoughtful person. It's easier to take a jab at me if I remain anonymous to you and I can tell there isn't much desire to hear me out.

Thanks to those who were nice to me and engaged in discussion. I may not be the smartest person in the world but I know to not stay where I'm not wanted. I'll return to lurker-status.

It's sad that you can't be bothered to explain. If people don't agree with me I do not assume the worst things about that person. (oh you have a differing opinion? You must be a racist who voted for Trump!) Seriously, how can some of you be so stubborn? If more people were open to discussion, the world maybe wouldn't be such a shitty place full of US vs. THEM.

It's hard to take anyone serious who just name calls and blurts "BECAUSE I SAID SO" when questions are raised. Reminds me of the president. I'm sure this does not bother anyone in the slightest that I think that.

But look, I get it. I'm noob. I'm just letters on a screen and not a real-life, thoughtful person. It's easier to take a jab at me if I remain anonymous to you and I can tell there isn't much desire to hear me out.

Thanks to those who were nice to me and engaged in discussion. I may not be the smartest person in the world but I know to not stay where I'm not wanted. I'll return to lurker-status.
    I think the reason people are not understanding how you're not seeing it for what it is is because given numerous examples pointing to the fact that it's obviously a case of racism, you refuse to believe that it actually could be. This is despite examples of racism even after this incident and eye witnesses present at the location claiming that it was beyond a doubt a case of the manager being biased. I guess you know more than they do.

Find an example of someone White that was not only singled out by a Starbucks employee, but had the cops called on them and then detained for 8 hours and then we'll have something to discuss. Until then, you seem to be insisting on turning this incident in to a non issue which is easy for someone who is not a POC to do.

P.S. Homeless White people don't count because they're treated differently too.

Previous posts that are totally not racist made by the Manager that called the police on the men:

https://newsone.com/3794036/white-wo...ial-profiling/

But she's not biased.

Starbucks is overpriced crap coffee anyways, I'll continue to use my McApp where every 5th I buy i get my choice of a free McCafe. Edit: Starbuck's Chai tea lattes are good but that's it.
    Last edited by puke; 04-19-2018 at 07:14 PM.
    Gooble goble gooble goble one of us one of us. t(-_-)t

Quote Originally Posted by puke View Post
    Starbucks is overpriced crap coffee anyways, I'll continue to use my McApp where every 5th I buy i get my choice of a free McCafe. Edit: Starbuck's Chai tea lattes are good but that's it.
    I've honestly never liked them. I'm a Dunkins girl and even when Dunkins wasn't out west, I would get my coffee either from home or 7-11. I get gift cards from my clients all of the time and I just give them to homeless people. I've never understood why they're so popular. You pay an arm and a leg for a drink you can barely pronounce that pretty much tastes the same as any number of flavored mini moos that can be added to regular coffee.

I DID do the Unicorn Frappe thingie they had just because it was a novelty though.

I think the reason people are not understanding how you're not seeing it for what it is is because given numerous examples pointing to the fact that it's obviously a case of racism, you refuse to believe that it actually could be. This is despite examples of racism even after this incident and eye witnesses present at the location claiming that it was beyond a doubt a case of the manager being biased. I guess you know more than they do.

Find an example of someone White that was not only singled out by a Starbucks employee, but had the cops called on them and then detained for 8 hours and then we'll have something to discuss. Until then, you seem to be insisting on turning this incident in to a non issue which is easy for someone who is not a POC to do.

P.S. Homeless White people don't count because they're treated differently too.
    Not just that, but I think she's actually said they "must have done more" and that's the attitude I just can't get. Yay, victim blaming!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_NYC View Post
    Not just that, but I think she's actually said they "must have done more" and that's the attitude I just can't get. Yay, victim blaming!
    Well, that's another issue. Yes, assholes come in every color, Creed and religion. But to jump to the conclusion that somehow THEY did something wrong rather than trusting the people that were there that this was a bullshit incident brought on by some manager that has a beef with customers that are anything but White is not cool at all.

I hate to say this, but most of the time POC know better than to cause any kind of scene because they are well aware that they'll end up on the shit end of that stick. Unlike the tremendous amounts of crazy White people I've seen push the envelope HORRENDOUSLY just because they can and get away with it.

Safe to say that I'm going to trust that they weren't being belligerent assholes like some people are trying to say because of pure FEAR of what that kind of thing brings. It's seriously tragic.

Well, that's another issue. Yes, assholes come in every color, Creed and religion. But to jump to the conclusion that somehow THEY did something wrong rather than trusting the people that were there that this was a bullshit incident brought on by some manager that has a beef with customers that are anything but White is not cool at all.

I hate to say this, but most of the time POC know better than to cause any kind of scene because they are well aware that they'll end up on the shit end of that stick. Unlike the tremendous amounts of crazy White people I've seen push the envelope HORRENDOUSLY just because they can and get away with it.

Safe to say that I'm going to trust that they weren't being belligerent assholes like some people are trying to say because of pure FEAR of what that kind of thing brings. It's seriously tragic.
    The only people I've heard saying these guys acted like assholes are the people commenting online.

Like I said, my point is reflected in what others said already. There is no reason for me to rehash. I didn't name call, I just said that anyone who doesn't see this as racism needs to work on their bias. You obviously have a bias. I have them too, in other areas and sometimes in this one. I work on them and listen to what others say so that I can learn from them. It's a constant struggle towards inclusion for me whereas it appears to be a constant struggle against for you. You can either try to understand or you can pretend to try to understand while plugging your ears.

If you really need my point of view, here is an anecdote: I have gone to countless meetings at Starbucks and other places and didn't order until my party arrived. Usually, I'm never approached by employees, or if I am, most often, the response is "can I get you a water or something while you wait?" It has never once escalated to "you need to leave" or "I'm calling the police."

All my interactions with police have ended with them telling me that they are going to swing back around to make sure I'm gone, even when I was caught readhanded, hotboxing my car on a private road. There was ample evidence to arrest me for trespass or possession, but I got a free pass. So when a manager calls the cops on two black men waiting for a friend before they order instead of offering them a cup of water or a cop arrests the black men instead of telling them they be back in 15 minutes to make sure they've left, I can clearly see an obvious difference in behavior towards them versus me.

Correction: at the very least, my experiences have led me to choose to believe he story of the two black men who I saw acting very calm despite their circumstances and the multiple witnesses who agree the whole situation was uncalled for before I knee jerk try to rationalize how it may be possible that it wasn't actually racially motivated.

Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    Correction: at the very least, my experiences have led me to choose to believe he story of the two black men who I saw acting very calm despite their circumstances and the multiple witnesses who agree the whole situation was uncalled for before I knee jerk try to rationalize how it may be possible that it wasn't actually racially motivated.
    Thanks for your comments everyone. I too based my reaction on my experience of having to kick people out of establishments in urban areas. I wish I could make you see that I'm not right-leaning or racist and that I side-eye any white officer/black man altercations. Happens all the time in my city. I was simply asking questions. Never said it wasn't racism and I don't think I said they must have done something. Just asked questions. It's my skeptic nature, which I am aware can be a blessing and a curse.

Boston, I thank you for the article you posted but I do not really consider that legit journalism. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I get a lot of my news from NPR and in this article it was reported:

"A police report states the men cursed at the manager after she told them bathrooms are for customers only.

She called 911 to report that the men were not making a purchase and were refusing to leave."

I believe it is reasonable for me to ask questions after reading that from what I consider to be a reliable, unbiased news source.

Thanks again every one. I've dug inside myself to see where my biases are hiding.

Thread Information