Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Two black men were arrested waiting at a Starbucks. Now the company, police are on the defensive.

Certified Grumple Bottoms Ron_NYC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by animosity View Post
    Yeah, that article brings up some important shit about the effects of gentrification. It's justified like, duh! Calling the cops makes the community safer! We are doing them a favor by moving in and being aware of what needs to change! Bitch, you just colonized. Again.
    Well if you're not white, at any given time for simply existing you need to be ready to comply with the police and spend the night in jail.
    Quote Originally Posted by bowieluva View Post
    Ron was the best part, hands down.

The other day I was putting on make up in my car early in the morning and some unibomber looking dude was all alone by a lamppost with a security camera looking sketch as fuck while pulling out a long cable and then winding it up. When he was almost done winding, a white maintenance truck pulled up and helped the guy finish and they both drove away. I watched the dude for like 15 minutes thinking woah, is he seriously ripping off electrical shit at 7 am? Anyway, obviously he wasn't. I told a classmate about it and she was like, did you call the cops?

What was my point again? Oh yeah. Don't call the cops because you are probably wrong and that's how people die.
    Oh my God.

What do you care? Boston Babe 73's Avatar
    From what I've heard, there were others there that didn't purchase anything yet and were waiting for people, yet weren't asked to leave. The only people asked to leave were black. If it were policy, I don't understand why they were singled out.

To me the jury isn't out on if she's racist because to single out a group of people and call them rude is pretty much the definition of making assumptions based on race which is.... Racist. If she hadn't called them rude, then I'd have to say the jury was out on it, but not for me based on how she's singling certain nationalities/races out and calling THEM something specific.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nic B View Post
    That is too pretty to be shoved up an ass.
    You can take those Fleets and shove them up your ass

eh well, in the context, i don't see that comment as her calling people rude for speaking Chinese, Japanese or Arabic. i saw it, as non did, as a dumb, tone deaf joke about them not speaking the only language she has any familiarity with. like i said - biased and racially insensitive and most definitely implicitly racist. i didn't say she isn't racist, just (from that post, in my opinion) not obviously intentionally and explicitly racist. the whole idea of implicit racism is that you behave based on your unconsciously held beliefs about a group of people without fully understanding why you are doing so. it is a normal and natural reaction for you and you don't make the connection between that and racism.

explicit racists have no problem telling you they are, implicit racists don't even realize they are.
    Last edited by animosity; 04-24-2018 at 07:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by songbirdsong View Post
    "Say, you know who could handle this penis? MY MOTHER."

eh well, in the context, i don't see that comment as her calling people rude for speaking Chinese, Japanese or Arabic. i saw it, as non did, as a dumb, tone deaf joke about them not speaking the only language she has any familiarity with. like i said - biased and racially insensitive and most definitely implicitly racist. i didn't say she isn't racist, just (from that post, in my opinion) not obviously intentionally and explicitly racist. the whole idea of implicit racism is that you behave based on your unconsciously held beliefs about a group of people without fully understanding why you are doing so. it is a normal and natural reaction for you and you don't make the connection between that and racism.

explicit racists have no problem telling you they are, implicit racists don't even realize they are.
    I see what you're saying there and you may be right about her being somewhat unconscious to it. It's e two pronged here. She obviously singled them out and then the cops came in and treated them like complete shit as well.

In my mind, it probably went down sometng like this -

Guys are sitting there waiting for friend, like everyone else.

One guy goes up to the girl and asks for the restroom key. Brings attention to himself as a person who is living while black.

Woman's bias is activated and her mind quickly assesses the scene from a white lens, has automatic thoughts of black men in groups, up to no good, loitering and causing a scene. Feels empowered by her status as a store manager (erm... white girl) and remembers the little used right to refuse service policy. Decides to act.

Guys are like, what? No. We are waiting for a friend! We're not leaving.

Girl is shocked that these (black) guys would question her authority as a (white girl) store manager and her fight or flight system is activated. She calls the cops secretly, harnessing the full power of the white patriarchical sysyem (pigs) which is always prepared to protect virtue (white girl; benevolent sexism; systemic racism).

This is what is so insidious about implicit racism - people get activated quickly without realizing it and sense danger when there is none. They are quick to make use of the sanctioned punitive systems which reinforces and confirms their bias. This happens so quick that people don't even recognize the processes are occurring.

I think it's important to think about the differences in explicit and implicit racism because they are two sides of the coin that uphold the system differently. They have to be addressed and tackled in different ways.
    Last edited by animosity; 04-25-2018 at 05:24 AM.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to animosity again.

Ah yes. The thread where everyone thought I was a right-wing white supremacist when I was really just right.

I don't know if I'm not awake yet or what but what the hell is this person suing for? For being fired for being white? This will be interesting. Starbucks has plenty of money to "fully defend our case in court".
    Sarcastic. Skeptic Tank. Self-deprecating.

No way

Quote Originally Posted by Angiebla View Post
    No way
    Agreed. This is BEYOND stupid.

Thread Information